Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Found 5,287 reviews matching the search
mellow place to work with little benefit
Cashier/recovery associate (Former Employee) –  Eagle, IDMarch 28, 2016
Interaction with customers, register/cash handling, stocking, price checks, typical retail duties. I bettered my math skills. Management was good, attentive to detail and considerate to their employees. Co-workers, not so much. Bad attitudes followed with lots of whining. Hardest part of the job was angry customers who didnt understand policies or returns. Best part was constantly being busy made work days go by fast and kept me from looking at the clock.
Pros
fun job keeps you busy good experience
Cons
unhappy co-workers, not much advancement, low pay, low hours
Productivity is key.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, ILMarch 31, 2016
Supervised team members helped customer with certain issues, learned that productivity is a very strong factor, getting extra work done was the most enjoyable part of the day, hardest part of the job not having enough payroll and having staff that constantly called out and that upper and the management team rarely helped to resolve important issues.
Pros
Decent pay for assistant managers and bonuses if monthly sales are surpassed.
Cons
No security, no payroll, no staff, poor health benefits, corporate doesn't resolve important issues
Productivity is key.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 29, 2016
Pros
Decent pay for assistant managers and bonuses if monthly sales are surpassed.
Fast Placed Work Environment. Fun, Not enough Hours. No Health Benefits Offered
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAFebruary 22, 2016
While I enjoyed working at Dollar Tree, I think that the company could definitely use improvement as far as the work environment.
Health Benefits were NOT offered to any part-time employees. Associates had no option to work full time, that was reserved for management. This way they did not have to offer any health benefits/plan. In addition, the hours provided were so low that they barely offset transportation costs.
Management was sometimes unpleasant to work with although that is a reflection on the individual rather than the company. As in some managers asked me to do their tasks on top of my own while they did nothing. If the work environment was better with more hours would definitely be a better place to work. I expected more from a fortune 500 company.
Pros
Fast paced, Always something to do.
Cons
No health benefits offered, few hours, management issues.
Awesome workplace
HR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 5, 2016
I love this company and especially the people. They are supportive and they push further in your career. Management takes ownership of leadership. The benefits are amazing and accommodates families as well.
typical to less than ideal retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 6, 2016
I would open the store and run the register. I would stock all registers and endcaps, and ring peoples purchases out. In this job I learned how to restart the registers and blow up balloons. Middle and upper management seemed aloof and out of touch although my coworkers and immediate supervisors were terrific people; humble and kind. The hardest part of the job was completing my job to the best of my ability but not being recognized for it via promotion or pay raise. The most enjoyable part of the job was the annual holiday toy drive in which donations from our customers were easy to encourage because of obvious philanthropic reasons.On a personal note I felt that the dollar tree made it glaringly obvious that they did not care about employees, and that the poor quality of products and low prices were immediately reflected in the fact that shifts were ran on few people with high work loads and few opportunities to advance despite any given worker proving themselves as being an above average employee.
Pros
toy drive
Cons
shifts ran on shoesstring budgets, terrible healthcare plans
Good atmosphere, poor training.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 13, 2016
I was quickly promoted to Assistant Manger after being hired on as a Sales Associate. I was told I would have 2 weeks training for the position but was not allowed to take home any training materials to help prepare me for my job more efficiently and it only ended up being a day of training before being put on the floor and told that that's how Dollar Tree does their training. I liked the atmosphere and my coworkers, but I believe the Store Manager was overworked, putting in 55- 75 hours per week, leading to poor management and mistakes. This was my overall employment experience with Dollar Tree, however, I feel that if I had stayed a Sales Associate, I would have thoroughly enjoyed working for their company.
Pros
Coworkers, new products
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Friendly coworkers, but management left much to be desired.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 6, 2016
I really enjoyed working with my coworkers, but it was challenging to work when we were constantly understaffed. I was left to manage a store with little workers for up to 5 hours at a time. Management made it difficult for us to do our jobs to our fullest potential and offer customers the best service that they deserved.
Cons
No benefits for being employeed
Very productive, fast paste environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Holmdel, NJMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work is great we get a lot of freight out, ive also learned a lot with being with the company, move my way up to management and i'd also like to take my career futher.
My co-workers are great, nothing to hard about being apart of Dollar Trees management Team.
I love the customers, they are always great an respectful along with the dollar tree team.
Pros
Evereyone is understanding
productive but unprofessional job enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILMarch 31, 2016
My main job was a cashier. I also made sure that the front of the store stayed clean, and helped customers with any of there needs. Sometimes if I worked late shift I returned unwanted items and straightened up around the store. Job wasn't really hard I enjoyed it. The management started off good, but ended not so good. Very rude, and unprofessional.
Pros
I had a job
Cons
breaks, no benefits
It is an outstanding place to work, Management is exceptional
Frieght Management (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MAJanuary 4, 2016
A day at dollar tree is generally very fast past with heavy loads. I have learned how to manage navigating the needs of the clients while still achieving the goals I set for myself for that day.
The management at the dollar tree are very team oriented and supportive, they encourage a positive work environment and expect optimal performance.
My Co-workers are extremely hard working and secondary to our jobs being very independent of one another or only interaction is at break or in passing while loading and unloading freight but they are always in good spirits and willing to lend a hand when needed.
The most difficult part of my day is knowing I can not survive on the salary they are able to provide, the best part of my work day is... enjoying the job.
Pros
positive, upbeat, fast paced environment
Cons
Salary, and lack of hours
A Good Company with Advancement Opportunities
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 30, 2015
Dollar Tree is an excellent company to work for with decent benefits for management. You can easily move up from a cashier to a store manager if you are hard-working and motivated.

There is ALWAYS busy work so you can never possibly be bored. One thing that is really hard is recovering the store at night though because people tear it up and let their kids run wild. I guess because it's only a dollar they don't respect out items as much. This can be a big problem if your manager is delusional about how long a store takes to be recovered. Be aware of this.

Overall its a good satisfying job for a hard worker, though it could pay better.
Pros
Cool Products, Regulat Customers, Easy Procedures
Cons
Recovery, Cleaning, No Shows
Productive and Enjoyable
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 16, 2016
Typical day was busy, sometimes very fast paced.
Time management, priories, dealing with public
Very helpful and respectful manager. Co-workers were hard working, dependable, reliable.
Hardest part of the job- sometimes store could become very busy and become overwhelming.
Most enjoyable- Co-workers, helped each other, and fast paced.
Pros
coworkers, pay, productive
Cons
short breaks, benefits for PT
Slow Business with Nice Regulars
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Closter, NJMarch 27, 2016
A typical day at work is usually slow, as sales are down due to near-by construction zone. I learned how to communicate more effectively by always greeting customers, striking up conversations, and always being polite. The management was hard-working and dedicated and the co-workers were generally friendly with me. The hardest part of the job was that as a result of low sales, management was forced to schedule one cashier per shift. This made work difficult whenever business did happen to pick up. In retrospect, being a lone-cashier prepared me for future employment in high volume businesses. The best part of the job was interacting with the regular customers that come in on a daily basis and conversed with me everyday.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Short Shifts, Not enough hours etc.
Dollar Tree
Stocker/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 5, 2016
Great place to work, always busy. Employees are friendly. Like to see my time and dedication go to a company that appreciates a hard worker and dependable person. No raises, no incentive to stay. Not much to show after 6 years.
Pros
listen to music
Cons
no raises
Good Job for people with no advanced education.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Briar Creek, PAMarch 23, 2016
Hard labor
not very many opportunities for advancement.
great opportunity for overtime and reward pay
long hours available. It is also very strenuous on the body so you have to be able to lift heavy objects.
Cons
forced overtime
Friendly Co-Workers
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 15, 2016
for the most part fast paced short shifts

management was very kind and genuinely cared about me and fellow co-workers

hardest part to stay was lack of hours, no set schedule, and zero benefits

short shifts made day go by quickly and i loved my customers

very rarely dreaded going into work
Pros
short days, nice management, very little heavy workload
Cons
poor scheduling and lack of hours
Compensation and Overall benefits
Store Manager Certified Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day at work is approximately 10-11 hours. During which time, management's focus is to maintain a compelling place to work and shop, customer service, daily, weekly and monthly reporting. In addition, receiving and processing merchandise in a timely manner. Merchandising, operational and office management.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Unorganized
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dennis, MADecember 28, 2015
Compensation is better than I expected from a dollar store. Overall, the job is very fast-paced and a bit frantic. It requires long hours to be put in for management, but once a staff is trained and on the processes, things become easier.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Limited payroll causes difficulties in maintaining a staff
Very productive and fun job place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tallmadge, OHMarch 9, 2016
My typical day working at dollar tree consisted of friendly hellos and always putting things back into place. I helped customers when they were in need also offered my help when they were not. I worked at the cash register and sometimes it got super busy but I always kept a good pace and a smile on my face. Stocking while doing cashier was also something I enjoyed to do because I love to stay busy. I learned patience also tidiness. I liked the management very much all were very friendly and caring but very professional at the same time. The hardest part working at Dollar Tree was definitely dealing with an angry customer when you do not have what they're looking for, but I am always apologetic and sweet even when it's really difficult. The most enjoyable part of working for Dollar Tree was definitely the nice customers who come in often and always complimented my smile and looks.
Pros
management was good
Cons
short breaks and no discounts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7