Dollar General Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,982 reviews matching the search
nice company if no dependence
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 25, 2016
don't treat their employees right.work managers 50-60 and pay you for 40.only give the sales associate24 hours a week than when they go out and find another job o make ends meet they want to fire them. The hardest part of the job was keeping the thieves out of the store than when we couldn't they would accuse the employees of stealing.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my customers they loved me and I loved them I never knew some people came be so nice.
Cons
Productive place to work. Most of the employees are friendly and helpful
Fulltime Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Locust Grove, VAAugust 25, 2016
Working at DG is a rewarding learning experience. I learned a lot about the retail aspect from stocking shelves and cashiering.
very demanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 25, 2016
Management duties consisted of. Cashiering, stocking, setting plan-a-grams, hiring, banking, transposing sales, etc. to customer office. Customer service and cleaning. Interviewing, unloading trucks, inventory control. etc... I thought very highly of my co-workers, couldn't have done it without them. The hardest part of my job was working to many shifts and hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was setting plan-a-grams and customers.
Pros
sales and customers
Cons
to many hours
Worst company ever
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NJAugust 25, 2016
The company wants you to do alot, on there time. If you want to have days off its little to none. Customer can steal all they want its your fault for saying something to them & its your fault for letting them go.. The company doesnt care about its employees at all
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Very stressful
fun and good company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAAugust 25, 2016
Best coworkers i have ever worked with. I can move up fast in the company. I enjoy the work that i did there. I loved my boss. He was very nice and did not overreact to being late or missing a day of work. Very understanding.
Pros
good people, always had a good attitude at work
Cons
rude customers
Awesome Experience
Third Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXAugust 25, 2016
My first ever job, and it was quiet the experience. I learned lots of new things and got bumped up to a backup keyholder within 2 weeks of working. Met new people and had great friends and an awesome boss. I would have stayed here if I didn't move back to my home town!
Working with other people, talking to customers, help them find what tey need.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 25, 2016
It's a exciting place to work. The manager is very understanding, person. Working there give me life to keep going. It's the staff that keep me coming back to work.
Pros
Buy ur own
Cons
A 30 min break.
Cash Auditor (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNAugust 25, 2016
Great company to work for, has a fun friendly environment. The company gives back to the community and values its Employees.
I really enjoy working with people
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Duncanville, TXAugust 25, 2016
I enjoy working and interacting with customers, co workers. I loved the environment. Management was great. Id go back if I could.
Productive and interactive workplace
LSA (Former Employee) –  Hudson, FLAugust 25, 2016
Good customer service, District managers were a joke. Used good stores as a dumping ground for bad employees and still refused to terminate them. Going against policy for self gain.
Not a bad place to work
Excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Muldrow, OKAugust 25, 2016
the only problem with working for this company is that they do not work you enough hours to be able to get any health benefits. Helping people is a plus to the job.
Not very good management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Price, UTAugust 25, 2016
The management team was very hard to work with because they would change minds a lot. The co-workers were very nice though and very helpful were the management lacked. The hardest part of the job was to communicate with the management.
Bad work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bremen, OHAugust 25, 2016
Bad management, and received very little training. Unclear instructions from the manager. Obstructed walk ways upon clocking in that was caused by management.
Productive and Very Stressful workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 24, 2016
People do not want to be there to work. Most of the employees are very negative about their jobs. High stressful environment. No benefits and not enough hours given to the store to schedule enough people to run it.
OK Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, NCAugust 24, 2016
As long as you work 90-100 hrs a week as a manager they are happy. They did have good benefits such as bonuses for inventory.They did not have a good work life balance at all.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Night Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXAugust 24, 2016
Learned a lot of helpful things but felt pay was small for amount of work involved. The Company does have some excellent programs to help their employees.
daily duties
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA 70815August 24, 2016
Clock-in
check schedule and what needs to be done first (important).
I love to learn new things and new ways of doing things
I will laugh and talk with my co-workers but prefer it not to get no closer than work.
The hardest part of a job is learning and knowing the requirements, the do's and the don'ts, the what if's. Once you know the system it becomes more easier to maneuver and assist customers as this provides outstanding customer service.
The most enjoyable part of a job is knowing that you can succeed as far as promotions etc. the fact that you were able to help someone is a wonderful feeling.
Pros
promotions, commidions, bonuses
Would not work for this company
Order Filler/Picker (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYAugust 24, 2016
They done me wrong hurt my back and was doing what they asked and they terminated me and I worked overtime and was a dang good worker.I have worked all my life since 1994 and never have worked for a company when your drawing workmenscomp when you are trying to get better they terminated me
Productive place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXAugust 24, 2016
A typical day at work would be money handling and customer service, stocking shelves and making sure the store was neat and clean for customers
There was nothing hard at all about the job
The most enjoyable part is getting to meet different people
and my co workers all were help and very hard workers
Pros
had a good amount of time for lunch breaks
Cons
At times we were very short staffed
A huge joke
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, OHAugust 24, 2016
The management has room to work, specifically favoritism and insubordination. Always working with insufficient staff and worked on breaks in order to avoid lines at check out. The co-workers are fun and easy to get along with. There isn't room to move up the ladder unless you have significant experience. Training is watching videos and then throwing to the wolves. Management help is hard to get.
Cons
Barely get breaks, treated unfairly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8