Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Found 5,290 reviews matching the search
My management was very kind!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bonita, CASeptember 6, 2016
My managers took their time to train their people and overall created a team that knew what to do in every situation, handle people with confidence, and had gave awesome costumer service. They were understanding and worked with you. Great first job!
Cons
Consumers can get super nasty over a dollar
Its okay.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 6, 2016
Dollar tree offers no benefits, a lot of work for little pay, no hours given, but everyone is like family gets along great, all try to do stuff and get things done, we all fight for better ways.
Pros
Family
Cons
Short breaks
Decent starter job.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 6, 2016
Management was not very good. They did not train correctly and fired people if they simply did not like them. They were very rude and handled what should've been professional situations, poorly. I would not work for them again.
The job itself was very enjoyable because I got to work independently and most of the work was done when the store was closed so I could listen to my music and work.
Pros
Incentive lunches, personal relationships, independent work.
Cons
Bad management, poor training, not much room for advancement.
Fun place to work meet so many people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GASeptember 6, 2016
They will work with you on jobs , good staff fun place to work , very clean on holidays always stock with merchandise people come there first before looking forward alway find someone to help you cashier friendly greeting
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Short breaks
A comfortable Environment with friendly, outgoing people
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Dillsburg, PASeptember 5, 2016
Filling the U-boat with product. Speed is my main concern. I try to push out as much freight as I can in my hours in the day.
My management team is wonderful as well as my co-workers!
The hardest part is knowing that all product will not go out
and knowing that you have to deal with back stock once in awhile.
The outcome of my day is knowing that I can get my product out in a timely manner and also giving 100% customer service when needed!
Cons
20 min. lunch/ 10 min. break
Friendly coworkers, available management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2016
Typical day involved counting a drawer to $100, stocking/rotating items as needed, putting out weekly special buy items in the window, waiting on customers, cleaning back room storage area, and assisting customers to their car with large orders.

I learned how to handle a diverse range of customers with cultural/background differences.

Management was always willing to assist in learning new skills and answering questions about things I was unfamiliar with.

My coworkers were very friendly and we often helped each other to achieve the day's requirements.

The hardest part of the job was trying to get enough hours because there were too many employees at the location where I worked.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment and the ability to work on my own on projects with management being accessible for my questions.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
limited hours
Fun atmopshere
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Landover Hills, MDSeptember 4, 2016
Opportunities for advancement, great co workers.They have decent benefits and the work is not that difficult provided your store can keep employees and you can be scheduled properly. Great work environment.They believe in working you to death. They expect a lot for little pay. They have a very high turnover rate and they believe that the employees should.be watched at all times. Management is not great but not terrible either, they lack communication skills. But the customers are great, especially the older ones. It satisfies me that I satisfy them. The hardest part is actually caring about the position itself since there is no real opportunity in advancement.
Pros
Fast paced. Great work environment
Cons
Inflexible hours and high turnover rate
Great place to work for and advance into further opportunities
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 4, 2016
Been there 5 years and 3 months have improved into higher management and now basically run a store. Anything is possible with Gratitude and commitment
fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eunice, LASeptember 4, 2016
lots of customers care very busy full of fun loving people you can call your second family. have regular customers you see on a daily basis. good place to work
Terrible Retail Environment
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYSeptember 3, 2016
I've worked at Dollar Tree as an overnight stock clerk for only 2 months and I have to say that this company is terrible to work for. Unrealistic expectations like packing out 30 boxes an hour, managers that create toxic work environments for co-workers, and a disorganized back room where it's very hard to find what you're looking for. To summarize it all, I had a bad experience with this company, especially with the overnight manager, who bickers and whines about almost everything, which is one of the reasons why I left.
Pros
Uh, what pros?
Cons
Everything.
Outstanding,Hardworking
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 3, 2016
I Work With Every Effort And Determination In My Body"I'm A Quick Learner, With Potential.
I Love Meeting New People, Helping,
& Learning New Skills.
Working In The Retail Business Has Been An Outstanding Experience For Me .
Learning How To Be More Patient, Friendly, A People Person.
The Experience Of Learning How To Run A Store Was Tremendous. Opening & Closing the Store, Handling schedules, Managing Employees/ Cashier, Freight, Cash Handling, Deposits, Vendors, Receiving Frozen And Sales For Items.
Not too high maintenance
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 2, 2016
The work isn't difficult or strenuous, the customers are generally friendly and thankful and the staff gets along fairly well. not too much can be learned and the only "difficult" part would be receiving and unloading the freight truck since it varies from size, date, time and its done piece by piece.
Cons
raise difficulties and benefits for full-time
Easy to Work in Environment
Sales Associate, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  North Ridgeville, OHSeptember 1, 2016
Enjoyed nearly everyday working there and was never confused on what my job was and what was expected of me. I was able to get along with all my co-workers and it was a respectful and accepting environment.
I learned how to use cash registers and how a store functions, on top of furthering my multitasking abilities.
My managers were excellent and made me feel welcome and like I was part of the team.
Hardest part was avoiding carboard cuts while opening boxes and gathering enough change when people paid for two things with a fifty.
I enjoyed the routine work. I know what I had to do at what times and I never felt overwhelmed.
Pros
flexabe schedule
Cons
only two people working so it got busy
My opinion
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 1, 2016
Great friendly place to work at. Love our everyday customers that come in. Good foundation to learn and advance. Dollar tree has great leadership programs for employee that wish to moved up and purse a management position.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
Long training programs.
worse company ever
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 1, 2016
This company is the worse they only care about the bottom line they don't care how they get there. They don't care about the customers the stores are trash management is expected to work for free
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Your job is to do little management and push frieght
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYSeptember 1, 2016
Unload trucks and do freight all day every day. After doing the math of the hours I worked amd my salary. I made about $8 per hour.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lied to about responsibilies at the interview
Understaffed and always fast-paced.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 1, 2016
I was constantly coming into work with long lines. It always seemed like they were understaffed with one cashier's register open. The management was always tied down and never available in anyone required assistance.
great environment for strong minded
Cashier/Stocker/ warehouse selector (Current Employee) –  Vernon, CT windsor locks CtSeptember 1, 2016
select product to be shipped hard laboring job but if you are an athletic person you will love the work out. will lose weight and tone up quickly . fast paced .
fun place to work for interacting with customer's
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CASeptember 1, 2016
I learned how to help customer's in finding what they needed as to greeting them and always keeping a smile to also make them feel welcome to the store
Understanding management that works with you
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NESeptember 1, 2016
While I was working at Dollar Tree I was also in college and pregnant with other children. The store manager was amazing at working around my school schedule and making sure I never overworked myself when I was pregnant. I enjoyed being told by customers that came through the store that the Norfolk store was one of the cleanest and friendliest stores they have been in. I would highly recommend this store for anyone looking to apply!
Pros
Most of the managers are very helpful/friendly, flexible work school, fellow employess are friendly
Cons
short breaks, not always enough hours

2.7