Dollar General
4,921 reviews

Dollar General Employee Reviews

fun working place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 28, 2015
I learned how to do schedules, do payroll, how to order the truck every week, I liked working with everyone that worked with me. I was a great manager.
Fun working with customers.
Sales Associate, Cashiers (Former Employee), Beulaville, NCMay 27, 2015
My day at work was filled with adventure, i always learned something new every day. I had fun working with customers. I learned how to deal with confrontation in different ways.
a hard, and rewarding Job
Store Manager (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMay 27, 2015
Pros: Working as a team.
Cons: No support from D.M.
Help Customers, assign task to Employees, prepare Deposits, check in Deliveries.
I learned a lot about inventory, and Profit, and loss.
I was the Manager, I made work fun.
Employees were awesome, most of them.
Dealing with the District Manager.
Making Schedules.
If you are prepared to work long hard hours, it's a good job.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Butler, PAMay 27, 2015
Working for this company was enjoyable, but the hours can be extremely grueling for a manager. Having a life outside of working nearly 70 hours a week is nearly impossible, but I did love the work I was doing and the people I was serving.
Store Manager (Current Employee), North Charleston, SCMay 27, 2015
I do enjoy working for them. The employees are wonderful and are hard working .We keep our store in order as we show our wonderful customer the best customer service we can provide
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 27, 2015
Great place to work and network to meet new people. Good with work scheduling around other jobs as well as when you need time off
A place that expects hard work and helping people a great place to work
Human Resources Receptionist (Former Employee), Scottsville, KYMay 27, 2015
Pros: Company Pinic
Cons: Health Care
A place that expects hard work and helping people and the health care needs to improve. A great place to work and concern about the community.
excellent management experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 27, 2015
Being a store manager at Dollar General made me a better leader. Doing the day to day operations, completing paper work, cash handling, hiring potential assistants and/or store managers gave me a boost in my management experience.
cashier experience
cashier (Former Employee), mobile alMay 27, 2015
Pros: learned a new skill
Cons: no room to grow
wished i hasd been given more hours to work but glad to have been here because i gained experience inm a new area of retail; that i didnt have before
Bad Company
Store Manager (Current Employee), Simpsonville, SCMay 27, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: they put profit and Operational issues over people and customers
Company and Culture say they care about their people, but keeping the store open at any cost is their primary concern. I had less than 9 days off in 6 months and worked over 60 a week every week. In the last 4 weeks with them I worked with no breaks or rest from open till close. Thats 12 plus hours non stop at a register by myself in the store. I worked over 100 hours in one of those weeks. Thats open till close 7 days in a row with no time off.
Enjoyable work place I had fun working in retail settings.
Cashier (Former Employee), Georgetown, SCMay 27, 2015
Pros: days requested off
Cons: not having been listened to
Overall it was a great place to work. I actually wanted to apply for a lead associate position. To further my job security.
Interesting opportunity with fast advancment
Lead store specialist for Ohio (Current Employee), ohioMay 26, 2015
This is a very fast paced job, I have learned that if you want a career with this company, it is available. My co workers are great, and I enjoy interacting with the customers. The management team seem to work together very well.
A great place to work if your willing to climb
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mineral, VAMay 26, 2015
Cons: for part-timers, there are zero benefits, you start out at minimum wage and get a 25 cent raise once a yr. The hours are crummy as well.
If you want a career that allows you to grow and climb, Dollar General would be the company to work for...They promote people quickly within the stores.
Quiet Location
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kingsland, GAMay 26, 2015
I was always busy doing something. There was hardly any time to be bored. Time passed very fast. Management was good. Coworkers were friendly. The hardest part of working here was the hours and pay. I liked a lot of the customers that came in.
Despicable and Greedy company
Store Manager (Former Employee), Henderson, TNMay 26, 2015
Pros: co workers and customers
Cons: upper management (all)
After 3 years as a Store Manager which became a waste of time working for this company which continued to ensure their employees changes are coming, I finally threw in the white flag. This company does not care for their store level employees in any manner. They only allow enough payroll hours to run the store at about half its potential, requiring their store managers to work 6 to 7 days every week totaling from 70 to 90 plus hours a week. As a salary manager for Dollar General expect no time for friends or family and any leisure time you are giving up the day you take the salary position. Upper management continued for 3 years!! to ensure the salary managers changes were company so they would have more of a work/life balance; however, instead during my 3 years my team and I increased sales by almost $400,000 but our payroll hours allowed stayed the same. Over my last year there I would be lucky to have one day off a week and between Sept and Dec my first day off was Dec 25th because the store was closed! Every day I had off between Dec 26th and when I left the company at the beginning of May, I had to use a vacation day just to get a day off. THINK TWICE BEFORE WORKING FOR A COMPANY WHICH CARES SO LITTLE FOR ITS EMPLOYEES
Ordinary retail outlet made fun with coworkers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pierceton, INMay 26, 2015
Pros: Relatively flexible management
Cons: Often called in on days off
My first retail position. I had never operated a cash register before, but I got the hang of things rather quickly. When I wasn't assisting a customer at checkout, I was to help unload freight and stock shelves, which I enjoyed. I was quickly promoted to the third-key position, and I took on even more duties, such as opening and closing the store, setting up cash drawers in the morning and counting them down at the end of the night. I enjoyed the third key position, because it allowed me a bit more freedom to move around the store, focus primarily on freight, and assist my coworkers when the lines built up. Most of the difficulty came from being in a small town, and the vast majority of our customers were regulars, who - because of their status as regulars - were under the impression that they were an exception to a lot of the rules and policies DG as a cooperation upholds. The most enjoyable part was my position allowing me to tell them that they were not an exception to the rules.
Very fasted paced
Sales Associate, stocker (Former Employee), Raton, NMMay 26, 2015
The biggest thing that I have to say about working for Dollar General is it feels like the ones that are the head of the company, do not seem to really show that they appreciate the employees that run the day-to-day operations of the stores.
Productive workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Livingston, TXMay 26, 2015
On a typical work day I would stock shelves, recover the entire store, complete transactions between customers, count till at the beginning and end of each shift.
Not a bad place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ellaville, GAMay 25, 2015
Pros: steady, kept busy, job security
Cons: not enough pay
I enjoyed working here. I had helpful employees and nice customers. The only down side to my job was the pay. For the hours that I put in and the work I did the pay just wasn't very good. The only reason that I left was I had an offer for a better paying job.
great place to work with great customers
Store Manager (Current Employee), Lowell, NCMay 25, 2015
Love the fast paced atmosphere and the wonderful customers. Always something to do so youre never bored. Tons of new things happening everyday.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more

Dollar General Salaries