Dollar General
4,808 reviews

Dollar General United States Employee Reviews

Great Environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Joelton, TNMay 5, 2015
The only issues with this job was I had a lot of co workers that did not perform their task completely and led to a lot of work place drama. I felt it was best to leave. I enjoyed the ability to get experience as a cashier to help advance me to other job opportunities.
Dollar general
o Cashier (Former Employee), Flint miMay 5, 2015
A typical day at worked dealt with any kind of customer, they were either nice and respectable or straight rude and snobs. I learned that dealing withe general public on a daily basis is hard and you really have to have the patience and temper control to be able to do so. Management they were cool people established friendships with all of their workers. Their work ethics were horrible all they did was basically smoke the whole shift. Some co-workers were enjoyable. The best part of this job to me was pay day.
It's a paycheck
Manager (Former Employee), Butler/ BadenMay 5, 2015
Although I have been told this company was at one time great, it is failing a lot of good employees. It was sad to leave, due to liking my staff and the initial job.
Job security is a plus with this company due to lack of applicants.
In this, it leads to a very unbalanced daily job/ work ethic.
Fast & fun paced environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Burlington NCMay 5, 2015
A typical day involved a myriad of managerial duties. I enjoy the fast pace and contiuous workflow. I always strived to be the best support the store manager had. A source to lean on and depend on in any situation.
Cashier (Former Employee), Lexington, OhioMay 5, 2015
Manager was great, very caring. Fun place to work. Liked meeting all the people as I worked the register. If I wouldn't have been going to school for another career field, I would've stayed longer.
budget hours not enough, positivity decrease with more work load and not enough people to assist.
Store Manager (Former Employee), James Island, SCMay 5, 2015
Pros: opportunity to make more money with bonuses and also advances to another level
Cons: short breaks, not enough budget hours, and not enough people to accomplish any task without working a double shift.
sometime productive when there was enough people to run the shift there was never enough budget hours to work and get thing done sometime you would have to work along for hours before another associate comes in which was hard to get anything accomplished, however i would have to do double shift to get it done.
Hardest part
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Marion, ALMay 5, 2015
Over all I use to love working here. My boss was mean and didn't like working with others school time. While working there my boss wanted me to come in and work and miss school!
great learning experinace
Store Manager (Former Employee), mamou laMay 5, 2015
Pros: paid weekly great learning experiance
Cons: long hours with little time for family
Normal day would be spent working the registers and stocking
talking to people in your store you learn a lot about what is expected and needed for you costumers.hardest part of the job is the amount of time spent and the store
Unfriendly Coworkers,
Cashier (Former Employee), Kingman, KSMay 5, 2015
Pros: Long Lunch breaks
Cons: Co-workers, Environment
Scan some items, count back change, constantly berated by other cashiers, Going to work everyday was the hardest part, Leaving was most enjoyable, Co-workers poked fun at those on food stamps.
Fast pace and little help.
Lead (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVMay 4, 2015
Pros: hours with family and plenty of work
Cons: next to no help
Very fast pace employer with very little help as far as co-workers and crew members everyday. I always had fun while I was on the clock with the manager and the customers. I was able to talk to them and get to know them a little bit more then just a simple hi how are you. The hardest part of the job was working with literally just you and the manager that was it. no one else. I think ever store needs more then two people on the clock at all times. Unless you are just opening.
Excellent Company
Front End Sales Representative (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Not here on the west coast
Productive environment, hardworking people who pulled together as a team to get work done. Wonderful product the company had to offer and toke a lot of pride in it's employees getting it out to the public. I learned a lot about grocery retail in this position than ever before being that this chain offered it all to the customer from clothes, meat to saws. The most enjoyable part of this job was it's variety and the hardest was on the rare occasion not having what a customer needed.
poor work place
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Panacea, FLMay 4, 2015
would not recommend working for this company this would have to be the last place I would turn to for a job. Treat you like slaves and do not even pay you to put up with it.
great work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Gastonia, NCMay 4, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeding the smile on the customers face when I did something good and helped them. What I learned while working here was how to be one of the best people in this world. I try my best to help others regardless how I feel
Always worked hard.stocked all of my life.like retail work.
Stocker/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oliver Springs, TNMay 4, 2015
Pros: Keeping the store looking good.
Cons: Leaving work on time...
Stocking shelves ,Rotating Dairy and stocking and putting things in place.that people come in to the store and talk to you being friendly helps sales. to being nice helps ,helping the manager if needed always offer your help .trying to get stock put up in the hours you have to work..greeting people that you know that shops on a regular bases..
Great Company
District Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 4, 2015
Pros: Plenty of advancement
Cons: No work/life balance
If you are able to make DG your life then this is the job for you. The work/life balance does not exist. The workload is unbearable and it grows daily....
Fast speed and productive work place
Fork Lift Driver (Former Employee), Birmingham, AlabamaMay 4, 2015
Pros: Stable shift
Cons: Didn't always have a 8hr shift
A typical day at work consisted of managing my work load with a forklift. I learned how to handle a work load individually and in timely manner. Management was very professional as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have been making sure I reach my production goal daily. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with such professional people and also have such a stable shift.
A nice place for a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bruce, MSMay 3, 2015
It was a good work environment, with supportive work staff.
A nice learning curb for a first job.
The training program was fast and easy to comprehend.
As long as you did your job as required it wasn't that hard.
No work life balance.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 3, 2015
Decent place to work but if you are a store manager you have absolutely no work life balance. You are given not enough hours to schedule workers and are expected to make up for it yourself.
Busy workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pueblo CoMay 2, 2015
Pros: Keeping busy, friendly coworkers
Cons: Mopping
A typical day includes working the register, customer service, stocking shelves, and custodial work. The hardest part of the job was mopping the whole store night after night, especially during winter time with snow and mud. The most enjoyable part of the job was multitasking and keeping busy all throughout the day.
wonderful place to be with customers
Cashier/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lexington, VAMay 2, 2015
Pros: wonderfuul place to work if you are a hard worker
Cons: I don't feel like they value their employees, and the pay is very low
MY typical day was very nice when everyone showed up. I enjoyed the work as a team. I enjoyed management. I learned how to run a store by myself on many occasions, receive a truck, unload U-boats for the driver, check in vendors, and wait on customers all at the same time! I learned to work a lot out by experience and I walked away with a better outlook on business period.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more

Dollar General Salaries