DK Security

DK Security Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work place with music.
Security (Former Employee), Lansing, MIMay 1, 2015
Pros: Being able to hear lots of different types of music and good hours.
Cons: Not enough breaks.
I worked one week at a concert called Common Ground that is held in the summer. I would go to the main base and there I was given my position. I was given a different post every day. Management was ok. Co-workers were helpful with locations of different posts. The hardest part was being able to stand outside in the sun for long periods of time with a some breaks. The most enjoyable part was being able to hear lots of different types of music.
Security
Uniformed Security Officer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 28, 2015
Ha. Ha. Ha. This place is a joke with horrible managers. Not the people who started the company, as they were decent, but the way it is now, the way it's managed. Don't waste your time working for these people unless you are insanely desperate.
Great on site staff, no direct help from Administration
Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee), MichiganApril 13, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, staff
Cons: Pay, benefits, atmosphere, accountability, leadership, administration
Throughly enjoyed my position on my site, excellent team atmosphere with my staff. Not impressed with Administration. Too many fingers in the pot, they like to micro-manage, not provide needed equipment, paperwork, supplies, support to be productive in the company. They pay more attention to their "high profile" clients than the rest. Leadership is questionable, advancement opportunites are limited. Pay and benefits are terrible. Worked four months for the company and only one payroll cycle was accurate. Company software is difficult to use, they cut corners and go as cheap as possible to put more money in their pockets. Not an effective way to run a business. Training is non-existent, they prefer to hire individuals that have prior training to pass on to their staff to keep wages and benefits low. Mainly offer part time positions unless you're in a Supervisory or higher position, which I was, but I was not given adequate staff to fill positions and had to work shifts outside my own shift. Not a good experience with this company.
Do not work for this company
Uniform Security Guard (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 16, 2015
Cons: unorganized, unprofessional
Working for this company was terrible. Their Detroit location is completely unorganized! The supervisors were unprofessional and my check was short of $500.00 and I was not compensated for it. I advise anyone to stay away from this company.
Friendly co-workers
Security Guard (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 3, 2015
Pros: lunch was whenever you wanted
Cons: monotonous
-I really enjoyed working as a security guard for DK.
-Even though it wasn't great hours I enjoyed talking to the my fellow co-workers about topics totally unrelated to security.
-The job was very simple and straight forward
Flexible Scheduling, Comfortable Work Environment
Store Detective (Current Employee), West MichiganDecember 20, 2014
Pros: paid travel, flexible schedule
Cons: intense situations, shifts can turn much longer than scheduled
A typical day working for DK security includes walking the sales floor and watching for shoplifters, creating reports on previous retail fraud incidents, and communicating with other team members on subjects that have not been apprehended at other stores. I have learned to negotiate much more effectively as well as prioritize and organize in a useful manner. My coworkers are pleasant to work with and help to create a productive team. The hardest part of my job is apprehending people that really do need the items they have stolen. On the other hand, subjects that are apprehended and participate in Organized Retail Crime (ORC) are stopped and a positive impact is made.
Great job for extra income
Security Officer (Current Employee), Detroit, MINovember 22, 2014
Pros: pay, helping patrons, stepping stone for something great
Cons: short breaks, management, favoritism, no smoking (even during break), standing, no job security
This review is kind of long, so I hope you have time to read it.This is a great job if you need supplemental income. They tell you there is an option to work full time or part time, but it is all part time, unless you are in a certain position (and a favorite). The hours are not bad. You generally work 3 days a week anywhere from 8-11 hours. You can work additional hours if they call you to fill in for someone.

Some of the supervisors are stuck up and others are okay.

The breaks are ridiculously short! For 8-11 hours, you'd think you'd get a full 30 minutes or so for lunch, but you don't. They give you a 10 minute break and then a 20 minute break later - very seldom stopping by again to see if you need to use the restroom. And don't be late from those breaks! Some of your relievers will write that down and if you're late too many times, you get written up. The worst part is, depending on which reliever you have, their time they have when they relieve you is not usually the correct time, so they mark you as late even if you got back from break a couple minutes early!

You cannot leave the building to get lunch or you cannot have a cigarette on your breaks. The only restaurant they have in the entire building is Subway and a convenience store, but seeing as how you have short breaks, by the time you want to eat, your break is over. You are not the only ones there, so you may have to wait in line, and these people don't know you're on a strict schedule. I once spent my whole ten minute break ordering Subway, and I made the order as simple as possible.

Management is awful. Things – more... are constantly changing, and they don't even notify you when they do. You basically hear it from other co-workers. And they don't train you very well. I trained myself. Naturally, I messed up and some of my co-workers helped me figure things out, but I learned.
Also, management is always hiring and firing people. Every time you turn around, someone is getting fire, or they quit. You never really see the same face for more than a few times. Sometimes, the things they fire you for may not be your fault. For example, if you work at any of the security desks, you can get fired if you allow too many people to get by you and into the elevators without a pass. It sounds easy enough, but sometimes, you have about 10 people waiting for you and you don't have eyes in the back or the sides of your head. A couple times when you catch someone sneaking into an elevator and you catch up to them, the person at your desk at the time will go off in another direction and disappear, possible getting into another elevator; there's about 16 elevators and they arrive within seconds of you pressing the button. That is a strike against you; there's cameras virtually everywhere. So, there is really no job security here. If management receives many compliments about you, they will keep you around, even make you full time, but if people start to say negative things about you, watch out.

The hardest part is standing for all that time and dealing with angry people. Some people bring their troubles to you, even employees. All employees must have their badges out, or at least show them to you, but sometimes employees don't have them out. If that's the case, you have to ask them to see the badge. At times, there are employees that get hostile because they feel you should know them, or whatever. It doesn't matter if you've seem them a billion times, you still have to ask. Not asking could get you fired.
As far as standing, my tip to you is to buy some extremely comfortable shoes, because in the majority of positions, you are standing. Even if the shoes are expensive, get them. After standing for 8 hours two days straight, I couldn't do it; I needed some better, comfortable shoes.

Another hard part is recovering from the previous company's reputation. The security team before us did not do their jobs correctly, so naturally, people are not used to the rules here. It's a work in progress and something you just have to deal with.

Some of the girls here are really catty. They get hit on by and patrons, but some girls see it as a competition rather than just doing their jobs and not worrying about it. Don't be catty with supervisors because they won't hesitate to lie on you, and of course the manager is going to believe them over you.

The greatest part is the money. We get paid 9/hr, but they are unwilling to pay overtime, so even after 8 hours, you don't get time and a half. The only time you get overtime is if you work more than 40 hours a week, which is rare. Note: they take a lot of money out of your checks for taxes. Also, the title is another great. I feel so important when I wear this uniform. Helping the patrons is another great thing. I love to help people and answer their questions and just be an ear when they are upset or down.

To wrap things up, I hope I didn't discourage anybody; I'm just telling you what I've experienced since I've been here. – less
A good part-time job.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Lansing, MINovember 20, 2014
Cons: health care
I learned a few new skills. It's very very easy, depends if you can self entertain yourself.
fun and very upbeat with lots to do.
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MINovember 19, 2014
Pros: eat or drink when ever and had free rome of the campus
A typical day would consist of doing perimeter checks, watching activity, using cameras, checking boilers and fire alarms, check suspicious activity. The most enjoyable part of the job was driving around the campus checking to make sure all is ok. the hardest part of the job was finding guard checks. I learned how to have better costumer service skills and how to act in curtian situations. All co workers were awesome to work with and always had positive attitude.
Good part time job
Security Officer (Current Employee), Jackson, MIOctober 22, 2014
A good job to earn a little extra money. A lot of working alone. The management is awful.
Experience working at a homeless shelter for the 1st time
Security Officer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 10, 2014
Pros: i loved the hours
Cons: needed to be full-time
First time working in a homeless shelter you must have sensitivity, be a good listener and have people compassion and be able to intake certain situations. On a daily basis situations change so you must be very diverse. I liked the site because my team worked as a family and not just coworkers.We supported each other mentally which is needed working in that type of environment.
Wow
security guard (Current Employee), security guardOctober 8, 2014
You are working at a base you should be professional yet it is the worst place to work, training is a joke and you might as well be back in high school with all the back stabbing that goes on....run don't walk to your next job interview stay away. They work you like a dog for no money and make you come to work early on your own time, no wonder there are so many law suits against them
They only need a tape recorder to perform GREETING they desire. This review is for he assigned post contracted by DK
ARMED SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee), Makatawa Bank Corp. Holland, Mich.August 6, 2014
Pros: immediate supervisor, some coworkers
Cons: actually suggest two guards, can't do outside patrol, but when some alarmed doors in back alert someone else in another place instead of the guard, doesn't seem very safe in the event of a possible rear door break in, stuffing envelopes for the bank? not in job description
Required to great three times a day and evidently a "Good Morning, or Have a Good Night" is being to friendly. What they should use is a tape recorder so the guard can just push a button.
My immediate supervisor was OUTSTANDING, however at the bank the coworkers for the most part I felt were very enjoyable and friendly. It only takes that one or two thin skinned individual to make you leave your position unfortunately.
a part time job
supervisor,dispatcher, securityofficer (Former Employee), battle creek,miJune 14, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything....
don't look at this company to be anything but a part time job,..this company only cares about itself, not the employees. The pay is bad and so is management..You will not go anywhere in this company
Great workers, Great people, but personell are "replaceable" and thus treated poorly
Security Specialist (Former Employee), Traverse City, MIJune 3, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, great co-workers
Cons: management lacked follow-through, contractors will sometimes take advantage of employees
As a mid-level, unarmed security officer, work was as expected. My area of duties consisted of general patrol, securing/un-securing property and buildings, and enforcing local ordinances. Co-workers are great, but the relationship with our contractor was very "grey". DK management ignored our concerns and also failed to carry out promises to the staff.
very good work place and excellent place to work and meet new people
Event Staff/Security officer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMay 5, 2014
Pros: free concerts
Cons: more work hours
would like to work for this company again because of the good moral character of people
Was an easy job.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Kentwood, MIApril 23, 2014
It was an easy but boring job. Not a lot of room for advancement and the pay wasn't great.
Great place to work with friendly people, not much room for advancement though.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Kentwood, MIApril 18, 2014
Pros: nice environment, friendly employees/managers
Cons: no room for advancement, low pay rate, sporadic scheduling.
Management is great at most sites. For the most part co-workers are friendly. The hardest part of the job is trying to compensate for no shows and call offs. There isn't much place for advancement, and to be honest the pay rate isn't the best, but it would make a nice job for anyone who is looking for extra money if already retired.
Performing a vital service for the welfare of al connected with anad interacting with City Hall
Security Officer (Current Employee), Lansing, MIApril 8, 2014
Pros: friendly working evironment
Cons: sometimes interacting with anagry or unpleasant individuals.
While their is much about this job that is routine and relatively easy to perform, the fact is that anyone entering the premises must be viewed as someone who has the potential to be present to bring harm to anyone present in the building. Thus every person entering the building must be carefully screened for weapons or other dangerous items or substances.One must always be mindful of the history of instances in this country where individuals have enters facilities and caused injury or death to personnel at work. Communication with co-workers is always critical for sound decision making regarding everyone's safety and welfare.
Stay away
Security (Former Employee), Kentwood, MIMarch 22, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Low pay, erratic hours, management doesn't care at all levels (supervisor, office manager, and even the client). Unsafe working conditions to top it all off. I hope they remember that what you give you get back.

DK Security Salaries