Dollar General
5,318 reviews

Dollar General Employee Reviews

My particular store was a disaster
Cashier (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJuly 27, 2015
Pros: 30 minute lunch break for 6+hours
Cons: Pay to work ratio was not balanced, management was unprofessional, schedule changed constantly
My store was a nightmare to work at. The management did not seem as though they knew how to do their jobs. They were petty, full of drama, and could not keep their employees in line. People were always calling out at the last minute, and we went through employees very quickly due to management being rude and unfair to them, doing things such as calling them names and accusing people of stealing money. I feel as though Dollar General in general would be an okay company to work for, however the corporation does not pay enough for the duties required to be performed, in my opinion.
enjoyed the retail experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), Dickson, TNJuly 27, 2015
Pros: areas for advancement
Cons: not great pay scale for managers
comfortable job for me. Enjoyed the retail environment. Closed Christmas. Steady work. employees were mostly dependable.
Interesting Place to Work
anonymous (Former Employee), Goodlettsville, TNJuly 27, 2015
If you work in the Corporate office you will see great opportunity, the stores are remotely located and associates work really long and labor intensive hours with less opportunity to advance.
Great company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ardmore, OKJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers!
Cons: I had to work 60-70 hours a week for 6 weeks. My children were 4 years and 1 year old at that time.
Dollar General is a great company to work for and my co-workers were like family. I started as a cashier and within 2 weeks I became a key holder and in a total of 7 months with the company I became an assistant manager. I was an assistant manager for 2 weeks when the manager quit and I became acting store manager. The hardest part of my job was transferring stores, but I loved traveling to other stores and helping them get back on track. I learned that with hard work and dedication you can advance with a company.
I loved this job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Monroe, NCJuly 26, 2015
Pros: People, benefits.
Cons: the number of hours
Good people, decent pay, good benefits, Good atmosphere, Managment was great to work with us when we needed time off, or if something came up. I loved the people here.
fast-pace environment. must muti-task
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Jefferson City, TNJuly 26, 2015
Pros: count money, the people i work with, the environment
Cons: rude customers
I enjoy counting the money and preparing deposits. I also enjoy running the register and being around people. I have a wonderful boss. my co-workers are wonderful to work with. I must also stock the shelves on truck days. I take trips to the bank to drop off deposits and get change.
busy workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Carrollton, KYJuly 26, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: health care
Everyday was a busy day. The co-workers were all very nice. The hardest part of the day was when the lines were long and I was the only one working. I enjoyed what I did there
Pleasant work environment with great customer interaction.
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager Candidate (Former Employee), Exeter, PAJuly 26, 2015
Working for Dollar General was a pleasant experience due to its constant interaction with customers. Unfortunately, I did not find the company's ethical and productivity standards to meet my expectations.
DG
ASSISSTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Alvarado, TXJuly 25, 2015
Pros: The customers
Cons: Everything else
Pretty much not worth your time. One of the worst companies to work for. The pay is terrible. And good luck expecting anything above store level.
Very Productive
3rd Key Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, GAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Seeing different people
Cons: Unpaid Breaks
Hired and trained over 60 personnel to become proficient in the retail industry. Performed opening and closing operations at the store with no supervision. Accounted for over $3,000 daily while running various shifts.
Working for Dollar General
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee), Texico, NMJuly 25, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Bad Work Place
Working for Dollar General was the most unpleasant job I have worked for. The management at the time of me working there was doing his job and wouldn't allow the employee's to do their jobs efficiently.
fun friendly place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee), Weyers Cave, VAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: good manager
Cons: not enough pay
I liked working at dollar general. The people were great and it was a fun environment to work in. I enjoyed talking to the customers, and getting hear how their day has been. reorganizing the shelves and stocking was always fun for me and I was good at it.
store manager
Store Manager (Former Employee), South Pittsburg, TNJuly 25, 2015
typical day is 14 hours
loved the employees that worked with me
getting all of the retail out in a limited space was the hardest part
the customers were the most enjoyable part of my job
Enjoyable workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee), Waupun, WIJuly 25, 2015
Although hectic on most days the customer interaction and being part of a great management team makes this a very enjoyable place to work.
good entry level position
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Fayetteville Road Lumberton, NCJuly 24, 2015
Great entry level position for someone straight out of school to enter the workforce. Management was ok, some co-workers were very rude to customers and used profanity
Disorganized and demanding
Assistant Manager Retail (Former Employee), Webster City, IAJuly 24, 2015
As a member of management I was expected to put in 60-70 hours a week due to their inability to retain employees. Way too many days where I closed and had to open 6 hours later.
Stock (Current Employee), Annapolis, MDJuly 24, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.
Supportive management cant complain not challenging easy tasks on days I work.
a lot of room for advancement in company
ASSISTANT MANAGER/ACTING MANAGER (Former Employee), Marienville, PAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: breaks, room for advancement
Cons: not much help from upper management
pretty straight forward guidelines for work. Great customers that can brighten your day. Strong use of customer service. Hardest part of the job was the days when the shipment comes in. Long hours of stocking shelves and doing paperwork.
Dollar General is not a great company to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Buckner, MOJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Its a job.
Cons: Everything
Your experience with Dollar General all depends on who you work for. It is an unfair and unorganized company.
You have to work for the person to be recognized.
Depending on where you work depends on the type of coworkers you have. If you work in the city they are rude and are just there for a paycheck.
Dollar General
Cashier (Former Employee), st.louis MO.July 24, 2015
It was a good establishment but I was not able to get the hours I needed. And the sercurity guards left before the second started.

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more

Dollar General Salaries