Dollar General
4,486 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

Lot of Freedom, Decent Pay and Unbelievable Hours
Store Manager (Former Employee), Deridder, LAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: flat salary, district managers reachable
Cons: payroll, inventory checks a hardship
Regular week was 90+ hours... Extremely minimal payroll left store manager alone in store for hours on end, stuck on the register instead of working freight or operational management. Trucks once or twice a week brought 100+ cases to unload and stock with usually only one or two helpers, took two days to get through. Inventory was scanned by hand once a week for stock counts to complete orders for inventory.

Repeat customers in a small town were amazing and very friendly

Upper management actually very supportive and reachable, weekly conference calls were very helpful and informative
Great for a first job
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Lexington, OHMarch 2, 2015
Definitely a great experience if you are looking for your first job. Dollar General helped me create my retail foundation.
Easy Job
lead clerk (Former Employee), Rock Hill SCMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great place for moving up!
Cons: the pay rate is to low!
A typical work day at Dollar General was very good. You ran a register, helped customers, help cashiers, and help block and clean the store. I learned how to manage a small store while I was there. The managers there were pretty good to you especially the store manager. Never yelled just talked in a stern voice when you did something wrong. Most of the time I got alone with the co- workers. they never judged me. And was willing to help if needed. I can't think of any hard parts of this job. Working there was an enjoyable time for me. There were times I didn't like but not many.
not a bad place to work
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Springfield,VTMarch 2, 2015
It was a job I showed up and was able to pay the bills with it other than that I would only recommend that you work there if you have no life ambition or just want a part time no brainer job.
Retail
Team Lead (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 2, 2015
Must be willing to multi-task, problem solve without store manager available. Accurately cashier, stock, handle vendors. Customer service resolution.
comfortable
Manager (Current Employee), Springfield, MOMarch 1, 2015
the day to day activities consist basically for good customer service and maintaining a great store quality. not a bad place to work over all
Pleasant environment, enjoyed working with public.
First Clerk / Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Independence, IAMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great management
Cons: low pay
Enjoyable environment, working with nice employees and the public. Generally a fast paced environment. I learned how to stage and market sale items to promote them. I liked my manager. She was a well organized and fair leader. Great co-workers, everyone worked well together. I did not find the job difficult in any way. I enjoyed busy days with lots of customers and stocking new merchandise,
Fast paced work environment
Lead Key Holder (Former Employee), Commerce, OKMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great company
You do not have time to waste one minute. You have to be going constantly. You are timed on everything you do. From unloading the truck, to stocking the inventory, to counting the inventory.
Fun Place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee), Baldwin, WIMarch 1, 2015
I absolutely loved working at Dollar General. Management was great, co-workers were great. I really liked the management part of my job. I thought it was fun doing everything that I had to do; check-in vendors, receive truck, bank run, stock shelves, train new employees, etc.
About Dollar General
Shift Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee), Clarksdale, MSFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: good managment
Cons: healthcare
A typical day at Dollar General consists of greeting and assisting customers, operating the cash register, and recovery. I have learned that in order for a store or company to operate well everyone must play a role. Management is good because you can display leadership and assign duties for everyone to complete given tasks. Co-workers work together and have strong communication.
fun
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee), Canton, OHFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: the people i worked with and the customers
Cons: not enough hours
I learned a lot working there how to use a pricing gun and checking in the truck and closing the truck learned how to do layouts and stocking the store right
Productive and family oriented
Cashier/Closer (Former Employee), Sumter, SCFebruary 28, 2015
I loved working for Dollar General. The co-workers and customers always made it feel like a homey place. I stocked, cleaned, and took care of customers every minute of the work day. I made sure that behind the registers were very clean and the cashiers had extra bags and receipt paper. I made sure that the floors of the building were not blocked or had anything hazardous on them. I took care of everything that I could during my shift.
Can't keep employee's
Asst. Mgr (Current Employee), Roswell, NMFebruary 28, 2015
The new manager seems to be setting realistic goals daily for the employees to accomplish. Manager is team oriented and has a positive attitude for the employees. In the area of the store there is excessive shop lifting and we are continually having to watch for shop lifting. Some of the co-workers are great to work with and some are not accomplishing their daily assignments.
Dollar General
Sales associate (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: easy work
Cons: short hours
My day at Dollar General was stocking freight all over the store. Hardest part of the job was the small spaces to work in. The aisles were very small. Management was easy to talk to . Hardest part of job was finding a place in the back room to put overstock.
Ok job with low pay and good enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), VidaliaFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: 15 minute break every 2 hours
Cons: long nights
this job had a pretty friendly and energetic environment it just didn't pay enough. It was also hard to have a social life and work.
Dollar General was one of the friendliest places I've worked.
Third key manager (Former Employee), Arab, ALFebruary 27, 2015
It was nice getting to know the customers as regulars because of the size of the store. It was never to hard to help any one customer.
working at DG
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: the changing of planograms within the seasons..
Cons: job/work life
The job/life balance is hard to accomplish with the many things happening within the management responsibilities of the day. The interaction with the customers is awesome especially when the items they are looking for is in the store. The co workers if trained correctly are nice to work with, especially when they come in and go right to what should be done without being told. There is no typical day at Dollar General because there was always something to do from changing of sale prices to working a planogram...I actually working at Dollar General because of the interaction of the customers with workers and maintaining the different activities of the company.
Great
Order Filler (Former Employee), Ardmore, OKFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: advancement via raises, available overtime, benefits
Cons: early mornings, overtime
A very paced environment. My first working in a company that had production goals and I quickly learned the ways to get the job done both quickly and safely
Small store with little business
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chickasha, OKFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: regular, scheduled breaks
Cons: few hours, low pay
Responsibilities include stocking products, working the cash register, and basic cleaning duties. Sales associates will learn valuable conflict resolution and cash handling skills. Management, at least in small towns, can be a bit unprofessional, but is always friendly and eager to help. Co-workers are generally kind, though often too personal. Stocking days are, quite frankly, the best part of the job. There is something calming about learning the layout of the store and the repetition involved in placing products where they belong. The worst part is the hours; mainly, that so few are available. In smaller stores, management may only need two or three employees on the floor on most days. As a result, part-time employees are often scheduled for no more than fifteen hours per week, while full-time employees are working the maximum number of hours allowed. In other words, employees are either under-worked or overworked, with no happy medium to be found.
Fast-pace and enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Skidmore, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Some amounts of time can be very busy, and might slow down for a while. Even during slow-pace, there is always something to do. Involves co-workers to work well with each other and communicate well. Excellent customer service is a must, as well as great communication skills. Management is mostly caught up with tasks. Hardest part of the job is getting many tasks done. with short staff. Most enjoyable part is meeting new customers and building positive relationship with them.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more