Dollar General Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun Work Environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Harrison, MIDecember 11, 2017
Working at Dollar General in Harrison Michigan, is a pretty great place to work. It is a very good learning experience as to retail and the people one would have to deal with on a daily basis.
Not the greatest
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Colbert, OK, Achille, OK, Denison, TxDecember 11, 2017
poor managed . could care less about their employees just get the product worked. managers make constant remark s that are what outside guidelines and nothing happens to them but the employee gets in trouble.
Not provided what was promised
Store Manager Candidate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 11, 2017
Chaotic, constant changing of plans. Never know what to expect or if you can expect anything at all - except for your store to be robbed - Guarantee of safety is minimal. Pay scale is on the low end and all over the board with each position. Requires a lot but gives little. Corporate doesn't seem to want to invest back into itself to minimize theft and robbery. Makes no sense. no quality training.
Pros
room for advancement because they cant seem to keep positions filled
Your Typical Job
Cashier/Stocker/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 11, 2017
The job wasn't hard at all. You deal with all kinds of people. I worked stock, cash register, and floor. Management position so I was also in charge of inventory
Poor management
Retail Management (Former Employee) –  Millersburg, OHDecember 11, 2017
would not recommend working here if you expect to have any type of family life, hours are terrible, stores are very poorly staffed and upper management only cares about profit
Pros
Cons
Poor management, staffing and pay
It was by far the worst job ever.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watts, OKDecember 11, 2017
I understand that each dollar General is different but i wouldn't recommend anyone to work there, it is a horrible place to work and their managers have no idea what real management skills are
Pros
Nothing, i never got beaks
Cons
Way too.much to list
Fast-paced, very stressful, no real breaks
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Medicine Park, OKDecember 10, 2017
This job is so stressful. If you are a manager, you do not get actual breaks and are not even allowed to leave the store. The hours are awfully inconsistent - you go from working 10-11 hour days to 4-hour shifts. They often expect you to close the store then open it the next morning. You are always exhausted and stressed out, and if you ever get a day off they are blowing up your cell phone asking you to cover shifts at other stores. Great job at first, but it really wears you down after a while. Not a job I would want to do long-term.
Pros
Pay above min wage, health insurance
Cons
Many interruptions during break, expected to work off the clock, stressful environment
no benefits
PT Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 10, 2017
I personally would never choose to work at DG again, no pay-raises, only $8 an hour, didn't like the idea of working at several different locations besides the store I was hired at
dollar general
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Flushing, MIDecember 10, 2017
A typical day of work at dollar general is not that bad I just want to move on and experience something different outside of retail. I've learned how to supervise others and make the work environment better. The hardest part of the job would probably be making the customers happy but i try my best to keep them wanting to come back. Honestly my coworkers are the ones who help me enjoy my job because we have grown a bond.
Messy
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  idkDecember 10, 2017
no structure, management was new but still not new to retail, the store was always a mess. I learned that people are going to be people and that's that.

Want to know more about Dollar General?

Ask a question
Dont spend your life in here!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 10, 2017
This job can only be a second job they dont give enough hours, low salary if you plan to work in here to survive look something else. You can't pay rent, bills, and food with that salary.
Pros
Cons
Rude customers, not enough hours, low pay.
Great Atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Choctaw, OKDecember 10, 2017
I loved working here, friendly people & coworkers, not so great hours & rate of pay & no store discounts.
flexible scheduling & awesome managers!!
Would definitely work here again
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
no store discounts, rate of pay, hours per week
Slow paced, relaxed retail environment
General worker (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORDecember 10, 2017
I worked as a stockboy and cashier and closed occasionally. It was slow and relaxed in a small town. The managers were nice and I only had about 3 other coworkers.
Pros
Calm, good hours, nice people
Cons
Too demanding
Workplace
LEAD CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLDecember 10, 2017
Is not a bad place to work cool customers, the Dm just try to work you for a lil bit of nothing. Hardest part about the job is when they want you to stock the shelves and work the register.
Pros
good manager
Cons
shortbreaks, pay, hours
A good place to work if you just need EXTRA cash on the side
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 10, 2017
The pay is not good and they only gave me a 50 cent raise in the 2 yrs that I have been there. Also they give no more than 25 hours even if full-time.
great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Smyrna Beach, FLDecember 10, 2017
work at this company is quick and you have to be on your p's and q's
management is great , workplace is good environment the hardest part of the job was making sure that the stock is being put out on a timely bases
Pros
great environment
Cons
no benefits
The higher ups are the problem.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSDecember 10, 2017
I didn't mind working at DG, my manager was fun, and the work, though tough at times, wasn't too much. The district managers were my main turn off. They expected far more from everyone in the store than anyone could handle. That is why staff is constantly changing there, they rotate them like stock.
Pros
Somewhat Fun
Cons
Bad District managers
Corporate Greed
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Mountain Top, PADecember 10, 2017
I've worked in retail at a place like this before so I thought I knew what to expect but the final straw for me was that they expect you to work long shifts (extended store hours) on holidays and don't give time and a half (no holiday pay) as well as not providing even a benefit option for the part-time employees. Management was absolutely awful where I worked, so it could be better, but Dollar General as a corporation is failing their employees. They also require you to take an hour lunch when you work longer than 7 hours (so they don't have to pay you as much) and most employees end up working on the second half of their lunch. I was once told that I would have to meet up with another associate on my time off because I had to share my store keys, so a lot of illegal activity goes on here and they will take advantage of you, if you're the type of person that doesn't/can't say no.
Cons
A lot of illegal activity
Better off working for another retailer
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2017
Dollar General is just a miserable place to work, overall. Lousy environment, lousy pay, lousy hours. Just consider it a "holdover" job before you get a job that pays your worth.
Pros
Easy job to obtain
Cons
Not great on pay or hours.
Why i disliked Dollar General.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hackleburg, ALDecember 10, 2017
I had duties as a cashier that had nothing to do with my job. Such as cleaning bathrooms when we had a janitor to do that as well as take out the trash. I was also 4 months pregnant while i worked there and was told by my doctor that i was not to lift over 20 lbs and Dollar General made me lift anywhere from 35-40 lbs at a time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7