Dollar General
4,011 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

Crazy but fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Theodore, ALNovember 17, 2014
A typical day at work would include waiting tables, greeting customers, handling cash, busing tables, washing dishes, cleaning and stocking store, prepping food, and sometimes cooking. You learn how to multitask in a very fast paced environment and help others as well as do your own work. Management is great. Co-workers are down to earth and really – more... personable. The hardest part of the job would be having to wash dishes and wait on tables when the store is packed and there is no down time. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with the customers. – less
Easy days and hard days
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Radcliff, KYNovember 17, 2014
Pros: long breaks
Cons: no employee discount
A day at Dollar General can vary in both directions. If you have good co-workers that do there part work is never to much for anybody. But if you have employees that don't work and sit around all day the work they don't do you have to do plus the work for your shift. the most enjoyable part of the day is interacting with customers as you check them – more... out. – less
Great first job; many lessons learned.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kannapolis, NCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: customer interaction, friendly coworkers.
Cons: short-notice schedules, horrible managers, unkempt stores.
I worked in 3 different Dollar Generals in the year I was with the company. The stores vary extremely, in cleanliness, managerial experience, and the type of customers you will deal with.

The first store I was in, I had a consistent schedule, which was great, but the manager was hard to work for. He was very intimidating, stern, and unfriendly to customers – more... and employees alike. I've heard from dozens of people who have been to his store that he is "scary". Needless to say, it got overwhelming to work for him from time to time, which led me to a transfer.

The second store I worked with, the manager was extremely friendly which was a wonderful change. However, there is a line between laid-back and unprofessional that I'm sad to say, this manager crossed several times. I witnessed this particular manager argue with customers, cause scenes, follow shoplifters...all of which are strictly against the company's policy. The manager was young and frankly shouldn't have been in a position of power. Her lowers were made to clean up her messes frequently and as I keep in touch with some, they have since moved on to other jobs as a consequence of the manager's actions and the way she would talk to/treat us.

The third Dollar General I worked in, I was only an employee for a day, as the store needed some temporary help. It was the best experience I'd had at one of the stores thus far. They played uplifting music, the manager was warm and professional, and the customers were typically older and extremely welcoming. It all made me wish I'd been originally hired to this store.

Overall, seeing fights, shoplifting, people on different types of influences, and frequent police visits made me want to leave this company in search of something better for myself. I'm not sure if I would return, but I don't regret working there. I learned many lessons and it was a great variety of jobs to prepare me for others down the road. – less
Very detailed knowledge of retail
Cashier (Former Employee), daleville alNovember 16, 2014
Great Work experience with employer and customers. Good training and flexible work schedule.
good pay, bad management
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LANovember 16, 2014
I really enjoyed my time at Dollar General outside of manager. Hours are generally flexible and pay is good.
always have something to do
Part-Time Sales Associate Lead (Current Employee), North Bend, OHNovember 15, 2014
i have good co-workers. Get along with all my co-workers. The manager and assistant manager are nice also and make sure you know how to do your job 100%.
Straight to business with friendly, understanding managment.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: only two people worked at a time.
The typical day was not exhilarating of course but there was no time for resting either. The most important lesson I learned is unfortunately customers are not your friends. There was not hard part of the job everything was fair when it came to difficulty.
dollar general
assistant manager (Former Employee), West Monroe, LANovember 15, 2014
overall a very bad experience i was accused of stealing when all along it was the store manager doing it.
Productive community based company
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Toledo, OHNovember 15, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: not enough hours
A great place to get to know people in the neighborhood. Able to work on customer service and organizational skills. Great job to be able to learn and grow for another job in the future.
good/bad days put threw good strong attiude
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Selma, ALNovember 15, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch break 2
Cons: 30 mins lunch break
learned a lot of thing different skills love my work
working for this company was really good
Very fun place to work.
Third Key Supervisor (Former Employee), Wellston, OhioNovember 15, 2014
Pros: fun, customers
Cons: pay
For the most part staff and customers helped make for great days at work. Pay wasn't the best.
Cashier (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2014
It was the same as experience in Arkansas, as it was here. It's the same work guidelines.
All around a great experience!
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Carrollton, GANovember 14, 2014
Pros: meeting different people, work with your schedule
Cons: part time and amount paid
A typical day working for DG was working! No moments of rest. People were always in there and you always had something to do. Although I was always busy with customers, I formed many connections and relationships with them. Being able to learn about so many people and give your suggestions and opinions made the job worth while. My co-workers and management – more... were amazing. The hardest part of the job is not knowing the different attitudes people will have that particular day. But that is also the most enjoyable part, you never knew what was bound to happen the next day. – less
Productive Always Have Something To Do
Inventory/ Stock Clerk (Current Employee), Detroit, MINovember 14, 2014
Pros: staying busy
Cons: low pay
I Enjoyed This Job Because I Stayed Busy & Very Productive Stocking & Counting Plenty Inventory.
I Learned how to be a better leader
overnight stocking manager (Former Employee), Mesquite TXNovember 13, 2014
The store was 24hrs. I started out as a cashier working in the daytime and was promoted to the overnight stocking manager. My team worked well together and i gained good experience in problem solving and learning how to prioritize multiple duties in the workplace. I enjoyed setting up the store for holidays the most though. I was able to show off my – more... creative side. – less
Fun yet productive workplace
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rosedale, MsNovember 13, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: unsafe location
My first customer service job, I learned all of the basic of being a cashier and customer service provider.
I constantly learned new things and felt like I was challenged almost everyday.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Killeen, TXNovember 13, 2014
Pros: stayed in shape, good promotions and pay, benefits as well.
Cons: unpredictable work schedule.
I really enjoyed my time in the service. Shooting weapons was just part of the job. I really enjoyed the communications role in the unit. I was there only communications representative for the entire company.
Enjoyable job with opportunities for career advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLNovember 13, 2014
Retail exposes you to knowledge about customers and getting to know their needs.
My personal experience
Cashier/Stock (Current Employee), Haughton, LANovember 13, 2014
Pros: lovely people
Cons: hours
When I come in I am required to clean and greet customers ect.
As a part time worked I didn't expect to have tons of hours but 13.5 is not all the best.
very stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Alice, TXNovember 13, 2014
not very clean. very stressful environment. overall employees are helpful.

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more