Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 12,202 reviews matching the search
What I learned from workinf
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hartsville S.C.August 19, 2017
the most inportance part of the job is using your time well and doing your best on any job. and making use of good time, on job
I ve learned some patients with all peoples in and out of work place
and myself too. my days are made complete with all my jobs and with children I love hoiladays and Brithdays on and of f my job
Pros
I worked the NAC ate free every day twice and it was free.
Cons
I work hard for what I want .
Great store.
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 19, 2017
Okay store. It was my first retail store so i learned the basic in retailing store was barely clean and the items were never stocked up leaving with lots of angry customers
good/bad
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCAugust 19, 2017
Overall i loved my job. The last few months they made major changes and lost a lot of long time managers. I worked there for 7 years and it onlu got to the breaking point in the last 6 months and in my district alone the turn over rate was so high we had no one to cover all the shifts needed and managers were working 70 80 hours a week.
Pros
managers have other managets back
Cons
no work life balance
Stay Busy
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOAugust 19, 2017
There is always something to do to stay busy here. Never worry about being bored. For the most part everyone gets along great and getting advanced in job title is usually very quick.
Pros
Job title advancement
Cons
Work alot of evenings and weekends
job overworked me
Asst Manager Perishables (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2017
It was fine until I got a new manager. I had to come in 7 days a week for 10 hours at a time as an assistant manager. It got so bad, I ended up overworking myself and fell ill.
it's a fun place to work.
Sales Associate /Main Cashier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48238August 19, 2017
A typical work day would consist of cleaning cash register area, stocking HB&A,team meetings, working the front end cash register and greeting as well as helping customers have the most enjoyable shopping experience and walk out extremely happy. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new customers and making them smile. also, assisting them in anyway i could. the hardest part of my job was dealing with theft. management was very friendly and respectable. woking here i learned how to push sales, work with different personalities and solving conflict. As well as recovery and stocking.
Pros
discounts at hotels when you showed your DG I.D badge
Cons
health care, low hourly wage.
Eh not the best
Dollar General Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milner, GAAugust 18, 2017
It was okay it was a job it paid.................................................the manager I had was kinda rude to her customers. Of course I had to apologize
Pros
Hardly any breaks
Cons
Hardly any breaks
good job for a cashier
Cashier/lead key holder (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 18, 2017
Being a cashier with this company was great, but once promoted to management, the job becomes over stressful with no hours to get the tasks accomplished. Some days as manager, you are on register and manning the entire store for yourself. Other days, you take the fall for things out of your control/other employees. Working off the clock happens occasionally as long as the person is off camera. overall, this company is not well run. Other stores have been run better than this location, but there is not much room to fix this given the payroll hours.
Typical minimum wage job
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 18, 2017
High turnover lead to an need to continuously train new employees and average management that was unable to keep up, lead to the majority of new employee training to be done by the lowest level workers.
It was a fun place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manistee, MIAugust 18, 2017
Cashiering by taking and exchanging money. Stocking shelves by putting new product on the shelves. Answer phone and answer question about what is in the store, over the phone.
Pros
Works around my family time
Cons
mean cosumers
Wonderful place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 18, 2017
The people I worked with became family and was awesome to work with. My former boss here made sure we was taken care of and we had what we needed for the day.
Great place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2017
Dollar General is lovely. Great work opportunity. Flexible hours. The Dungan Road location is a great work environment for anyone with a great work ethic.
unorganized
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSAugust 18, 2017
I personally would not recommend anyone work there. The upper managers don't care who they hire as long as they are not the ones in the store. The store is always a mess.
awesome
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 18, 2017
liked working there, didn't love it as a career, but it was nice . management was cool. always room to move up in that company. friendly environment, good money, good hours
Productive work place
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSAugust 18, 2017
Dollar General is a good company to work for. The only down part about it is if you get a sorry manager. Poor management makes it hard to get the job done properly.
Pros
Very good company to work for
Cons
The manager is what makes a difference for each store
it was one of the worst jobs i have ever had
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CT 06010August 18, 2017
the management was a mess and the work environment was horribly.
no one cared to help one another or do anything on there own. i felt that i had to do everything even the managers job.
Stressful workplace
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Agra, OKAugust 18, 2017
Manager is more stressful then the workplace itself, at Agra Dollar General, that is. Typical night shift consists of completing the morning shifts duties and likewise for the other way around. Constantly getting called in on days off and when not scheduled. The only thing enjoyable about working at Agra Dollar General is being able to make friends and interact with customers.
Pros
Interacting with customers
Cons
Management, hours, call-ins, & just about everything else.
ok i guess
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gilbertown, ALAugust 18, 2017
the job its self was good not enough pay. I did not have a very good manager she was never in the store and she always expected us to get ready for management visitors at the very last minute. she didn't care how bad the store looked. she is no longer working as a manager where I worked at.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management, pay
My job at Dollar General
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 18, 2017
I love my job but i don't have a good team to support me there and that make your job hard because your there pulling doubles like crazy other then that its great
Great work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2017
This job was great. I left to join the military but I would definitely go back. Great staff, they made sure I was properly trained. Very calm environment, great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8