Dollar General
3,430 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

productive place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Attalla, ALJuly 27, 2014
I enjoyed working for dollar general,learned how to manage a store an run it on my own. management for the most part was great. co-workers were awesome a fun environment. xhardest part of job was probably all the deadlines all at the same time and not enough time in the day.
Great and fun environment
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 27, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: pay
Easy hours, people always have positive attitudes, harderst part of the job when we are slow. Other than being slow or lack of business an awesome job
Wrong place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Haughton, LAJuly 27, 2014
Cons: low pay and low hours
This company work you too hard for little pay. The management is poor and don't respect your personal life. You may always end up working double shifts and not getting the pay for it. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
fun to meet new people.
Associate, cashier, customer service (Former Employee), Fremont, NCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: dealing with overrate customers
Cons: meeting new friendly faces
cashier and help put up stock. customer service and cleaning. I learn no matter what job it is there is something new you can learn. Management is good and hard working. Co-workers is hard working and very helpful. Hardest part of the job was trying to put up with the uncooperative and overrate customers. I know that all have to do with working with – more... the public. Most enjoyable bout the job was the co-workers and customers making them smile. – less
Growing Opportunities
Management (Former Employee), Cookeville, TNJuly 25, 2014
Hard steady days
management and retail experience
I'm a hard worker and a quick learner.
I like working with public.
Cashier (Former Employee), Huntington, WVJuly 25, 2014
Pros: enjoy being arond people.
I ran cash register, restocked shelves, opened and closed store.
Work
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Eureka, IlJuly 25, 2014
It is very fast-paced. The management is not the best but its improving. The co-workers are easy to get along with. It's a great job overall.
District Manager Turnover is abundant.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Cabot, ARJuly 25, 2014
District managers are not available when you need them to help. When you do well you aren't compensated enough at evaluations.
Productive and fun place to work
Manager (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 24, 2014
I have learned a great deal. Helping customers with locating products and any inquiries has been rewarding , although a bit challenging at times I feel it is my obligation to satisfy the customers with a pleasent experience when they come to shop.
Its a good place to work when you have good people to work with
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Mantachie, MSJuly 24, 2014
I love my job and the people that I work with. Only considering a career change due to personal reasons. It is a steady work pace environment. I learned a lot when I became an assistant manager and take pride in that. There is not really any hard part of the job. What I enjoy the most is the people that I work with and the people that walk through the – more... doors. At the end of the day most days I am happy with the way that the day went. If I helped only one person that day and made their life a little easier than my job for the day was done. – less
Fun place to work, but not enough hours.
Sales associate (Current Employee), Berea, KentuckyJuly 23, 2014
Pros: something new every day.
Cons: the occasional lack of hours
Dollar General is a great place to work. I have enjoyed my time here at Dollar General but the lack of hours can hurt. The management at my store was great.
Retail was not a pleasant experience and working all hours of the day and night were not compatible with my home life.
Cashier (Former Employee), Rome, NYJuly 23, 2014
Pros: usually getting a requested day off.
Cons: long hours, short breaks, and often not arriving home after a shift until nearly 11:00 p.m.
A typical day at work consisted of operating the cash register, mingling with customers, many of them regulars who were friendly and on a first name basis with me. When not operating the cash register, I was responsible for unloading stock, performing regular cleaning duties, and facing (pulling stock forward on shelves and general straightening).

I – more... learned that I was friendly and social, as well as good at my job. At first I loved the position but did not appreciate working every night and weekend with no opportunity for advancement.

Most of my co-workers were friendly and helpful, but many of them were also bitter with the situation and work environment. We experienced a very high turnover rate.

The hardest part of the job was working until 10:00 P.M. or arriving at 5:30 A.M., as well as working most weekends, sometimes even both days. Some customers were also very unpleasant but the customer was always right.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends with both co-workers and customers. – less
Hours changed to much from week to week.
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Queen City, MOJuly 23, 2014
Hardest part of the job was not getting your next schedule until the day before.
family oriented and strong team work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: good team, family oriented, nice pay/ benefits, chance for advancement
Cons: busy days
The Dollar General was my first job, and I was welcomed with open arms. Marci and my other managers were very helpful and gave me more experienced tasks because they knew my capabilities. I enjoyed the social interactions and the relationships that were made with repeat customers. We had a really strong team, and everyone knew their place and did a – more... good job at it. I am very pleased to have Marci and the Dollar General team as references for my later goals in life. – less
Higher Management Problems
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, GAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: it's a job
Cons: not allowed to leave the area for lunch, and breaks, higher management issues
Working with customers is the highlight of my day, however the higher management hinders production requirements. Management, district level and higher expect work that should be a workload of a crew of 10 people, the higher management expects us to accomplish the workload with 2 people. Higher management does not understand that if they were to give – more... us more people for our crew, production will rise significantly. – less
Stressful place to work
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Glasgow, KYJuly 23, 2014
Pros: nice customers, moving up fast in the business
Cons: poor managment, not enough help, stressful
I really enjoyed my customers and employees. The management system was poor. I went months without a GM, and a month or so without a assistant manager. It does give you the opportunity to move up fast, but I would not work there again if offered.
Fun fast pace environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 23, 2014
lack of pay for the management position was the reason for leaving
Very great company to work for
Manager on Duty. Duties (Former Employee), Levelland, TXJuly 22, 2014
I learned about food safety, ordering trucks and decorating cakes
fun and respectful management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jackson, TNJuly 22, 2014
Pros: breaks and celebration
Cons: hours given and holidays off
I like having ppl that i was familiar with to work around and we treated and acted as if we were all family i would work for them again.
To much work for the pay
Store Manager (Current Employee), Tupelo, MSJuly 22, 2014
After working for the company over a year in a half, I was used and abused. This company has sent me to over 5 stores to manage, but the time invested and the pay does not match. They require the Store manager to do so much and if you have a family or any type of life, this is not for you.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more