Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 11,267 reviews matching the search
Stressful and demanding
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GAJune 23, 2017
When I first started here, it was okay. But when I became an Assistant Manager, all that changed. It's a lot of hard work with little compensation. It was very stressful.
Noy a bad place to to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNJune 23, 2017
I worked in store development as a contractor which later changed to project execution. I had the most scared micro manager boss of them all. She was so scared of her boss it showed ridiculously. She would show how to do the work and then she would do it for you. I worked there 7 months and I've never worked in an environment where people don't speak when they come in.
Pros
No problem with taking time off
Cons
Absolutely nothing
Dollar g
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Hopewell, PAJune 22, 2017
I don't care for this job when you have a rude disrespectful boss that doesn't make coming to work fun and only nice to a few of her employee nobody d
Pros
Nice Customers
Cons
Not eough hour
Nice workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARJune 22, 2017
Although my stint with the company wasn't long at all; I still enjoyed every minute I had with the company. The work environment was nice mainly because of the customers.
Easy job, however extremely boring
LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 22, 2017
Very easy job, however it was very very boring. None of the staff seemed to want to interact with one another and they all looked miserable. Most of the time I was there the staff always talked bad about management .
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
A job to get by
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJune 22, 2017
This is just a job to get by. There are no special perks for working for this company. A pro is that checks come weekly and because there is always short staff there is always room for advancement.
Tightly-knit work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 22, 2017
This was otherwise a great place to work...when I actually got to work. I was lucky to get over 20 hours a week. If you're looking for a part-time second job, this is it. Otherwise, look elsewhere.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Good luck getting hours if you're not management
Lead Sales Associate and stocker (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCJune 22, 2017
I love shopping at the Dollar General. I can find everything I need there and pay a fraction of the price from other stores. I really like my co employees. J J the manager is totally awesome
Typical retail management with ups and downs. Mostly ups during my employment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJune 22, 2017
Had total responsibility for everything that happened within the store. Dealing with all aspects of the operation of the business including customers, employees and vendors.
Answered to a District manager and home office.
Hardest part was the long hours and scheduling part time people to fit the needs of the store. Keeping a clean, organized store was a priority but made harder by Corporate cuts in hours available for my employees.
Best part was dealing with customers and being chosen as the Model Store to present to a group from Goldman-Sachs who came from New York to see how the stores were managed before presenting us on the Stock Market. I also was chosen to host the NASCAR Show Car for a special viewing while our car was in DFW to race. It was Halloween so we set up a carnival and games for our customers. Had a great turn out.
Pros
planned my own schedule
Cons
Poor benefits for employees
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schroon Lake, NYJune 22, 2017
Great place to work friendly coworkers and understanding managment great oppertunities for advancment...loved working here. Was a fun fast passed environment
a good learning experiance for anyone wanting to work in management
hourly manager (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJune 22, 2017
dollar general is a chain of small stores
I learned to manage a small staff
management team is the primary workforce
there is minimal teamwork due to small staff
keeping on schedule
working with driven hard working individuals
Pros
health care and pade time off
Cons
wages are not competative and small staff for workload
uninviting
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Overbrook, KSJune 22, 2017
unprofessional place of employment at this particular store. Manager picks favorites, terrorizes others. Stress level is above the roof due to managers anger.
Great for in Colloge Kids
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJune 22, 2017
This is an Ideal job for someone that is in school. You could do it while you study or do homework. Pay is good for what you are doing. The company is also very will managed.
stocking, stocking, and more stocking
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Robinson, TXJune 22, 2017
Stocking is an integral part of the job even if you're a cashier. This is one of those jobs left to teens desperate for work. It could probably be a stepping stone to a better internal position, but it would take time and effort.
Great Place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLJune 22, 2017
Some Of The Managers Are Mean But Other Than That Its Fun..They Pay Fair And You Get Overtime Sometimes But I Left Because I Moved Out Of State And Then returned
Fun work environment if you have a staff that's willing to work
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, GAJune 22, 2017
A typical work day is knowing what your tasks are and completing them in a timely manner. I have learned how to multi-tasks in a very busy workplace, as far as dealing with customers and trying to stock the shelves. Management speaks for it self some of maanagers work and some don't just be mindful of when you work for certain ones that try to make you do there work. The hardest part I would have to say dealing with some customers.
i enjoyed meeting new people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIJune 22, 2017
I really enjoyed working and meeting new people daily and helping others when needed. Im a people person so i love talking an starting new relationships.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
short breaks
They haven't worked out the kinks yet.
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 22, 2017
You will only work overtime if they are short staffed. If they are fully staffed you will not get all of your hours and won't be able to afford the health insurance. To get a 100% production rate you are literally running around. And if you don't make rate. You will be fired after 6weeks.
Pros
They give out gifts on holidays and or feed you.
Cons
Health Insurance is expensive, and you work all holidays
assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ohio City, OHJune 21, 2017
I feel that working for dollar general you have no life besides the store. they leave one person to run an entire store. there were days when i was alone for 6-10 hours by myself, one its extremely unsafe and two its hard to work (put stock away, run register, and order items)
Pros
Cons
low pay, no help
I care not to discuss
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Albany, LAJune 21, 2017
While working for Dollar General. They will work you for little pay and you will do every little task that is required of you. They cut hours with no warning ! It will be great if they can appreciate their workers because they do all the work and they make it so complicated.
Pros
You get to work with the public and they will let you know if you're doing a great job
Cons
They only see Christmas as a holiday and I think they should close eary on Sundays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8