Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 8,201 reviews matching the search
Not to bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCSeptember 28, 2016
It was a good Job, definitely for someone who can work independently. Could have been more challenging. Loved my store manager and assistant manager.
Team oriented work place breaking our knuckles to get the job done!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 28, 2016
I am a fast learning hard working mother of 4, trying to provide for the most important people in my life, my family! I also work good in a team, and work best solo. I enjoy the felling at the end of my day of accomplishment and self worth. I have wonderful organizational skills and love to teach others to find easier and faster ways to get the job done on time and done right!! I am willing to do whatever it takes to succeed in what i do best and that is everything!!
Pros
hard working team mates
Cons
not enough pay
The job was okay.I was concerned about safety issues
Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 28, 2016
Overall I rate this job a 3 concerned about safety with only2 people being in the store at all times unless it was truck day.
Pros
well established
Cons
safety
Dollar General
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLSeptember 28, 2016
I actually really liked my job here. I just wish they didn't have such strict policies like if your short or over two dollars you can get in trouble. That is a really crazy low number like that could easily happen.
Pros
laid back
Cons
policies
Great Place to work
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PASeptember 28, 2016
It's an amazing place to work! That's all! It has great customer service, and is a very clean and well organized place. I liked it, and would go back again.
Ok place to work
Store manger (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 27, 2016
Good company better than family Dollar. Has a since of diraction on which way the company is going. Does not pay the same. But company has plenty of opportunity
Good job to get experience, but awful for a career.
SUPERVISOR/ACTING ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCSeptember 27, 2016
Dollar Genera keeps its extremely low prices by paying their salaried manager a decent amount, but after the amount of hours worked, it is ever worth it. All the managers in my district worked 60-70 hours a week, just to keep the store afloat since they were all salaried. All other employees got no more than 24 hours and the assistants only 30.
Great Place To Work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLSeptember 27, 2016
Pulling orders using headset an industrial jack. I learned how to keep a fast work pace and accomplish daily production goals.The management an team worked as a family. Hardest part was keeping a fast pace towards end of the day best part was finishing up an goin home in a timely matter.
Enjoyed It
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Twin Lakes, WISeptember 27, 2016
Loved my co-workers. At the time, everyone worked together to get their jobs done. They were sweet and understanding. Not judgmental.
Felt great to work with them.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 27, 2016
Good co-workers but the company itself is horrible don't get to many hours only 2 people a shift but expect to do the work of 4 people. They do not train their employees well. If you have any issues on a register they automatically accuse you of wrong doing and the management is horrible they do not care how the store looks and won't give you the hours to properly recover it and the pay sucks.
It was okay.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXSeptember 27, 2016
It was okay. The shifts were long, customers rude, and the coworkers crazy. But it paid the bills and helped prepare me for my future in ways. I only worked there for two months.
Poor company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 27, 2016
They were OK to work for.I do suggest that they do more to make their employees feel that they are apart of the picture there is little room for growth from within
Okay for high schoolers or part time work...
ASSITANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  East Bend, NCSeptember 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at Dollar General and working with my co-workers, they were some of the best. However, my rating is not based on the store I worked but due to the upper management. I had only been working there a short time and due to the upper management assigning our manager to other stores and helping them we were left to cover everything without the proper knowledge to due it all. I ended up having to work at another store for a few nights and the deposit came up $100 short, it was not stolen, hey looked everywhere, viewed cameras, etc., and they could not even find out what happened to this money. I was the one to be honest and tell them about it, and yet was let go because of it due to it being from my till. Never been wrote up, done everything they asked of me, showed up early to work, and stayed later if needed, even worked doubles...this showed me they care more about making a dollar than the integrity and hard work of their employers.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Pay, higher ups.
a great workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moultrie, GASeptember 27, 2016
Dollar General is a great workplace for teens DAT jus got out of school with hardly no bills ..But as an adult its pretty rough because your barely getting hours.
Pros
nice customers
Cons
short breaks, no health insurance
Overall terrible company
Sales Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 27, 2016
Working for Dollar General has not been a very pleasant experience. The overall responsibilities that are given to an understaffed store seems overwhelming for most. From cleaning the parking lot, stocking every cooler throughout the store and so on. However, the biggest issue would be management. The management is unorganized. Due to scheduling, it is impossible to keep plans as the management leaves whenever they please often calling in people early, only to cut those hours later in the week due to unforeseen circumstances. Overall, Dollar General should not be a career choice.
Pros
Customers
Cons
No benefits, management, understaffed, scheduling
Good company with a chance to advance
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2016
Dollar General was a good company that offered a decent pay rate, and a chance to advance after a few months. The most enjoyable part was the people that shopped there. I felt that i was in their lives sometime when I would help them find what they needed and they left the store happy.
I enjoyed the work and fast paced environment.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALSeptember 26, 2016
Dollar General is a nice place to work as long as you are full time or still in school/have a second job. The amount of work required does NOT match the pay. There are never enough hours to go around so i was lucky to get 25 a week.
Pros
Meeting new customers and getting to know regular ones.
Cons
My particular store had several employees who were related causing unnessassary drama.
Positive workplace enjoy meeting new faces
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXSeptember 26, 2016
The staff are every helpful working at a face rate They assist the customers in the best way possible they direct you and help you find whatever your looking for in little time
Managerial systems dont work.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thomaston, GASeptember 26, 2016
The management often screws up and blames it on the staff. Make sure you have your own checklist because they will blame everything on the cashiers and/or keyholders. This happened at multiple stores ... so i think it's a problem with management and procedures.
Pros
Opportunities to advance are abundant.
Cons
Managers only have the weekend off and this was at four different stores.
no title
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, NCSeptember 26, 2016
Great place to work at, enjoy working with and meeting new people inside and outside of the company. Management and workers are all very nice to be around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8