Dollar General

5.5K reviews

Dollar General Employee Reviews

It's OK to help you get on your feet
Sale associate,crew,cashier (Current Employee), NC Winston salemAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Test your patience, relaxed on slow day
Cons: Very low pay, assistant managers don't do enough as they want you to share the load of their work
I enjoy the job on a relaxed day not so busy days& running from cash register to stock to customer and then cash register then putting back what they didn't want gets annoying very fast in all if you like people you may enjoy it my big issue is the pay is low as a crew member your responsibility is to much and assistant managers don't do enough they tended to use lower payed people I wouldn't mind if they paid more
Discouraging work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Blue Mountain, MSAugust 27, 2015
When I began working here, I was babysitting at the same time. I was only scheduled to work 5 hours at a time and they would not give me any day shifts on Saturdays. I asked for them and only got one out of the 3 months I worked there. I was bombarded with a ton of chores to do all in a 5 hour time limit. My last day scheduled to work, I had to call in due to family situations and my boss replied, "We got it!" and hung up! It was a difficult time for me because I am so use to being in a happy, loving environment instead of a harsh, snoody one.
Overworked under paid compsny
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Faithful Customers
Cons: Poor upper management
Disorganized company to work for, inconsistencies with company rules. Lack of education equals poor management. Over worked, under paid. Dishonest upper management. Not all store managers are team players. Increased wages means less hours worked.
Fast paced workplace. Never a dull moment.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Daingerfield, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Patient coworkers. Always willing to lend a hand or explain how to work things.
Cons: Break room cluttered I always had to eat lunch in my car
The store manager was great. Always willing to work with scheduling. ( school or dr appointments ect) The store was clean. Stock was always put out in time. Friendly employees. I hated to see the Manager leave because a death in the family.
Retail
Key Holder (Former Employee), Youngstown, OHAugust 26, 2015
I had to clean, organized everything in the store by color, size, brand, help customers. Counted registers, made deposits, voids, counted safe, and change fund.
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Milford, OHAugust 26, 2015
Pros: I learned a lot about everything you need to keep a store running.
Cons: bad hours and have to work weekends
I learned a lot about retail in the short time I worked at Dollar General. It was my first retail job. Make sure you are physically fit to lift, tug, pull, push, and climb.
Not just work
Manager (Current Employee), Tuppers Plains OHAugust 26, 2015
Being in management in this company, you dont just do one thing all day it gets changed which is nice because it keeps you interested.
Dollar General is nice place to work but their process of hiring could improve.
Shelve stocker/labor (Former Employee), Chino Valley, AZAugust 26, 2015
Pros: enjoyable employees
Cons: not enough workers for set up process
unload merchandise from conveyor belt , unpacked & set on selves,
set selves for opening day.
Worked with management at the project level to ensure expense plans are achieved.
Nice place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Rossville, GAAugust 25, 2015
One could never get ahead with this company. Constantly changing ideas week after week.Keep a staff could be very hard unless the Store Manger had a good relationship with his employees.
Fun place to work very poor compensation
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Griffin, GAAugust 25, 2015
Enjoyed job compensation could have been better for duties expected. Fun fast paced work enivorment with great customers and co workers.Wish pay was better would have stayed longer
Management is suppportive
District Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville, Tn.August 25, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits package
Cons: Need a better work/life balance
Good place to work, especially if want upward mobility, needs to have a better work/life balance. Found the job rewarding and my hard work recognized as a District Manager.
Able to build and develop teams. Expectations for integrity and a high sense of urgency is a must. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see my direct reports grow and develop. Always able to get good ideas and advice from co-workers...a very good team environment.
great people to work with and a great manager
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Arbuckle, CAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: room for advancement, flexible schedule, great management
Cons: cheap company
this store is managed by a very responsible and helpful manager who will work around your schedule. The company teaches you lots of skills and gives room for advancement and career opportunities.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Brooklyn, MIAugust 25, 2015
Many different things you can do all day to keep busy. Management is great, very understanding and willing to work with each employee. Peace among Co-workers. I've learned how to deal with people in fast pace situation. Overall good energy and peaceful workplace.
Great customers
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), North RandellAugust 25, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my experience with Dollar General was the inter action with differ staff and customers. Training of managers should be more organized to minimize turn over potential.
Hectic
Sales Associate (Former Employee), McMinnville, TNAugust 24, 2015
Wasn't properly managed, some employees were treated well while others were treated very poorly. No recognition for doing a good job.
ok job
Store Manager (Former Employee), Piqua, OHAugust 24, 2015
Pros: job, steady check
Cons: 6 day work week. Lack of labor support
Work Life Balance can be an issue with this company. Pay is a bit on the low side. You will likely spend several hours working by yourself on many days.
Nice Clean Organized Work Place
Cashier (Current Employee), Jackson, MSAugust 24, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
I go to work with a positive mind while I smile and greet customers. I've learned how to move quickly and swift getting my job done and helping customers. I have a great manager and the best co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the day is when I complete all task that was ask of me to do. The greatest part of the day is seeing a customer walk out with a smile.
So Far, My Favorite.
Keyholder/ Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Duncanville, TXAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Fun environment
Cons: The hours
I absolutely love this job. I have made a bond with nearly half the daily customers considering we are located in a neighborhood. The only slight down fall is I am in college and the scheduling to my school life can be complicated. I am a lead sales, which includes closing and or opening, being the MOD, and also doing deposits.
great management
Cashier (Former Employee), New Caney, TXAugust 24, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
it was a busy environment, with great managers. I learned how to work hard. i had very dedicated co-workers. the hardest part of the job was nothing. i enjoyed my managers they were both great.
Friendly & Professional place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Seaford, DEAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great hours
Cons: Working nights
A very fast paced experience. A lot of multitasking required. Have to have great customer service skills even in the toughest situations. The coworkers are great however there was only one cashier and one manager working at anytime but the managers are great. They are very helpful and patient.I learned how to better interact with customers and increased my multitasking skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers who were very pleasant.
Headquarters