Dollar General
5,157 reviews

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Dull and messy
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Greensboro, GAJuly 6, 2015
Cons: Horrible hours, bad environment
The hours were extremely lacking, the environment was filthy, and co-workers were lazy. I found myself constantly trying to clean the place while others would laze about or chat with the customers.
I would not recommend
May 2015 Store Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Pay may be worth it if you can establish a work/life balance
Cons: DM'S may not be willing to help and may not vouch for you if they feel their job is on the line.
I would not recommend Dollar General because even though they promote work/life balance it is not always a way to do that especially if the District Manager is not willing to help. It is also an unfair environment when it comes to HR and issues within the store HR will not investigate your best interests only the interests of the District Manager or Regional Manager
They had too many employees to allow anyone to have many hours
Associate (Former Employee), McAlester, OKJuly 5, 2015
Pros: co-workers were nice
Cons: too few hours
I only worked for $General for a very short time. Typically I was only scheduled for 8-10 hours per week. Fellow associates were very nice, I just couldn't live on so few hours.
Upbeat
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hamilton, OHJuly 3, 2015
Keeps me on my toes, I feel like I am always learning something new. The management at my store is excellent, they always perform their duties to the best of their ability and help their employees with anything they may have questions about.
Great coworkers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Homestead, FLJuly 3, 2015
I had great coworkers, all very helpful. They answered any questions I had, and when I was presented with something I didn't know how to do, they showed me step by step how to do it.
Consitent work & learning store work system.
3rd key shift manager (Former Employee), Tyler, TXJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Getting management experience.
Cons: The pay rate for the management position was low.
Getting some great discount store sales & customer service experience. As well as opening/closing the store, stocking on day to day basis, while learning the protocols of a 3rd key shift manager. Other co-workers were willing to keep me informed on things I needed to learn. The hardest part of the job was keeping the store products well organized along with keeping lost prevention under control.
Good entry-level customer service job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bel Air, MD (Churchville)July 3, 2015
Pros: Guaranteed breaks, Nice Co-Workers and Management
Cons: Paid minimum wage
The hardest part about this job was dealing with the occasional abusive customer, but that's with any customer service job. The best part about this job is actually making a customer smile (which is difficult to accomplish when you're obviously a liberal-looking person in a conservative area like Bel Air).
A great job to get me through school. Great customer and leadership experience.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Minooka, ILJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Wonderful place to work.
Cons: Not paid enough to live off of.
Dollar General gave me a wonderful opportunity to gain customer service skills. I also gained management experience. Dollar General is very fair in that every employee is required to stock, run register, and recover the store. We all work as a team. I really enjoyed working for this company but now that I am done with school I want to create a career for myself.
Not very professional.
Cashier (Former Employee), London, KYJuly 3, 2015
Pros: If you don't work hard they don't care.
Cons: If you are a hard worker then they will use you then cut your hours
Managers are only interested in their bonuses and could care less about their employees. When upper management tells the store manager to cut employees hours this happens almost immediately.
Cashiers have nothing to say to keep the few hours they had before the cuts and no cashier is hired full time. If a cashier has ethics they work hardest and are the least rewarded (cut hours is payment for hard work).
Decent Job
Cashier/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Baldwinsville, NYJuly 3, 2015
Pros: friendly co workers
Cons: hated when the scanner would stop working and couldn't order product for the store.
8hour shift. Enjoyed interacting with co-workers. Had plenty of exercise when unloading trucks and stocking shelves on delivery day. All the vendors were courteous and friendly never had any altercations with them. Hardest part of the job was unloading the delivery truck with only two people makes the process slower. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and my coworkers.
Busy
Multiple Positions (Former Employee), Oakland, TNJuly 3, 2015
Many positions and task to do, liked because it helps pass the time by fast. Loved my manager I had at that time. Truck duty was hard.
i loved my job there
cashier (Former Employee), moulton alaJuly 2, 2015
Pros: i loved to work for them i looked foward to going in every day to see what that would bring
Cons: there was none
i would clock in count my draw i would clean run register talk to people talk to my boss stay busy i did not waste my time or thiers i gave them a days work i believe thats whats the right thing
Great Place For Management Experience
Management (Current Employee), Spring,TxJuly 2, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
Dollar General great company to get started in retail. Sometimes CEO of companies forget about the small people ( as they call us) who are doing all the grunt work, we get overlooked a lot do not have any say . When you pay cashier/sales associates 7.25 hourly, assistant manager, lead key 8..00 to 10.00 a hour and then pay yourself 10 million and 80 million bonus a year. There is something wrong here with this picture. Dollar General as to much work load for that kind of pay.
Alright Company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Meridian, MSJuly 2, 2015
The company is ok if you are in school and lookign for something part time, but if you have afamily to take of I would not recomend.
love meeting new people
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Commerce, OKJuly 2, 2015
Didnt like working all weekends and nights, but I loved meeting new people every day and seeing my customers smile when they came through my line.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Jackson,MSJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Friendly customer and co-workers
Great environment to work in. You learn how to properly greet customers my co-workers are so helpful and caring towards me and the customers.
Great people to work with and easy to get along.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Spring Valley, MNJuly 2, 2015
Pros: great environment, excelent managment.
Cons: None
as a past DG employee I was giving the benefit of working for a great company that made me feel like I was at home...everyone I ever worked with on any shift was helpful and fun and sometimes witty but it was a great experience. I miss working for DG.
this was a very good job.
Cashier (Former Employee), Dundee, FLJuly 2, 2015
This was a very productive place to work. I have really learned alot from this company being that this was my first job. it taught me patience, and hard work.
Work Life.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2015
Dollar General is a great place to work if you are a single woman or man with no children. It is a great place to work but you get little to no home time. I am a store manager at dollar general and I work 6 days a week but the store is busy and so much has to be done with not enough payroll. So I have to work extra hours and longer days to get things done.
A very nice job with good benefits and good crew members.
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee), Rayville, LaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Descent breaks and knowing sales before anybody.
Cons: Short breaks and working register all day.
Working at Dollar General is a exciting, fun, and very productive. Since I've worked for this company I've learned that having a positive attitude and good customer service skills makes you and the customers have a great day. Also working with friendly coworkers helps the day go by nice and smooth. The hardest part of this job is dealing with rude customers. But all you have to do is be yourself and stay in character. So the most enjoyable part is helping customers and making sure shopping is easier for everybody.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more

Dollar General Salaries