Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 11,244 reviews matching the search
co-workers are lazy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Haines City, FLJune 21, 2017
The workers walk around and dont know what to do. They start using their phones and always doing something that shouldnt be done. Manger is very rude and talks under breath alot.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
lazy co-worker, low pay
the same
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Duncannon, PAJune 21, 2017
It was the same for all the above.Helping Assisting doing your job properly.Keeping everyone happy and enjoying talking to all customers. Anything else you want to know contact me
Do
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coushatta, LAJune 21, 2017
This Dollar General definitely kept me on my toes. With such a large store and never enough workers the store always had trouble with keeping stock out.
Busy work area with some great co-workers
Third Key Manager (Current Employee) –  Crossville, TN 38555June 21, 2017
Dollar General is ok to work for. Your co-workers are pretty awesome, but corporate like to cheat managers. If Dollar General could get away with it they would not pay their employees.
Pros
Great friends and a manager that works with my schedule
Cons
It is stressful at times
Fun and productive atmosphere
Order Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Bethel Park, PAJune 21, 2017
Fun work place and great experience to work at. Their training was very easy and informative. I enjoyed my time working with and for them. I would definitely recommend this job to my friends and family.
Pros
Free lunches
Interesting place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  White Hall, ARJune 21, 2017
Each day is never the same because there are always a variety of people who come in and out of the store. Tasks for each day usually vary depending what is needed to be done.
Pros
Can move up fast
Cons
Disgruntle customers
Laid back
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Zion, ILJune 21, 2017
Good place to work. Fast paced, makes the day go by much faster when you're constantly moving around and doing things. My boss was very nice. Overall great experience.
Pros
1st shift
Cons
Not good benefits
Awesome place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 21, 2017
Great place to work at .
I was a store manager I complete all duties that had to be done that day .
I would work double shift just to make sure the store looks great . I would recommend to work at dollar general I'm just looking for other job opportunities.
Productive workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSJune 21, 2017
I had a great experience working for Dollar General. I learned so much. My manager was awesome. I could call him for any problem and if he didn't know how to solve it then he would ask someone and notify me.
Pros
Productive workplace
Cons
The benifits
Decent working environment
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 21, 2017
Dollar general was a decent job I actually enjoyed working there ,meeting new people and i didn't have an issue with work requirements . I mainly left this job due to management ,which wasn't the best at all. She was often rude,very controlling, and i felt as though she abused her authority instead of utilizing it to the best of her ability.
Pros
Flexibke schedules, decent pay, nice co-workers
Cons
Bad location, high theft, bad management
Fast Paced On Busy Days
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJune 21, 2017
Only worked here temporarily as it was my first job. I was a sales associate so I did cashier and stocking. Operating the register was easy and I learned to operate it 90% on my own. Customer flow was heavy mid-day but calmed down during afternoons and evenings. Enjoyed working with my fellow employees as they were very helpful and understanding of my inexperience. I recently decided to leave the job because of random hours and physical and emotional stress. If you can handle the physical demands of running back and forth from register to stocking shelves, then I recommend this job. Might be too demanding for the inexperienced.
Pros
30 minute lunch breaks, Helpful managers and employees, Friendly environment
Cons
Random hours, Stressful work, U-boats everywhere
Terrible Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJune 21, 2017
Constantly understaffed. Management did nothing but sit in the office. Store's disorganized. Wanted me to do basically everything while also attending to customers.
It was a good learning experience
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 20, 2017
It was a fun place to work great customers and a pretty laid back job.I enjoyed the regular customers that came i their smiles made the job worth while and began to build a connection with them.
Pros
lunches fair pay great customers good management
Cons
the thefts and how they handled them
review
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pocahontas, IAJune 20, 2017
get yelled at by customers
get yelled at by employees
get yelled at by boss
get yelled at by boss' boss
long lines
never get truck don on time
work crazy hard and get paid peanuts
A lot to do in a short period of time
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenbackville, VirginiaJune 20, 2017
There was stocking the shelves in between customers. It was heavy lifting and harsh chemical cleaning. If someone needs a job and is desperate, it will give you a job but unless you can move quickly and have everything done in the time allotted, it's not the best place to work.
Pros
A job
Cons
Not enough time to complete all tasks assigned.
Always on the move
Cashier/ key holder (Former Employee) –  Hawesville, KYJune 20, 2017
Great job as long as your flexible with the days and hours available always new people and things are constantly changing so it keeps it very interesting
stocking
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NJJune 20, 2017
stocking of shelves and displays. having to work well with other staff and management. taking the lead in problem solving. assisting customers with concerns and purchases
Great Job,
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellsinore, MOJune 20, 2017
Dollar General is a great company advancement wise. I moved up through 6 positions in less than 3 years. I worked my way from the ground up. There were some poor choices in upper management made which made the job harder then necessary. I would recommend them for a first job or for a career opportunity. I was required to put 52 hours in a week as a Store Manager, which in reality worked 60-80+ I hardly ever left my store. I was in charge of scheduling, budgeting, hiring, training and development. Also, many other duties that come with running a business and business functions. I can say leaving the company was very hard do, due to the knowledge I had obtained and the skills I acquired over time. Its hard to leave a job you know everything about and are completely comfortable doing to pursue other life opportunity's.
Dollar General
Lead Sales Associate/Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 20, 2017
Dollar General is a ehhh place to work it really all depends on the type of manager you get in rather the store will flow smoothly or not. I worked for two different stores during my time with dollar general. The first manager I had was lazy and the second was a good hard working guy, but he was too much of a push over so there was a lot of laziness at my store. I left because I got tired of doing my job and picking up the slack of all the bums that worked there.
Pros
decent hours
Cons
no stable schedule, rude customers
Not what I thought going back
Key Holder/Assistant Manager/ Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Owosso, MIJune 20, 2017
I left dollar general the first time to pursue another job that I had a big heart for, coming back the company has turned ugly. Poor Management above store level. Everything is how to make that next dollar. They are not concerned about the managers, their schedules, or anything else. I was told no matter what the store needs to be perfect, even if you have to stay all day everyday.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Poor Management above store level

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8