DK Security Employee Reviews

Productive, positive, smiles
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIDecember 15, 2015
I talk with a number of parolees about life and their experience with prison. I dish out advice to let the parolees know that there is still a chance at life. I explain to the parolees that when your around positive, positive comes your way
Pros
Getting familiar with different personalities
Cons
Short lunches
Part time security officer, developed customer service skills, management flexible
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 19, 2015
Employed in college, I never asked about full time employment. Management was flexible with giving me time off, although it was unpaid. No benefits. I liked the job and the interaction with people.
Serious job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 17, 2015
This is a serious job you are able to advance in being a security officer. And you are able to travel with this company. They train you to be good workers, and respect.
Pros
advancement, and growth
Cons
Need more workers
Many hours available
secure area (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 31, 2015
Walk, long hours on feet.
many hours available to pick up.
great co workers
Fair pay.
secure the area
work many different facilities
Pros
many hours of overtime
Cons
long hours on feet
Fantastic part time work, virtually no full-time advantages
Uniformed security officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 21, 2015
This is a great company to work for if you are looking to pick up extra hours on the side of your job, but it is nearly impossible to earn a living wage here just doing 40 hours a week for a basic security officer position. Event staff options working at concerts are great fun and also a great way to earn a little extra money. They are constantly looking for new employees and always have extra overtime work available at different locations. The management/command center is not the most proficient, but I guess it functions with relatively few issues once you're set up and an employee. Even for full-time employees, there are next to no worthwhile benefits, so hopefully you have insurance through somewhere else.
Pros
ALWAYS extra shifts available
Cons
Doesn't pay much, management is iffy
fun place to work
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 27, 2015
Everyday was different most days were fun. There is a lack of communication with the management of this company. There is also a lack of training and not every location follows the same set of rules.
Pros
easy work, free concerts
Cons
lack of communication
Fun work with terrible management
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 6, 2015
I love the work environment. all of my coworkers are nice and professional. However, don't ever expect to get hold of management. They are always busy, never help, and is very unprofessional
Great company
Rover (Current Employee) –  Lansing,MIJuly 1, 2015
Being around the state complex I get to learn something different each day and better myself. DK is an amazing company to work for.
Pros
getting to learn something new everyday
Cons
weather elements
Great
Security Gaurd (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJune 27, 2015
It was a great learning experience. i had responsibility put on me but also had great leadership to show me how things were done.
Good starting point
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 27, 2015
DK security is a decent place to start off at but not a place to make a career. If you need flexibility and willing to work for decent to low pay this is a good place for you.
Second Job.
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 1, 2015
its a good second job, I pick up shifts when I have time off from my other job and it has some perks working the arena. its a lot of time on your feet.
Enjoyable work place with music.
Security (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 1, 2015
I worked one week at a concert called Common Ground that is held in the summer. I would go to the main base and there I was given my position. I was given a different post every day. Management was ok. Co-workers were helpful with locations of different posts. The hardest part was being able to stand outside in the sun for long periods of time with a some breaks. The most enjoyable part was being able to hear lots of different types of music.
Pros
Being able to hear lots of different types of music and good hours.
Cons
Not enough breaks.
Security
Uniformed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 28, 2015
Ha. Ha. Ha. This place is a joke with horrible managers. Not the people who started the company, as they were decent, but the way it is now, the way it's managed. Don't waste your time working for these people unless you are insanely desperate.
Great on site staff, no direct help from Administration
Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 13, 2015
Throughly enjoyed my position on my site, excellent team atmosphere with my staff. Not impressed with Administration. Too many fingers in the pot, they like to micro-manage, not provide needed equipment, paperwork, supplies, support to be productive in the company. They pay more attention to their "high profile" clients than the rest. Leadership is questionable, advancement opportunites are limited. Pay and benefits are terrible. Worked four months for the company and only one payroll cycle was accurate. Company software is difficult to use, they cut corners and go as cheap as possible to put more money in their pockets. Not an effective way to run a business. Training is non-existent, they prefer to hire individuals that have prior training to pass on to their staff to keep wages and benefits low. Mainly offer part time positions unless you're in a Supervisory or higher position, which I was, but I was not given adequate staff to fill positions and had to work shifts outside my own shift. Not a good experience with this company.
Pros
Co-workers, staff
Cons
Pay, benefits, atmosphere, accountability, leadership, administration
Do not work for this company
Uniform Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 16, 2015
Working for this company was terrible. Their Detroit location is completely unorganized! The supervisors were unprofessional and my check was short of $500.00 and I was not compensated for it. I advise anyone to stay away from this company.
Cons
unorganized, unprofessional
Friendly co-workers
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 3, 2015
-I really enjoyed working as a security guard for DK.
-Even though it wasn't great hours I enjoyed talking to the my fellow co-workers about topics totally unrelated to security.
-The job was very simple and straight forward
Pros
lunch was whenever you wanted
Cons
monotonous
Flexible Scheduling, Comfortable Work Environment
Store Detective (Current Employee) –  West MichiganDecember 20, 2014
A typical day working for DK security includes walking the sales floor and watching for shoplifters, creating reports on previous retail fraud incidents, and communicating with other team members on subjects that have not been apprehended at other stores. I have learned to negotiate much more effectively as well as prioritize and organize in a useful manner. My coworkers are pleasant to work with and help to create a productive team. The hardest part of my job is apprehending people that really do need the items they have stolen. On the other hand, subjects that are apprehended and participate in Organized Retail Crime (ORC) are stopped and a positive impact is made.
Pros
paid travel, flexible schedule
Cons
intense situations, shifts can turn much longer than scheduled
Great job for extra income
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 22, 2014
This review is kind of long, so I hope you have time to read it.This is a great job if you need supplemental income. They tell you there is an option to work full time or part time, but it is all part time, unless you are in a certain position (and a favorite). The hours are not bad. You generally work 3 days a week anywhere from 8-11 hours. You can work additional hours if they call you to fill in for someone.

Some of the supervisors are stuck up and others are okay.

The breaks are ridiculously short! For 8-11 hours, you'd think you'd get a full 30 minutes or so for lunch, but you don't. They give you a 10 minute break and then a 20 minute break later - very seldom stopping by again to see if you need to use the restroom. And don't be late from those breaks! Some of your relievers will write that down and if you're late too many times, you get written up. The worst part is, depending on which reliever you have, their time they have when they relieve you is not usually the correct time, so they mark you as late even if you got back from break a couple minutes early!

You cannot leave the building to get lunch or you cannot have a cigarette on your breaks. The only restaurant they have in the entire building is Subway and a convenience store, but seeing as how you have short breaks, by the time you want to eat, your break is over. You are not the only ones there, so you may have to wait in line, and these people don't know you're on a strict schedule. I once spent my whole ten minute break ordering Subway, and I made the order as simple as possible.

Management is awful. Things
  more... are constantly changing, and they don't even notify you when they do. You basically hear it from other co-workers. And they don't train you very well. I trained myself. Naturally, I messed up and some of my co-workers helped me figure things out, but I learned.
Also, management is always hiring and firing people. Every time you turn around, someone is getting fire, or they quit. You never really see the same face for more than a few times. Sometimes, the things they fire you for may not be your fault. For example, if you work at any of the security desks, you can get fired if you allow too many people to get by you and into the elevators without a pass. It sounds easy enough, but sometimes, you have about 10 people waiting for you and you don't have eyes in the back or the sides of your head. A couple times when you catch someone sneaking into an elevator and you catch up to them, the person at your desk at the time will go off in another direction and disappear, possible getting into another elevator; there's about 16 elevators and they arrive within seconds of you pressing the button. That is a strike against you; there's cameras virtually everywhere. So, there is really no job security here. If management receives many compliments about you, they will keep you around, even make you full time, but if people start to say negative things about you, watch out.

The hardest part is standing for all that time and dealing with angry people. Some people bring their troubles to you, even employees. All employees must have their badges out, or at least show them to you, but sometimes employees don't have them out. If that's the case, you have to ask them to see the badge. At times, there are employees that get hostile because they feel you should know them, or whatever. It doesn't matter if you've seem them a billion times, you still have to ask. Not asking could get you fired.
As far as standing, my tip to you is to buy some extremely comfortable shoes, because in the majority of positions, you are standing. Even if the shoes are expensive, get them. After standing for 8 hours two days straight, I couldn't do it; I needed some better, comfortable shoes.

Another hard part is recovering from the previous company's reputation. The security team before us did not do their jobs correctly, so naturally, people are not used to the rules here. It's a work in progress and something you just have to deal with.

Some of the girls here are really catty. They get hit on by and patrons, but some girls see it as a competition rather than just doing their jobs and not worrying about it. Don't be catty with supervisors because they won't hesitate to lie on you, and of course the manager is going to believe them over you.

The greatest part is the money. We get paid 9/hr, but they are unwilling to pay overtime, so even after 8 hours, you don't get time and a half. The only time you get overtime is if you work more than 40 hours a week, which is rare. Note: they take a lot of money out of your checks for taxes. Also, the title is another great. I feel so important when I wear this uniform. Helping the patrons is another great thing. I love to help people and answer their questions and just be an ear when they are upset or down.

To wrap things up, I hope I didn't discourage anybody; I'm just telling you what I've experienced since I've been here.
Pros
pay, helping patrons, stepping stone for something great
Cons
short breaks, management, favoritism, no smoking (even during break), standing, no job security
A good part-time job.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 20, 2014
I learned a few new skills. It's very very easy, depends if you can self entertain yourself.
Cons
health care
fun and very upbeat with lots to do.
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MINovember 19, 2014
A typical day would consist of doing perimeter checks, watching activity, using cameras, checking boilers and fire alarms, check suspicious activity. The most enjoyable part of the job was driving around the campus checking to make sure all is ok. the hardest part of the job was finding guard checks. I learned how to have better costumer service skills and how to act in curtian situations. All co workers were awesome to work with and always had positive attitude.
Pros
eat or drink when ever and had free rome of the campus