Dollar General Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,793 reviews matching the search
Production Driven
Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Bessmer, AlJuly 27, 2016
It is a nice place to work. The compensation is good, great job security. This is a warehouse position. The hardest part of the job is maintaining 100% production daily.
Dollar gen corp
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ray City, GAJuly 27, 2016
I believe my termination was unfair and I brought it up with HR they did nothing to help. My boss was fired right after I was. My manager wouldn't work she'd hang out outside with customers or friends until after closing and id have to do her clean up detail
Pros
Fair breaks
Cons
not enough audits
Not a fun place to work at
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Perry, GAJuly 27, 2016
They tend to overwork you for little to nothing pay and expect you to be enthusiastic to work here for them.
Enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHJuly 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at Dollar General. The people I worked with were extremely helpful and kind. It was a good way to start out learning how to work with the public.
Great COmpany
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Alvin, TXJuly 27, 2016
Great company, could use more pay for the amount work required.I had great work experience and expanded my customers service skills.
Productive and fun work place.
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Colfax, WIJuly 26, 2016
Management is nice and fun. Work isn't hard to do as long as you don't mind lifting boxes. Breaks depend on how long you work. I love working for this company.
Pros
breaks.
Cons
no set schedule
I had a bad Manager which made the job bad
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vevay, INJuly 26, 2016
It wasnt a good expierence and the pay at that time was only $4.50 an hour. The Manager would call me in at all hours and had me working all her hours so she could just hang out and do nothing. The DM we had gave you impossible tasks and was more like a drill sargent on booze.
Pros
It was somewhat of a paycheck
Cons
The DM needed to go when the Manager went
Biased backwards company.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Longtown, OKJuly 26, 2016
Typical day at work would be running the cash register, putting away the supply truck, and pulling merchandise forward for better access. I learned how to efficiently ring up merchandise getting customers their service in a timely manner. My co workers were manipulative and created unnecessary situations. The hardest part of the job was trying to progress in the job but being refused equal treatment.
key holder fo 2 years, responsible for the up keep of the store while oh shift resposible in filling in when call out
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJuly 26, 2016
manager's position. learned in Microsoft ware / I also became the training mangers for new opening store in the area. I established business relationship and networked with many people and vendors. I was always reliable and on time
Pros
working with the public
Cons
we were always short handed
Great service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, LAJuly 26, 2016
Working here was fun. There is a lot of interaction with the customers. A typical day at work involves stocking, unloading trucks, recovering, cashiering, and cleaning. This job was very enjoyable, and the staff was amazing.
productive & fun work place. wonderful people
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNJuly 26, 2016
a typical day at work for dollar general would be ringing up customers, bagging them. helping them if they needed the help. i learned new stocking techniques. management was very well staffed. there wasn't really anything hard to do. the most enjoyable part of the day was helping customers.
Pros
caring people well staffed
Cons
breaks should have been longer there.
not enough support
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJuly 25, 2016
Dollar General was sheep in wolves clothing. They say everything you want to hear to get you in the door and then it hits you. Not enough hours in the day for all they require of you.
Unpredictable, sometimes hostile workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, AL 36108July 25, 2016
As a lead sales associate, I've dealt with customers, and their needs.
I was taught how to count down drawer and do deposits, as well as set planograms. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing smiles on the customers faces. The most difficult part was closing the store, them coming in hours later for the morning shift.
Not much fun
Asst store manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington nmJuly 25, 2016
There is no respect for how much you learn or how much you know.you can have more exp. Then the store manager and you don't get the job they come from somewhere else with no dollar general exp.
Pros
If you have time they might give you a lunch break
Cons
No short breaks
Dollar General expects way to much from their employees
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 25, 2016
Basically you would count tills, take deposit, open store and immediately start on truck. All I ever done was truck, or back stock. I went through several managers and about 40% of them were decent. My co-workers weren't bad. They hardest part about working at Dollar General was you never felt like what you accomplished that day was enough. They over stocked the stores to where you couldn't barely move in the back rooms. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job was that I lived right down the street and walked to work.
Pros
I lived down the street and could walk to work
Cons
The pay sucked, and I always felt unappreciated.
I would not go back to work for them
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Doyline, LAJuly 25, 2016
Manager was very ugly to her employees. But nice to her ones she favored . I liked the job when I started but manager said I was not fast enough cut me off the schedule and when I did go back after a week, was told I only had four hours for the whole week, then changed it to two. Or I could just turn my things in and leave.I was not impressed at all at 5he dollar general I worked at here I'm Doyline. Like I said my manager was very ugly to me most of the time, said my attitude was ok but too slow for everything she expected of me. When I did ask for help I just got critsized for my efferts. A typical day of work could sometimes be frustrating. Overall I liked the job and wanted to b keep it but manager 2ss so cruel. Taking care of 5he customer wss good, as far as the work environment, very stressful. I learned I enjoy meeting people and helping them.
Pros
Cons
Sometimes only one break in an eight hour period
meh work environment
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Iowa Falls, IAJuly 25, 2016
Often stressful work environment where the workers were left in a busy store by themselves, lines of over 10 people often happened. Because of being left alone, you never got a break unless it was your lunch break. Management didnt know company policies so they made them up as they went to suit their needs (repeatedly told employees there were no paid breaks ect). Management even came up with a rule you must get 3 containers put away per hour even if you were the only person in the store and it was busy with customers.
Pros
decent pay for small towns
Cons
poor management, no breaks, overworked, understaffed
Its not to bad
Sales associate, Key holder, Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 25, 2016
The Dollar General I work for was a great store. we recently went under new management and that is when things started to go downhill. mostly the management its just unorganized.
First Job
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NCJuly 25, 2016
This was my very first job and I ended up staying there fro almost three years. Management could've been better but overall it was a great started job for a college student.
Great and Fun place to shope
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kermit, WVJuly 25, 2016
The job was challenging and very fun. The store team was wonderful and hardworking to be with. I always felt accomplished while at work at Dollar General and knowing that customers had a good experience while shopping with us.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
short staffed and not enough hours to split with employees

2.8