DLS Engineering Associates, Inc. Employee Reviews

Hires Disabled Vet, Fires Disabled Vet Three Weeks Later
Electrical Helper (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJuly 30, 2014
My spouse worked for DLS Engineering in June 2014. He is a veteran of the US Coast Guard, and has a diagnosed learning disability. He notified DLS of the disability during his interview proceedings, and they communicated that they understood. He was hired and began work, showing up 15 minutes early every day, never missed a day, and always sought to go above and beyond and follow directions.

Three weeks after he was hired, he was terminated. His supervisor issued him a "first warning" and "termination" at once, saying that because of his inability to grasp things quickly, they had no choice but to fire him. They also insinuated that he had questionable integrity (he's never been documented for anything from any employer, much less fired- his integrity is as solid as steel) simply because of a miscommunication. Instead of allowing him the opportunity to present his case, they fired him and escorted him out of the building- simply for having a disability that they were notified of.

Worse still, when he finally got in contact with the human resources manager, she literally laughed at his request to have his job back. She told him that they'd deny they ever knew of his disability, and insulted his intelligence, snarking "there's no way you could have wrote that email, especially with your alleged disability". As a district manager myself, I was floored by her complete lack of professionalism and disdain for basic morality.

In a world where our vets are already treated like garbage by politicians, it's shameful to find the same treatment from government contractors like this one.
  more... We're currently filing suit with the EEOC, as well as soliciting help from the Veteran's Administration to make sure that bully tactics like this don't happen to others.

Don't work for DLS- unstable, unprofessional, and disgraceful.
Pros
decent work schedule
Cons
horrible hr department, highly unethical and questionable business practices, zero concern for employees
You are only a number
Customer service (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 8, 2014
DLS brought my current contract this year. First off the way they went about the turn over has been every uneasy. Paper time sheets, pay was cut back ALOT, no leave at all until a year and the extra money we get back from the insurance has to go to a 401k not your pockets. You can not tell a person yes we won and come back with a offer letter about 45% less pay. This is our jobs. We should at least make what we are already making or have a few dollors less, not 20% or more cut in pay. The company should look at the employess. You would want to keep them . Get to know them and treat them with respect.

They have gotten 4 other contracts this year and all have not good things to say about DLS. They are really make a bad name for them self. Also with the leave, people have kids/family and life issues to deal with. They should at least give 5 hours every two weeks or some kind of leave. They have alot of issues that need to work out!
I really feel sorry for the person/persons they pick up. I'm looking hard to leave DLS very soon.
Pros
pay every two weeks
Cons
pay cut - alot, no leave, paper time sheets.
Federal Contractor
Technical Writer (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCSeptember 9, 2014
This is the fifth federal contractor I have worked for. So far, experience has been average. Management and HR have been great, but I did take a pay cut on this turnover. Benefits are OK, but no leave granted for the first year, despite being incumbent in the position.
Pros
good management, flex time
Cons
low pay, no leave for the first year

2.3