Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 12,215 reviews matching the search
Fun job to interact with customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TennesseeAugust 21, 2017
This job was a steady paced retail job. The customers were usually friendly and the job was not unreasonable. The pay was expected for a part time job.
Productive and a fast pace workplace.
Repack picker (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OKAugust 20, 2017
My coworkers where great.I learned how to pick and stock.But the managers where not cooperative with the coworkers as they should be.And the workplace culture was okay.The hardest part of the job is when you go up to ur supervisor and suggest something unsafe and them ignoring you.I enjoyed the people cause after so many years you treat them like family.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long distance to breakroom
managment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 20, 2017
they sucked very bad they lost money and all because it was from my draw they fired me that is not fair and then they didnt even pay me my last check i
Dollar General
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 20, 2017
Dollar General is more suited to people that have never held a job and just need experience to get a better one. The job itself gives minimum wage, no benefits, and hardly any hours. Great if you have 2 or more jobs and/or have school classes. Not a good job to pay the bills.
Pros
Relaxed Environment, Home Daily
Cons
Low Pay, Low Hours, No Benefits
Low pay few hours
Cashier-key holder (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXAugust 20, 2017
The pay is 7.50 an hour. They only give you about 25 hours a week.
You do get paid every Friday. Low pay few hours no paid time off, no sick time off.
Pros
pay some bills, paid weekly
Cons
not much money
Barely no shift competition.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Louisburg, KSAugust 20, 2017
I shared my position with only a few other coworkers so shifts were easy to find. Taking time off was difficult, even if it was a special day like a personal birthday or emergencies.
Pros
Nice shifts, sometimes double shifts available
Cons
No health benefits, maximum 30 hours/week
Awful company.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 20, 2017
Horrible district and regional management. 60+ hour work weeks with no support. Worst company I have ever worked for. No respect from DM. Terrible store conditions.
Pros
None.
Cons
All.
Easy to learn fun to work there I really liked it
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHAugust 20, 2017
My manager was the nicest very caring also. Most customers (at my location) are very nice you get to know people its a small town.Never had any problems working there besides getting some cashiers to do their jobs.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Poor Customer Service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAAugust 20, 2017
Hostile work place , Schedule 1 employee to do so many tasks, which takes away from serving the customers. Dirty and untidy due to scheduling. CEO not responsive to employees needs. Overall salary is 7.25 an hour for hard working young people trying to pay for school. On a positive note , it was close to home.
Pros
close to home
Cons
poor salray, poor management, work alone with many tasks that need to be done
Don't make a life on Retail
Part Time Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, SDAugust 20, 2017
Now this is a little biased and out of date but the manager that was in charge when I worked there didn't like me and tried to blame large amounts of missing money on me on days I didn't work. The customers are not pleasant and management needs to learn how to balance workers.
Store management
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Wayland, NYAugust 19, 2017
Customer service is number one
Receiving accounts with a handheld is necessary on a daily basis
Making sure the customer is happy with all aspects of their shopping experience.
The hardest part of the job is trying to make the schedule accommodate all employees and continue to give full time employees and part time employees the correct hours with the requests off and inability to work certain days and hours of the week or weekend.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the continued "regulars". The customers that come in on a regular basis and get the same things or the same requests for specialty items.
Pros
Health benefits, paid vacation days and bonuses
Cons
Covering any and all called off shifts which could mean 70 hour weeks
Different options everyday
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, AL 36081August 19, 2017
Working at Dollar General has given me an eye-opening experience into how to provide great customer service to an assortment of people. It has also provided me with a chance to expand multitasking skills and how to delegate tasks more efficiently. It has also given me experience in how to talk to employees like an efficient leader. The management above myself are easy to talk to and receive help from if needed. Its a different task each day that you walk in the door.
Productive but khaotic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Quincy, FLAugust 19, 2017
this job gave me a good experience working with the public and meeting new people everyday. I also learned alot when it comes to time as well as patience. Great summer job .
Pros
Being hands on with customers
Cons
No organization
What I learned from workinf
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hartsville S.C.August 19, 2017
the most inportance part of the job is using your time well and doing your best on any job. and making use of good time, on job
I ve learned some patients with all peoples in and out of work place
and myself too. my days are made complete with all my jobs and with children I love hoiladays and Brithdays on and of f my job
Pros
I worked the NAC ate free every day twice and it was free.
Cons
I work hard for what I want .
Great store.
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 19, 2017
Okay store. It was my first retail store so i learned the basic in retailing store was barely clean and the items were never stocked up leaving with lots of angry customers
good/bad
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCAugust 19, 2017
Overall i loved my job. The last few months they made major changes and lost a lot of long time managers. I worked there for 7 years and it onlu got to the breaking point in the last 6 months and in my district alone the turn over rate was so high we had no one to cover all the shifts needed and managers were working 70 80 hours a week.
Pros
managers have other managets back
Cons
no work life balance
Stay Busy
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOAugust 19, 2017
There is always something to do to stay busy here. Never worry about being bored. For the most part everyone gets along great and getting advanced in job title is usually very quick.
Pros
Job title advancement
Cons
Work alot of evenings and weekends
job overworked me
Asst Manager Perishables (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2017
It was fine until I got a new manager. I had to come in 7 days a week for 10 hours at a time as an assistant manager. It got so bad, I ended up overworking myself and fell ill.
it's a fun place to work.
Sales Associate /Main Cashier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48238August 19, 2017
A typical work day would consist of cleaning cash register area, stocking HB&A,team meetings, working the front end cash register and greeting as well as helping customers have the most enjoyable shopping experience and walk out extremely happy. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new customers and making them smile. also, assisting them in anyway i could. the hardest part of my job was dealing with theft. management was very friendly and respectable. woking here i learned how to push sales, work with different personalities and solving conflict. As well as recovery and stocking.
Pros
discounts at hotels when you showed your DG I.D badge
Cons
health care, low hourly wage.
Eh not the best
Dollar General Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milner, GAAugust 18, 2017
It was okay it was a job it paid.................................................the manager I had was kinda rude to her customers. Of course I had to apologize
Pros
Hardly any breaks
Cons
Hardly any breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8