Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Found 6,240 reviews matching the search
Horrible Place to Work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, WAJanuary 2, 2017
Only work here if you absolutely need a job. Management is horrible, uneducationed and unable to really handle what they expect their workers to do. They just made a pay raise to compensate those who work there but it is not worth it when it comes to hours. They have messed up on my paycheck multiple times, scammed me out of vacation and PTO. They won't inform you of anything that could possible benefit you or your family. They only are strict about rules if you bring up the fact that they are breaking rules with Department of Labor. They are always under evaluation by Department of Labor and OHSA because of their working conditions and the way employees are treated. If anything work for their competitor warehouses were you will get treated properly and get paid the just amount without having to analyze your paycheck every two weeks for any errors.
ok company to work for to get your foot in the door into management experience if you are liked if not then youre out of luck
Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCNovember 2, 2016
Depending on which store your at and how your store manager is this can make or break your experience with this company. Some managers take care of their people while others just run them in the ground. The politics is horrible and you either are liked and move up then get stuck as an assistant manager with no room for growth or pay raises or you get stuck as a cashier expected to give your life to the company. No work/life balance with this company. They only care about making their money.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIFebruary 23, 2017
My typical day at work is counting the drawers and filling the impulse at the cashiers right away in the morning. I stock the boxes that are for the checkouts, candy, makeup, hair products, and glass figures. I work with customers and if they ask questions you answer and show them where the product is. Clean the windows and doors, put together containers and cups. When I'm done with work I count my drawer and sign then I go put my go backs away and then I punch out.
I've learned a lot about customer service by working there for over 1 year. The worst part of my job is working with bad customers that are rude and not understanding. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the customers and having a good manager and associate relationship.
Pros
a good first job to have
Cons
no benefits
Great part time job, Thats It!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 16, 2016
Overall I didn't enjoy my employment. The management sucked and the employees were from another planet. I like the manager that was there at the time but the store could never keep a great look. Always trashy and items will always be out of place. The people I worked with, again, were from another planet, very unprofessional, the most I love about my job was cashiering and being able to see that I've done a great job with each transaction. Customers would always say you do a great job keep it up and some even tried to tip me or buy me something to drink out of the store.
Pros
Its a job, on bus line, great scenery
Cons
NO benefits, minium wage pay, no recognition for hard work
Fun atmopshere
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Landover Hills, MDSeptember 4, 2016
Opportunities for advancement, great co workers.They have decent benefits and the work is not that difficult provided your store can keep employees and you can be scheduled properly. Great work environment.They believe in working you to death. They expect a lot for little pay. They have a very high turnover rate and they believe that the employees should.be watched at all times. Management is not great but not terrible either, they lack communication skills. But the customers are great, especially the older ones. It satisfies me that I satisfy them. The hardest part is actually caring about the position itself since there is no real opportunity in advancement.
Pros
Fast paced. Great work environment
Cons
Inflexible hours and high turnover rate
My Review of Dollar Tree
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 30, 2016
Working for Dollar Tree was okay as a first job. It paid minimum wage, it taught me the basics of customer service, and it gave me a way to earn a little money as I discovered life in my early twenties. The management wasn't that great at times, but I suppose that's how it is with a small company. Everyone knew everyone's business and have problems keeping that information to themselves. Would I recommend Dollar Tree as a job to someone else? Sure. Not all places are the same. Not all people act the same. Dollar Tree can be a really great job for someone who is in desperate need of a little money. It is also a great job to teach someone the basic knowledge of customer service when they have yet to learn any skills from that environment.
Pros
Good first job, taught basic customer service skills
Cons
No advancement in the company, low raises
Staffing for requirement of work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2016
Typical retail environment. Sales floor, Operations, and merchandising expectations are in place. The main challenge to this particular job is Merchandise delivery. You will receive between on average about 900cases and 2800 cases a week. expectations are unloading 500 cases an hour with probably 3 associates unloading. you have 48 hours to get entire delivery to sales floor. The other main challenge is store recovery depending on where your location is.
Pros
Employment. Merchandising direction, Health Benefits. Paid time off.
Cons
Low strict payroll. Not good floor coverage. Store recovery.
work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Painted Post, NYFebruary 7, 2017
I do love working for this company, but I get no benefits and only get 15-25 hours a week, and that is for a part-time assistant manager. Ive been with the company for little over 4 years now, starting as a cashier and working my way up to management. i just wish that their was more that they would offer. I always wanted to go back to school and if they had some kind for program that would allow me to go to school with out leaving my job I would.
Pros
I have a great boss and its a fun fast paced place to work
Cons
no benifits
Overworked and underpaid
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Rhinelander, WISeptember 21, 2016
They expect one person to do the work of many people. They expect you to cashier as well as do other things far away from the register. It doesn't make any sense. Usually I'd stay by the register because it's usually busy. Then I'd get yelled at because I've only gotten so much done. I think that helping out the customers right away is more important than getting other things done. Dollar Tree managers put freight and stocking first, customers last. When I worked there, I'd do my best and all I'd hear about is what I DIDN'T get done or things I did wrong. I felt like nothing I ever did was good enough or done quickly enough.They don't give raises, just ten cent raises a year.
Pros
Getting first opportunity to buy things before customers get to them, no drug testing
Cons
low pay, managers don't treat employees with respect, they have unrealistic expectations, nothing is ever good enough, quick to criticize you about everything, don't get many hours
Nice environment with a great Manager
Sales (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTNovember 11, 2016
A typical day at work included logging into the system to start earning some cash, then get straight to work and work at the cashier. I loved that there is always something to do to stay busy. When low on customers you can stock shelves or organize the back room, clean the store, ect. I learned to think outside the box on what I could do with my time. Co-workers were simple and easy to deal with. Funny and fun to be around.

The hardest part of this job was organizing the back because there is so much product! Which is a good thing.
I loved meeting a lot of 'usual' customers and interacting with happy customers.
Pros
Easy and fun. Learned stocking skills
Cons
Not really any benefits and low wage.
Wonderful Stepping Stone Company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Belleville, MIJanuary 26, 2017
I have really enjoyed my last 3 years with Dollar Tree. However like most companies employees feel mistreated to a certain extent. The communication between the chains of command are less than satisfactory. The HR rep for my district was less than helpful. She is one of the major factors for me leaving this company. I tried to report harrassment, and she immediately removed me from training and put me in a position I had no chance of ever being promoted.
Pros
great atmosphere, flexible scheduling, benefits
Cons
over worked, low pay, unrealistic expectations
Challenging, yet rewarding job opportunity
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2017
I started with the company in October of 2014 and had my own store by August of the next year. Job advancement is awesome for dedicated workers, as they're a very fast growing company. They expect a little much out of the store managers as far as not being able to have that work/life balance, but it's not bad pay.
Pros
Benefits, Security, Advancement
Cons
No Life, Stressful, Ever-Changing
physical work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Acres, FLOctober 14, 2016
A typical day of work is stocking the shelves, taking care of the cashiers, make sure the customers leave satisfied. I learned how to become a manager and what it takes to be in a position where you have to make sure everything is running properly. My coworkers weren't that great I feel that Dollar Tree can use new workers that have a positive mindset and that actually care about having a job. The hardest part of my job was satisfying customers, because you will have to always be friendly and keep the customers satisfied even though they can be really rude to you. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the customer's even though there are not nice customers there are some customers that will make me laugh and are fun to talk with.
Benefits
Cons
They need stockers the managers can't take care of everything at once
fun with opportunity for advancement
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MNFebruary 16, 2017
Dollar tree was a fun and interesting place to work with decent pay and benefits. I was provided advancement opportunities quickly and loved my job. Coworkers became like family and made stressful situations bearable. This job provided me with long lasting skills and relationships.
Pros
relationship with customers, holiday and sick pay, quarterly bonuses
Cons
work becomes life when salaried, unreliable employees
Good for first time workers
Cashier/ Lead Stocker (Current Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Dollar tree is a good place for a first time worker, however it is not a place to make a career. Dollar tree gives very little hours to work and too much work for the allotted 4 hours a day. Its a place were you have to learn as you go at a quick pace. Store does not provide enough hours to make the store presentable for customers. Too many restrictions to regulate associates.
Pros
easy to learn
Cons
short breaks, no full time posstions, no benifits
Helping People with a Glad Heart
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Owasso, OKSeptember 19, 2016
Worked as cashier in a fast paced environment unless needed for stocking of merchandise. Built up a rapport with repeated customers and made welcome new customers.
Worked well with all the other employees due to a professional attitude displayed by them and myself.
Management focused and quick to respond to any problem.
The hardest part of the job for me was learning to time manage stocking and cashier in such a fast paced environment. I felt confident in this after 2 weeks of training.
The most enjoyable part was working with people that worked hard and was fun to be around.
Pros
Great working relations with other employees
Cons
no benefits offered
Fast Paced Environment, but lacking quality management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 13, 2016
During my time there I was continuously understaffed, being given a number of tasks that I was glad to undertake. My subordinates were excited when they worked with me, because they knew I would "Get the job done right". I loved being able to manage over people who appreciated my dedication. The one thing that I could not approve of, is the unfair treatment of myself as well as a few other employees as well as the inability of management to provide us the essential requirements to properly perform our duties.
Pros
Being able to work with people, and great co-workers
Cons
Insufficient tools to perform duties, worked full time hours but paid as part time w/o benefits.
Tough enviroment but a great customer relation place to learn
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2016
This Job requires patients and extraordinary customer service skills. I began my day with stocking shelves and ensuring that all tills are correct and ready for to go. I use my customer skills to assist any customer and manage operations whatever that might consist of. I have expanded my customer service skills and have learned how to de-escalate very tough situations. Dollar tree is centered in a heavily populated area so multi-tasking and being vigilant is a most.
Pros
Steady work flow, Great team memebers
Cons
healthcare benefits
Not a bad place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  DelawareFebruary 24, 2017
I worked as a cashier for Dollar tree for almost a year. My store was great for the most part. You'd sometimes get rude customers but it was never anything you couldn't handle. My issue was managment and hours. My main manager could be really rude and she picked favorites and made no secret of it. I only got 15 hours a week. The only time i went over 20 was during the holidays when they needed everyone overtime. Its not a job you can rely on to live off of that's for sure.
Pros
Customers, small store
Cons
No benefits, not many hours
Good for high schoolers but not much else.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VAFebruary 15, 2017
The other sales associates are nice and one or two of the managers. Very unrealistic polices. It's a good job if your in school with no home responsibilities because if you have any home responsibilities hope those come with a 2 week notice. It's a easy to learn job and good for experience.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
No benefits, low pay, no real growth or advancement chances and unrealistic polices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7