Do it Best Corp. Employee Reviews

Boring, conservative and low energy work place, I would give it a zero if I could
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 27, 2016
A typical day at work would entail talking on the phone to store owners who are referred to as members. Systems and software were very outdated so it was hard to accomplish anything.

I learned that you should trust your instincts and that companies and people can convince you they are something they are not. For example, I was told this company has a great culture and people are energetic. The culture is terrible and the people are only energetic if compared to a nursing home.

My direct manager was not around much, he claimed to be "very busy". Aside from the help from the people on my team, who are very talented, I did not have any direction or training for my position. On the first day instead of showing me where to find the bathroom, one of the first things we learned about was how to respond to an active shooter. I think I am more likely to need to use the restroom in a day that encounter an active shooter.

Management is almost all male and many of the higher level executives are exclusive in socializing and eating lunch together in a group. I believe there is a very large disconnect between what the people on the ground think vs what the management team thinks. The company is very concerned about safety for some reason, maybe because the employees are so much older than the average workplace. There was a huge focus on safety and topics that are unusual for an office building. Personally, I would like to have seen more of a focus on training than protecting yourself from tripping while walking.

A few co-workers were nice. There are a small number of employees
  more... who are under the age of 50. Not a lot of young people, new blood or energy. This is a place that does things "how it has always been done" and is not looking to modernize in any way.

The hardest part of the job was coming to a place every day that you hate with people you have nothing in common with. It is also difficult to work in an old, dirty building with no windows that feels like a prison.

I enjoyed being in member stores and working with them. The most I learned about the business was while visiting stores and seeing their challenges first hand.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Conservative, strict, boring, uninspiring, no leadership, no career development, behind the times
I enjoyed the enviroment and the good morale of co-workers
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 31, 2015
I would go in and start my work pulling orders and filling them. I learned endurance and patience. The management was okay, like in any company we had some good supervisors and some not so good. For the most part it was okay. Enjoyed my co-workers made some new friends among them. The hardest part of job was the hot warehouse. The most enjoyable was the work itself. It gave me a purpose. I always worked hard to reach my quota.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Hot warehouse. NO air-condition
Do it Best corp. was a nice place to work.
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCNovember 20, 2015
All employees were nice and that created a pleasant work environment. And I sold a lot of hardware items to a lot of different people.
Pros
Was able to meet alot of different people.
Cons
Because of business we never had timme for break.
Good learning experience, peaceful environment, and good physical workout
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Tuscola, ILNovember 18, 2015
A typical day was 8 to 10 hours I learned about stacking and breaking up rock and learned how to utilize certain things to make places look very nice, my supervisor was stern but laid back at the same time and taught me alot about hard work and making things look very nice while pushing through that hard work, I worked by myself out in the woods most of the time but when my friend did work with me and another employees son, things went well and I was able to lead them, teach them, and help them through the work, the hardest part of the job was lifting and stacking 60 to 80 pound rocks all day long it killed my back but was a very good workout. The m,ost enjoyable part of the job was that I was in the woods where it was beautiful and was doing something I am very interested and inspired to do.
Pros
Free Lunches, Hour long breaks, good hours and money
Cons
Very heavy lifting all day long
Used to love my job
Back-up Lead (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, OROctober 8, 2014
When I started working at DIB Corp. in 2003 I loved it, the culture was positive, the pay was above average, and the management staff was good. But in 2012 the company's focus started to turn and it was a turn for the worst. I am good friends with some of the leadership staff there and none of them want to re-commit to another 18 month term. Once a staff member goes through the stressful position they find that the pay difference doesn't out weigh the mental and physical stress. And lastly the culture has gone from a very family oriented beginning to an extreme big box culture. Some of the great core values that DIB had are going away because the lack of vision of the leaders and corporate office.
Pros
Great stepping stone job
Cons
Management is contradicting, Employees hide 90% work procedures from management because of production demand and safety concerns, Management plays favorites obviously

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Do it Best Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5