Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc.

Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Fast-paced, ever changing
OPERATIONS MANAGER - Car Rental Operations (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 21, 2015
No two days are ever the same Each day, I assess the situation first: how many reservations there are, how many cars we have to clean to get through the day, how many employees I have at the counter, which specialty vehicles I need up first, etc. Then, I plan accordingly and communicate my plan to the employees.

Management has taught me, above all else, how to look beyond today and tomorrow. Forecasting and planning are extremely important. I've learned to look at the 'bigger picture', as it were.

I've been with the company for a very long time and my co-workers and managers are all family. This is the type of company that most people don't leave, so we've all known one another for a very long time. We have built a culture of respect and working hard to keep things flowing.

The hardest part of the job is daily compromise. Most days, I come in, playing 'catch up', and I don't have what I need in order to make the customers happy, so it is necessary to do everything in my power to please every single customer that I have to explain that I don't quite have what they need. It's disheartening when you don't have what the customer is expecting.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing how to roll with the punches and handle anything that comes up. I'm good at what I do and each time I solve a problem, it makes me smile.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Expensive insurance policy
Steady job but nothing else
Counter Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 26, 2014
There's virtually no promotions possible even though I was teased with one no less than three times in a year. Pay is low but it's typically full time hours. There are NO raises at this location, their excuse being the "bonus" program makes up for that. Except the bonus program is made in a way so that it rarely pays out. Example: Sell something and it counts towards commission, if you fail to sell to the next customer in line, it not only means no commission on that sale, it cancels out your previous one (on paper anyway). I've made this location in excess of 3,000 in add-on sales in a month (without even trying to) and still received $0 in commission payout because of the way its structured. The franchise still makes money, they just don't share it.
Pros
good hours, light/flexible work work
Cons
laughable "bonus" program, no promotions or raises, low pay and worst hours of the area.
Exciting place to meet new people with several oppurtunities to progress
Staff Assistant / Payroll (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 12, 2013
Arrive every morning at 8:00 to begin verifying previous day hours. I also meet with managers to discuss agents indivisual hours and ways to improve skills in Kronos. Both co workers and management are enjoyable to work with and are very helpful on a daily basis. I like being a part of the team and being able to help all agents with questions to their hours or any benefits they may need help with. I get great satisfaction from the agents appreciating what I do for them. Dollar Thrifty has been a great place to work and I have enjoyed what I have learned.
Pros
being able to address issues with my children if they occur.
Cons
some managers not being as flexible as others in being able to help the employee
Amazing Company
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh International AirportSeptember 15, 2015
Absolutely fantastic place to work as long as you can handle customer service and the elements. Being a rental sales agent was stressful as there was a sales quota to meet monthly, but the commission platform was fair.
Working on the ready line as a return agent can be hectic because you'll need to inspect the vehicles of returning customers for damage and have them fill out the appropriate paper work in the event of finding undocumented damage even if they say they were not responsible. This will still be expected of you during the rush hours when multiple customers are returning at once and waiting to catch a flight.
Pros
You'll get lots of paid time off and they are very liberal with approving requests for days off.
Cons
The stress of a customer service and sales position in one job
Fun place to work, Excellent staff, Great shift
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WANovember 13, 2013
I did enjoy working for the Dollar/Thrifty Group and learned a lot of great skills that I Will be able to use in future employment opportunities such as resolving customer concerns and organizational skills. The management team was fun to work with, but I felt could have been more available to address employees concerns and so forth. I also enjoyed the folks I worked beside and had a great time getting to know each and every one of them.
The hardest part of the job would be working outside during the winter months, but it had to be done.
Pros
getting to work at other locations, employee benifits, holiday parties
Cons
unpaid breaks, equipment failure, pay
Vroom Vroom
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 4, 2015
Thrifty purchased the small Bay Area company I was working for. They provide quality vehicles for a bargain. The job ebbs and flows from fast paced to sleepy, but can be very fun.
Pros
great location, good people
Cons
long hours, compensation
Not a good place to work
Rental Sales (Former Employee) –  Kahului AirportAugust 14, 2013
Unfortunately, Dollar Thrifty Hertz is no longer a very positive or upwardly mobile place to work. Super stressful. The minimum requirements to keep your job is pretty high. You are dealing with 2 brands at this location. Dollar and Thrifty. And both brands have minimum targets you have to hit in order to keep your job.
If you are struggling on the Thrifty side and you are passing on the Dollar side or visa versa, your job is still in jeopardy. To make matters worse, you have no control over how many dollar or thrifty brand contracts you do because they have combined both brands under one roof. So you may not process enough contracts of either brand to pass your core yield for the month. they took the incentive away for selling the collision damage waiver, raised the price of the minimum coverage by $10, and still expect the agents to comply by selling it or their job is in jeopardy. Have fun with this one guys.
Pros
medical and visionn is pretty good
Cons
highly toxic and stressful environment
helping people from different areas of world
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 13, 2016
I enjoyed meeting and helping people from different states and countries. It always made the job interesting. It was not a difficult job.
Productive and busy environment with customers from all over the world
Field Staff (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2013
Typical day at work is usually busy and fast paced making sure best service is provided to customers. Flow of business requires multiple individuals to be involved in just 1 part of production and team work is very important. With that being said, as long as every individual does what they are supposed to do then there should be less strain on the team, less stress on individuals, resulting into a productive day.
Pros
discounted car rentals, benefits such as 401k and healthcare
Cons
relationship between management and subordinate needs better binding

Comment – April 23, 2013

Hi. Im attending an upcoming job fair Dollar is having at the LAX location. Since its a job fair there will be tons of people there. Are there lots of positions open? Or do they only need 1 or 2 people? Do you know? And also what are the wages like?

Great job!
Roadside Agent/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJanuary 8, 2016
Very good atmosphere, worked overnights, good training, good people to work with and work for.
Enjoyed each night working there!
I learned a lot about communicating and understanding customers needs.
Unbelievably fast paced, money making environment
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Revere, MAAugust 10, 2012
A typical day at work entailed renting vehicles. We processed between 50 and 600 reservations per shift. Reports constantly had to be maintained, and sales goals consistently met. I learned that even though optional additional services are important to sell, customer satisfaction and retention was more important. The management at Thrifty was very difficult to handle. There were two to four managers on at any given time, and they all had different ideas of how to do one thing. I often found it very confusing and stuck close to the manager with the most authority, experience and competance. My co-workers were very supportive, as we all shared the same environment. The hardest part of the job was figuring out which manager to listen to and which one would not throw you under the bus, and the most enjoyable part was the customers.
Pros
high commision, oppurtunities for overtime and overtime commision, meeting all kinds of people from all over the world.
Cons
horrible benefits, managers on all different pages, low base pay, tough travel customers.
transition
Admin Assistant / Counter Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  corpus christiOctober 15, 2014
going through transition is not good, being bought out and the constant change and not know what the change is for or about is not the way you want to go to work everyday I love my management team and my co-workers great group of folks. the hardest part of my job is I'm doing my job along with other jobs until whenever the transition is complete
Pros
benefits, co-workers
Cons
schedules
Hard worker and having fun with a team
Lead CSR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2013
Helping customers and overseeing the operations at the counter. Meeting sales quotas on a monthly basis and helping others to achieve theres. Learning more about team building and how to help the moral of a company. I enjoyed my co workers and enjoy working with others as they are part of our success and growth. Having to turn away customers because the did not meet the companies qualifications was the toughest, I like to be able to help people. Meeting new people or customers was something i enjoyed very much because I am outgoing person and like talking with others.
Pros
commission, benefits and 41k
Cons
open 24hrs
Great for a starting job
Express Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Great learning experience
Managers were always looking for ways to help the employees
Great location around the airport the tips were always great
Productive work place
Specialty Agent (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKOctober 6, 2015
Interesting, yet productive work place with supportive co-workers. Decent amount of management, but quite a few call-ins, but expected with larger company. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside of my colleagues, and assisting customer's in need.
Very sales driven
FINANCIAL ANALYST U.S. MAINLAND AND HAWAII (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 13, 2012
I learned that knowledge is power and knowing your job well made you well respected and admired. My experience here taught me that you have to work hard and do whatever is necessary to get the job done in order to succeed. The hardest part of the job is having to let employees go while the most enjoyable part of the job is being recognized by your peers for a job well done.
Pros
healthcare benefits, opportunity to hone your skill set
Cons
short breaks
Rental Agency
Rental agent (Former Employee) –  Tulsa,OklahomaOctober 1, 2015
Check reservation scheduled and handled customers that just walked up to the counter to rent a car. Offer upgrade to the existing car size .
Pros
Company offered great bonsus
Cons
Management did not listen to employees
Flexible and Approachable
Vehicle Service Assitant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 18, 2015
I really loved working for them, they were very flexible and very approachable as a management group. I enjoyed the management and the people that I worked with. If it came down to it, I would go back to them.
Very fun and rewarding work enviroment
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIDecember 13, 2012
Working apart of a dynamic sales team was wonderful. Was able to interact with all types of people and different cultures. If you have a way with talking with people then working here would be a rewarding experience for anyone that has or doesnt have a sales background.
Pros
great benefits, rewarding, fast paced
Pricing coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 6, 2014
Dollar Thrifty was a great place to work. They offered great benefits. Dollar Thrifty was purchased by Hertz in 2012. I would not recommend working for Hertz. The software used by Hertz is old and unreliable. There is also a lot of red tape and departments do not work with each other.