Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 10,259 reviews matching the search
dollar general
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCApril 28, 2017
typical day at work same statement
what I learn same statement
management good experience
work place nice company
the hardest leaving
enjoying customers smiles
Stereotypical Retail Chain
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, GAApril 28, 2017
I learned much about low level retail; how to run a cash register, stocking shelves, assisting customers, and even basic janitorial duties.
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the customers and helping them find a good deal that would be unavailable elsewhere.
The most difficult part was the lack of control I felt due to stringent company policies hindering what we could and could not do to assist customers with a quicker shopping experience.
The work was much of what you'd assume from any retail chain. As many minimum wage jobs stuffed into one as they could. Nowhere near the hours to do all the work requested or required.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not enough hours to do the work required.
Time filling
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brady, TXApril 28, 2017
I loved that I stayed super busy. The people were nice. On typically fday I worked evneings. When we went busy at the regesters we were busy restocking shelves. I loved my experience with dollar general.
Pros
Worked with my schedule
Cons
Short breaks. Un halthy break room.
Good place to work. I never had a problem. Worked for the company for three years.
Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fulton, KYApril 28, 2017
Good place to work . Enjoyed going to work ever day. The customer were great. The people were good. They were all younger then me we got along good. I did not like that we did not have men working with us to do the lifting. That would have be a little easy on me.
Pros
Worked morning hours
Cons
Short breaks
ok work place
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 27, 2017
A typical work day at the dollar general was overall a good day for me.I learned how to deal with people a lot better,you have your bad days when you deal with a lot of theft that was also that hardest part of the job
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
Hours and healthcare
Company sicks
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, OHApril 27, 2017
This again is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Again overworked and under paid and under appreciated. The harder I worked the worse I was treated.
Great!
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCApril 27, 2017
Great place to work for. Employees are great and so are the customers. You are always busy no matter what. great pay and hours. I would recommend for sure!
Pros
So many great thing
Cons
The district manager was bad
bad company to work for
Full time Assistant Manager/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INApril 27, 2017
they have a horrible pay rate with minimal chances for a raise, and when you do get a raise its also very minimal. they expect one person to be able to do the work of three people and are very backwards about certain things. also a lot of favoritism and inappropriatenesns throughout the entire company.
Pros
hour lunches.(:
Cons
low pay.
good job
Assistant Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  Wofford Heights, CAApril 27, 2017
good job, with all retail jobs comes store level drama and favoritism, but if you manage to avoid that and move up its a great place to work. Do your best and you will be rewarded.
Pros
room for advancement.
Cons
bad time allocation to assigned duties.
Somewhat discouraging environment with little chance of advancing within the company past store level.
Store Manager Candidate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Blue Mountain, MSApril 27, 2017
The company exercises poor business judgement. In seeking to be a low cost operator, they have cut in the wrong areas, making the job a very unhealthy situation on many of its managers and hourly workers. To increase one's profit and success, you must also increase the payroll and manpower needed to keep up.

Want to know more about Dollar General?

Ask a question
Job security is low
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Gas City, INApril 27, 2017
Can work as a temp with felony's but not full time. It seems redundant to work extremely hard for a short period of time. There is a lack of unity an team work in the shipping department. There are many things that could be improved if it wasn't a numbers driven department
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not knowing when I'll get off and breaks being set on production rate times not actual times
over like work with people
Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 27, 2017
i liked dollar general alot i just wanted to grow with dollar general.but i got to grow with walmart a fast growing store.i love working with people all the time.
great workplace
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAApril 27, 2017
i loved that i moved positions very quickly. basically started as a night manger the work was light besides freight which you had to unload all weekend long.
Poor Management
Assistant manager/ Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INApril 27, 2017
The manager drilled tasks hard core into us each day. Some days pushing past our max. Since leaving , that store has gone down hill, It no longer contains a core value.
was a okay job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAApril 27, 2017
At the beginning it was a great job. But as time went on and things have changed a million times it became a difficult job. I did enjoy the work I did
nice facility
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mayodan, NCApril 27, 2017
Dollar general was a very nice facility and company to work for. They are wonderful trainers and great people to work with. unfortunately it just wasn't for me.
Productive and a good work environment
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 26, 2017
Dollar General is a friendly workplace. There is room for growth and other opportunities. There are also good incentives and other benefits as well. The environment is nice.
hmmm
Part Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Disputanta, VAApril 26, 2017
Typical day at work would be doing totes or doing plan-o-grams. I learned how to work well with others. The management was great at the beginning until i requested a transfer and didnt get it. So then i got terminated for no reason. The hardest part of the job would be trying to locate all the items to the right spot once the truck is delivered. And the most enjoyable would be having flexible hours to spend time with family.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Pingpong
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAApril 26, 2017
Low rate of the place less pay for the casher period no job security when closing at not . but other then that its nice to meet new people and help them with things they need to but from the store and maybe put a smile on some people face
Pros
Meeting new peopke
Cons
Low pay
production
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLApril 26, 2017
Overall management sucks. They talk and treat you any kind of way. The only thing good about this company is the pay and benefits you receive after 90 days
Pros
money
Cons
managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8