Dollar General
4,799 reviews

Dollar General United States Employee Reviews

Very prodcutive workplace
Third Key Holder/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Flint, MIApril 27, 2015
Pros: Everyone was very friendly, and it was a fast paced working environment
Cons: I was sad to leave there, everyone was like family
I loved working at Dollar General. I set the store up before it opened and working there taught me a lot of things. I was promoted to third key holder within three months of working there and that taught me some great leadership skills.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Berkley, MOApril 27, 2015
Great place to work everyone has a specific duty in order for the store to run correctly. If the head isn't accurate everyone else crumbles. You are as strong as you weakest link.
a teenagers first job will really make your kid want to study hard
former DG rep (Former Employee), griffin ga]]April 27, 2015
Pros: you get to clean a lot
Cons: pay benefits managers
coworkers were ok for the most part
managers usually are day by day not always nice to us it depends on the day,mood,kids etc
THIS JOB SUCKED SO GLAD I LEFT!!!!
EVERYONE IS PART TIME ALSO 14 HOURS A WEEK
Hard work for little pay
Store Manager (Former Employee), Salina, OKApril 27, 2015
Pros: Great Customers
Cons: Long Hours
I would get to work by 6 am and cleaned my store, opened the store, ran the store to the best of what I had. The hours that they gave me for my employees where low where I worked most of the day by myself.
It's a job...
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Spring, TXApril 27, 2015
that's it. really lame customers, usually trashy or ghetto. being a manager there is only 8 bucks, that says a lot. oh and i got robbed there too.
Teenage Workers Think They Are Managers
Associate (Former Employee), St. Augustine, FLApril 26, 2015
Pros: They'll hire anyone
Cons: They'll hire anyone
I brought a wealth of experience to this job. Told the manager if I could have time, I would clean up the dirty store, but that never happened. When working with a teenager I explained I could get a lot done if they would cover the register. Teen told me she was a manager, but she really wasn't (how could she be). She was a key holder, nothing more. I never got the managers phone number after asking for it. Teenager said to tell her what I wanted the manager to know and she would tell me what the manager's response would be. Never worked anywhere that I did not have my manager's phone number.

Hardest part of job was that if you're on the register, you can't stock merchandise, which they expect. But, they want you to do both, which is not possible. Thing is that once you have merchandise in your hand to stock, you have to drop it and check out customers. You can't do both at the same time. No breaks other than lunch and no one tells you that you did a good job.

Enjoyable part was waiting on customers, except kids that come in the store and steal candy and throw a pound of change at the register. And to mention customers who bring things to the register and say, "Oh, I don't want that", regarding merchandise they picked out, and just bring it to you and leave it at the register.

Embarrassing to sell outdated merchandise. For some stock, the providers rotate this such as Pepsi and Coke. But for a lot of items, they come from a central warehouse where the old stock is in the back and the new things are in front. So, if you buy anything that comes from the warehouse, – more... the freshest is in front at the warehouse, but since they don't rotate it, the items behind them are nearly out of date. If you get Twinkies in the store, chances are they will expire in days.

There was a question about the CEO in this. I don't know him or her so I cannot comment. But I can tell you with absolute certainty, that if I were the CEO, I would concentrate less on making cashiers also stocking merchandise and more of store cleanliness and awareness of customers' needs. They appear to be so wrapped up on theft that if they were really concerned, they would hire more people to monitor that situation, rather than tracking losses such as employee theft which in my experience is less than customer theft. They should develop a program of employee awareness to prevent shrinkage from the outside, such as customers and provide tools to employees to porotect their merchandise. – less
Good place to stay busy
West Tawakoni, TX-Assistant Manager (Former Employee), West Tawakoni, TXApril 26, 2015
Pros: busy
Cons: not updated store
Spent most days handling the truck and the remodel of the store. I learned how to understand a planogram. The hardest part is reorganizing the store when it is not up to date. Most enjoyable is that you stayed busy in your job.
Interacting with the customers, and co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Not enough time to finish a task.
A typical day at work is meeting people, seeing the everyday customers and new ones.
What I have leaned, is that we all have a need to be treated with kindness.
Management, is someone who can help teach us to go to the next level, and help us learn, encourage their employees.
My co-workers are fun, we work as a team to get the job done, and we are there with our customers to make to experience great shopping at our store, so they will keep coming back.
The hardest part of the job is, is not enough time in the day to finish a task.
The most enjoyable part of the job, is the people, co-workers, because of make the job enjoyable for all who comes into Dollar General to shop.
great
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brandon, MSApril 25, 2015
I have learned more about management with working closely with the store manager. Its giving more management experience in looking for advancement or another job.
Dollar general
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee), East Point, GAApril 25, 2015
I deposited cash for the day, I monitor the safety of the company, I continue to thrive and develop effective verbal and written communication
good place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Marion, ILApril 25, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: none
Most of the people were great to work with. I loved being assistant manager besides having a jealous employee getting me fired for my job. Lots of hard work but it was enjoyable.
could be fun
Keyholder/Manager (Former Employee), Clarkrange, TNApril 24, 2015
Pros: i was able to move up quickly
Cons: insurance was too exspensive compared to pay
Job was fun and workers got along ,there were hard days but I like staying busy .work shifts were a mix nights and days , Benefits, were few ,Store Manager was Awesome to work for
The pay was bad.....
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Curwensville, PAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Nice coworkers
Cons: PAY IS TERRIBLE
I enjopyed my time at Dollar General. The management was wonderful and everyone was willing to help until I got the hang of things.
productive
Mike Bice (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Zanesville, OHApril 24, 2015
Pros: descent pay
Cons: short hours
learned proper loading techniques, how to work with others in a team oriented environment. Management was trustworthy, could always depend on them to offer assistance
fast paced with a lot of customer connect
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Mount Airy, NCApril 24, 2015
Pros: fast paced and great customers
Cons: pay is not the best, not staffed enough
good,fast paced environment.Great for people that enjoy working with the public.Pay is low to fair for the tasks.Some managers do not accept their duties and put them off on assistants or part timers.
Not a good experinece
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 24, 2015
Pros: Store closed early
Cons: No one wants to take responsibility for their actions in the management departmnet
From management to the employees no one wants to work that's what we get paid to do and when things are going wrong in the store no one wants to take responsibility everybody was blaming everybody
3rd Key Manager (Former Employee), Eddyville, KYApril 23, 2015
Pros: good breaks an management
Cons: a little dirty at times when really busy
the hardest part is unloading the truck an waiting for things to come off the belt while doing so. the best part everything is easy to find.
Productive and enjoyed my customers
Assisant Manager (Former Employee), Milton, WVApril 23, 2015
Pros: easy to move up in positions
Cons: The pay wasnt good
A typical day at work: I go into work and get a till if I am to be on the register or as a backup person on register. For me as an Assistant Mgr. I would be supervising the cashier and overseeing any tasks that needed to be done that day. Most of the time I would be stocking the shelves with the merchandise we had in the receiving room. Some days I would have to set a new mag; which is setting the endcaps to a new display, or maybe having to do a new planogram; redoing a whole section because we have new products and discontinuing others. Almost everyday we have vendors coming in and I would check the merchandise coming in and going out. I learned a lot about managing a store and what it takes to get the job done. Receiving a truck of rolltainers of merchandise and getting it out on the floor in a timely manner, and working with all the employees. I worked well with all my co-workers, each brought there own personality to the job. The hardest part of my job was firing someone. The most enjoyable was all the customers I had met and some became friends. It was nice when a customer came in and was glad to see you.
Hardworking, fast, workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), sm'ithfield, VAApril 23, 2015
The typical day is fast paced from the time you walk in the door. The management is ok. there are a few unorganized people who do not know what they are doing. co-workers all get along well except for the boss who constantly talks about people. The cashiers do all of the work at closing time. The pay doesn't match the work.
Productive fun pace
Cashier (Current Employee), Red Springs North CarolinaApril 23, 2015
In a typical day at work I greet customers and cash them out when needed. Overall the place is in good standing with me. I learned that great customer service is everything at a retail store.

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more

Dollar General Salaries