Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 9,523 reviews matching the search
Offered Job Advancement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIFebruary 22, 2017
I loved this Job but did not like the Pay Had no Raises and did not get any promotions so it had put a set back Financially other that that I enjoyed being Part of a Team.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
No Raises
Very stressful work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MOFebruary 22, 2017
The 2 day I worked at this place we had two imployees assaulted by 4 customers. Also very messy and hours sucked. If they were to drug test everyone there would have failed. Manger was super awesome but never wanted to work when she was needed.
Pros
Awesome boss
Cons
Messy, rude people, terrible accistants
Efficient and easy-going workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Working at dollar general I learned good communication skills with customers and how to keep the conversation short and simple. The management was effective and easy going. The hardest part of my job would be the customers at times because of their impatience but with the proper efficiency it would not be a problem. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work together with co-workers in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Easy going co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Customer service, cashier, stocker
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mill Creek, NCFebruary 21, 2017
I was a cashier, I checked customers out and made sure there visit was ok. I stocked shelves. A very busy environment, because of retail. The store and coworkers were great. My favorite part of the job is customers.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Had to leave due to hours of work
Average retail experience.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVFebruary 21, 2017
Company really depends on who is above you. I had an awesome manager who made the work at the store level extremely satisfying, but not the same experience with district managers. Often times, upper-management doesn't care about you and kills in positive culture the company could have. No real incentives to work there honestly.
Pros
Paycheck
I love worked for Dollar General. I just need more money
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYFebruary 21, 2017
As a store manager you are on call 24/7. You are required to work 6 days a week. I get to met new people every day and are constantly thrown new challenges. I am always on the go and it's never a dull moment. I am required to do a lot but that is expected to be with the title of store manager. I do miss my family and friends dearly and wish I could get more pay for what I am asked to do. The hours giving for payroll are small and whatever is needed to make it up in the end is done by me. I am supposed to work no more than 50 hours a week but it is more like 60 when I am lucky.
Pros
always moving and always learning
Cons
pay isn't what I feel it should be
Hard work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 21, 2017
While working at Dollar General I ha a hard time because of the work I had to do. At this time of my life I was a breast feeding mother and trying to stock selves and made sure my clothes weren't being ruined all at the same time was a lot of work. But once I got the hang of things it all worked out. I worked for this company while in Tennessee and once i left to move to Tulsa some of my regular customers and co workers threw me a huge going away party. Best Day Ever!
Pros
great environment
Cons
not enough breaks, a lot of running around
it's an ejoyable workplace
Picking (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALFebruary 21, 2017
It's really like a fast workout but a constant workout everyday except the weekends, but overall it is a good job to work at.
Pros
A lot of discounts
Cons
sometimes they would cut our break short
Very Enjoyable Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CAFebruary 21, 2017
What I learned from Dollar General was how to organize the shelves in a fashionable and timely manner. Also I learned how to find and unpack the items received from trucks and locate the designated shelf in a fast time.
Great store
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZFebruary 21, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Dollar General and being a part of the management team. Multitasking was a daily assignment that i enjoyed. Interacting with customers often due to the smaller store size was very pleasant.
Loved working there
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 21, 2017
It was a grate place to work for a first time job.
The managers were very nice and helpful.
They never over pushed you to do more then expected
It was a grate job.
Half and Half
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tunica, MSFebruary 21, 2017
i didnt hate it but I didnt love it. No set schedules unless your assistant manager or above. constantly given impossible tasks.
Productive and clean environment
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAFebruary 21, 2017
I learned a lot about customer appreciation and how to formally speak with a customer here. The environment was very calm and peaceful and made working easy.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25405February 21, 2017
The store was ok. Not a lot of employees at first. Got in and helped hire a crew, trained and had good customer service. Got stock up quickly and cleaned up the store.
Pros
hours
Cons
short breaks
good job bad pay
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hubbard, TXFebruary 21, 2017
I loved the job until I got management change that only wanted to jump you instead of help you. We have recently cleaned up a lot of our stores with new direction but the new direction didn't give the teams any extra time to fix them so it was on the manager to work the extra hrs since they are salary.
Pros
health care and i like working with people
Cons
pay, hrs, managment
An okay job for students
Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 21, 2017
this is a nice job for high school students or those looking for a job while in college to make a little money. not a lot of room for growth or advancement. overall an okay job
Best in Philadelphia
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 21, 2017
You get to grow and know the neighborhood. Almost know every customer by name. Friendly environment. Team oriented group of individuals who are great to work with.
Pros
a lot of opportunity to move up
Cons
interrupted breaks
productive and fun work place.
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 21, 2017
i learned a lot about customer service, with this job you have to deal with a lot of personality's and being able to have patience with customers taught me a lot about how people interact with each other.
low pay for what is expected
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Angola, INFebruary 21, 2017
DG is very demanding and don't want to pay much. You can move up fast because of the turnover rate. The Corporate Office controls your every move including the temperature of the building and the lighting in the store.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
almost everything
fun workplace and always productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Travelers Rest, SCFebruary 21, 2017
i love my managers and who i work with and all that i can do for the company itself i am able to learn and do as i am told i may not be perfect but i learn and i learn to strive as a person and all that i do
Pros
great flexibility
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8