Dollar General Employee Reviews

Productive and relaxed place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 17, 2017
there is always something to do.
I have learned that hard work pays off
Being a manager is a very important role
Trying to make sure that you don't make employees your friend is the hardest
Getting to know people is the most enjoyable thing
Pros
good employees
To much to deal with and. It enough money
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Flowood, MSOctober 17, 2017
I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for DG; unless you have a great team to work with. You do. It get any discounts for anything and no paid holidays unless you are full time.
Very intense and demanding
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNOctober 17, 2017
For a summer job, it was quite stressful. I had to deal with rather rude customers, which is to be expected at times, but often times, rude co-workers as well. The store dealt with frequent overstock, having a truckload coming every week,even though it was not needed. Corporate had to send someone down to the store and practically tell everyone was doing an awful job, and speak to the workers as if they were still children. Management was very relaxed, but to a degrading point. If one person called out, either me or another coworker would be the first one called to do the shift, every single time.
Pros
Awesome coworkers at times.
Cons
Mediocre pay for the work with no benefits.
Nice company to work for.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodward, OKOctober 17, 2017
My typical work day was fast pass. My store manager was very professional, taught me all requirements needed to make my job run smoothly. Their really wasn't anything hard about my job.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDOctober 17, 2017
At first this job was good. As time went on I started not to see any growth in myself or in any management. I didnt have no support at all with the supervisor that I had. I took the blame for everything. Overall the most enjoyable part was the customers. I got a bond with alot of customers. I will miss them.
Pros
cooperated with your schedule
Cons
unorganized
Communication
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 17, 2017
A typical day for me with the company was, communication skills. I believe its all about good communication and understanding with your co workers. and they didn't have that. you had the Mng. telling you one thing and the supervisor telling you another.
Pros
No Discounts
Hours
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 17, 2017
Way too many hours worked, sometimes 7 hours as only person in a store with no breaks. The benefits package was the worst I have ever seen. There is a tremendous amount of internal theft that is not handled.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no support, poor benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 17, 2017
Dollar General taught me how to manage money. Taught me how to read Sku Numbers. It also taught me how to clean stores and balance and deposit money. I loved working for them.
Easy work, but poor management and underpaid.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barnesville, OHOctober 17, 2017
The work load is easy everyday, but can be very stressful because the managers expect you to cash everyone out on your own. Even if the line is wrapped around the store the general manager won't help you. She's very rude. Also there's never more than one cashier working at a time so you run back and forth from stocking shelves and cashing out customers. It's hard to keep an eye on the register when you're aisles away from it. Overall the work they except you to do on your own is worth more than $8.15:hr. In my opinion we do more than the managers because all they do is stock the shelves and set end caps.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No lunch. no break. Scheduled less hours than promised
It is a job...
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Marks, MSOctober 17, 2017
I liked all of the other employees; however, the store that I worked at had a terrible theft problem. Also, the previous employees were so backed up that we had to call in other employees from other stores to come help us restock and recover our store completely. I did not intend to leave because I really needed a job but circumstances caused me to have to leave suddenly. The manager was sweet as can be and she enjoyed her job. She wanted to see everything through but at the time I left after 4 months of being there, we still were no where near being done. The tasks we had should have been done within a month.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Poor Management
Lead Sales Associate (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 16, 2017
Rude and Unprofessional manager i.e. Face Piercings and Tongue Rings

Showed favoritism

Place was filled with bugs and expired food on shelves.

Unsafe work environment
Very good work place.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Camden, AROctober 16, 2017
Learn how to run a store as if it was my own.
Learn how to deal with public..
Enjoy decorating store during holidays
Hardest part is getting ready for inventory
Company is full of back stabbing and under cutting
Manager / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Buffalo, MIOctober 16, 2017
The corporation itself does not value lower level employees or the contributions they provide to greet it's customers and handle day to day operations. The delivery and ordering of dollar general product is as cheap and as thoughtless as a company can get. The company has cut holiday time off to being non existent.
Fun
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXOctober 16, 2017
Lots of freight every week barley staff. Great company just need more dependable staff. Mgr was fair good place just need more and place will good place to work.
productive work place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NJOctober 16, 2017
cash handling multitasking
some duties also include delgating other tasks for the day
setting ads to cleaning and recovering the building
shrink prevention
the most enjoyable part of the job is the customers.
A Day at Dollar General
Dollar General Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXOctober 16, 2017
A typical day work includes a set list of tasks such as cleaning and stocking divided as the manager sees fit. This list is normally weighted down on one person in the later shifts to do the cleaning, stocking, and/or recovery. The other worker normally at the register waiting to take care of customers or doing so. The cashier then has the right to call the second worker for help if he feels its needed.
Pros
Breaks, lunches, ability to buy things on shift
Cons
Low pay, low hours, uneven schedule tasks
Hard to keep happy
LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 16, 2017
Dollar general is hard to keep happy unless you are a clean freak and can keep it 100 percent clean.They wrote me up every time i turned around for missing one aisle or the smallest of things.
stressfull and unfulfilling
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gautier, MSOctober 16, 2017
Dollar General expects a handful of people to work on a limited number of hours and get a large list of things completed. Which if everybody was trained and familiar with everything it would be ok but workers are constantly changing and the few people that know the job are not able to do everything. What is not done by the workers falls on the managers. DG does not care how many hours a manager puts in as long as the store is where it needs to be.
No hours given to employees
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNOctober 16, 2017
Working at Dollar General wasn't all bad. There were some fun times as long as you have a good staff. The upper management was the problem. They will assign tons of work to do around the stores, especially during holiday seasons, but then cut back on the hours allotted to bring people in to help get things done.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Barely an hours given
good place to work for young people
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 16, 2017
Hard on body. Lot of heavy lifting. Customers are friendly. Hours vary from day to day. May work days one day and then nights the next. Not enough help and management work alone in stores for periods of time during the day (not nights) because they don't allow enough hours for the stores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8