Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 11,317 reviews matching the search
great opportunities
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, NYJune 26, 2017
This was my very first job, straight out of high school. I was hired as a cashier but was promoted to supervisor about a month after my employment started. Being the youngest employee and being a supervisor was quite stressful but it was a lot of fun.
Pros
great opportunities
Fast working place with a nice basketball rim & employee appreciation
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MOJune 26, 2017
Loved working here at this company. The pay was good but the distance was far from where I lived & daily assignments were often inconsistent on a weekly basis. Good supervisors & managers
Pros
Employee benefits and extras
Cons
Structure and inconsistency
Great Work Place
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Norman Park, GAJune 26, 2017
Always enjoyed greeting the new customers as well restocking the shelf's ,answering the phones,keeping the stores clean for the District manger I just enjoyed working for there company.
Laid back
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitesboro, TXJune 26, 2017
It was a laid back environment.I got along with everyone I worked around,and my boss was really nice and helped me they alot.she taught me alot too while I was there.it was a friendly place to work.it was an easy laid back job to due
The invironment was ok
Cahsier (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXJune 26, 2017
It was a experience i will never forget that's for sure. Good people and great place to work with. I learned alot and will carry that with me through out teaching others as well.
good place
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 26, 2017
Great work environment, low pay for what all you have to do as a Lead from dealing with customers to employees to truck drivers and any other issues t.
Pros
good work envirorment
Cons
low pay no benefits
Bad Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wallis, TXJune 26, 2017
I don't think my experience necessarily reflects how all the stores are. I worked in a small town where the employees had cliques and were already destined to be rude.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Adams, MAJune 26, 2017
Amazing management, friendly staff and fair amount of distributed work. The tasks were not too difficult to complete and the manager was always willing to help when needed.
Conflict workplace
Lead Sales Associate /Key holder (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 26, 2017
Dollar General isn't a good company towards it's employees. The thing that makes this job decent is your coworkers. I have stayed with the company because I was attending school. They're very flexible with your schedule and days off. However this all really depends on the manager you get! There is opportunity for advancement in this company which is nice. You can become a LSA fairly quickly, then ASM somewhat fast, like first year or year and a half. Becoming a store manager may happen within two to three years, and they earn an fair amount salary wise.
All in all a good place.
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Bethel, PAJune 26, 2017
Very good pay, very good advancement after the initial 90 days. The initial days are the hardest to get past but after that the work flow comes naturally.
Pros
good pay, good management
Cons
easy for tension to arise, high strictnes on tardiness
Short Staffed
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJune 26, 2017
Most the time it was short staffed, safety hazards and risks. Scheduling was all over, closing one night then having to open the next morning, no consistency.
Pros
Paid Vacation after 1 year.
Cons
Limited Hours for most, low pay.
Good
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 26, 2017
Not as much help. Loved stocking it was pretty much easy loved socializing with customers hated when I didn't have as mush help. Had plenty of down time which I hated honestly I loved to stay moving.
Cycle Counter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 26, 2017
You always have something to do and there is not a dull moment.
You have 401 k and good insurance as well, management lets you take time off and gives you over time also.
Dollar General
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, TXJune 26, 2017
I was the assistant Manager for DG,

It's a pretty basic job even for management. Lot's of organizing and lots of inventory shipments that are deadline. Every holiday you have to redo the stores marketing to fit the holiday. It is a team job and if one person slacks then you do fall behind due to the amount of shipment that comes in and the deadlines that are placed.

Great job for someone with little to no experience
Pros
Staff
Cons
inventory, constant bulk shipment every week, work life balance
Horrible pay, no benefits
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairmount, GAJune 26, 2017
You start off minimum wage, have to run the cash register and try to stock shelves at the same time. You don't get any benefits. You do get off at the time your scheduled to get off and the manager does work with you on your schedule. You don't get any discounts
Pros
Good schedules, friendly management
Cons
Poor pay for the work you do, not alot of hours, no benefits
Decent Place to work
Facility Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNJune 26, 2017
Overall, I have had a very positive experience working at Dollar General. Compensation and bonus are below average. Management is pretty good about personal time. The office has some very nice amenities. The work is fast paced and rewarding.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay, Insurance
Some coworkers were fu to work with. Rumors start too easy when they see what you purchase there as a customer.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, KSJune 26, 2017
Lousy pay, no real hours, and no benefits. It was a decent place to work, but you should not be a local to work there. Coworkers willing to give you some of their hours, but not willing to take yours if you need help.
Pros
only lunch break
Cons
no breaks
Fast pace friendly environment
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJune 26, 2017
I worked with friendly people who were easy to talk to and I enjoyed making conversation with and helping customers. The work was really easy and I had little to no questions about it all.
A headache
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Arkadelphia, ARJune 26, 2017
I believe that a lot of the managers see favorites and treat people differently. They are only ok with people when they work hard but one thing messes up they aren't any good anymore. I loved my job because I love retail work but just don't see it fair.
Long hours/low pay
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lampasas, TXJune 25, 2017
As a manager you will put in a lot of hours with little pay. Employee turn around is high; changes required to the store on a weekly basis. Not enough employees and many times left by self in the store (unsafe).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8