Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 12,126 reviews matching the search
Bad customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Payne, ALAugust 16, 2017
I had really bad back problems. They weren't flexible with my school hours. Had trouble taking off for appointments. The pay was pretty good. GM wasnt very nice.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Bad co workers
great place
Cashier and Stock Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAAugust 15, 2017
Its a fun place to work. Great environment and employees are friendly. Our management team is great love to help out co workers when needed and have a passion to thrive.
It was okay
Night keyholder (Current Employee) –  Moriarty, NMAugust 15, 2017
They expect way too much to be done for one person. They need more then two people up their at all times. Not just one person .need to work as a team.
Fun work enviroment
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSAugust 15, 2017
This job was very convenient for me. It was right by my house, and all the employees and managers were nice. They worked very well with my schedule as well.
Its a fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clarinda, IAAugust 15, 2017
Its a nice and fun job especially for college kids when you don't need to many hours and you get to meet different people to work with and you become a team
Pros
Not many hours
Cons
Its a good place to work
Its an ok work place
Dollar General Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati ohAugust 15, 2017
I liked working as a cashier just speak to everyone and keep a smile on yo face enjoy the company of your coworkers everyone is there to help each other
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bardwell, KYAugust 15, 2017
the hours are very inconsistent, the pay will always stay min wage even though the work detail will increase. the system is set up so the dollar general company doesnt have to pay for benefits( meaning you will stay a part time employee)
Pros
easy to get hired
Cons
employment with the dollar general company
Laid back and the coworkers were friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Proctorville, OHAugust 15, 2017
A usual day at work would consist of stocking shelves while also running the register. The management was understanding when it came to when I needed days off because of school or a family event. The most difficult part of the job was learning how to use the register but after I got the hang of it, I had no trouble at all.
Pros
staying busy made time go by faster
Cons
Trying to manage work and school
Great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 15, 2017
It is a great place to work the first week of training might be a little hard but as soon as you get used to workflow and your coworkers you should be ok you learn organization and time management the workplace culture is what you want it to be. The most enjoyable part of my job was exchanging information with my customers on how to save an extra cent on items.
Pros
Money
Cons
Not that much money
Very nice, fun, productive work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tollesboro, KYAugust 15, 2017
Dollar general was a great place to work at. Great crew, great management! Clean store. Wonderful customers! Loved working in that kind of environment.
Pros
Nice work environment
It was ok
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSAugust 15, 2017
loved working there really nice people loved helping people find what they needed. but the stocking is crazy too much to do and you have to work around people.
Amazing well balanced job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lawn, SCAugust 15, 2017
This job has been the best job to further my knowledge with the public. The communication skills are amazing within this place of business. I enjoy working with the managers and the staff.
Life of working at dollar General
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 15, 2017
Dollar General is not a good place to work at due to the fact of the company ask for to much wiyh no hours and little pay. The company expects you to do doubleshift if somebody calls out.
Dollar General Rocks!
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHAugust 15, 2017
I enjoyed working for Dollar General. I loved my co-workers and customers alike. Didn't really have any problems with anyone. I only disliked one assistant manager and that was because she was rude and cold with customers and co-workers. I just wish there were more opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Constantly changing environment.
Cons
Not much opportunities for advancement
Not fun!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 15, 2017
One of the most stressful places that I have ever worked in my entire life! I would never recommend to a friend or relative to apply for a job with this company.
unorganized, terrible management, low pay
stocker (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 15, 2017
place was a mess to work at.
i was told to just stock whatever was in the back without any organization whatsoever.
management was lazy and almost non existent
Calm and organized work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nashville, GAAugust 15, 2017
Dollar General is a very calm and organized work environment, and my coworkers are very kind and helpful. I have no problem learning new tasks, because the management is very professional.
A friendly atmosphere that can get hectic at times.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Due West, SCAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at work would entail setting up displays, stocking shelves, maintaining a clean work area, and check out the customers with a smile. A great day would include a balanced customer flow and maintaining stocked shelves. The hardest part of the job would be the lifting and the most enjoyable part would be to have assisted the customers to their satisfaction and done with a smile.
Pros
flexible hours
Management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hiseville, KYAugust 15, 2017
They were horrible to comply with you. They asked what days you could work and so you told them and they proceeded to give you exactly what you COULDN'T do. and then when you said something they agreed to work with you. only to schedule you the complete opposite again. Sometimes you had to call in to check your schedule because they wouldn't have it out in a timely manner. overall this dollar general was a horrible place to work and if you have kids its even worse since you need a baby sitter and don't have a reliable schedule.
Assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Hall, VAAugust 15, 2017
Greeting customers, cashier skills. I typically treated my customers like my family. I knew them personally. I was like a breath of fresh air to my customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8