Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 8,170 reviews matching the search
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grant, MISeptember 23, 2016
Lots of hours, without sufficient breaks. Poor management communication. Hard to get time off. Work expectations not clarified well. Poor customer service, and experience
great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCSeptember 23, 2016
Awesome, it was a new store. Everything was organized and in its place. The customers usually were regulars. I loved seeing familiar faces
Pros
customers
Cons
pay
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Elgin, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Long hours, low pay, working off clock the norm..always threating to write us up. telling us we will be fired. Working by yourself all day.
Pros
customers are fun to be around
Cons
no balance
its an ok job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clio, SCSeptember 23, 2016
I liked this job. but the customers will get mad at you for something that you are not in charge of like price change and etc... you wont get a lot of hours that's why most workers branched off to find another job. you will get very aggravated and want to say some mean things but you have to be polite smile and keep working.
Pros
always had drinks and snacks in break room
Cons
coworkers, and manager talked about eachother
Dollar General
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCSeptember 23, 2016
This company has been going strong for many years. In my time with this company they opened two new stores in the small town that I was in. Dollar General continues to grow, despite the big box competition.

My days were pretty structured, as we were following a metric to get the work done in an efficient and timely manner.
Decent company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARSeptember 23, 2016
Dollar General is a decent company, however they could take a more active role in their stores to ensure they are being run properly. Also, improvements need to be made in how the store handles trucks and the size of their stock rooms.
consistent and steady work flow
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKSeptember 23, 2016
the employees I worked with were easy to be around, we were all friends.

working here was a little hectic for me when the store manager up and quit. I had to juggle how to figure out what the manager does that I didn't. Trying to get my back pay for being assistant manager was a headache.

and when I asked for a transfer, they transferred me about an hour away from my current location.
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Market, ALSeptember 23, 2016
This is a great first job for anyone. This was my first job and I loved it a lot. Customers and staff were friendly and since this was my local small town Dollar General, I already knew many of the customers on a first name basis. The pay rate is pretty low and there are rarely enough hours for every employee on the payroll to go around. Aside from that, this is a great company.
Pros
Friendly, Laid back environment
Cons
Few opportunities for advancement, low hourly pay, and limited hours per week.
This job was okay for a second job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 23, 2016
When I first started working here, I actually liked it. After some time being there, I felt displaced. Not because of the team, but because I felt that there was more out there for me.
Overall it was an okay experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Webster, OHSeptember 22, 2016
I personally lived working at dollar general itself, it was the other employess and the people above me that made the experience rather horrid. They were understanding that i had a small child, but i made up for it.
Pros
Social interaction, smoke breaks
Cons
Low pay, not much advancement
mneh
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Juliette, GASeptember 22, 2016
It was okay, it paid. Sadly, though, many coworkers often came in under the influence of narcotics. The manager was actually aware of this but, because it was her favorite employee, did nothing to solve it.
Pros
It was close to my home location
Cons
Rude, bad coworkers
not always productive
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, VASeptember 22, 2016
There was always drama and rumors spread. Some of the employees were very messy. There wasn't any work getting done with smoke breaks every 30 minutes.
Wonderful work enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service.hard worker. (Former Employee) –  1420 South Mcdonald StreetSeptember 22, 2016
This job was the best job Ive ever,ever had.The thing that made it so was the staff,our staff.We were more like a family & we were all close.Laughing & having fun while we were working.If I could go back to that particular time in my life.I'd be so happy.Unfortunately we've all went our seperate ways.
Pros
Family enviroment.awesome staff(coworkers), good hours etc.
Cons
gettn up early in the AM when truck arrived, cash registers were very exposed.
Never work here again
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, INSeptember 22, 2016
If you make your manager mad everyone will be mad at you as well. I worked at two stores I got wrote up because I called in because my dad had a heartache. It was a very petty store. If you and the manager got into it the assistant manager wanted to act Petty and not talk to nobody. To much drama.
Pros
Walk alot so mught lose some weight
Cons
Never get a day off
Will not spend payroll necessary to operate a customer friendly environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 22, 2016
Stores are continually cluttered and disorganized. Managers are overworked. Not enough staff to keep up a store. They think 80% of shrink comes from employee theft, and dedicate no time to apprehending shoplifters
Learning expeeince
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 22, 2016
I loved dg. When I was working there I learnt so much. Became a better people's person. It taught me patience, how to respect other people. I've learnt alot working there the pay wasn't good but it was worth it.
Fast pace work place
Assisting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brewerton, NYSeptember 22, 2016
setting daily planners. Interviewing and hiring new employees. Daily and monthly reports reducing shrink and shrink awareness. traveled to multiple stores register and cash handling inventory training and implementing policy scheduling.
steady
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Green Cove Springs, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Not a bad job if your looking for very steady and consistent work thats not too complicated. The people are nice and friendly depending on location and you can expect dollar general to not close while your working there only get better.
Pros
Steady and raises
Cons
Same thing almost every day
Enjoy the public and the people I worked for.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Loramie, OHSeptember 21, 2016
I loved working for dollar General! I am a people person and enjoy helping the public.I liked going in waiting on customers and stocking shelves. my co-workers were great and I got along with them. I feel I wMy manager was well liked and would work with you. I was starting chemo and radiation when I quit, but she was very understanding.ent above and beyond to satisfy my customers and co-workers.There was no really hard part of the job just had to be on your toes stocking and waiting on customers.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
insurance
I really liked working for dollar general.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCSeptember 21, 2016
I really liked working for dollar general, there was plenty of room for advancement. There wasn't really anything too hard about the job, i defiantly learned a lot working for them and i would defiantly do it again.

2.8