Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 11,275 reviews matching the search
Is a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2017
Depending on the manager that you have is a good place to work. The manager that I had by the time I was there, was great. I would recomed people to go there to work
Wasn't well good
Dollar General Key holder (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 23, 2017
The store wasn't well run by the manager it was always a mess because she was always living the store wasn't take care of business to handle the stuff that needed to be done also she was taking people hours
Productive Work Place and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  825 Ozark St, Morris, OK 74445June 23, 2017
A day to day, repetitious type of job. You knew what you were going to do everyday. Business plan displayed in break room. Great atmosphere and filled with great employees and management.
Pros
Wasn't too hard of a Job
Cons
Customer Service
I cannot find a good reason to work for this company
Store Manager, salary (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 23, 2017
As the manager I did shipping, receiving, ordering, hiring, firing, inventory, training, profit and loss, payroll, banking, cash deposits and balancing. No time off, 65 plus hours a week, and no support from District or regional managers.
Pros
Convienent
Cons
Support system
fun place
Assistant Manager/Cashier/Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eagle Lake, TXJune 23, 2017
I loved my job and I would recommend this place to anyone that wants to build a career with a good company and great people. benefits are good as well.
Pros
lunch breaks, employees are team players
Cons
work gets stressful at times
Hours cut, low pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKJune 23, 2017
In my short experience working for this company, I have to say this is a job for people who like slow paced environments with multiple slow points throughout the day. Pay is decent, although my hours were cut exponentially without notice, and for that reason I terminated my employment.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, not enough hours
Good place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valley, AL 36854June 23, 2017
Dollar General was a good place to work at with a good work environment. Job was a cashier, and had to put up stock and cleaned store. Most customers were friendly.
Stressful and demanding
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GAJune 23, 2017
When I first started here, it was okay. But when I became an Assistant Manager, all that changed. It's a lot of hard work with little compensation. It was very stressful.
Noy a bad place to to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNJune 23, 2017
I worked in store development as a contractor which later changed to project execution. I had the most scared micro manager boss of them all. She was so scared of her boss it showed ridiculously. She would show how to do the work and then she would do it for you. I worked there 7 months and I've never worked in an environment where people don't speak when they come in.
Pros
No problem with taking time off
Cons
Absolutely nothing
Dollar g
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Hopewell, PAJune 22, 2017
I don't care for this job when you have a rude disrespectful boss that doesn't make coming to work fun and only nice to a few of her employee nobody d
Pros
Nice Customers
Cons
Not eough hour
Nice workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARJune 22, 2017
Although my stint with the company wasn't long at all; I still enjoyed every minute I had with the company. The work environment was nice mainly because of the customers.
Work their people to hard
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milaca, MNJune 22, 2017
Dollar General works their people hard. They want a lot out of the minimum wage workers especially. The managers are worked to death. They never give the store enough hours for the workers.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Hard work
Easy job, however extremely boring
LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 22, 2017
Very easy job, however it was very very boring. None of the staff seemed to want to interact with one another and they all looked miserable. Most of the time I was there the staff always talked bad about management .
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
A job to get by
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJune 22, 2017
This is just a job to get by. There are no special perks for working for this company. A pro is that checks come weekly and because there is always short staff there is always room for advancement.
Tightly-knit work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 22, 2017
This was otherwise a great place to work...when I actually got to work. I was lucky to get over 20 hours a week. If you're looking for a part-time second job, this is it. Otherwise, look elsewhere.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Good luck getting hours if you're not management
Lead Sales Associate and stocker (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCJune 22, 2017
I love shopping at the Dollar General. I can find everything I need there and pay a fraction of the price from other stores. I really like my co employees. J J the manager is totally awesome
Typical retail management with ups and downs. Mostly ups during my employment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJune 22, 2017
Had total responsibility for everything that happened within the store. Dealing with all aspects of the operation of the business including customers, employees and vendors.
Answered to a District manager and home office.
Hardest part was the long hours and scheduling part time people to fit the needs of the store. Keeping a clean, organized store was a priority but made harder by Corporate cuts in hours available for my employees.
Best part was dealing with customers and being chosen as the Model Store to present to a group from Goldman-Sachs who came from New York to see how the stores were managed before presenting us on the Stock Market. I also was chosen to host the NASCAR Show Car for a special viewing while our car was in DFW to race. It was Halloween so we set up a carnival and games for our customers. Had a great turn out.
Pros
planned my own schedule
Cons
Poor benefits for employees
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schroon Lake, NYJune 22, 2017
Great place to work friendly coworkers and understanding managment great oppertunities for advancment...loved working here. Was a fun fast passed environment
a good learning experiance for anyone wanting to work in management
hourly manager (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJune 22, 2017
dollar general is a chain of small stores
I learned to manage a small staff
management team is the primary workforce
there is minimal teamwork due to small staff
keeping on schedule
working with driven hard working individuals
Pros
health care and pade time off
Cons
wages are not competative and small staff for workload
uninviting
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Overbrook, KSJune 22, 2017
unprofessional place of employment at this particular store. Manager picks favorites, terrorizes others. Stress level is above the roof due to managers anger.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8