Dollar General Employee Reviews

Fun and very Helpful
Assistant Manager/Key holder (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILDecember 7, 2017
Management was always there when you needed them, everyone was very kind and great to work with. They have taught me what it takes to be a key holder.
good place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Livingston, TXDecember 7, 2017
I loved my job there I was there for four years the hardest part of the job was having a bad manager but other than that I loved it. I learned that you can achive anything if you set your mined to it
Enjoyable and hard work
Clerk/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dumas, TXDecember 7, 2017
Working here was truly an experience. I had good coworkers that were willing to help you with whatever you needed. Customer service was important and we strived to be the our best.
Waste
General Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYDecember 7, 2017
You go in to work every day not knowing what your hours consist of. You are scheduled to work thanksgiving and christmas eve and christmas. You will be scheduled to work on weekends getting in the way of your personal life. And it isn't any better for supervisors either.
Pros
A lot of overtime if you want it and even if you don't
Cons
Benefits For heath and all ar a joke
Fun and exciting
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  York, PADecember 7, 2017
Good parttime job for extra income. You can set your own schedule and also get paid weekly! Easy work load, customers are nice and so are the co workers
Very fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GADecember 7, 2017
The store is always busy your Always moving around barely have time to take a break most days. Overall not a bad place to work. The staff were very friendly.
never again
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 6, 2017
the experience i had at DG was not a good one..long hours no pay no help. complaint after complaint they dont treat their loyal employees fair very cut throat with high turnover rates
I love my job
Lead Sale Associat (Current Employee) –  Shaw, MSDecember 6, 2017
Most employee are under paid compared to other competitive companies in the same field. Which i think is one if the main reason previous employee no longer which for the cmpany, to seek better pay
Not a place to work long
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Monroe, GADecember 6, 2017
Worked there a year, was always passed over for management cause of my age even if i do the job way better then the older people, would be sent to closer stores when out of stuff or management would go and leave me to deal with customers alone, holidays are a mad house, gets breaks if not busy, have to be quick and nice, be ready to count a lot of change from customers, older ladies were always rude. the sale were rough along with people that dont read their coupons.
Pros
few nice customers
Cons
weird hours, a lot of change to count
Dollar General
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 6, 2017
Dollar General is a place where you can learn alot. I first started as a cashier and then moved my way up to a key holder and then to the lead key holder. I trained everyone, and then got to learn a lot about cash handling and how to manage a company and be a leader to others.
Fast pace and demanding
Lead Sales Associate/Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHDecember 6, 2017
Fast pace and demanding with a high turnover rate. Easy to talk with management; but, slow to implement. Some friendly coworkers and lots of stocking required.
Na
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJDecember 6, 2017
Stores are incredibly overstocked and no one there to help with getting it organized. Orders were being placed by upper management without even entering the store for inventory purposes. Each day we would stock and by the next truck there were too many cases to clear the stock room. Poor upper management. Poor communication.
Fun place
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 6, 2017
Enjoyed working at Dollar General , my Manager was great , our team all worked together to get the job done , store stocked & being customer friendly
Pros
friendly, fun place
Cons
not enough hours
Flexible work hours
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Haltom City, TXDecember 6, 2017
If you like flexible work hours, or have obligations or need a foot in the work place, DG could be a match. The only real issue I have had is that work hours at full time don't always match what is signed up for (meaning sometimes PT hours are a thing even when there are FT benefits). If you like working and helping people, this is also a good thing.
Lots of room for training
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 6, 2017
Building security after hours needs improvement to keep employees safe.

Loved working with a team that helped break numerous numbers in sales, outs, inventory shortages, advancements.

Enjoyed working with vendors to help keep outs to a all time low, as well as breaking records for different products sold, with all the rewards and prizes.
Pros
Working as a team
Cons
Security not safe
Nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hughes ArkansasDecember 6, 2017
I enjoy working with Dollar general the little month I did work enjoy the people and the people I was working with put up things and talking to the customer
Good Breaks and not that long of a job list
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXDecember 6, 2017
Very laid back and very productive. Great work environment, everyone helped everyone and no one was left with a bigger job than the other. Had all my duties wrote down so I knew what to do and what was expected.
Pros
lunches where good
Cons
The store was very small
Fast paced work enviorment,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GADecember 6, 2017
As an assistant manager I was greeted with amazing friendly customers. But because of job requirements and pay for associates it was challenging to run a successful store.
It could be better...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2017
Working for Dollar general could have been better. The management team was lacking and did not focus on the need for the business. The was lots of favoritism which created a hostile work environment.
Pros
Meweting new people, and learning about big box retailers gaining product knowledge.
Cons
Long hours, and poor management
what i have learned
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Alma, MIDecember 6, 2017
Management sucks. the whole place is a joke .this is literally the worst place i have ever worked for. befor hand i was warned not to work here but thought i would give in a try because i cant be as bad as people say but no its horrible!
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7