Dollar Tree

3.5K reviews

Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Loved customers, dislike majority of the staff.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Burlington, VTAugust 28, 2015
Poor management, no room for growth, very disorganized, all scheduled hours are based on sales--hours were never consistent. Hardly ever took a real break-I got burnt out.
Productive work environment
Dollar Tree (Former Employee), Smithfield, VAAugust 28, 2015
Pros: 30 minute breaks
Cons: no bonus, no health benefits, minor chance of promotion
Work days consist of daily tasks giving to be completed by the end of your shift. I learned to work at a steady but somewhat fast pace, and the management was very friendly but demanding. my co-workers got along very well and didn't mind working together to get a task done in a timely matter. The hardest part of the job is unloading the large shipments from trucks.The thing I enjoyed the most is the friendliness in the environment from customers to co-workers.
Co-workers were awesome, respectful environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Billerica, MAAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Learned a lot, co-workers
Cons: Very short breaks; sometimes none.
A typical day at Dollar Tree was either stocking or being on the register. Management was very respectful and helpful, they could have been just a little more professional. My co-workers were awesome. Whenever I had a question they would help me with no hesitation. The hardest part of the job was doing recovery because Dollar Tree is a VERY busy store especially around holidays so 70% of the time the store was a mess. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing customers satisfied and happy when I would ask if they needed help or just being a good employee.
Very busy working multiple tasks
Cashier/Freight (Former Employee), Falcon, COAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: No benifits
A typical day at work consisted of different jobs, never was expected to stop but nothing was ever too difficult for one person to handle. I learned how to work a cashier register and also learned how to stock items on shelves in a short period time in an organized fashion. Management tended to know what I needed to do for my shift excluding a few unsure managers although the tasks were in fact straight forward. Nothing about this job was difficult it was quite enjoyable when customers began to recognize and admire you.
A Typical Work Day
Cahsier/Recovery (Former Employee), Wallingford, CTAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Customers, employees, Job itsef
Cons: Cash Reps go done at times
Very Fast Pace job
The job is never finished always had stuff to do
Cashiering stocking etc
Customers where Fabulous
Love this Job
Staff was the best
Hardest time was around Christmas Seasonal caught us good
racist workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: breaks
unfair treatment on the job. Becaus I was the youngest employee, other employees felt like they could order me and I shut it down and handled my situation.
It's an okay job
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Inkster, MIAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Flexible scheduling, friendly co-workers
Cons: payroll
There aren't a lot of opportunities for advancement, however, the job security is pretty good. Unfortunately there are times when payroll problems result in fewer hours. The best part of the job is the flexible scheduling and friendly co-workers.
It Was Fun While It Lasted
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule, easy training, mostly nice co-workers
Cons: No healthcare for PT workers, low pay, understaffed because of cut hours, FT workers lazy
I enjoyed managing the store, typical day consisted of managing the safe, workers tasks, tidying up the store, working the register, inventory control and helping customers and opening/closing procedures.

Most of the time was understaffed because company didn't want to pay for more labor. Kept cutting hours to the point that people quit for lack of hours and would have lines going down the aisles. Because we were so understaffed, I would have to work on my breaks and try to juggle keeping lines down, making sure the store was neat, and trying to manage the deposits. Especially during Christmas, which is the busiest time, they expect the store to be neat and keep lines down, but kept cutting hours to about 4-5 staff when in reality we needed at least 8 during that season (due to messy customers throwing everything around).

My boss was great for a while but tended to favor the full-time managers, who were NOT team players and would sit around in the office talking while I cleaned or was on register. On their shifts, they would make sure they had enough employees and would cut the hours on either mine or the other part-time manager. Tended to also switch around hours/days last minute (both mine and employees) and not inform us-- this cause us to be late or understaffed because employees didn't know they were working.

DM at the time was awful. Finally gave me the promotion eight months after I was told I had the position, then lied about the pay I was supposed to get, but too the position anyway. I was told I would have full time six months after managing and four months after the six, after telling me I had the position, went back on their word.

Learning how to manage a store and making a lot of friends was the highlight of working here. Environment was highly unprofessional and the company will do anything to save money by cutting their already underpaid workers. Too much stress for little in return.
Working at Dollar Tree
Cashier (Former Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 26, 2015
I liked working at Dollar Tree. It was a great job. I would recommend working there to anyone looking for a part-time job.
Great Work enviornment
Recieving Associate (Current Employee), Holland, MIAugust 26, 2015
I am having a great experience with this company so far. Although I have just started I am clearly understanding what is expected from myself as an employee. I am also well informed about what to expect from my employer. Looking forward to a great working relationship.
jhkh
Checker (Former Employee), Pooler, GAAugust 26, 2015
I already done my review on this company they have great health and dental insurance but very poor overall care for their employees!!
the exciting atmosphere
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Kingman, AZAugust 25, 2015
Pros: meeting new friends, helping others and seeing, how much of a blessing you caused that prerson and feel good, knowing a little sure does go a long way
Cons: n/a
I learned to help people through customer service, seeing them smile is just a big part of my day and i just really love people and love being around people that put off good vibes
Not a very great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Olympia, WAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: no benefits, disrespectful people
I worked every position in this store. I was a cashier, did recovery throughout the store, freight in the back and some management things here and there. I worked great with my co-workers and assistant managers but the general manager wasn't very good. A lot of the time she left me on a register by myself with huge lines and would just sit in the office talking to someone on the phone about something non work related. She was also very rude when talking to any/all employees and never gave anyone respect. I had never felt so bad about going to work before.
Steady part-time job to stay productive.
Cashier (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Co-operated with my schedule while working a second job
Cons: 10-minute break per shift
I'd spend most of my 5 hour shift behind the register and maintaining the front of the store, greeting customers as they arrived and enjoyed the morning shift. I learned how to properly operate a cash register and handle cash and credit transactions. For the most part I was on my own during my shift, we'd have a Store Manager running daily operations and a stocker out in the aisles.I enjoyed the fast pace of work, shifts seemed to go by very quick and I enjoyed my time working here very much.
The work hours could be better, along with compensation.
p/t sales floor associate (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Less than desirable conditions all around.
Cons: Breaks too short.
This position is a less than desirable experience. Compared to the other places I've been employee'd. Aside from the daily interaction with the public, there isn't much left to be explained.
Fast-Paced, Room For Improvement
CASHIER / ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), WisconsinAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work includes: completing Point Of Sale transactions, balancing cash register drawer, completing drop at the bank of the day's deposit, completing daily announcement quota, replenishing stock at the end of the day, and assisting/answering guest questions.
It pays the bills
Store Associate (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYAugust 24, 2015
I go into work, mind my business, do my job and go home. I can be a team member or can complete tasks individually as well. I am available for overtime and not always happy when my hours are cut. I take direction well. The job is the same from day to day.
productive and organized
Cashier (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: our store is right next to food
Cons: no healthcare options
A typical work day consists of stocking shelves and unpacking boxes that are deliverd to the store site. I learned that it is important to stay on task and keep your head above waters. dollar store is a expanding company in need of serios employees. My manager need to work on being on task but other then that i love my co workers. The hardest part of the jobis communication between me and the manager. The most enjoyable part of the job is being employed.
Dollar Tree: A Great Place to Work
casher, stock, Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Evans G.AAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Great Environment
Cons: Occasional Dissatisfied Customers
At Dollar Tree, we never had a bad day. The positive and supportive environment allowed me to successfully advance to the position of Assistant Manager. Although there were certainly challenges with the new set of responsibilities, I was able to effectively manage my time and employees with encouragement from,Debbie, the Store Manager. I look forward to applying the skills I learned from my Dollar Tree experience in a customer service position.
A safe place to work
Assistant Operations Store Manager (Current Employee), Whitehall Township, PAAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Extremely flexible company
Cons: More pay for Managers work load
Since my time @ dollar tree I have enjoyed being in an environment in which I feel safe and eager to evolve my career with a growing company.
Headquarters