Dollar General Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,988 reviews matching the search
Great workplace and the job duties are so versatile that you will be prepared to work for any company.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, GAAugust 18, 2016
Overall I enjoyed the job and it was a great experience. The only thing that came as a challenge was balacing out school and a social life, since the hours are demanding.
Basic part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McComb MsAugust 18, 2016
I started here stocking while in school.. Basic Part time job.. Management was good.. The Co workers were good they were what made the day go by
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Horrible Managment not comfortable workspace
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALAugust 18, 2016
Everyday gets more frustrating, Co workers would not complete their Job and other individuals would have to fix the co workers mess on top of what you are supposed to do.
Pros
Manager was nice
Cons
Just to ask you for personal things
Lead Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Converse, TXAugust 18, 2016
Always something to do, never a still moment. Customers can be very nice at times or the opposite. Would work there again.
Unprofessional Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bellwood, PAAugust 18, 2016
There were only ever two or three employees in the store and everyone talked about each other behind each other's back. It was ridiculous. There were no short breaks, only 30 minute breaks if your shift was longer than six hours. The managers always got plenty of smoke breaks, though.
Dollar General
Cashier/ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, AZ 86413August 18, 2016
Dollar General was a good company to work for. The management was good. A typical day was running the cash register and stocking the shelves. The hardest part of the job was making sure the customer got the right change back.
move up fast
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleview, FLAugust 18, 2016
I liked that I became manager quickly but it was a lot for one person to do. They gave you things to do in one day that needed at least 3 people,
not a good place to work if your looking for good pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 18, 2016
great products to shop from but not a good place to work if you are supporting a family the hrs are often slim (full time 32 or less) and the pay can be rather minimum for too hard of work with little or no support from other employees every one there is under payed for the work they do , better off working for wall-mart
Pros
it's a job
Cons
pay is under welming for work done
Most definitely my kind of work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 18, 2016
I ran cashier help unload truck, stocked shelves, i opened an have closed...i really did enjoy working here at dollar general...i moved out of state othwr wise i would stil be there...
Dollar General Needs to Come Up Off Some of Its Dollars
Sales Associate (glorified cashier). (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2016
I've experienced Dollar General as a shopper and as an employee and I don't know which is more frustrating.\

As a shopper, I wait for an employee to notice I'm standing at the counter, because DG is too freakin cheap to hire someone to stock and recover shelves...so the cashier can put the customer first.

As an employee, I'm frustrated because I'm supposed to "put the customer first," but if I don't get my shelves stocked and recovered I'm a loser.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
DG better figure out its priorities.
Plenty of job security, but they will work you to death if given the chance.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Blairsville, GAAugust 17, 2016
Working at the Dollar General had its ups and downs just like all jobs. It's a great job if you don't get into management. Gives you gas station hours to make a schedule, and expects it to be run like a grocery store.
Over worked for hours given to produce good working enviroment for co workers and customers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mims, FLAugust 17, 2016
Feel like management does not give enough credit for the hard working managers and associates to keep a productive workforce.
More payroll would give associates and managers a better workplace for customers to shop and better customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job is the great customers we get to help and to make their day better. If cooperate would figure out that making a customer happy by providing them with good customer service like they preach is only possible by providing payroll to have staff available to help the customer. While working 3 to 4 hours a day with only 1 staff member is not sufficient to help customers, work register,r check in vendors stock product and set new sets and planogram etc..
stressful
Store Manager, Corporate (Former Employee) –  Benton, ILAugust 17, 2016
The workplace is very stressful. Their company polices are very shallow and not able to be understood. They promote you and don't give you the proper training to complete the job.
Cons
Not a bad place to start out
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Zebulon, NCAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work is productive. I've learned how to have a lot patience. The work is easy if you plan out your day and take your time. Around the holidays can be tough because that's when it's the most busy. Being the assistant manager was nice. Its a laid back job. You do the same thing as the cashiers really. The hardest part is dealing with some of the customers. That just takes time to get use to. Even though the the customers can be the hardest, some of them can be the best and make your day. Its a good job to start with but the only way to make a living is to be a store manager or higher. You can't make a living being the assistant or anything less.
Cons
No paid vaction if you are not full time regardless of how long you been there.
Good as a transition job only.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jasper, ALAugust 17, 2016
Dollar General is very true to its reputation as being a terrible company to work for. Management and senior employees are extremely rude to new hires and seem resentful of the fact they work there. This attitude is worse toward those that are attempting to better themselves through education or other means. Customers can also be rude on a regular bases. Store/bathrooms are always dirty. There is a serious lack of direction at this company. absolutely no room for advancement. Would note recommend any store position to anyone that isn't using it to work though collage.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, extremely low pay, list goes on.
Terrible company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gleason, TNAugust 17, 2016
The pay isn't worth the headache and time away from your family. District Manager and up are completely clueless about what it takes to actually run a store. Corporate expects you to move mountains, but doesn't give you enough payroll to even keep your store staffed, much less actually get everything done that they expect.

It's absolutely insane they expect you to run a store for them, while having you there by yourself in the mornings for hours at a time because they won't give you payroll to staff your store.

They only care about how much money they can make, and they're not afraid to make money at the expense of the employees.
Pros
Health Insurance was really good
Cons
Everything else you can possibly imagine
Productive and Potential, Challenging Environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lou kyAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work from my past job was Opening the Store, making sure everything is running functionally. Counting the drawers for registers to start the day. Making sure employees were on task to start the day.
I was a part time assistant manager. I learned something new almost every day. The hardest part of the job was just making sure all my employees were on time and showing up. Retail can be frustrating with attendance. But always had backup.
I enjoyed making the customers happy
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, LAAugust 17, 2016
I like retail. I loved my managers. I liked working with customers. I like the fast pace of retail. The people were great. The fellow employees were great.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
Simple fun job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 17, 2016
I really enjoyed working there, the job was just the right tempo for me. Sometimes it got busy, but that just made the day go by so much faster. The job only required stocking the store and assisting the customer.
Great People
3rd Key Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 17, 2016
The store in which I worked was a wonderful place. Everyone I worked with made me feel like family and we would look out for each other. Any issues and there would be help to answer any questions and resolve the problem encountered.

2.8