Dollar General
3,692 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

Unorginized
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Baker, LASeptember 16, 2014
Dollar General had a very horrible management team. The work schedule was supposed to be made at least a week in advance it would be made on the day of...
Its busy and never boring
3rd key management position (Former Employee), Runnelstown, MSSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: the hours were flexible
Cons: .25 cent a year raise... really?????
A typical day@ work I was always busy in which I like to be. I learned how to multitask in which I think everyone needs to learn how to do in the day we live in. Management was definitely an experience I will never forget, I had the opportunity to step-up,and learn more about the jod and I did. My co-workers were great, we all got along and worked together. – more... The hardest part of the job was the lifting, pulling, and pushing of the freight we received every week. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking and meeting new people, I also loved counting money, and doing the paperwork. – less
FUN WORKPLACE
ASSISTANT MANAGER/ MANAGER (Former Employee), San Benito, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: fun workplace
Cons: wages
PRIOR TO BEING ASSISTANT, I WAS A MANAGER BUT VOLUNTARILY DEMOTED MYSELF TO BE CLOSER TO HOME DUE TO MY DAUGHTER BEING ILL. I OPENED AND CLOSED THE STORE, MONETARY HANDLING, BANK DEPOSITS, WENT TO DIFFERENT STORES TO HELP THEM OPEN OR CLOSE THE STORES DOWN FOR REBUILDING, ALSO HELP IN INVENTORY. ALSO RANKED LOWEST SHRINKAGE PERCENTAGE IN MY INVENTORY.
Dead-end job with no support from cooperate management
Manager (Current Employee), OklahomaSeptember 16, 2014
This job could be fun and more profitable for Dollar General if they really followed their corporate mission statement of "Serving Others".

The wages are low, corporate management plays no part in the day to day operations of a store, and the store managers are forced to milk employees for every bit of labor they can to meet the corporate quotas.

If – more... you need a temporary position while completing college or if you have a child that needs a prod to attend college then this job is right for you!

Expect your low earning customers to treat you like scum of the Earth and most welfare recipients will treat you as if it is necessary to treat them like royalty! – less
fun place. small but productive.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clementon, NJSeptember 16, 2014
even though its a small place to work, the co workers are all so close. truly the best place i've worked so far. never boring, always fast paced.
Had a bad manager
Team Member (Former Employee), Pace, FLSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: not a hard job, great people to work with
Cons: i had a bad manager
I would have loved to stay but I had a bad manager. She is gone now but I put in a notice too so I may not be able to get my job back. That is ok.....this company is not bad to work for if you come in and do your job!!
Enjoyed my work and my team
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed this position, just needed more money. I really enjoyed help people and working with my employees.
Good Company in a small town area.
Shipping Loader (Current Employee), Scottsville, KYSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: plenty of hours
Cons: quite a bit of turnover
Lots of tough work, but manageable, by those willing to put in the effort. Advancement availability also for those willing to put in the time and effort. You can get out of it, what you put into it.
Good workplace for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee), Austell, GASeptember 15, 2014
Co-workers were like family to me. I was extremely comfortable working in Dollar General
not a good place to work for
Key Holder/ Sales Associate Lead (Former Employee), Pinckney, MISeptember 15, 2014
I was a sales associate, basically a cashier. I was never allowed to get over time, I had to take longer breaks to avoid it. The general manager said they would be flexible with my schedule but never was. They played favorites with the other employees and was a bit sexist. And every time I asked for a day off in advance, I would be denied it.
In the work space
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), North Birmingham, ALSeptember 15, 2014
Being at this job I fell in love with people, this job was face to face costumer service action all day long. This job is physically demanding, stocking freight, changing plan-a-grams, sweeping, mopping, and lastly going all around you store for customers and security purposes. Threw out the day I would let the store employees on shift know what they – more... needed to do for the day and what the goals were for our day, receiving vendors, stocking, most importantly taking care of our customers as well as keeping ourselves safe in our environment. – less
Fun place to work and really busy enviroment.
Manager (Former Employee), Muscatine, IASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: alot of different people you would see and enjoyed it.
Cons: real long days sometimes and always real busy if something wasn't done i always had to do it.
I liked working at the store my employees were great and had a great team working for me.
very stressful
Cashier/Customer (Current Employee), FortPierce, FlSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: helping the community
Cons: unecessary stressful conditions
You were always rushing to put away stock, so they didn't have high payroll for the rest of the week until the truck comes back.
They made you feel like you can stay or leave because there are so many people wanting a job. They really don't care about you at all. That is why the turn over is sooo high. They had 5 different managers come and go in the – more... almost 3 years that I am there. I did enjoy working there because of all the same customers I see everyday. They were so sweet. I miss them. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Valley, GASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: friendly customers
Cons: short lunch breaks
i thoroughly enjoyed working at this place, i ended up making great friends, and learned new skills as far as being a clerk was concerned.
Great Workplace
Assistant Manager - Store Manager (Former Employee), Valdese, NCSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: stressful
Dollar General was one of my favorite places to work. Very stressful indeed, but overall, I fell in love with all my co workers and my customers. I enjoyed every part of this job.
Minimum wage, non flexible schedule and work schedule not as advertized
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Greeley, COSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: paid weekly
Cons: no breaks, minimum wage management.
If I didn't need a paycheck, I would have quit the first week. Open store, reshelf isles, price check, stock, time limits for every task.
Not a good place
Store Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, TNSeptember 12, 2014
Had no support from district, had to work open to close for 9 weeks with no breaks, no lunch or anything Working 120 a week but only getting paid for 40hr
Moving up with the company
Key Holder (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCSeptember 12, 2014
With in the first year of me working there I moved up twice. The company is awesome.
Lots of work
Store Manager (Former Employee), NopeSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: left alone most of the time
Cons: lots of hours, no lunch
No home life
Lots of hours
No lunch breaks
enjoyed the customers
Steady paycheck
Good place to learn
2nd best job
Cashier/K (Former Employee), Monticello, GASeptember 12, 2014
This was an excellent job until they started cutting hours. I was promoted an promised 35+ hours a week but ended up only receiving 20 hours or less a week.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more