Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 9,150 reviews matching the search
very hectic
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Point, VAJanuary 19, 2017
it was a very annoying place to work I diddnt like the long drawn out hours and mpr did I like the way we were treated I liked the weekly pay I learned how to deal with other people ,different attitudes and I enjoyed being around others as well as being in a leadership position.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
not enough pay for the work you do
I enjoyed working at dollar general very friendly environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2017
I just focus on the task at hand stay busy I enjoyed working there very friendly environment easy I wouldn't mind going back .I left because they wanted me to relocate other than that it was a awesome job
I was a Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ALJanuary 19, 2017
This is a terrible company to work for they do not take care of their employees. They've taken away bonuses and do not pay you enough.
Stressful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 19, 2017
This job take a different kind of person!!. Hard on your body can really bring your morale down. Hard to keep staffed.
It's a lot of work to do for anyone.
I worked a lot by myself, because of call off,s
Pros
Not much to say
Cons
Stressful
It was decent job but only a stepping stone.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAJanuary 19, 2017
Working for dollar general was a good experience. It was kind of a culture shock working retail at first simply because i was coming out of the military but now im looking for a job that best fits my skills.
Pros
Meeting different people with different personalities
Cons
None to my knowledge.
Treats its greatest asset(people) like trash.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 19, 2017
5 years ago this was a fun company to work for. You could exercise merchandising skills and use your creativity. Now the model is what I would call "extremely low cost operator." Payroll budgets are extremely thin, and enforced by men that see the store only in terms of reports. Lots of alone time in the store even in inner city locations, because the company doesn't care about employee safety.
90% of the work put on the salaried manager, who is only paid about 34-38k annually. A complete joke. And you can forget about having a home life.
The only positives were the district manager was a very understanding professional, and gaining experience as a store manager.
Pros
Professional supervisor, experience gained
Cons
Extremely low budget with unrealistic expectations, wage is laughable, no work-life balance
Decent
Offered position as Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  McFarland, WIJanuary 19, 2017
Minimum wage for a store the size of a large appartment, or bottom floor of a house. Duties involve stocking, cleaning, and managing the register.
Pros
Break room for lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Need to pay better
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJanuary 19, 2017
This company is way better than Wal Mart, K Mart ect. They just need to pay their people better. If they get deeper into the grocery business they need to make sure they hire people with expertise to guide that side of the business to success.
Pros
Really good company
Cons
pay the people better
Already posted a review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Konawa, OKJanuary 19, 2017
It was a good job. Was offered full time. Management was great and I learned basic retail skills hands on. People that came in were friendly. Breaks were reasonable and lunch was a great way to take a break as well.
Pros
social
Cons
PT, little pay.
depends on your dm
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cabot, ARJanuary 18, 2017
the district manager will make or break you. mine was terrible. he was no help for anything. absolutely an aweful person
Good Experience
Full- time Lead Sales Associate/Key Carrier (Current Employee) –  Clinton, LAJanuary 18, 2017
Dollar general was a unique experience. It have its good moments and bad. If you are dedicated enough, it broadened different job opportunities. It can be fun experience, if you like your co-workers.
Pros
l hour lunch break, can get promoted
Cons
healthcare
Not very fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Butler, MOJanuary 18, 2017
I did not care for this job all that much mostly because the General Manager I had at the time of me being hired was very sexist. She only hired females and when and if she hired a male she would blame anything that went wrong on them.
Pros
Half price items
Cons
Minimum wage
productive and fun work place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Higden, AR 72067January 18, 2017
i love working for all these places because it gave me the experience in customer service and billing. the job help me connect with my coworkers and customer.
Pros
learning customer service
Cons
not very good family job
Good starting pay, descent benefits, long hours, tough work
General Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Fulton, MOJanuary 18, 2017
The hours are long and the work is strenuous, but the starting pay is great for the area. There's plenty of opportunities for advancement if you put in the time. The worst part of the job is the lack of communication between supervisors, and that there is no accountability for not doing your job correctly.
Pros
consistent hours, decent pay
Cons
low weekly family time, physically demanding
Productive and friendly workplace. Always something to keep busy. Coworkers make the workplace a fun environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fostoria, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Friendly staff and customers. Typical day includes handling money, Setting displays, throwing freight, checking in venders and keeping customers happy. There's always something to keep you busy working at dollar general.
Customers are good, upper management don't care about the little guy
Cashier and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2017
Hours each week vary for sales associates and that makes planning for bills tough ! Different manager needed. Need more hours for every store.
Pros
Helping customers.
Cons
Low hours for cashiers
poor
assiant manger (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNJanuary 18, 2017
This company does not train you well and does not treat you fair, if you miss for having bronchitis or some other severe cold with Dr.Notes they will fire you over missing three days, there mangers are sorry and are not trained well. I have done alot of retail but this is the worse i have been treated.
Pros
Cons
training, treating employee's
good first time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2017
good first time job
not for me
not enough hours
didn't like location I was at
tried to move had to wait 6 months
I wouldn't reapply
co workers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NCJanuary 18, 2017
Dollar general gave me the opportunity to grow as a manager and to develop my leadership skills. The benefits are good for employees and there is some room for growth but upper management sometimes does not treat all managers the same.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Shady management, but easy advancement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 18, 2017
For minimum wage, the job is pretty easy. This is a job for someone who is looking for a second part time gig or just a little extra money on the side.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8