Dollar General

5.5K reviews

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Enviroment that was both challeging and rewarding
Store Manager (Former Employee), Riverdale, GaAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: working with limited resources
Arrived early morning to implement cashing handling and set Store up to open, gained valuable experience in finance, organization and people skills, learned to interact with people of all background and life's situations. Taught me to recruit valuable resources, in a sometime limited pool of people. Learn to motivate, teach and use the strength of people I supervised. Learned valuable merchandising skills.
not a great place to work
sales associate (Former Employee), ocala flAugust 17, 2015
at this job i have worked so hard to help with the manager to complete dead lines. A lack of support and the micromanagement is just to much.
Dollar general
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dibble, OKAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: No lunch breaks not enough money
I did a lot of work. Management was good. The hardest part was not getting breaks. I didn't get to eat lunch for a while., I didn't have a good schedule.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bangor, PAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: awesome place to work
Cons: scheduled you back to back, night then morning
great place for advancement, management was nice, clean work environment, fun and fast paced, keeps you busy and happy, would work there again
Great place for a retail newbie.
Key Carrier (Former Employee), Appleton, WIAugust 17, 2015
Working at Dollar General requires a large set of skills, luckily they're willing to train people with no experience. You can move up fairly quickly there. Unfortunately there's a rather high turnover rate, and if you stick around long enough you'll find that you're working with a whole new set of people than you started with.
Good Place to work
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee), Humboldt kansas/ ottawa kansasAugust 17, 2015
Pros: good place to work
Cons: dont really care about doing what they say they are going to do
I worked in the Humboldt Kansas Store for just six weeks. Then I transferred to the Ottawa South Dollar Store was promised full time and a raise, didn't get and was also going to go to the gardner store as an assistant manager but didn't get any of it so I quit.
Productive and friendly work place
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2015
Work days were mostly the same. You might have a special display to set up for the week. Helping out the customers really made the day go by. Truck days were the days that we worked the hardest.
Unprofessional work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Clinton, IAAugust 17, 2015
Cons: Unprofessional
I was responsible for stocking shelves and running the cash register. While working here I never received any paycheck which lead to me quieting, and when i tried contacting the company i never talked to anyone who could help me. Very unprofessional work place.
Best job ever. pay wasnt great but the days were.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Polk City, FLAugust 17, 2015
Pros: good breaks
Cons: none
Everyday was like seeing friends, the staff and customers were Superior to many other jobs, had an excellent training from the staff, best job ever.
Enjoyed the experience.
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee), Columbus, MSAugust 16, 2015
Really enjoyed working for them , learned alot while i was there. i enjoyed working with the public , and helping people.
Productive and responsible work place
Sales associte (Former Employee), 1110 N newyork aveAugust 16, 2015
Pros: exceptional work environtment
Cons: work ethics can falter per store location
A typical day at dollar general consisted of preparing the store for an awesome work day starting with counting the tills & setting up the first shift register, pulling the outside merchandise for the front of the store & continually stocking the front end of the store while working the register. this typically continues throughout the day until about 6 pm when the cashier on duty is tasked with store recovery which implies that he or she must pull items forward / fix item facings in their pre designated store space (cashier is given a set number of aisles to fix each night
Manager
Manager (Former Employee), Perryville, ARAugust 16, 2015
Ok place to work, but they set you up for failure, by asking to much out of the manager. They do not give you enough labor hours to schedule the help needed to keep the store maintained the way it should be. Other than having to work 60-80 hours a week, I enjoyed my job
Associate (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Learning new things
Cons: Management
On a typical day management seemed to dictate the entire team and only want to control their employees opposed to making it a family like environment and focusing on making the store better as a whole.
Great company with excellent values
Licensing Specialist (Current Employee), Goodlettsville, TNAugust 15, 2015
Working in the licensing department is busy and offers a lot of learning opportunities. A good multi faceted and fast growing company.
Could have been better.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Saugerties NYAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Very nice people to work with.
Cons: Left by yourself to run register and stock shelves, Have to mop whole store on your second day of working there.
My first day working I was taught how to run register for about 15 minutes then I was left to run register by myself. I had to run back and forth through the store stocking shelves and ringing up customers on the register. The third day I was transferred to another location (not that far but still) where I pretty much was alone in the store having to ring up customers and also go around and tidy up the store. When I went back to my main store another employee had to mop the store since I did it the day before, but she was texting and talking on her phone so much she made me mop the entire store even though I just went around with an entire cart of shop backs. They also had me doing full-time hours when I was written down as part-time.
Decent Job
Store Manager (Former Employee), GuthrieAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Advancement, Benefits, Job Security
Cons: Management, Pay
As a Sales Rep its pretty easy work. You stock merchandise and you ring out customers. As a manager on the other hand it is a very grueling yet rewarding job. The company does not provide enough hours or pay for its entry level positions so you are constantly having to hire and train new employees as most do not stick around very long due to the lack of pay and hours recieved. All tasks must be completed by set due dates though so the responsabilty falls onto the management, which is a salaried position. As a store manager I averaged 80 hours a week keeping up with all the frieght, planograms, and general maintainace of the store since overtime was not allowed except on extreme circumstances.
Busy retail Environment / Meeting People
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), New Waverly, TxAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Learning about many different products / helping customers
Cons: very long hours, extensive focus on loss preventions /
Overall a good company, offers many products and services to its customers.

Company offers low wages and hard to maintain staffing.

Most enjoyable was helping customers during the shopping experience.
Fun place to work at because of the great sense of humor that we all have.
Cashier (Current Employee), Sparta, MOAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Flexiable schedule
Cons: not enough hours
Good envirorment and good employees to work with. Clocking and counting drawer, finding out what projects need done. My manager is a great person to work with, she is easy going and likes to get things done. The hardest part of the job is putting truck away. my ost enjoable part of the job is putting a smile on a customers face. My over all rating is 5 stars.
Most unorganized job experience I've had
Sales Lead (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDAugust 14, 2015
Very unorganized, unwelcoming, unpleasant work environment. Management all the way up to the DM was very unprofessional and dishonest
Not the right place for me
Lead Sale associate Ft/Key Holder (Former Employee), Lee, NHAugust 14, 2015
Pros: pay and hours
Cons: co works with no sale expierance.
8 hour day, sales, receiving, cash deposit, cleaning, stocking.customer service, phone calls.opening or closing. store management not capable of fairness,all cashier employees too young no experience.hardest part lack of training always got the short end of the stick. the customers were the most enjoyable part of work.
Headquarters