Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 9,827 reviews matching the search
Dollar General is a national chain small retail store
Shift Leader / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Harrison, OHFebruary 6, 2017
This job has flexible hours that works well with your family time and personal life. There is potential for advancement with hands on training for management positions. The job includes stocking shelves, maintaining a clean, organized environment. Assisting customers in finding what they are looking for. Handling cash and credit/debit cards, The company policies have changed since I worked there. Currently there is no full time positions and no over time available.
Pros
You meet friendly and interesting people daily.
Cons
Only part time hours available to associates other than managers. No health benefits
Your average Dollar Store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXJanuary 29, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of working the register, cleaning, stocking and recovery. It was my first job, so I learned a lot about working under someone and taking orders. Management was just as average as the rest of the store. There's really nothing great about management and nothing bad either. I didn't really see the store manager very much but when I did, she would usually give me the orders for the day and then stay in the back doing paper work. The hardest part of the job was being alone for most of the time. I was really new when they just left the store to me the first few times. It wasn't that difficult but there were a few times when I wasn't really trained to accomplish some of the talks I was required to do when the store was left to me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the regular customers.
Pros
Not a lot of shelves to handle, small trucks.
Cons
Terrible Pay, Really short breaks, almost no benefits.
Good Starter for Cashier but Not a good place to Work your way up
Part-Time Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 20, 2017
Dollar General was a great place to learn how to work a cash register and be a part time cashier. Not very hard day to day work and your co workers are usually very nice and easy to work with. Although Working your way up is very difficult due to the pay they give you for what they expect you to do. Going from cashier to manager I got a 50 cent raise (From 8 to 8.50.) Especially since there are always only 2 people in the store. You're expected to run the entire store, keep it stocked, keep it clean, and open/close (Which includes the deposit) all for less than a cashier job next door at the supermarket.
Pros
Easy work and good people
Cons
Pay and work advancement
Take the bad with the good.
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norridge, ILJanuary 7, 2017
Unless you are a store manager, this company has high turn over. It's a typical retail employer. The benefits are decent but not worth having with the amount one makes an hour. Benefits are good for upper management because they make enough to afford them. They rely heavily on CBL's which are videos you review and test on. It saves time but you have little time to complete them when a store is given very little hours to complete the weekly responsibilities. This company is very customer orientated. If you are fortunate to work for an efficient and fair store manager, your experience will be a good one.
Pros
Customer traffic, variety of products, opportunity to advance
Cons
High turn over, hourly compensation, cost of benefits
Good starting job for entry level into retail
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 24, 2017
Dollar General is a good starting job for anyone looking into getting retail and retail management. Great experience to have because you are thrown different aspects that's needed in bigger retail or to further your career. Depending on where you go there are wonderful places to go within to expand your career. But if you get a in a store that's need more work it can be very overbearing and your Dollar General will become your life so balance is key in this place of work.
Pros
Benefits, career advancement
Cons
Management, store, pay, and hours
Short term pit stop at best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, SCJanuary 20, 2017
Wages are the lowest in the country. Even if you get promoted to keyholder or asst manager, the pay is still awful. I made more money washing dishes at Dennys than i did as a keyholder at DG. There are NO benefits, no time and a half. The place is a revolvong door for employees. This makes it impossible to have a smooth running ship when your longest tenured employee has only been there a few months. And it greatly increases your work load because your always short handed 1 or 2 people. My store manager was fired for a number of bad things. And the new manager seemed out of place and even lazy at times. Overall it was my worst job experiance of my 12 years in the work force. Avoid at all costs unless you are really desperate. Even then, make it a temporary pit stop. Its not a long term job and there is no advancment. Corporate is very stingy also.
Pros
Small stores that are easy to memorize. Daily duties are fairly simple.
Cons
Revolving door of employees, always short handed, terrible pay, no benefits, no advancement.
With comes promotions, comes higher complexity
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hitchcock, TXMarch 1, 2017
At times i's been great, at times its been a disaster, when you're a normal worker its simple enough, as i progressed through management i find myself at my most stressed out, the company meta currently is to save money on hours and only have store managers do most of the work while being there, working 50-60 hours a week, as a store manager, you get paid salary at 40 hours per week, when a store manager quits, the pressure gets bumped upon the next member down.

Managing a store requires teamwork, not an individual.
Pros
Paid for all hours worked
Cons
exhaustion is almost promised, as you move higher up
Torture chamber
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 31, 2016
Just straight up not a good place to work unless you're willing to age 10 years quicker and watch your health deteriorate!! Their main objective is to save the company money so anyone who's ever worked for a place like that should know the employees who's helping them get rich don't mean anything to them. Nobody will ever make a career their because at some point in your tenure you WILL be fired! Supervisors are just role fillers and want to be dictators because they have little to no knowledge of how to run their department which in turn causes you to work a lot of overtime including your off days. Just a terrible place to work. If you plan on working here then i suggest that you sign up for 401k because the good thing is that they will match your contributions by 10% and the money accumulate very quickly. Sign up for it because like i said at some point you will be fired and that 401k will help you financially until you find employment somewhere else
Pros
Great food in vending machines
Cons
Short breaks
A Good Starter Job that is it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIOctober 20, 2016
This job is a good starter job, but that is about it. You are required to do the following: Stocking of shelves, which you are timed on how fast you can stock them from your U- cart. You are also required to do recovery at the end of the day. Meaning, you will have to take misplaced items and put them back in the proper place, you will also have to take inventory of any stolen items. You are required to run the cash register, and if you have 3 or more people in line, then you call management up to help you, besides that You are the one that mainly mans the register. The benefits are not worth much, and unless you are super precise you will not have any advancement within the company.
Pros
works with schedule
Cons
long hours, random shifts, a lot of work
Stressful
Lead Associate Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Brevard County, FLMarch 18, 2017
I still work for them. As a Lead Associate I have found that over the last couple of years they expect you to do everything, working as a cashier, recovering, throwing stock, and make sure you watch for when customers arrive at counter. You have to be a super hero. It's really hard to do especially if you don't know where everything goes. Then, management writes people up for not working hard enough, if you do your best that should be good enough, but it's not to them. The best part I like about them is that I get to meet some very nice people, and they have excellent benefits.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Very stressful
Excellent Company With Great Promotion Potential
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Clovis, NMMarch 5, 2017
I have been a store manager with Dollar General for years and I must say this company is great for work/life balance and has amazing promotion potential. I know there will be many reading this thinking I am some sort of company man spouting hyperbole, but I will counter that for every bad review you have read there is always more to it behind the scenes.
If you are a QUALITY employee you will move up quickly. I have personally promoted many assistant managers and store managers under my leadership. Every store is only as good as its leadership and I will say that if Dollar General has been guilty of one thing over the years it has been an emphasis on quick hiring, and many store managers lack the experience or patience to make their store great.
All I can say is that I rarely work more than 45-50 hours per week, I have a very competitive salary, and I've always had the support of my management with my other career in the Reserves. In fact, I nominated the company as an outstanding employer of the Navy Reserve in 2016 and they won; 1 of 50 employers recognized nationally. Don't write off Dollar General until you've worked for the company.
Pros
Work/life balance
Working here is really for retired people and teenagers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 14, 2016
Usually very stable to work here. They do start you off at minimum wage as a cashier and you cannot receive raises unless you are promoted. Managers are generally helpful and know what they are doing. Very tedious environment. This job would be perfect for someone who is retiring or wants to get their foot in the door. You are not able to really advance quickly. The hardest part of the job would have to be working with people who do not want to really be there. They can really drag your team down especially during sales month. I suggest you ask all of the W questions before you even apply here. Why do I want to work here? Who will work with me? What am I willing to do for minimum wage? Where will I be placed? When will I receive a promotion? To be quite frank, you really should not work here if you want to advance quickly. This job is for a slower paced type of person who wants a bit of pocket change
Pros
receive a lot of hours if you work hard
Cons
cannot advance quickly, no pay raises
Overworked underpaid
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Marion, INDecember 6, 2016
I've worked a few warehouses before so when I got laid off I thought I come over here and things would be the same, they arent.

They have high production goals that are super hard to meet normally but with the added effect that it's crowded and by far the messiest most unorganized place I've ever worked for makes it even harder

They rarely give you downtime and then complain that you aren't meeting their goals

Also place is a haven of injuries and turnovers in October we had 11 injuries where someone went to the hospital

Also forklift drivers won't cut plastic or even put the product in the right location making even more work that you won't get downtime for

Also the salary is a joke only 14$ an hour when Walmart a town over pays 19$ an hour

Also prepare to never get any sleep because you'll be working 12 hour shifts 5 6 days a week

Only go here if you're absolutely desperate even then beware
store was not well kept and i felt tricked once hired on
Sales Associate/Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2017
store was not well kept and i felt tricked once hired on because it was so unorganized from inventory to the product on the shelves.

Basically the store was out of wack and even though it had been like that before I was hired me & other employees had to take the heat for it.

Very low pay no good benefits for the amount of work done.

Part time I was only getting anywhere from 15 to 21 hours a week.

Short handed all the time and the new hires were treated as they been there for years and left alone to work not being correctly trained.
Pros
Cons
short breaks or no breaks
poor management and no team work
Shift Supervisor/Lead Key holder (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCDecember 29, 2016
I am a 3rd key and I have been with the company 3 years and I have been trying to advance but lack of manager turnover and DM turnover or Manager for kiss the DM behind or vise visa happens. I tried everything from trying to transfer out to make the situation better but the DM and Store manager refused to let me go. Store manager turnover and also cashiers.
Pros
small amount of benefits, small vaction time (if you can use it)
Cons
uppermangement, store management, lack of communcation, no advance, the pay etc etec
Be prepared to never see your family
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Somewhere, WVOctober 13, 2016
I have worked at DG for 18 months and I work an average 70 hours per week but they expect even more. There is never enough hours to give my people and they expect the employees to live off 4-10 hours per week while the salary employees work hours and hours alone since there is not enough time in the budget. Their "7 day work flow" is designed to run the store but only limits how you can work and managers end up doing everything and running the registers too. It is a very difficult job and there is no help from upper management if you have family emergencies. Instead they expect you to work while you wait for your loved one to get out of the hospital or to only take one day off when immediate family members pass away or to take your personal days to cover the funeral.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
growth
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 25, 2017
Running the store can be stressful but it is room for growth. It is good to learn how to deal with all type of people.
Accounts Payable Processes & Management
Invoices/Expense Reports/Payment Transactions
Vendor Negotiations & Management
Records Organization & Management
Journal Entries & General Ledger
Time Management
Pros
Great benefits for full-time workers
Cons
A lot of stock to put out and standing for long hours
Hard Work, no reward.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CASeptember 30, 2016
This asks me to be honest about the review of this company. I was a store manager, and I was assigned to a store that was already in bad shape. The given hours for this store sorely lacked in all aspects. There were times thanks to the staffing that I was running the entire store single-handed, which was not to be done. The support, or should I say the lack of support from the senior management can really hinder you. As a manager I was always working past the time that I was supposed to be home, and due to my own mistake, I was working after I had clocked out, as I had gotten involved with a project. The company terminated my employment for violation of company policy, and did not care to listen to my explanation. I would truly give thought to all of the pros and cons with this company before accepting a offer. I will not call it a trap, but I will say that it's not a forgiving or supportive company.
Pros
The Salary was good..
Cons
No work-life balance, No support, No Hours for staffing, and several others.
Dollar General Great Crew and Management Team Members
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 2, 2017
As a Keyholder daily operations included but not limited to ; Stocking, Store Recovery, Freight Deliveries, Managing Cashiers. While most of my Management Experience is in Convenience Stores and Inventory Business, I discovered different means and methods concerning stock placement and different Merchandising Techniques.
Pros
Great Management and Co-Workers. Good Teamwork skills.
Cons
Reduced hours, no benefits for Part- time employees.
Family atmosphere, good relations with customers and co-workers, easy job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kenmore, NYNovember 8, 2016
Once you learn the job and who all the regular customers are it's easy to make your day fun and have some laughs. Very low stress. I love my Boss! I was asked to become a store manager at one time, that would be the farthest I'd be interested in going up in the company. The benefits of that particular added responsibility don't add up to the flexibility I wish to keep at this job. I see many people start out who complain about the usual things like hours, pay, breaks; those who don't stick with it either have never had a real job or are actually good at everything and find a better job and move one. You have to be personable and have retail sensibility- it's so adaptive.
Pros
easy atmosphere
Cons
low wages, few evaluations, customer relations can be uneasy conserning thieft issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8