Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 8,214 reviews matching the search
A rough management, and very low wages with little to no raises.
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saranac, MIFebruary 21, 2016
The management is a more "do as I say, not as I do" style, where she is extremely lazy and makes everyone else work twice as hard. She was threatened by good, hard workers, and most of the nicer co-workers were pushed to leave or on the rare occasion fired. I did make my first real friend in a co-worker however, and until he was pushed out he really made it a bearable environment. But considering out of all 8 members of our team, I was 1 of 2 people who actually really took care of the store and tried to be kind and considerate to the customer base. I learned very little, except to run a basic cash register, and where all of the merchandise was (which changed all the time without any notice).
Pros
Appreciative customers, great co-worker.
Cons
Awful management, terrible pay, tightly rationed hours, and very little incentive to work hard.
Horrible Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INFebruary 26, 2016
Easy to advance here. Why? The turnover rate is about 99%, even for management.

The company pays nothing for employees and they underpay management.

Expect to work 60-75 hours a week. Expect the DM and RM to demand the store ran correctly while very shorthanded. I worked a store that was supposed to have 11 employees. We never had more than 4. Yet, were expected to meet the same goals.

Raises? Vacation time? In your dreams.
Pros
They don't murder your parents
Cons
Long hours, no help
My review for Dollar General was good, I lasted to years on the job. The benefits weren't great because of my part-time status.
Customer Service/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMarch 2, 2016
I worked for Dollar General for 3 years. I would say that the job security was ok, but I was a part-time employee. The benefits were limited because of my part-time status. I enjoyed working for Dollar General. I enjoyed most of all, was the customers. The management was poor, lack of communication.
Pros
The nice customers that Dollar General had
Cons
poor communication between managers and co-workers, too much conflict
what it takes being a cashier
Cashier/ Sales Accociate (Current Employee) –  Remington, INMarch 23, 2016
As a cashier, you deal with people one on one. You solve problems, complete requests, clarify issues and work with other employees. As a result, your communication and social skills develop. Later, you can put those improved skills to work in a new job or for personal projects.Cashiers often have to handle more than one task simultaneously. For instance, they might complete a transaction or check inventory on the computer while answering the store phone. The ability to multitask translates to greater efficiency in virtually any job you might take in the future, as well as in your personal life. In the business world, this ability and the resultant efficiency sometimes means promotions or pay raises.
Rapidly Growing Company with Opportunity for Advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MEMarch 17, 2016
I was hired as a part time sales lead and within seven months I was the assistant store manager. There is a VERY high turnover rate, particularly with management. I had three store managers in the year I was there. This is NOT a retail position for someone who wants to make a few easy bucks standing at a register all day. Payroll is very limited weekly and thus hours will be given to the employees who prove their worth. Multitasking is a requirement, and oftentimes you will get more hours than originally negotiated. I had probably three months of working 50+ hours weekly while understaffed and I had all of my part timers at about 30. Over all, fun, dynamic place to work for those who are willing to put in the effort.
Pros
Advancement opportunity, Easy to transfer locations
Cons
High management turnover, Small employee pool to cover callouts
Can be very stressful
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCMarch 10, 2016
The pay is not necessarily good, especially for as busy as you stay. If management likes you you can move up because they cannot keep help in the stores. Being understaffed means management misses a lot of breaks and lunches. You do meet a lot of great co-workers since this company is always hiring. Part timers can be taken advantage of. They will give them full time hours but keep them part time so they do not get benefits. You can learn a lot because you have different experiences everyday with customers. The hardest part of the job is trying to get all of your tasks done in time. Usually only two people run the store at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting many new co-workers.
Pros
Meeting a lot of new people
Cons
Not getting breaks, low pay
Dollar General is a Decent Starter Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellville, TXApril 5, 2016
I have learned a lot of things working for Dollar General. My experience in Customer service is great asset to any career I choose. I believe the things I've learned will benefit me forever. I have really enjoyed meeting all the different people such as Vendors, co-workers, higher level management, and especially the customers. I also enjoyed faster pace and ability to multitask. I feel that I have learned a lot about responsibility and problem solving skills. These skills will benefit me for the rest of my life.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Healthcare
Not a great place to work
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hayes, VAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day of work required many tasks. I learned to multitask and handle customers along with customer complaints well. I learned how to stock and stock efficiently. I improved some of their record keeping. The management and co-workers above me treated this store as if we were in high school. My manager was not very professional by any means. If you upset her personally, somehow, she took away hours. The hardest part of the job was dealing with such an unstable boss. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing customers return and being satisfied with my service.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Management. Working alone. No benefits.
Great people, but never enough staff to complete all projects
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaver Springs, PAMarch 16, 2016
The job itself is highly fulfilling, and allows an employee to develop excellent customer service skills. The only problem is that many of the general public are very rude, and have limited understanding when it comes to being short-staffed, having aisles filled with items to stock, and the fact that employees and managers have little to no say in what product is delivered from the distribution center.

My store has an EXCELLENT manager. She puts so much of her time and effort into making sure the store is the best it can be, and hiring and promoting the most deserving employees. I was only there two months before earning a management position and higher pay. However, there are never enough hours to fully staff the store, and turn around is very high, so many projects go incomplete.

The only major negative to the job is the constant shift changes. Sometimes I close the store and don't get home until almost 11 at night, and have to return by 5am that next morning to stock shelves. There is little to no room for work and life balance, as the schedule is never the same. No one works all days or all nights.
Pros
Excellent work environment, friendly and trustworthy co-workers, variety of skill sets developed
Cons
Little to no work/life balance, limited benefits
Not a very good place to work
cashier (Former Employee) –  MississippiJanuary 17, 2016
Boss had favorites, when went to with a problem about another co-worker, management just brushed it off. Got wrote up for doing my job, for working an extra shift when they needed it. Working there was like being in middle school. A lot of gossip. Employees bringing their personal life to work which puts extra work on the other employees. Would not recomand working for dollar general . I worked two locations. A lot of work for just $7.25 an hour. Oh and you can kiss your raises goodbye. I left because I had to chose between my job or my kids.
Overall district leadership
Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHFebruary 29, 2016
This company is beyond a joke!

I was told by the hiring dm who was a interim dm at the time who I was hired by and never met till 10 days after being hired that benefits started on day one.
Wrong - they don't start till 90 days after.

I work 2 weeks into training and as I get into my store - I was advised by my dm that I had to work 5.5-6 Days as it's part of the store manager role. I was never advised of this.

The dm who manages or so called over sees this district is a joke and needs to fired based off the way he treats his selected few store managers.

I would never and I mean never tell my dog to work there and or for him!
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
DISTRICT MANAGER OF AREA 317
Lack of support in stores
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Prairieville, LAMarch 29, 2016
Lack of training new managers, not enough budgeted hours for the work load. No support help from upper management to get solutions for arising problems. Security is not provided for stores robbed multiple times.
Pros
Advancement opportunity
Cons
Compensation, Staffing
must have patience
Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 28, 2016
not the best manager job i have ever had. region that i was in I was expected to work 70+ hours a week, every week. typical day was stocking, resets, plan o grams, ringing customers, and always hearing never ending complaints from customers, yet what they failed to understand was corporate cutting hours from the stores to build new stores 5 miles down the road. low payroll hours just meant longer hours for managers, and the pay was not worth working all those hours, no balance of work and family, and the turn over rate is crazy high. Upper management talks a great game, but actions was not so great. Good place to just have on resume that you managed a $2 million store. But would not make a career out of it. (unless I wanted a divorce) You will learn great customer service skills with this company. But must have patience a lot of it if you expect more payroll hours to give employees. But if you need any job to get some retail experience or just some money to tide you over, this would be the place, weekly paychecks is always a plus
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
to many hours expected from management
Productive Friendly Enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  764 Gallaher Rd.February 1, 2016
Dollar General is a great place to for a first job. It as a productive and a friendly work place. everyone works together as team. you arrive at your scheduled time and clock-in. From there the manager will brief you on the duties you are to complete throughout the day. As a cashier you work the register, stock, recover, and help customers with any needs they may have. If you are closing you are to clean and recover making sure everything is up to par with your manager and the store owners standards. Management is amazing and they are very understanding. Any of the co-workers you work with are friendly and easy to establish a professional relationship with. Every employ helps out all of the other employees. Hardest part of the job is trying to watch your register when restocking on truck days. The easiest part is making a good, professional impression on the customers.
Pros
Flexiblity in scheduling work hours
Cons
not many benefits
It's a great place to work, everyone is really friendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owego, NYJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day at work goes quickly. It depends on if we get shipment or not. If we get shipment I work on stocking shelves along with running the cash register. I learned a lot about customer service and how to handle money better. The management is the best I've seen because my manager is flexible with my schooling hours and my softball schedule. The co-workers always have a smile on their face and are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is getting to know the store and figure out where everything goes. I enjoy being able to greet the customers and help them when they need help.
Pros
Flexible with hours, friendly
Cons
no benefits, not a lot of hours
Relaxed atmosphere. Awesome management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, KYNovember 12, 2015
I loved this job and I would still be there had I not moved out of state. This was a great job opportunity that I had. Balancing being a single parent and the long hours was a little difficult but I managed. The security was there and advancement opportunity was really good. I could have definitely moved up in the company had I stayed in the state. I loved working for my boss, she was a great person. My favorite part of this job was everything working with customers being able to help people if they needed my help. About the only thing I didn't like very well was the long hours I put in when it was inventory time but I still like it very much.
Pros
Flexable schedual, great benifits, and a awesome boss.
Cons
unscheduadled breaks
Not bad for a first job but that is all
\cashier (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAJanuary 24, 2016
This was my first "real" job. There is typically only you and a manager there. The customers are not that great, they yell at you for problems with their EBT cards and what not. Management doesn't really care about your problems. The chairs in our break room were plastic cartons. I told the manager I saw a cockroach while sweeping and she said I should expect that, its the dollar store. Pay was minimum, no benefits or discounts. High turn over because it is not a good place to work...at all. I told the manager my check was too low because I worked 30 hours and paid for 15. She said I didn't show up a few days. I had never not come into work and I told her to check the cameras, she said no.
Cons
All of it.
Fair workplace but little room for growth/ advancement
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAFebruary 1, 2016
I am able to say that I enjoyed working for Dollar General on the weekends, and my store manager never gave me any trouble in reference to my school schedule. My gratitude for being able to completed three degrees while being employed at DG is immeasurable.
Over time I found that Dollar General was not challenging. Working under subpar management led to little help from co-workers, and burn out of quality employees. In fact, I respectfully and continuously refused promotion from my store manager and various district managers, because I felt management lacked support from corporate to make necessary changes in personnel and policy to make our store top in sales, and maintaining employment gratification.
This review is my humble opinion, and I still do not regret working for DG. I learned a lot about myself, acquired invaluable first hand knowledge about dealing with the public, and a few "tricks of the trade".
Pros
getting to know my favorite customers
Cons
no discount, felt under-appreciated
management is racest and sexest
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Basehor, KSApril 6, 2016
modern day slave labor I was working 80 hour weeks with no compensation or days off management will step over anyone to get ahead they are sexist raciest lazy ignorant and don't care about your own personal well being I did not like working for a company which hires a new boss every three months for unforeseen reasons watch out!
Cons
no outside life
Fun Workplace but we still get our jobs done
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roxboro, NCFebruary 19, 2016
I have learned a lot about Customer Service and interacting with the customers.... Management is great they made sure that I am trained before they put me on the floor by myself.... My co workers are amazing they make the job fun and more enjoyable. The hardest part is having to try to make a dissatisfied customer happy and the best part of the job is when you see a customer smile and or say that you made their day.....
Pros
The benefits 401k, Health Insurance
Cons
Limited hours for the store

2.8