Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 12,860 reviews matching the search
Moved
Stocking/unloading trucks (Former Employee) –  Alma, GASeptember 20, 2017
The hardest part was unloading trucks"and dealing with rude customers.And not having enough help when other employees don't want to do there job the right way!
Pros
Take launch when I want to!
Cons
Short breaks
Laid-back simple and easy work. Might get stressful during rush hours.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 20, 2017
Working here is easy and simple. The location i work is laid-back. I have had a few stressful occurances but they where quickly dealt with by a manager if needed.
The hardest part of the job is not yelling at unruly customers that obviously have beef with you for no reason.
The most enjoyable part is actually stocking. While stocking, time flies by and before I know it, it is time for me to clock out.
Pros
laid-back, simple and easy.
Cons
as a part-timer I don't get benefits. minimum-wage, but understandable because I am entry-level and this is my first job.
Fast paced, great training program
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALSeptember 20, 2017
Great company to work for. Training program is great. You are able to move up in the company easily. Work environment is awesome with the right store team.
Pros
As a manager: developmwnt of store team
Cons
Hours, turnover
Too many trying to be the boss
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gleason, TNSeptember 20, 2017
This was a stressful place to work with everyone trying to tell you the "correct way" to do things. The actual manager was rarely ever there when I worked there. You are expected to put away trucks and be able to keep your customers happy. You are required to take your breaks at certain times even if the other cashier is busy.
upper management , staffing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Jonestown, PASeptember 20, 2017
hard work for little pay and benefits. management did not care or about the store and the daily running.
lots of heavy lifting, stores are very warm in the summer and cold in the winter. never have enough staff working to do the truck and help customers
Pros
Cons
no benefits, working conditions poor, heavy lifting for females and older employees
Quick turnover
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TNSeptember 20, 2017
Had 3 different managers in the two years I was there. Expectations were extreme compared to the time allowed to complete assignments. Management had to forgo breaks and lunches.
Dollar General is a prison
Lead FT (Current Employee) –  ConfidentialSeptember 20, 2017
Management is awful, absolutely no communication or accountability. The hardest part of the job is lack of days off, they rarely give you two days off and when it happens they fully expect you'll be fresh for the next few weeks to come and don't even acknowledge you have a life outside work, I learned it's not a company worth investing your time in cause they will take full advantage of you till you cant take it anymore.
Pros
Pto
Cons
everything
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MI 48152September 20, 2017
its always work very busy the truck hard a typical day at work is punching the clock in taking care of customers the customers who makes the day go by.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
short of staff
A company that you can advance with quickly
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNSeptember 20, 2017
Dollar General was a good company to work for. I worked for them for almost 19yrs and enjoyed my role in helping the company grow. It was only my last year that I started to hate going to work. In my 19yrs with the company I went thru many management changes and never had any issues with any of them until my last supervisor. Who came in wanting me gone and never hid the fact that she was out for my job. In all my years I never had been given a write up or a verbal. I was the most dedicated employee anyone would want. She made my job unbearable. So I decided that a change was needed. And left the company.
Pros
Chance for advancement. pay
Cons
loyaltiy to veteran workers
Proud employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lakemore, OHSeptember 20, 2017
I love working at Dollar General, the staff is always friendly. The customers are always great. The atmosphere and environment is always welcoming. The only problem I have is inconsistent hours every week I need something that is set in stone so to speak
Pros
Everything i need is right there
Cons
Shoplifters

Want to know more about Dollar General?

Ask a question
This is one of the worse lobs I've ever had.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Crosby, TXSeptember 20, 2017
There the cash register, now run it. There was no break room, ice box or microwave. On break you can go visit the store next door. There resatrooms were nicer or sit on the bench outside.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
The store is cluttered
good job place
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INSeptember 20, 2017
I enjoyed working at the Dollar General. It was a busy day keeping up with stocking and cashier work. We learned where all the products belonged and how to keep the store looking neat and clean.
Loved working there
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Eugene, MOSeptember 20, 2017
I loved working at this location, great manager, relaxed environment. The pay is low and not many hours, not benefits unless you are the store manager.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
manager when o started was great easy to work with the new one that took over was horrible and didnt understand my training
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 20, 2017
When I was hired it was part time and every other weekend I started as a cashier then became key holder first manger was great one that took over did not understand my schedule or training
Pros
meet new people
Cons
long shifts
I absolutely love my supervisors...this was a very hard decision.
3rd Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Chaffee, MOSeptember 20, 2017
Job is great...fast paced so that is good for me...mutitasking which again that works for me. I did not want to leave Dollar general I am just having financial hardships right now that caused my decision.
Pros
Hours worked for me...
Cons
Not having enough hours to work...
I am a store manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Granbury, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Store Managers are salary and you work way to many hours and do not get paid for what uou have to do . There are times you do not get days off and you pull many open to close shifts. You do not get ovet time.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Hours work, not fixing issues.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCSeptember 19, 2017
Ran cash register stocked shelf's. Helped customers with things off the top shelf. Cleaned the store took out the trash. Took racks off sidewalks and anything else that we had out there
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Short bteaks
great job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2017
friendly environment great team members clean environment. I have had to chance to learn more about products best sellers and I have gained experience in stocking recovery cashiering and customer service as well
Manager is wonderful to work for and with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richfield, NC 28137September 19, 2017
Dollar General is a revolving door for employees and when they get a dedicated worker it is not appreciated. Minimum wage is paid even with an experienced worker. Raises are only twenty five cents each year for cashiers and key holders. No matter how much experience you have there are no opportunities to move up. Managers are not allowed to have enough hours to do all the necessary work that is required. Managers do not have the capacity to schedule workers more hours to get stores perfect for consumers. District managers and their superiors make all the decisions for each store without explanations as to why hours are cut. Managers are criticized constantly and rarely are given compliments for the hard work they do.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Upper management restricts local managers, they do not allow them to make decisions for their stores.
stressful place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Belle Glade, FLSeptember 19, 2017
Have too many duties and not much of pay. Customers doesn't care what they do with the store and doesn't care about the employees. Mean people, and when trying to reduce shrink by calling the police, it is never a success

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8