Doctors of the World, known internationally as Médecins du Monde (MdM), provides medical care to vulnerable populations at home and abroad, helping those affected by conflict, natural disasters, disease, poverty or exclusion. Although our primary aim is to provide medical care, we use our on-the-ground experience to advocate for change.
We are seeking a Licensed Nurse Practitioner to manage our free medical clinic in Queens, New York City. Established in the Rockaways in 2013, the clinic provides free medical services through volunteer practitioners to uninsured and/or undocumented adults in a historically underserved area.
We currently serve an average of 60 clients a month with a mean age of 41, an even male/female distribution, approximately 15% of whom are Spanish speakers. We hope to grow the clinic’s impact, offering, and community ties in the years to come.
Essential Job Functions*bold*
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job:
- Manages day-to-day operations of a twice weekly free medical clinic including oversight of patient flow and ensuring sufficient staff scheduling
- Supervises all administrative and medical volunteers, including responsibility for meeting productivity standards
- Provides clinical supervision to volunteer staff, including assistance with examinations and procedures when required
- Develops and maintains protocols and standards for maintenance of clinical environment
- Participates in development of clinical best practices
- Oversees and maintains a referral and follow-up process for specialty care
- Develops and maintains collegial relationship with other area healthcare providers
- Leads Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities
- Manages on-boarding and orientation of volunteers
- Ensures proper inventory of supplies that directly impact client care
- Attends community based activities including health fairs, community board meetings and advocacy efforts
- Work schedule of 5 days, 40 hours per week, including Saturdays and occasional evenings
Education and certification*bold*
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program
- Current New York State license
- Current CPR-AED certification
- Demonstrates proficiency with electronic medical records; including documentation, e-prescribing and coding
- Must be fluent in English; bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Additional skills and experience*bold*
In addition to the above, the ideal candidate will possess most or all of the following:
- At least three years’ experience in clinic management or other senior clinical role
- Experience working with hard to reach populations including the homeless, immigrants, HIV infected, substance users and/or the mentally ill
- The spirit and desire to practice in a community-based, interdisciplinary, mission-driven team, dedicated to the delivery of high quality care
Doctors of the World USA is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Doctors of the World USA to ensure fair and equal employment without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Doctors of the World USA hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.