Dollar Tree Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,902 reviews matching the search
Enjoyed my job with Dollar Tree
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 17, 2016
My favorite part of my job with Dollar Tree in Erie, PA. was greeting our customers while processing their puchases. I was always upbeat with a smile on my face mainly because our management was encouraging, supportive and efficient. Working with my co-workers was not a difficult task. Our management really had a skill in choosing employees that were pleasant, hard working and dependable. I learned that with a good team, the work place does not feel like a job, it feels like something I thoroughly enjoy doing.
Pros
Always a clean enviroment to work in, hard working management and co-workers, I was trusted to make managerial decisions, always had a morning/day schedule
Cons
Occasionally my hours, as others' were, cut due to District Management.
Great place for teens to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GA 30269April 27, 2016
Dollar Tree was my very first retail job. I did learn A LOT about stocking, cleaning, handling testy customers. It really gave me my push for wanting to be in the retail setting. My co-workers were awesome, managers were great too. The only down side to working here is the pay is very minimal, the hours are less than 25 hours a week, there are no benefits unless you give 5+ years of service. Like I said, great place to start at, but not made for permanent status.
Pros
Great working enviornment
Cons
Bad hours and pay
The best part of the job was the sense of accomplishment at the end of the shift when everything was in order and ready for business again.
Restocker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work is to replenish the merchandise on the shelves after customers have sorted through and/or purchased items. Also cleaning floors, dusting shelves and straightening up displays. I enjoyed being part of a productive team. Management changed frequently which made having a set schedule difficult to rely on. The best part of the job was the sense of accomplishment at the end of the shift when everything was neat and orderly again and ready for a new day of customers.
Cons
No employee discount, not enough hours
High Productive Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 1, 2016
Most days would start with a review of the day before consisting of sales, payroll and merchandise flow. Then I would plan the flow of the day with staffing, deliveries, necessary fill of merchandise to the sales floor. The mid part of the day would be spent on ordering and review future staffing needs or schedule adjustments.
Pros
excellent communication flow thru out the company
Cons
limited shift for Part time employee hours
my summary
cashier, stock. (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 22, 2016
For me a typical day at work is very busy, a lot of standing for sure.

I learned a lot there in dollar tree, it was my first time ever working at a grocery store so of course i learned, for instance keeping a small convo and still bag groceries check people out while performing cashier tasks.

management was fair with me i never really got the stink eye or treated bad by the hiring manager.

my co-workers were great and nice people for the most part i never had a problem with any of them.

seeing the people smile and telling me that I'm a good employer.
Pros
nice breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Working at Dollar Tree
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 8, 2016
I would clock in and the manager will count my till. After I would go to the register and check out many customers.Then I would get my till counted down and I would clock out and go home.The management was great while working here. The co-workers were very helpfuland the hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly customers. The most enjoyable pat of the job was my team.
Pros
breaks
Cons
short work hours and minimum wage
Unless you want to make a career out of it, stick to it being a side job
Front End Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOApril 20, 2016
Coworkers and customers are the best part of the job. You meet interesting people. The work is easy if you are a cashier or stocker. Assistant managers work the hardest because you are so pressed on time getting things done, especially in a higher volume store. Also for part-timers, good hours are not guaranteed.
Pros
fellow coworkers, environment
Cons
higher-ups want EVERYTHING done, but only give you little hours.
very busy store friendly customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 21, 2016
I enjoy working for Dollar Tree, meeting the customers with encouraging words to me, and I to them.
The experience as a Cashier is great, learning how to stock the floor with supplies and recovery is great. I learn where items go, and also, learn what items are on what isles. This helps me to help the customer locate their purchases.
I am very dependable, I will come to work when called, when an employee does not show up for work.
I work independently when necessary, completing All daily tasks as scheduled.
Pros
price of items in store
Cons
There is no room for growth or promotions. Insubordination employees go without discipline.
Starter job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 15, 2016
5 hour work shifts
minimum wage
cashier skills
management bad attitude
hardest part of the job was the heat, air was always broken and the store was infested with rats
coworkers were great. good people that work hard but don't stay long because of the working conditions
most enjoyable part of Dollar tree was the customers and co workers
Pros
you get a check
Cons
you only get 15 hours a week and the conditions are a little much
Productive and Professional Work Place
Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 3, 2016
A typical day at Dollar Tree was professional and these were my duties,cashier,stocking merchandise and zoning department,freezer,keep area of work suitable for customer view assist all customers In aprofessional manner and always thanked customer and proceeded to take each customer to aisle where product was at and worked well with each shift manager.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Seeking fulltime work
Bad managment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMay 1, 2016
I have been with Dollar Tree for a few years. I love my job and the people i work with . I have no problems with any of them. The district manager is the problem. For someone that use to be a Store manager knows what it is like pushing out frieght and running the store by yourself with only one person at the cash register but still continues to tell you that you need to pack out atleat 150 cases a day on your shift or clean the whole store with one person at night . It is very hard to clean a store within the 5 hrs that you are schedule for and do go backs and be backup register . The District manager needs to start respecting the management team of these stores and get her head out of her butt .
Pros
not bad for a part time job
Cons
DM needs to have respect for management teams
Slow non-demanding work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILApril 15, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers, operating a cash register and making sure my work space was tidy and organized.

I leaned that everything in the Dollar wasn't always a dollar.

The management was great, she was super understanding.

I didn't really get a chance to know my co-workers, I never worked with the same person more than twice. There was generally only one cashier at a time.

If I had to choose one of the hardest things about this job was remembering to log in and out of the register after a 3 min wait of having no customers. And it was a really slow job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I had a job.
Pros
breaks
Cons
slow work place
ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAApril 12, 2016
The customers are what made the job great interacting with new people and even sometimes the regulars. The company was very unorganized. Management was always changing. the main issue was the constant company change not that change is bad but at this particular company and location it wasn't good. At times it was difficult because you would have upset customers based on the lack of care by the establishment itself.
Pros
the people we serviced
Cons
there was a lack of team work
Very friendly people to work with, like a family.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, OKApril 10, 2016
The time I've spent at Dollar Tree has been rewarding. It gave me the experience needed to work in such an environment and would hopefully become a manager if not there then somewhere else where I can help train others in such a place. The management was decent, but wish they hired people that have already worked there to become managers that way there is no wasted time on training someone new. Instead you would have someone who knows what is needed and can bring the best out of people because of the familiarity.
Pros
many shifts to choose from, great benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Managing can use some work, system is outdated and causes some problems
Produtive
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 23, 2016
In the morning I'm getting the store ready for customers to experience a awesome day at Dollar Tree cleaning work area, cleaning windows. I have learned patients working for Dollar Tree. Management could be a little better My co workers are a little more driven then past co workers. The Hardest part of my job is the hard work but little pay because the job is part time, I enjoy seeing the customer I relate too.
Enjoy working with co-workers-personalities
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 15, 2016
I work independently when necessary, completing All daily tasks as scheduled. Work very well with the four (4) store assistance when scheduled.
Pros
Learning the Cashier process when opening and closing. New for me.
Cons
There is no room for growth or promotions. Insubordinant employees go without discipline.
Nice start for first job
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Moyock, NCJune 22, 2016
A typical work day was laid back and enjoyable. Cashiering most of the day and stocking at night. I leaned to multi -task and the importance of team work. The manager was great and stayed on top of things. Coworkers were nice and got along well. The hardest part of the job was closing at night and the most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere and nice coworkers and boss.
Pros
breaks
Cons
pay
Good Managers
Cashier/Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 8, 2016
Dealing with customers all day. Handle customer inquiries, complaints, billing questions, payments, and resolve problems. I like to provide my customers with the best customer service I can give them. I believe that I've always been able to learn new things from all of my jobs. Not the safest place to work due to the neighborhood. Not a job that has lots of advancement opportunities, but the managers and co-workers are great.
Cons
10 minute breaks, only 5 hour days for two days a week
Great company
Warehouse Stocker (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 10, 2016
Loved working for Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree has helped me built great customer service experience from the time I've started with the company. Co-workers and managers are great and head-on with giving workers duties. Dollar Tree has placed me in the midset that I can do more and move up with the company in a resonable time manner from working hard and continue to make customers satisfied.
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Roslindale, MAApril 6, 2016
We always had a good time at work. Everyone was always in a good mood and we worked as a team. There was this time at work where a customer was not happy so she was yelling at all of my co-workers. So I went over to her and started a conversation and asked if I can help her find anything and if we do not have it here I can point her to where she can find the item. The customer was very satisfied and when she came into our store she would only want my help. I always loved to make sure the customers was happy when they left the store and the store was well organized. The best part was working as a team.