Dollar General
5,138 reviews

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Work Life.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2015
Dollar General is a great place to work if you are a single woman or man with no children. It is a great place to work but you get little to no home time. I am a store manager at dollar general and I work 6 days a week but the store is busy and so much has to be done with not enough payroll. So I have to work extra hours and longer days to get things done.
A very nice job with good benefits and good crew members.
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee), Rayville, LaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Descent breaks and knowing sales before anybody.
Cons: Short breaks and working register all day.
Working at Dollar General is a exciting, fun, and very productive. Since I've worked for this company I've learned that having a positive attitude and good customer service skills makes you and the customers have a great day. Also working with friendly coworkers helps the day go by nice and smooth. The hardest part of this job is dealing with rude customers. But all you have to do is be yourself and stay in character. So the most enjoyable part is helping customers and making sure shopping is easier for everybody.
Productive learning environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 1, 2015
I enjoyed my time and experience I received at Dollar General. I learned a lot and owe my beginnings of knowledge and work ethic in the retail industry here.
productive work enviroment
Manager (Third Key (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Cool Manager, meeting new people
Cons: low pay
A typical day at work was fun and easy. There was always something that needed to be done. I learned great management and customer service skills. My manager was easy going and she always made sure her store was in order. The hardest part about my job was carrying heavy items that i shouldn't have been carrying in the first place. The most enjoyable part about the job was meeting new people and getting paid.
Slower pace then in a big box store
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Dothan, ALJuly 1, 2015
Fast pace, seems as if things are always changing. Great prices, this makes it very convenient for customers to come in and get what they are looking for.
stressfull for that type of work
HANDLING CUSTOMER SERVICE DUTIES (Former Employee), Greenville, TXJuly 1, 2015
the store was so unorganized that it was difficult to stock shelves. i was suppose to complete the training on the computer before I could close the store but did not.
Busy and productive work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Martinsburg, WVJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at Dollar General would be very busy and full of tasks to complete. I would run the lead register, stock the shelves, set up displays in the store, and interact with customers in one shift. It is exiting to always have a task to complete because it takes a high level of focus and commitment. This job has helped me learn how to juggle multiple things at once and lead others along the way. My managers and coworkers are determined and easy to work with. The hardest part of my job is having to run the register while having to complete a task on the opposite end of the store. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the customers.
Dollar General cashier and stock
cashier, stock (Former Employee), Laurel, MSJuly 1, 2015
Pros: hours, learning experience
Cons: smokers, unloading the trucks
I loved my job. I loved to stay busy. It was hard work but I loved it. The worse part was unloading the truck on Fridays. The boxes can be very heavy.
I would work at Dollar General again in a heartbeat just if I had a different management team.
My co-workers were very nice but managers needed to improve. We had issues where our manger would degrate our assistant manger and yell at her in front of customers and other employees. Things were not handled like they should have been.
My only main problem that I had was all of the managers and employees were smokers EXCEPT me. They would be taking – more... "smoke breaks" every 30 mins while I was left to work on my own running everything while they smoked. They would all smoke together same time. It was frustrating that I would need help and couldnt find anyone half the time because they were out back. I only got my breaks that were required by the state and Im not complaining about my breaks. I was happy and fine with my breaks. I just feel like everyone else should had to have the same breaks as me and not just have them when they needed a cig. Out of 8 hours they may have worked 5 because of their smoke breaks.
I was able to keep front end cleaned, face items and keep my line down by myself while they did whatever. – less
fun and productive work environment
Assistant manager/ cashier2 (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 1, 2015
Pros: working with great people
Cons: having to deal with rude customers
Working at Dollar General was fun and productive. I started as a cashier and worked my way up to assistant manager and I loved my management position. However, it was a lot of responsibility, but I enjoyed it! We had to unload the trucks on Saturdays and have everything stalked on the shelves by the end of the day on Sunday. So on Sunday mornings, we would come in at 6 am and we would usually have the whole truck worked and everything put up no later than noon on Sundays. During the week, I was usually the one to open the store 2-3 days of the week and the other 2-3 days i closed the store. I really enjoyed what I did. I worked there for about a year and a half and then I ended up moving across the country to Michigan.
I wouldn't work there again
Cashier (Former Employee), Bryan, TXJuly 1, 2015
The job is easy but the schedules are insecure. Full time positions are given to managers and supervisors and the cashier positions are part-time. Management hires too many people which reduces the hours to sometimes 5 hours a week but there's also a high number of people who quit or don't show up, so you get stuck working 2 shifts unexpectedly as well. The hardest part of the job is that they only have one cashier and a manager working during each shift which is frustrating when it's a busy day and the lines of customers are constantly long. Constant glitches in the system are frustrating.
productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Indianola, IAJuly 1, 2015
mainly stocking shelves and helping with customer service, helping the vendors set up their displays, and unloading the trucks with the products sold in the stores
very poor working environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Center Hill, FLJune 30, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: bad working facility
the customers were the only reason i stayed at the job. i loved being able to see the usual customers and being able to connect with them. but the managers and coworkers always had an 'im better than you" attitude.
The company was a great place to work and was able to put alot of input to change things as they were needed.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INJune 30, 2015
Open Store and make sure deposit was made to take to bank, Make sure all signs were up for the next ads or current,
I have that leadership takes a lot of control, The hardest part was truck day and putting out seasonable merchandising out,
I loved the regular customers that came into the store
Fast paced and friendly environment
Manager & Stockist (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MIJune 30, 2015
My time at dollar general was time spent well. I learned many new things and the people were very friendly. The work environment was fast paced and clean. The customers were friendly.
Customer Oriented Company
Casheir (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNJune 30, 2015
The customers were the best part about the job, the management changed a lot of times through the 3 months I was with the company.
Great work environment with successful leadership
Lead Sales Associate Full Time (Former Employee), Hillsboro, KSJune 29, 2015
Great management with easy going people. Fun work environment but we got a lot of things done. Everyone was very patient
company with good benefits
Asst manager (Former Employee), Thibodaux, LAJune 29, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: work load
a typical day at dollar general was putting up stock, checking in vendors, keeping the store at five or higher rating, making daily deposits, and great customer service. I learned how to become more aware of my customers needs. Management was at a struggle, but we got through it. My co-workers strived everyday to work as hard as they could while on their shift. The hardest part of my job was putting up stock. The most enjoyable part about my job was meeting new customers.
My Experience Working For Dollar General
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIJune 29, 2015
Pros: Weekly pay
Cons: Rude customers
Dollar General was the best job I have ever had in my life, if I could go back I would. I loved working for Dollar General. I believe if you cant handle being under pressure, DG is not the job for you honestly.
does not care about employees
Manager on Duty (Current Employee), Aragon GA 30125June 29, 2015
Pros: customers are great
Cons: to many managers now
does not care about employees. working in a hot store, bathroom does not work.Customers are great I love working with the public
Wonderful customers
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 29, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: not enough staff to get projects accomplished
Every day was a busy day. Sometimes so much that I wasn't able to get everything done that should have been done. My co-workers were wonderful to work with and seeing the many return customers was satisfying.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more

Dollar General Salaries