Dollar General Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,809 reviews matching the search
Fast pace but enjoyable to work there
Key Holder Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, KYJuly 29, 2016
The dollar general is not an easy job. You must work hard and try to achieve the goals given to you. With the right co workers and the right state of mind the dollar general is a promising place to work.
poor comany to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INJuly 29, 2016
Honestly, Dollar General is the worst company I have ever worked for. Pay was awful ! Store manager was horrible, hours were horrible.. and they messed up all of my checks it was like pulling teeth for them the get my pay checks correct ! On some paydays I never got my check.. I encourage people to NEVER appy !
Dollar General
Lead Part-Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Reynolds, GAJuly 29, 2016
Enjoy meeting and helping customers with their needs. Some customers I have made a great relationship with. The store is always neat and clean.
I loved the customers
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Star City, ARJuly 29, 2016
I am glad to have had that experience. I left because I know I could have career. Working here was rather stressful at times. I enjoyed the staff and customers. I did not like only working part time for minimum wage.
Pros
Cons
Part time only
good company but..
District Manager (Former Employee) –  east texasJuly 29, 2016
overall a good company that has lot its way with work life balance, min of 6 days per week. but they do a lot of things right.
Could be better.
Store Mgr (Former Employee) –  Bluff City, TNJuly 29, 2016
As manager you have normal duties: payroll, scheduling, hiring, displays and planograms, inventory, etc. However, everything must be completed, so you have to spend many extra hours to make up for lack of payroll. Average hours spent in store are about 60+ per week (without compensation for extra time). Payroll was never adjusted for increased trending sales. Store was built with goal of $1m per yr, but did almost $1.5m the first yr.
Starting hourly rate too low to get and retain quality employees, so turnover is high. Not enough hours to keep part time associates.
Has a relaxed atmosphere. You are able to interact with and get to know customers and other associates.
Pros
Fulltime benefits, opportunity to excell and get promoted
Cons
Too many uncompensated hours for salaried personnel. Not enough payroll.
Not a productive workplace
Asistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNJuly 29, 2016
The system that corporate expects managers to use does not work. They have a problem at the top and until that is fixed the turn-over rate will keep increasing. Also as a manager, you have to be willing to hire anyone because you can't afford to be short staffed for more than a shift. Also, they do not pay well at all. I ran a store and didn't even make $20,000.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the company
it a fun place to work
Dollar General (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 28, 2016
My typical day at work started by me clocking in for my shift. On my job I learned about team work and how to work well wit customer. The management worked well with everyone and I enjoyed my co-worker.
Stressful
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2016
I as a store manager love my job and my co-workers the only thing that was stressful was the hours. We were doubling our sales from the previous year and the budgeted hours were not increasing. The pay isn't the best either considering the responsibilities and job duties that are expected of you.
Pros
health care if you are full time, team work
Cons
Pay
Productive company too work for
Cashier/Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 28, 2016
It,s a company where you can advance to grow to become a manger it fun to to greet peoples and learn more about the job I like working at dollar general
Pros
Good company too work for
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Middlesboro, KYJuly 28, 2016
Not enough payroll for employees to make a decent paycheck unless you in management best for people looking for part time . Very easy job always have help if you get busy . Not very strenuous.
Pros
Very easy nonstressfull
Cons
Short hours
Dollar General Review
Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 27, 2016
A Typical day at work is a day of working and exceitment. I learned from work at Dollar General is that you have to have patience with the customers letting them know that you can take the time out to show them where the items are. The management is good everyone has a good rotation when it comes to management.My co-workers are awesome everyone does what they are asked or told to do and sometimes they even do more than what they are ask for. i think the hardest part of the job is when the store manger has the other mangers to do so much work the work thats she is suppose to do\or what i think she suppose to do.The most enjoyable thing is the customers because they can make the day go by they can come and say the most sweetiest things they can out a smile on your face they can make you feel like you belong at Dollar General.
Pros
The customers Great co-workers
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours
Great work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Negaunee, MIJuly 27, 2016
I learned how to keep my composure when things don't go as planned or when a customer isn't being the most polite. My coworkers were all really great and fun to work with. The store was well kept and managed in a way that allowed for success to improve through the years.
Great Environment. Terrible Corporation.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cadiz, KYJuly 27, 2016
Any local work is great, and the people are exceptional. My boss is the best boss I have had the pleasure of working for. Corporate is another story.
Pros
No volunteer work
Cons
Corporate
Production Driven
Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Bessmer, AlJuly 27, 2016
It is a nice place to work. The compensation is good, great job security. This is a warehouse position. The hardest part of the job is maintaining 100% production daily.
Dollar gen corp
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ray City, GAJuly 27, 2016
I believe my termination was unfair and I brought it up with HR they did nothing to help. My boss was fired right after I was. My manager wouldn't work she'd hang out outside with customers or friends until after closing and id have to do her clean up detail
Pros
Fair breaks
Cons
not enough audits
Not a fun place to work at
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Perry, GAJuly 27, 2016
They tend to overwork you for little to nothing pay and expect you to be enthusiastic to work here for them.
dollar general
Recycling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJuly 27, 2016
High turn over but good place to work. A good start for anyone seeking work. Long hours and good co workers to work with. Management is okay.
Enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHJuly 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at Dollar General. The people I worked with were extremely helpful and kind. It was a good way to start out learning how to work with the public.
Great COmpany
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Alvin, TXJuly 27, 2016
Great company, could use more pay for the amount work required.I had great work experience and expanded my customers service skills.

2.8