Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 12,149 reviews matching the search
A friendly atmosphere that can get hectic at times.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Due West, SCAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at work would entail setting up displays, stocking shelves, maintaining a clean work area, and check out the customers with a smile. A great day would include a balanced customer flow and maintaining stocked shelves. The hardest part of the job would be the lifting and the most enjoyable part would be to have assisted the customers to their satisfaction and done with a smile.
Pros
flexible hours
Management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hiseville, KYAugust 15, 2017
They were horrible to comply with you. They asked what days you could work and so you told them and they proceeded to give you exactly what you COULDN'T do. and then when you said something they agreed to work with you. only to schedule you the complete opposite again. Sometimes you had to call in to check your schedule because they wouldn't have it out in a timely manner. overall this dollar general was a horrible place to work and if you have kids its even worse since you need a baby sitter and don't have a reliable schedule.
Assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Hall, VAAugust 15, 2017
Greeting customers, cashier skills. I typically treated my customers like my family. I knew them personally. I was like a breath of fresh air to my customers.
good
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 15, 2017
Was a good company to work for, it just would of been nice if they give each store more hours. That would help maintaining everything correctly and helping with the truck.
okay job.
Cahier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lake City, TNAugust 15, 2017
This is an okay job , i had this job for almost a year until i told them i was needing some surgery, once i told them this , they completely quit giving me any hours .
Pros
made money
Minimal Managerial assistance
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, MOAugust 15, 2017
As a working manager, i had little to no budget, with a well performing store. Having worked for other companies, i know the labor was 30-50% lower than any other company i have been at. With that, the expectation was that the GM, Assistant GM and Shift Leaders were supposed to do everything, and work more than 40 hours.
Cons
Poor Upper Management, low budget
Order Filling
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLAugust 15, 2017
Order filling was the summery of this job which entails: scanning, counting, pulling, sorting, and stocking products on a rolltainter to send to the shipping docks.
not happy at all.
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GAAugust 15, 2017
That store is not a good place to work they are rude and unprofessional. the store manager feels like she can talk to you any kind of way and they don't pay the right amount for the type of work you do
Fun environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 14, 2017
Fun environment and enjoyed getting to know the customers. You always have to be on yours toes with people coming in and out cause you dont know if they are their to shop, steal, or rob the place Only down fall I had was dealing with people that would steal. Some of the work can be difficult but some of the work can be easy.
Pros
Meeting new people and always fun environment
Cons
Dealing with rude customers, taking the chance of dealing with someone stealing from the store or getting robbed
Love my crew
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 14, 2017
My work crew was a great crew always work together to get our job done in a time frame a was appreciate by the managers at all times motivation was the key
A very fast pace environment.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chowchilla, CAAugust 14, 2017
Too many unnecessary operational policies and procedures. Company stresses to much on internal shrink, while not addressing the more prevailing external issues.
Very challenging company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Corydon, KYAugust 14, 2017
Very challenging in areas of labor, recruiting and staffing. They really tie the hands of Managers with respect to the hiring process. Also, the compensation is relatively low when compared to other retailers.
Pros
I have a very supportive Boss.
Cons
Benefits and Compensation not good when compared to other retailers.
Stressful workplace, eventually dreaded going in.
Part Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 14, 2017
Working here started out great, but slowly became a chore, which isn't unlike a lot of jobs. But the hours were too much, even when I had requested morning shifts, I was given full weeks of nights. The management was rude, unprofessional, and seemed to slowly start to dislike me personally which blended into the work environment.
Pros
Met new friends, got job experience
Cons
No benefits, low pay, demanding hours, poor management
Good medical benefits, good training programs
Manager (Former Employee) –  Douglas, GAAugust 14, 2017
Wonderful customer assistance atmosphere. Fast paced environment. Good learning position for working employees, goal setting, coaching and training employees.
Great place to work, fun
Retail Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whiting, NJAugust 14, 2017
Stocking shelves, checking out customers, dealing with the occasional problem customer but utilizing customer service skills was the hard part. Fun environment, great staff and supervisor.
Dollar General Cashier/Stock
Cashier & Stock (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 14, 2017
The typical day at work entailed, hoping no one is stealing merchandise and trying to build baskets [sell more so the $ amount of the transaction is higher].
Unfortunately at the end of my employment there my store had come into new management, so they essentially fired everyone that previously worked there.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be that its a mostly laid back environment and as long as your drawer wasnt short and you made sure the aisles looked good you wouldnt get treated poorly.
Pros
Hours available to work
My Review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  925 Caton Rd Hwy 72 Lumberton, NCAugust 14, 2017
Overall, Dollar General is a good place of employment. It has a healthy balance of work meaning it alleviates workers where they are able to get things done around the store without worrying about getting behind or having customers being frustrated with our services. Managers were very understanding and made our schedules fit around our individual busy lives.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEAugust 14, 2017
Their company is just nt a good one. they have poor management skills. also, they treat their employees very poor. no holidays off except Christmas day
Do not work here
Traveling Trainer / Replenishment Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78220August 14, 2017
As a former employee they work you into the ground. Work/life balance is complete trash and all they care about is shipping cases out to make their numbers look good. Stay away.
fast pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 14, 2017
cashier, stocking and store straightening and cleaning. need to make sure your money drawer is counted right at the start of your shift and the end of your shift
Pros
flexible
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8