Dollar Tree Employee Reviews in United States

Found 5,033 reviews matching the search
Good place to work for part time only
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Forestville, MDJune 30, 2016
A typical day at dollar tree is basically ringing customers keep the lines down and helping with customer service. I have learned to work on speed with checking out customers, management is fair and works hard and friendly with all, my co-workers are friendly and everyone gets along great. honestly there is nothing hard about the job especially after working retail for 10+ plus years. the most enjoyable part about work are the customers and being able to help them.
Pros
Good environments
Cons
very minimum hours, shorts breaks, no advancement
Great Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXJuly 22, 2016
I enjoyed working at my Local Dollar Tree in Sherman, Texas. It was an amazing environment, very welcoming and open. I had a good relationship with everyone there, and had hardly any issues what-so-ever. Sure, a little work drama. But there's always some somewhere. Besides for that, it certainly is a wonderful work place. Also, since a lot of newer jobs are start and move to another work place, there's always a chance to become management due to seniority.
Pros
Some free stuff, Good start up job
Cons
Start wage low
no real advancement opportunity
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Landover Hills, MDJuly 15, 2016
for this company to be a multi-billion enterprise you would think that they can compensate their workers better. The environment is hazardous, the vents are old and very dusty. Management is not great but not terrible either, they lack communication skills. But the customers are great, especially the older ones. It satisfies me that I satisfy them. The hardest part is actually caring about the position itself since there is no real opportunity in advancement
Dollar Tree
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MIJuly 18, 2016
Morning Shift: Counted the safe as soon as I walked in, set up the registers for the day, looked at the daily agenda for what had to be done for the day, stocked majority of the time, while being the back up cashier.
Evening Shift: Counted the safe with the morning manager to make sure it was right on, cleaned most of the time and recovered the store. Cleaned the bathroom, wrote what needed to be done for the morning. Did the deposit.

The hardest part of the job was doing the resets, but they were my favorite to do. I love setting up front for the new change over. Loved most of my co-workers, but you'll always have the ones that you have to pick up their slack
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Wasn't able to get bonuses
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, OR 97603June 30, 2016
When you get to work we all exchange our hellos and get straight to our tasks for the day. If anyone needs assistance, the managers are quick to help. One person is never given a job too big without help to complete it. Also very good with working around your home schedule. I highly recommend working at the Dollar Tree in Klamath Falls Oregon. The staff their is incredible.
Pros
Managers buy breakfast and lunch sometimes.
Cons
No benefits at all for part time employees.
Could be much better
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHJuly 2, 2016
5 employees 1 manager and 1 store manager hours vary. I'm sorry but when your on register and expected to do stocking balloons and making sure the store looks clean there asking you to do way to much. When you have no employees this happens and makes us frustrated were only one person and ask us to do all that it is overwhelming. I'm sorry but dollar tree does not pay enough for employees to be doing all that. Need more employees and mangers need more training.
Pros
Friendly customers and friendly employees
Cons
Short breaks 10 minutes for a 4 hour shift! I think it should be 10 minute every two hour's
Bad place to work, a shift is only five hours and they cut your hours so they won't have to pay you more, only make min. wage
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Iuka, MSJune 22, 2016
Don't recommend you don't get paid much or get many hours.
No one knows what they are doing, they told me to use the pay card and I couldn't get into the website to check the unexpected charges and no one knew what to do about it.
Every night I had to stay over an hour becase the money would have to be recounted. It rarely seemed to come out right.
Not a great place to work
Pros
Management isn't too harsh
Cons
Few breaks, little pay, very hectic, incompatant higher ups
loved my experience there.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJuly 2, 2016
While I worked as a cashier at dollar tree, sometimes the work was boring on slow days, but I had the best manager. She was amazing she knew how to keep the job interesting and fun. When standing at a register for hours, your feet and back get sore and tired, but she made sure in the slow moments to keep you busy and focused on something else. The job itself was a decent and ok job but the manager I had made it a great experience
Pros
easy, had flexible hours
Cons
long hours not a lot of pay
Worst company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2016
Learned a lot from this job but not from training. Worked there 6 months before getting promoted to ASM but only because they were short handed on managers. No training was given before I was managing my own shifts which only included 2 employees due to low payroll. Horrible district and store managers who do not know how to talk to people. High turnover rate because it is not a supportive team. There is no dedication to the job.
Pros
Everyday is a different challange
Cons
No teamwork, no benefits, horrible training
Messy Busy Store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work was clock in, sort go backs, put go backs away, fill balloon carol, help customers, count my till, clean the bathroom, clear anything in the cash register area, wipe down the register, vacuum, sweep the carpet floor and aisle, and lastly recount the deposit. I learned to deal with money and to have patience with co-workers and customers. The management at Dollar Tree would be rated as poor due to their rudeness and inappropriate use of authority over cashier and stockers.
Pros
First view on new products
Cons
Short breaks
A lot of work for being a part time
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAJune 27, 2016
It is definitely a good place to get experience that you may need for another job. A typical day at work would cash out customers, stocking items in the aisles, putting back go backs, cleaning register area. I am more open to other people where I am not shy. I have also learned to be tougher because there are people that extremely mean for no apparent reason and you can not react to them. My co-workers are very nice. We keep it work related and professional.
Fun working with people in a variety of ways
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJune 29, 2016
Typical day depended on what I was scheduled to do. Some days i was a cashier and worked the register, stocking and helping and greeting customers.
Other days I loaded a u-boat and stocked shelves, helped customers and cleaned the isles.
On truck days I helped unload a truck that had anywhere from 900 to 2000 boxes.
Other mornings I came in at 4 am and stocked all morning.

Hardest part of the job was the low pay for the hard work we did.

most enjoyable part of the job was the people both employees and customers.
Pros
boss treated us for extra work with Frapacinos
Cons
low pay for hard work
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNJuly 9, 2016
A typical day at work at Dollar Tree was very professional and busy.Customers were always in the store and management was professional.What I learned was stocking,sales incentives,zoning department.Over night stocking,open and close schedules.C-workers were very professional and hard working and flexible concerning work schedules.The hardest part was work schedules.The most enjoyable part was blowing up balloons for customers.
Pros
Lunch breaks were always given to employees
Cons
Short breaks were always given to employees
great work environment, and amazing staff.
Give great customer service (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 17, 2016
typical day ring up customers, stock inventory, clean store. the things i learned was team work makes a difference in the work place, the management was very professional and flexible. staff were easy going and fun, hardest part of the day would probably be closing due to short time window. the most enjoying part of the job were the different types of customer that came through the store.
Pros
helped to build customer service skills.
Cons
not enough hours.
I did not like working here at all.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOJuly 12, 2016
Working for Dollar Tree was not an enjoyable experience. Most days were spent dealing with angry customers and cleaning up after their children. I worked for 19 different managers, including three different distract managers and three different store managers, and I worked with countless other sales associates, most of which barely lasted a few weeks. The hardest part of the job was knowing what to do. Some days I would arrive and be told to do something, and then later get in trouble for not doing something that I have never been asked to do. There was very little about this job that was enjoyable.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 15, 2016
my day at work consisted of taking care of customers making sure they found what it is they were looking for, made the customers feel welcomed and made sure that they got to purchase their items in a timely fashion and recovery .the most enjoyable part of the job was my customers because some were always sweet and kind made me laugh. the hardest part was hardly getting help with recovery from other co-workers
Pros
sales associate appreciation day
Cons
no help from other co-workers
poor
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 19, 2016
I worked for this company years ago. I was a slower employee and my manager had no problem telling the other employees how slow I was. I would usually work the evening shift. My shift would end at 9 :30 and I was told I had to stay sometimes until after 11 pm. The store was very poorly managed. I had also divulged to my manager that I had been abused as a minor. She than embarrassed me in front of my other coworkers how I had been abused. The products they sell in the store are sometimes broken. I personally did not enjoy working here at all
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Poor management, constant harrasement from managers
Dollar Tree is A Great Idea for a Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 20, 2016
But needs a lot of work. The store was always a mess. Even from my first day. I've stayed to clean twice and The store was the complete mess worst than before.
I think they need a better system on how they run the store.
I learned a lot more about money, and that people really do have bad management but still work hard as possible no matter what.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and making their day with good conversation or just a simple smile.
Pros
I got paid on time
Cons
The Storage Area is a complete rek and so is the Break room.
Great Concept, Poor Follow Through
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKJune 21, 2016
Dollar Tree offers great product, at unbelievable prices, however, the management selection process needs serious work. The company as a whole offers little to no health insurance and even thought there is a background check to be accepted as a management candidate, I witnessed a degree of favoritism which allowed this step to be placed aside resulting in dishonest management behavior.
Pros
excellent hours, great customer base
Productive and Good area to work
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCJune 15, 2016
I was a cashier and I didn't work there very long but a typical day was running the register, helping to stock shelves. I learned how to run the register there and handle a till. Co workers were ok I worked with the manager a lot because it was around holidays and I was willing to work holidays and weekends. The hardest part of the job was the short breaks for long hours. I enjoyed it there though because I was good with customers and I enjoy people.
Pros
Discount
Cons
short breaks

2.7