4,327 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

Enjoyed my co workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort White, FLJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: the people were friendly
Cons: manager wasnt very nice
Manager needed better people skills. Store was always cleaned I always came in on my days off when needed. I enjoyed my customers and my co workers
Fun workplace
Store Set-Up Helper (Former Employee), Gouverneur, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: overall just a fun job
I didn't get a chance to learn too much about the company as I was only hired for temporary help. We unloaded truck, set up shelves and stocked merchandise.
High paced and busy environment
Assistant Costume Designer (Current Employee), Chatsworth, GaJanuary 19, 2015
A typical day of work consists of me arriving at least 10 minutes before my shift, and immediately being put to work. I would first count my till to ensure that it is $200, and then I start ringing up costumers. I typically work 8 hours so I would stand on my feet for the entire time. When I do not have costumers I straighten up my sections. At the end of the night I count my till down and clean the store before leaving.
loved the locations and my my co-workers and manager
Stocker (Former Employee), Camby, INJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: good work and good pay
Cons: n/a
dollar general was a great job, my manager was patient nice, if i didn't understand anything she always made sure that things was explained and understood. my co-workers was just awesome.
Too much
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Bern, NCJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: 1 hour lunch
Cons: no 15 minute breaks, smokers constantly went outside
You were looked at to do both cashiering, stocking the shelves and handling customer services. It was very stressful and not a lot of fun.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Madison, WVJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: working 70-80 hours a week
Go in at 7:00 am count petty cash and get tills ready for the day. Update all paper work from the day before. Open the store at 8:00 am. I love working with the public.
productive and fun
Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: meeting new people everyday
Cons: never being trained on all paper work to move up.
I have opened and closed the store. The most enjoyable part getting to know lots of new people on a daily base. I enjoyed learning new this. The hardest part was leaning every about a cash register.
It was good for my first job!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bruce, MSJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: people sometimes
Cons: did not help me enough
It was good for my first job like I stated above. It was alright but I didn't like when my managers would just left me all alone in the front working and they would be in the break room all together.
successful
Sales Associate, Seasonal Position (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 17, 2015
I have learned so much from my job experiences like good and proper customer service, stocking, inventory control, merchandise review, patience, work with others, team player, great organizer...
Fast-paced and productive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Westwego, LAJanuary 17, 2015
A typical work day at Dollar General involves interacting with customers to ensure an enjoyable shopping experience that meets their needs. I've learned several new skills such as how to be an effective cashier, how to properly stock merchandise, what to do in case of emergencies, etc. As it is with any company, the management positions at Dollar General requires extensive training and knowledge in order to maintain store operations on a daily basis.
The most difficult task is being able effective manage time between customer assistance, replenishing merchandise, completing sales transactions, etc.
good job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, KYJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: people
good job for a seasonal job during the christmas season. the mannager were good at the job they did
no hours and losy pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Millen, Ga 30442January 17, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: no schedule set, no training
after 2 months, I only have about at most 8 hours total. I keep calling for my schedule but don't get through. they say call back tomorrow. I call back and get delayed other day.
Cashier
Cashier, PT (Former Employee), Sunbury, PAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: learning how to work a cash register.
Cons: part time position
Checking customers out and stocking shelves. I learned how to operate a cash register. My co-workers and I got along well. The hardest part about my job was trying to stock shelves and have a customer waiting to be checked out.
Productive and fast paced.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Enfield, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: eating
Cons: short breaks
As a ex-coworker for Dollar General, I loved my job. I always looked forward to going to work as scheduled. I enjoyed working with my co-workers on the job. They were very positive and friendly. I enjoyed greeting customers and providing them with care. I was very attentive at my job. I payed closely attention to my duties and effectively got the job done. A typical day at work would include handling money, stocking merchandise and providing customer service to customers as needed. I enjoyed listening to the music the manger would play in the store. The music was relaxing and calming. I really enjoyed working with Dollar General and my co-workers.
Semi- Busy
Cashier (Current Employee), Orangeburg, SCJanuary 16, 2015
Working for Dollar General is a steady flow work place. You deal with many diverse people and situations. With each day you learn more and more about customer service.
NIce people and wonderful customers
cashier (Former Employee), addison, TXJanuary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Dollar General. The manager and other employees were great. The wonderful customers were awesome as well.
I enjoyed working here.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Monroe, LAJanuary 16, 2015
Counting money, assisting customers with exchanges, assist cashiers with money changes and drops. Also had to have begin and end of day reports
Busy, stable job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Somerset Center, MIJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: hours fly by, always something to do
Cons: sales associates unable to do anything besides basic ringing on register.
Arrive early morning hours (6:00-8:00) and put out stock for the day. Continue to do stock until opening. Upon opening, juggle running the register and stock until noon. Leave between noon and 2:00. Do mandatory fridge checks every two hours.
enoyed my job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Siler City, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Love working with the public. I learned the ends and outs of management first hand. Hands on experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Milford, INJanuary 15, 2015
In a typical day I would be at that register most times but I would also be moving around the store stocking the shelves or recovering the shelves as well.
I learned how to stay on top of things and how to manage my time more wisely in ways to get things done or when to get them done.
My co-workers were nice and friendly and mostly helpful if you didn't know something but I generally caught on quickly to things.
There really wasn't a hard part to the job.
I enjoyed dealing with the people, most were very nice and great be around. Generally we had the same customers coming in everyday for small things in that town.

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more