Dollar General
3,453 reviews

Dollar General Employer Reviews

DOLLAR GENERAL IS A REALLY TOUGH JOB TO UNDERTAKE.
Assistant manager (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALJuly 13, 2014
A person really has to be the perfect person to deal with the extreme differences of customers. You must love what you do , as it is an extremely fast paced job, mo matter what position you hold.I was on the road with Dollar General off and on since 2004,I am currently in Store #1484--due to the fact the team,Smart Team, was did banded, at present.
Over work and severely underpaid
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Montpilier, LAJuly 13, 2014
Pros: paid every week
Cons: no benefits, electronics constantly break
Typical day as a Manager starts with opening the store at 8 am by your lonesome until 10 am sometimes later. Many days registers, scanners, or handheld devices did not work properly. After hours on the phone with ERC the company will send the store a "new" replacement device. This "new" device will most likely give you more problems than the older one. – more... This issue makes checking-in vendors and checking-out customers a continuous game of hit or miss.
Depending on the local environment, you may have to deal with early bird specialist. From children to adults the morning time is a breeding ground for thief and puts employees at high risk of becoming a victim of a robbery.
Within the pass year hours are being constantly being cut. This results in employees having to look elsewhere for a second job and benefits are out of the question if you have children. In 2012, I worked Baton Rouge and typically received 35-38 hours a week and recommended to fill in a other stores. Relocated to a rural area in 2013-14 was paid a dollar less per hour and usually scheduled for 17-20 hours per week to fill the same position.
The few positives were I earned my Master's Degree with little stress from work, built close relationships within the local school system through coaching and substitute teaching, and I was paid weekly. – less
retail
ASSISTANT MANGER (Former Employee), huntsville alJuly 13, 2014
great company. low pay. stable work. enjoyed the laidbackness of the job.employees were like family.
great team work
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Waco, TXJuly 12, 2014
Pros: sinority
Cons: long hours
A typical day consist of opening and closing the store, customer service duties and monitoring employees.
I leaned how to be more dependable.
Management was a great example for me.
My co-workers were loyal and great team players.
The hardest part of my job was public speaking.
The most enjoyable part of my job was leaning new things.
Better than no job at all. Barely.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Greenville, SCJuly 12, 2014
Pros: it's a paycheck.
Cons: over worked, under paid, no support from district management or above. poor training.
I would not recommend this company to anyone based on my experiences here. Training is practically non-existent, pay is extremely poor. Employee turnover is very high.
It is a slow work enviroment. Not much challenge, but fun
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee), Montgomery, WVJuly 12, 2014
Pros: 401k
Cons: not enough hours
A typical work day at Dollar General is usually fun, the customers are friendly. Management is excellent gives direct orders so you know exactly what they want done. Management also works beside you. My Coworkers are fun to work with but they get there job done. There really isn't a hard task at the Dollar Store, I enjoy going to work everyday day.
dollar general
Sales Associate (Former Employee), cordova tnJuly 12, 2014
dollar general is a good place to work as well as a great experience.
Company growing .. great room for advancement
District Manager (Former Employee), Delta, MSJuly 11, 2014
Pros: good chance for advancement
Cons: work/life balance
District managers job was ok but store managers were overworked. Company to tight on store payroll.
Productive and fast paced retail environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 11, 2014
A typical day consisted of cashing out customers, providing merchandise returns, answering phone calls, receiving truck shipments, setting up displays in store, etc. While at Dollar General I learned how to run an entire store smoothly with a very short staff. My co-workers were diligent and for the most part ready to get the job done no matter how – more... large the task. I was able to work under the best management ever and I will be forever grateful for the opportunity. The hardest part of the job was to put out truck delivery items in a timely fashion and recover the store at the same time. In my opinion the most enjoyable part of the job was the completion of the truck deliveries we received every week. – less
Cool
Assistant Manager/ Interim Manager (Former Employee), Fordyce, ARJuly 11, 2014
good room for advancement dueto high turnover,constant pain from some employees and customers
Not a good place to work if you plan on being an assistant or key
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), McDonald, PAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: friendly and hard working coworkers
Cons: no personal life, low pay and hours
I started out as a key holder. I was promoted to assistant manager after not even a year and the manager left because the dm drove them away. After the manager left i was working every day sometimes 16 hours because I did not have the security level in the computer to hire employees and the dm put it off. Anytime you have returns or voids you are accused – more... of being a thief. We were very short staffed and tight on hours without a manager and upper management could not understand why we fell behind.I had only been working with dg for about 5 months and was running the store since we were lacking a manager. Once the manager started i closed every shift working until 1030 pm not getting home until 11pm. I had no personal life because of all the closing shifts and became very unhappy. Payroll was also very low so my paychecks made it hard to pay bills and make a living with the hours i was given. – less
Well organized, clean, and welcoming workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Arkadelphia, ARJuly 11, 2014
An overall great place to work. The managers were all very helpful and friendly, and the store was extremely well-kept.
Disposable
Field Management (Former Employee), Goodlettsville, TNJuly 11, 2014
Pros: multiple years of bonuses
Cons: fearful environment. darned if you do and darned if you don't
Although I stayed a good number of years,and every other year seemed to have a caring supervisor, the culture was one of fear.

More about what couldn't be done, versus what could. LONG hours expected.

Much moving around in positions and locations. Promised one thing, reality another.

Cal Turner would be rolling in his grave if he knew what' happened – more... to his company.

Wish them luck. – less
Home bound atmosphere.
Sale Associate (Former Employee), Farrell, PAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: morning weekends breakfast.
Cons: little opportunity of growth as of careers.
The manager their made it a great place to work; for she understood, and helped others who was willing to help themselves.
for all the work that has to be done you need higher pay and more labor hours.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Weirton, WVJuly 9, 2014
cuts hours too much especially when we are busy then people complain about there only being one cashier. its hard to have more when you don't have enough hours to spread.
Retail Position
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), North Apollo, PAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: fairly easy paced job
Cons: didnt pay enough
I would stock shelves, receive truck delivery, help the cashier, get deposit ready, balance drawers
Ran a typical store and work with the public
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Shinnston, WVJuly 9, 2014
open store. waited on customers, unload trucks, stocked shelves. did paper work, ran cash register, The most enjoyable thing was I enjoyed the older customers and there stories.
productive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: non
I had a great time working here. I had to leave due to relocated
awesome
3rd key (Former Employee), Silvis, ILJuly 9, 2014
awesome place to work for great employers and enjoyed the public and my job
typical retail environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Brockway, PAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: family like relationship with employees
Cons: they could do more for employees
My Best memories of this job was my Employees they are a great group very hard working

About Dollar General

Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation is the nation’s largest small-box discount retailer. We make shopping – Read more