Dollar General
3,999 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

This company does not reward the work you put in
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Nesbit, MSNovember 19, 2014
I loved my management team. They were thoughtful and wonderful people. All have sense left the company. I learned how to create planograms and work side by side with nice people. The company does not give compensate its employees good enough for the work that the managers do.
Dollar General was a good work place i learned alot
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), South Boston, VANovember 19, 2014
loading and unloading trucks at time it was hard and hot but over all i learned alot new things
good enviorment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Burns Flat, OKNovember 19, 2014
every on worked good together we all got along work long hard hours and we enjoyed are job
ok
Lead sales associate (Current Employee), Springdale, ARNovember 19, 2014
I work too late at night
the job itself is fairly simple
I would prefer better closing hours
the customers are entertaining
my co-workers are okay
management could use improvement
Enjoyable workplace
MANAGER (Current Employee), Hazel Green, ALNovember 18, 2014
I learn how to deal with various type of people and how to mul-titask on a daily basis.
prouctive in enjoyable
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee), Pennsauken NJNovember 18, 2014
typical work day opening or closing store.helping customers/cashier,stocking,cleaning,etc.im learned how to more active in friendly with customers more hands on.my coworkers where awesome,helpful,hard workers.there really wasn't a hard part about the job for me.what i enjoyed most about the job is the customers in helping,in building relations with – more... them. – less
busy place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Beckley, WVNovember 17, 2014
Pros: was full time work
Cons: short breaks small raises and no benefits or paid vacations
Busy day i learned how to work gas pumps and lotto machine and how to do money orders.My manager was awesome. Loved my co workers. The hardest part was dealing with alcoholics and shoplifters. The most enjoyable part was all the sweet customers .
Worst Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Salisbury, NCNovember 17, 2014
I was worked like a mule. A majority of the work was left for me to do alone and if I didnt complete the work that night I was written up. I had to beg for one day off to attend my family reunion when I asked a month ahead. My superiors were hateful and rude and even called me "Yall people" being that I am of African American decent this highly offended – more... me. I would never work for this company again. – less
Crazy but fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Theodore, ALNovember 17, 2014
A typical day at work would include waiting tables, greeting customers, handling cash, busing tables, washing dishes, cleaning and stocking store, prepping food, and sometimes cooking. You learn how to multitask in a very fast paced environment and help others as well as do your own work. Management is great. Co-workers are down to earth and really – more... personable. The hardest part of the job would be having to wash dishes and wait on tables when the store is packed and there is no down time. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with the customers. – less
Easy days and hard days
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Radcliff, KYNovember 17, 2014
Pros: long breaks
Cons: no employee discount
A day at Dollar General can vary in both directions. If you have good co-workers that do there part work is never to much for anybody. But if you have employees that don't work and sit around all day the work they don't do you have to do plus the work for your shift. the most enjoyable part of the day is interacting with customers as you check them – more... out. – less
Great first job; many lessons learned.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kannapolis, NCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: customer interaction, friendly coworkers.
Cons: short-notice schedules, horrible managers, unkempt stores.
I worked in 3 different Dollar Generals in the year I was with the company. The stores vary extremely, in cleanliness, managerial experience, and the type of customers you will deal with.

The first store I was in, I had a consistent schedule, which was great, but the manager was hard to work for. He was very intimidating, stern, and unfriendly to customers – more... and employees alike. I've heard from dozens of people who have been to his store that he is "scary". Needless to say, it got overwhelming to work for him from time to time, which led me to a transfer.

The second store I worked with, the manager was extremely friendly which was a wonderful change. However, there is a line between laid-back and unprofessional that I'm sad to say, this manager crossed several times. I witnessed this particular manager argue with customers, cause scenes, follow shoplifters...all of which are strictly against the company's policy. The manager was young and frankly shouldn't have been in a position of power. Her lowers were made to clean up her messes frequently and as I keep in touch with some, they have since moved on to other jobs as a consequence of the manager's actions and the way she would talk to/treat us.

The third Dollar General I worked in, I was only an employee for a day, as the store needed some temporary help. It was the best experience I'd had at one of the stores thus far. They played uplifting music, the manager was warm and professional, and the customers were typically older and extremely welcoming. It all made me wish I'd been originally hired to this store.

Overall, seeing fights, shoplifting, people on different types of influences, and frequent police visits made me want to leave this company in search of something better for myself. I'm not sure if I would return, but I don't regret working there. I learned many lessons and it was a great variety of jobs to prepare me for others down the road. – less
Very detailed knowledge of retail
Cashier (Former Employee), daleville alNovember 16, 2014
Great Work experience with employer and customers. Good training and flexible work schedule.
good pay, bad management
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LANovember 16, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Dollar General outside of manager. Hours are generally flexible and pay is good.
always have something to do
Part-Time Sales Associate Lead (Current Employee), North Bend, OHNovember 15, 2014
i have good co-workers. Get along with all my co-workers. The manager and assistant manager are nice also and make sure you know how to do your job 100%.
Straight to business with friendly, understanding managment.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: only two people worked at a time.
The typical day was not exhilarating of course but there was no time for resting either. The most important lesson I learned is unfortunately customers are not your friends. There was not hard part of the job everything was fair when it came to difficulty.
dollar general
assistant manager (Former Employee), West Monroe, LANovember 15, 2014
overall a very bad experience i was accused of stealing when all along it was the store manager doing it.
Productive community based company
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Toledo, OHNovember 15, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: not enough hours
A great place to get to know people in the neighborhood. Able to work on customer service and organizational skills. Great job to be able to learn and grow for another job in the future.
good/bad days put threw good strong attiude
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Selma, ALNovember 15, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch break 2
Cons: 30 mins lunch break
learned a lot of thing different skills love my work
working for this company was really good
Very fun place to work.
Third Key Supervisor (Former Employee), Wellston, OhioNovember 15, 2014
Pros: fun, customers
Cons: pay
For the most part staff and customers helped make for great days at work. Pay wasn't the best.
Cashier (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2014
It was the same as experience in Arkansas, as it was here. It's the same work guidelines.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more