Dollar General Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,788 reviews matching the search
what it takes being a cashier
Cashier/ Sales Accociate (Current Employee) –  Remington, INMarch 23, 2016
As a cashier, you deal with people one on one. You solve problems, complete requests, clarify issues and work with other employees. As a result, your communication and social skills develop. Later, you can put those improved skills to work in a new job or for personal projects.Cashiers often have to handle more than one task simultaneously. For instance, they might complete a transaction or check inventory on the computer while answering the store phone. The ability to multitask translates to greater efficiency in virtually any job you might take in the future, as well as in your personal life. In the business world, this ability and the resultant efficiency sometimes means promotions or pay raises.
Can be very stressful
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCMarch 10, 2016
The pay is not necessarily good, especially for as busy as you stay. If management likes you you can move up because they cannot keep help in the stores. Being understaffed means management misses a lot of breaks and lunches. You do meet a lot of great co-workers since this company is always hiring. Part timers can be taken advantage of. They will give them full time hours but keep them part time so they do not get benefits. You can learn a lot because you have different experiences everyday with customers. The hardest part of the job is trying to get all of your tasks done in time. Usually only two people run the store at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting many new co-workers.
Pros
Meeting a lot of new people
Cons
Not getting breaks, low pay
Not a great place to work
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hayes, VAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day of work required many tasks. I learned to multitask and handle customers along with customer complaints well. I learned how to stock and stock efficiently. I improved some of their record keeping. The management and co-workers above me treated this store as if we were in high school. My manager was not very professional by any means. If you upset her personally, somehow, she took away hours. The hardest part of the job was dealing with such an unstable boss. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing customers return and being satisfied with my service.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Management. Working alone. No benefits.
Overall district leadership
Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHFebruary 29, 2016
This company is beyond a joke!

I was told by the hiring dm who was a interim dm at the time who I was hired by and never met till 10 days after being hired that benefits started on day one.
Wrong - they don't start till 90 days after.

I work 2 weeks into training and as I get into my store - I was advised by my dm that I had to work 5.5-6 Days as it's part of the store manager role. I was never advised of this.

The dm who manages or so called over sees this district is a joke and needs to fired based off the way he treats his selected few store managers.

I would never and I mean never tell my dog to work there and or for him!
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
DISTRICT MANAGER OF AREA 317
My review for Dollar General was good, I lasted to years on the job. The benefits weren't great because of my part-time status.
Customer Service/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMarch 2, 2016
I worked for Dollar General for 3 years. I would say that the job security was ok, but I was a part-time employee. The benefits were limited because of my part-time status. I enjoyed working for Dollar General. I enjoyed most of all, was the customers. The management was poor, lack of communication.
Pros
The nice customers that Dollar General had
Cons
poor communication between managers and co-workers, too much conflict
Horrible Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INFebruary 26, 2016
Easy to advance here. Why? The turnover rate is about 99%, even for management.

The company pays nothing for employees and they underpay management.

Expect to work 60-75 hours a week. Expect the DM and RM to demand the store ran correctly while very shorthanded. I worked a store that was supposed to have 11 employees. We never had more than 4. Yet, were expected to meet the same goals.

Raises? Vacation time? In your dreams.
Pros
They don't murder your parents
Cons
Long hours, no help
Productive Friendly Enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  764 Gallaher Rd.February 1, 2016
Dollar General is a great place to for a first job. It as a productive and a friendly work place. everyone works together as team. you arrive at your scheduled time and clock-in. From there the manager will brief you on the duties you are to complete throughout the day. As a cashier you work the register, stock, recover, and help customers with any needs they may have. If you are closing you are to clean and recover making sure everything is up to par with your manager and the store owners standards. Management is amazing and they are very understanding. Any of the co-workers you work with are friendly and easy to establish a professional relationship with. Every employ helps out all of the other employees. Hardest part of the job is trying to watch your register when restocking on truck days. The easiest part is making a good, professional impression on the customers.
Pros
Flexiblity in scheduling work hours
Cons
not many benefits
It's a great place to work, everyone is really friendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owego, NYJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day at work goes quickly. It depends on if we get shipment or not. If we get shipment I work on stocking shelves along with running the cash register. I learned a lot about customer service and how to handle money better. The management is the best I've seen because my manager is flexible with my schooling hours and my softball schedule. The co-workers always have a smile on their face and are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is getting to know the store and figure out where everything goes. I enjoy being able to greet the customers and help them when they need help.
Pros
Flexible with hours, friendly
Cons
no benefits, not a lot of hours
Not bad for a first job but that is all
\cashier (Former Employee) –  Sayre, PAJanuary 24, 2016
This was my first "real" job. There is typically only you and a manager there. The customers are not that great, they yell at you for problems with their EBT cards and what not. Management doesn't really care about your problems. The chairs in our break room were plastic cartons. I told the manager I saw a cockroach while sweeping and she said I should expect that, its the dollar store. Pay was minimum, no benefits or discounts. High turn over because it is not a good place to work...at all. I told the manager my check was too low because I worked 30 hours and paid for 15. She said I didn't show up a few days. I had never not come into work and I told her to check the cameras, she said no.
Cons
All of it.
Fun but demanding workplace.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 15, 2016
My co-workers are usually quiet and to themselves, while doing their work. Everyone is kind of working their rolltainers to meet inventory and productivity goals by the end of the day. I learned how to properly stock merchandise and how to collect inventory from receiving. My manager is firm but fair. I enjoy working this job i just don't receive enough hours to pay the bills. The most enjoyable part of my job is having product knowledge and being able to help customers with their exact needs through this ability.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no benefits
Terrible company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 30, 2016
If you go to work as a store Manager you will trade your life for the job! I was working 7 days a week 12 or more hours a day! You will be alone in the store very often!! By the time you figure the hours verses the salary you are making about $10 an hour!! An Assistant manager only makes $10- $11 an hour.
My last week I was going to be stuck in the store open to close the whole Labor day weekend! Goodbye Dollar General!!!!!!
Oh and by the way, You have to drive 276 miles to Upstate NY for training!!!! Beware! Trust me!!!
Pros
Cons
ALL
Not a very good place to work
cashier (Former Employee) –  MississippiJanuary 17, 2016
Boss had favorites, when went to with a problem about another co-worker, management just brushed it off. Got wrote up for doing my job, for working an extra shift when they needed it. Working there was like being in middle school. A lot of gossip. Employees bringing their personal life to work which puts extra work on the other employees. Would not recomand working for dollar general . I worked two locations. A lot of work for just $7.25 an hour. Oh and you can kiss your raises goodbye. I left because I had to chose between my job or my kids.
Constantly productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Silt, COFebruary 17, 2016
At Dollar General, there is always something to do. Whether you are working on the register keeping a flow of customers going, in the back stocking merchandise, or recovering the store so it looks organized and neat. Working here, I learned how to multi-task and my organizational skills improved. The manager that I had was friendly and appreciative of what I could do, but I felt that all of my hard work was poorly rewarded. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with truck. The most enjoyable part of the job is building relationships with customers and co-workers.
Pros
401 K plan
Cons
Short Break, low salary
Fun Workplace but we still get our jobs done
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roxboro, NCFebruary 19, 2016
I have learned a lot about Customer Service and interacting with the customers.... Management is great they made sure that I am trained before they put me on the floor by myself.... My co workers are amazing they make the job fun and more enjoyable. The hardest part is having to try to make a dissatisfied customer happy and the best part of the job is when you see a customer smile and or say that you made their day.....
Pros
The benefits 401k, Health Insurance
Cons
Limited hours for the store
Great people, but never enough staff to complete all projects
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaver Springs, PAMarch 16, 2016
The job itself is highly fulfilling, and allows an employee to develop excellent customer service skills. The only problem is that many of the general public are very rude, and have limited understanding when it comes to being short-staffed, having aisles filled with items to stock, and the fact that employees and managers have little to no say in what product is delivered from the distribution center.

My store has an EXCELLENT manager. She puts so much of her time and effort into making sure the store is the best it can be, and hiring and promoting the most deserving employees. I was only there two months before earning a management position and higher pay. However, there are never enough hours to fully staff the store, and turn around is very high, so many projects go incomplete.

The only major negative to the job is the constant shift changes. Sometimes I close the store and don't get home until almost 11 at night, and have to return by 5am that next morning to stock shelves. There is little to no room for work and life balance, as the schedule is never the same. No one works all days or all nights.
Pros
Excellent work environment, friendly and trustworthy co-workers, variety of skill sets developed
Cons
Little to no work/life balance, limited benefits
productive and fun work place
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Newell, WVFebruary 21, 2016
It was a nice place to work. Your coworkers tend to be nice and talkative group. They were always willing to work with you. If you need some time off they are more than willing to work with you on the time you need off. They do have benefits. You can learn online what you need to do to work there. You are to stock the shelves and watch the cash register at the same time. If you close you are to sweep and mop the floor. Pull in all the sidewalk sales items that you have to put out in the morning.
Pros
benefits, fun coworkers, great work times
Cons
stocking and cashiering at the same time.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fallston, NCMarch 9, 2016
I loved my job and the people I worked with. The only Con to this job was I was hired as a part time employee, but worked 40 hours a week, which was fine with me i loved getting the hours, but i wish they would have bumped me up to full time if i was going to be working like i was full time so i could get a raise and benefits since i was working the hours like a full time employee!
Cons
part time but worked like full time, so i didnt get benifits
management is racest and sexest
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Basehor, KSApril 6, 2016
modern day slave labor I was working 80 hour weeks with no compensation or days off management will step over anyone to get ahead they are sexist raciest lazy ignorant and don't care about your own personal well being I did not like working for a company which hires a new boss every three months for unforeseen reasons watch out!
Cons
no outside life
Probably my favorite job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCFebruary 15, 2016
Enjoyed being a key holder for this company! However when the store manager runs off for days on end while you're in the middle of a promotion, and the district manager then promotes someone else who has no idea how the company runs makes you want to run for the hills! I would love to work for them again, but the district manager would have to be different.
Pros
great benefits for full time employees
Cons
district manager wasn't the best
I enjoyed my job and built great relationships with my customers
Lead key holder (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJanuary 11, 2016
i enjoyed my job and looked forward to coming to work everyday. But because the store was brand new i feel that management was not where it needed to be. One of the biggest problems there was some managers had a problem with letting their personal feeling get in the way of their managerial duties by not being professional or unbiased.
Pros
very relaxed atmosphere, I loved seeing my regular customers come in and spending time talking with them.
Cons
health care benefits were very exspensive.

2.8