Dolby Laboratories

Dolby Laboratories Employer Reviews

Smart people and that's about it
Corporate (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 17, 2014
I worked at Dolby for 5+ years.

Let's start with the pros:
-Smart, talented, hard-working employees.
-Free parking for employees
-Shuttle service to and from BART and other Dolby buildings.
-Paid Holidays (including December holiday shutdown)
-And probably the BEST perk...every other Friday off!

Now the cons:
-No work life balance (everyone is a slave – more... to email)
-Hard work expected but often not rewarded, recognized, or appreciated
-No real work force planning. Little opportunity for growth (except for chosen few)
-Leadership slow to make decisions
-Cool "products" but not cool culture - Boring environment, does not feel like a cool, cutting edge, high-tech place to work
-Little to no diversity (white male dominated culture)
-Pay is decent but low compared to other high-tech companies
-Too much time spent in pointless meetings – less
Lack of Communication and Direction from Upper Management
Production Coordinator (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: talented people with good ethics
Cons: lack of leadership, focus and communication regarding the direction the company is headed
Dolby has hired a lot of smart, fun, talented and hard working people over the years. Unfortunately, after going public I feel that the talents were wasted (mostly in the Marketing group) due to the lack of leadership and focus from upper management. Until the dust settles at the company, I would never recommend working there to anyone.
Management is to New to know the culture and very unhelpful
IT Procurement Analyst (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2013
Management is to New to know the culture and very unhelpful. It not more I can say. I love working for Dolby until my boss left.
Recognaizable brand name is all it is
Anonymous (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2013
Pros: employee screenings
Cons: work culture
This is not a place for people who value work life balance. Overanalysis is management's idea of job security.
Pockets of gold and pockets of coal - just be careful of some of the newer managers
Program Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 14, 2013
Pros: every other friday off
Cons: unclear concept of accountability, poor global collaboration tools (voip quality unacceptable), stingy on travel to a fault
(This review is for the SF location only. The Beijing, Germany, Poland and Australia sites are completely different.)

It's getting better, but slowly. Dolby's increased their headcount by >60% in the last 2-3 years and experiencing understandable scaling issues. The workforce in SF consists mostly of employees with either >10 years or <3 years of experience. – more... There are unfortunately a few insecure bad apples due to the old guard's tendency to promote new hires too quickly and trust too much at the start of Dolby's expansion. Ironically, there are still a few key (veteran) contributors who could have been better empowered or resourced to ensure Dolby's success.

The majority of the people have great integrity and passion for excellence and teamwork - typically the >10 year set, and primarily in the Dev Eng and QA groups. This is a consensus culture that's not in a hurry and confrontation is a taboo.

The unfortunate part is the damage the less-capable newer managers inflict on their groups, driving some very talented people out. Some stellar managers here, but it's inconsistent. Just need to be aware of the personality of your direct manager. There have been a handful of mysterious "hire and fire at-will" incidents in the past 1-2 years, driven not by performance but by manager insecurities.

Having said that, the pace here is great for work-life balance. There's little sense of urgency compared with that of the rest of the Bay Area (e.g. only mild reaction when an engineering team says there will be a delay of "about a month" two weeks before an expected release). It's a place one can go home at 5p every day, product managers can go on 3-week vacations without a backup, and weekends have email traffic of less than 10 messages. There is zero pressure to adjust your vacation plans in any way to minimize impact on the business. – less
Fast paced non stop work
Anonymous (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2013
Pros: free movies
Cons: work culture - no breaks
No clear structure and guidelines, non stop work where work life balance is not prioritized or considered. Not recommended for people with kids.
It does not act like a Tech Company
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: 9/80 work week
Cons: the technology is exciting but the company is not
The company is run more like an old bank. The company is cold and heartless, but most of the employees are great. Some decision by management are baffling, but that is probably true with most companies
Good Company
Sales Assistant International Licensing Department (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2013
• Assisted in data migration project using SAP, PeopleSoft, SalesForce and Access 2003.
• Maintained point of contact database for prospective licensees.
• Researched any errors in existing licensee database and made corrections.
• Made contact with existing licensees regarding any account changes.
Dolby Laboratories was my best working place in Noth-America
Production Engineering Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2012
Dolby Laboratories is one engineering company, ant it runs as one engineering company, people with very high technical skills, very good cooperation between people, all what I could say it was the best place to work.
It is a great place to work
ECO Analyst (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 16, 2012
This company was in a city that I feared as a child, San Francisco. But the people, managment my day in and day out made it was just another day.
Free food twice year to fellowship with other company in the building
Receptionist/Front Desk Coordinator (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 3, 2012
Pros: free parking at work
Cons: long hours during the day
A typical day for me at work start 8-5pm
I learn how to use some new software and database.
I had a great team of management that work together as a team player,
My co-worker wrer very friendly and polite to work with.
The hardest part of my job is leaving to go home.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that we have fun while doing my job.
International company with cool products and innovative research
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2012
Pros: we worked a 9/80 shift which meant we had alternating fridays off.
Cons: commute
My typical day at work included managing the SVP's calendar and ensuring she had all of the notes, agendas, tasks, and folders for her day loaded with meetings.

I worked with a great group of co-workers and we collaborated constantly to assist all of the executives to forward the company in each of their respective areas.
International company with cool products and innovative research
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2012
Pros: we worked a 9/80 shift which meant we had alternating fridays off.
Cons: commute time

driving forklift,cycle count or inventory,shipping &recieving,assisting costumers,etc.
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), Brisbane, CAJune 30, 2012
Pros: free breakfast
Cons: full benefits
certified sap,mapics,excel program.
good.
we have good communication and teamwork.
i dont think have one.
when i finish my job ferpect and smooth.
Secure job for many years
Design Engineer, Software Test (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2012
Pros: fun parties
Cons: commute
I stayed employed there for 18 years because I worked with people I could learn from every day. The company provided me with a long lasting education,paid for me to go to conferences and encouraged education.
Great engineering company in San Francisco
Sr. Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2011
Dolby has one of the higher retention rates of any high-tech company in Silicon Valley. Great people, very high focus on R&D, and very good benefits.

About Dolby Laboratories

Dolby Laboratories, Inc. develops and delivers products and technologies that improve the entertainment experience. The Company’s – Read more