Dollar General
4,334 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

Not what i thought it would be
Cashier (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALJanuary 29, 2015
The management was Terrible, they didnt have us with set schedules, so it was kind of difficult.
fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Converse, LAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: the lunch breaks
Cons: short breaks
This job is a good job for a younger person or for a person at retirement age. I learned a lot about myself and the people that I worked with. The hardest part of my job here was being on my feet all day. The most enjoyable part of my day was when a customer told jokes at the register.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lesage, WVJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: close to many lunch places
Cons: short breaks and no fifteen minute breaks
This was a fun workplace for a starting job. The place was friendly and nice and clean but lacked proficient advancement opportunities for me. I sacrificed much of my personal time for the company with little compensation on the important things in my life i.e. doctors appointments. Overall this is a good company to work for if you don't have much else going on in your lie.
productive company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Reeves, LAJanuary 29, 2015
a typical day at work was slow paced but productive.

i learned that if you do your job right and get things done, it will help you in the long run.

management was great.

co-workers were easily to get along with and we helped each other when needed.

the most enjoyable part of the job was greeting the customers and seeing a smile on their faces when they found what they needed and knowing they had a good shopping experience and great day.
great customer
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), 147th sibleyJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great customer
Cons: not enough employee
i enjoy working with my employee we had friendly customer love putting up weekly ads and display and changing aisle for different holiday season
A place where you will not be employed for long
3rd Key Supervisor (Former Employee), GeorgiaJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: ability to be promoted
Cons: too many to name
Had to deal with shoplifting issues. Management and LP always made threats to staff about internal theft. The DM I worked under was not culturally sensitive. Pay was minimal. The turnover rate is very high. Do not count on staying there for long.
Busy Love my co-workers and my customers
lead sales associate (Current Employee), Conway, SCJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: works hard and team work
Cons: not enough hours
very demanding job always a challenge I learned different ways of completing assignments enjoy direction from managers assignments are always explain in details I enjoy seeing the expression on customers face when they get sales pricing fast pace I love it
Store Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: fast paced with different challenges
Cons: employment turnaround
As a store manager there wasn't anything in the store that I didn't do. I worked my way up from being a part time sales associate to becoming a store manager in about 7 months so there was room for growth it was just left up to the individual.
Fun, productive work place with an emphasis on the family atmosphere.
Store Planning Designer (Former Employee), Goodlettsville, TNJanuary 28, 2015
Everyday was enjoyable. Did not experience any micro-management. Was trained on the job and left to manage my own time. Everyone was friendly and the environment was the least stressful I have ever experienced. Dollar General Corporate Office is a shining example of how a family oriented company should be ran.
Dollar General
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee), Alvarado TXJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: lovley customers
Cons: health care, unfair treatment due to being a lesbian, short breaks
Well I loved the customers. WE had no manager there and so the assistant got all the work of a manager but was not alowed to make changes to the store like we really needed. the other key holder slacked so much that everytime i came in i had to do the work of two people and still maintain a smile on my face. The General Manager was not GAY-Friendly and treated me and another lesbian there unfairly and was extra hard on us. over all it was a good first job but the people could have been better.
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Cape Canaveral, FLJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: customers
Cons: bad management and lots of drama
Scheduling non consistent, no training, cash drawers were counted by other employees,
Fun place to work
LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Lauderdale, MSJanuary 28, 2015
I never dreaded going into work, I advanced to a key holder within 3 weeks of being employed . Co-workers and customers made my work day go by so quickly. All in all, it was a great place to work.
A productive retail enviornment
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJanuary 27, 2015
A work day at Dollar General for me consisted of stocking product, customer care, and cashier while keeping a neat and orderly work environment.
GREAT
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: paid every week
I LOVE THE ATMOSPHERE ITS WAS RELAXING I LOVED MY COWORKERS AND GUEST WHO CAME IN THERE DAILY OVERALL GREAT PLACE TO WORK LIKED GETTING PAID EVERY WEEK AND HAVING SET SHIFTS

THE ONLY THING I RAISED AN EYEBROW ON WAS EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS ON THINGS IN THE STORE OTHER THAN HOLIDAY OTHER THAN THATGREAT
Fun Place to Work
Interim Store Manager- Duties (Former Employee), Willisburg, KYJanuary 27, 2015
My favorite part about the Dollar General was the customers. Every day you could have an adventure with new customers. I also advanced quickly at Dollar General with starting out as a cashier and working my way up to the Interim Store Manager.
unorganized management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Sand Springs, OKJanuary 27, 2015
Cons: little to no lunch
Management is terrible. Little to no lunch when working with assistant manager because she cannot be left alone with the money at the store. Poor set up overall. Store manager expects you to work full time when you're only a part time employee and going to school.
promised promotions and never follow through
Store manager (Former Employee), Scottsville, VAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: customers, hard working employees
Cons: getting fed that the harder you work you get promoted quicker, i believed in that for 4years
5am trucks unload 1600 pieces. Then put on a smile for the customers, take care of them while trying to process a truck withing 48 hours which is truly 16 hours because thats all you are allowed to stock. The rest of time has to be spent on recovery. If your location is doing well you get pulled to go to another store that is not doing well and endure their issues. Hardest part of the job was the 5am trucks no matter how cold it is you had to be there unloading, customers were the most enjoyable.
Do Not Work Here
Sales Associate (Former Employee), NorthportJanuary 26, 2015
Dollar General is not the best place to work trust me. I would work 40 hours a week and would only get paid for 20. I would get a 15 minute lunch break and always worked open to close.
Dollar General Great Company
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Alderson, WVJanuary 26, 2015
I loved my job working for Dollar General. I really enjoyed going to work everyday to do my job and see the customers. I did many things in a day, stock, clean, cash register. I can't complain about anything. The management was great and so was the other co workers!
fun work enviroment
Key holder (Former Employee), Panama city, FlJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: good sportsmenship
Cons: not long enough breaks
I liked working for Dollar General , the customer's were friendly, hardly ever any negative people came into the store. The employees that I worked with were all team players! The best part of working there was whenever we would have a rush and it didn't matter how many customers it was more like a challenge to me! My bosses were always playing with us to make us feel like family but when they needed to be serious ...they were!

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more