Dominick's Finer Foods

Dominick's Finer Foods Employer Reviews

Fast paced enjoyed working with the public
Deli Manager/Trainer (Former Employee), Northlake, ILJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: sunday's double time
Cons: work all holidays
One on one basis with all customers they were like family. Along with awesome employees to work with. I also liked the way to move
up in the company the managers appreciated hard work. The employees always worked together as a team and always helped each other out in good and bad work situations.
Grocery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2014
This company went out of business in 2013. A review isn't necessary because this company doesn't exist anymore. This is the end of my review. I made a lot of friends while working here.
Very busy job, enjoyed very much
Customer Service (Former Employee), McHenry, IllinoisDecember 9, 2014
Pros: close to home, great hours
Cons: n/a
Customer Service, balancing service desk, learned how to multi-task, management and co-workers always worked together to make the store run well. I enjoyed 15 years working at Dominick's. Between the store selling and new management I took a buyout.
stressfull
Floral Manager (Former Employee), Naperville, ILDecember 1, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: stressful..
it was very demanding job, but fun at the same time..didn't pay enough but they had all the benefits that you would need. too bad it closed down
great enviorment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Bensenville, ILNovember 23, 2014
Pros: interacting with the customers
Cons: sadden to this company shut it's doors
Working in retail has given me the opportunity to develop stronger skills with working with the public., making sure that the customers are satisfied. As well as training, monitoring development with my employees.
Having fun
Meat Clerk (Former Employee), Frankfort, ILNovember 11, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: short breaks
never really had the greatest time here ! wish i could have done more but i had to get more hours
Enjoyed the people that I worked with, very fun environment.
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee), Bannockburn, ILNovember 8, 2014
Really had an enjoyable time working with the various vendors who came through the back of the building.
Cool for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2014
It was suitable for a first job. My fellow co workers were an awesome team. Sad to see them go.
Dominick's Finer Foods
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: exceptional employee benefits, flexible hours, friendly work environment
Cons: dysfunctional management, overwhelming workload
I would generally clock in for a six or seven hour shift in which I would perform tasks for multiple departments. Typically I would begin my day by walking through the isles of the store and removing out-of-date price information. Afterwords I would print out the new price information and display the changes throughout the store. At the same time I would be in charge of shipping and receiving. Responsibilities for that department included checking in daily deliveries by a multitude of different partner companies and verifying that the items on every invoice presented to me were present in the loads each company delivered. If the cashiers were to become overwhelmed by the number of shoppers waiting to be assisted I would open a new lane to ensure a quick and painless check out experience for the guests. Customer service was a constant focus for all departments in the store. Part of my job was to assist any and every customer with whatever need they might have had and if I was unable to do so, I was expected to find somebody who could help. Management was a well intentioned department at most times. They had problems with organization however, which led to a lot of reliability on my skill set. This sometimes intervened with my ability to focus on the task at hand and sometimes would not allow me to complete my daily responsibilities to the best of my ability. The co-workers in this company were great. Everybody was very friendly and helpful towards one another and maintained working relationships both on and off the clock. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance multiple departments on a daily basis, sometimes by myself and efficiently complete every responsibility. This adversity did however make me a stronger, more capable employee and sharpened my ability to multitask. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers that were regulars and having meaningful conversations with people who I met through my employment.
Awful
Customer Service (Former Employee), Wheaton, ILSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: impossible to be fired
Cons: everything else
it is out of business for a reason. you have dumb teenagers, lazy bosses, terrible rules, totally useless union, security that spends more time on employees than actual criminals. i could go on for days as to what was wrong with this company.
Very fast paced work flow
Forklift driver (Former Employee), Bannockburn, ILSeptember 2, 2014
Very friendly people to work with , management very flexible with work schedules.
Working at my paste & satisfying my complaining customers.
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee), River Forest, ILAugust 28, 2014
Pros: lunch
A typical day @ this job is mostly making sure that the vendors are in the right place & have the correct paper work. I learned to take my time & comply to customer's complaints in a as needed basis & with minimal supervision. Really didn't have coworkers working with me only when things got busy & heckted. But when I did work with a coworker they were very polite, helpful, & taught me well in areas I needed help in. There were really no hard parts in this job but this job had a number of enjoyable parts.
Enjoyed my time working here, a valuable work experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILAugust 27, 2014
Pros: good health insurance, decent pay
Cons: very short breaks, too many managers sometimes
Every day working with the public always produced a different set of
problems that had to be dealt with, although I have always worked jobs that involved interacting with the public, this was different because it was fast paced, you had to be on your toes, and we were
always being reviewed for advancement and raises. I think the best part was all the people I got to meet through my job, I developed lasting friendships with some, had some situations that were quite
extraordinary, from angry and hostile people, drunks, and other people from all walks of life. There was seldom a dull day working
for this company.
Perfect first job
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee), Oak Park, ILAugust 20, 2014
I worked in the bakery. My co workers were pleasant, my department manager was very rude. Outside of him Dominick's was a pleasure. Nice people, nice hours a very nice atmosphere. I was sad to see it close down.
Great time working at one of the top locations in Chicago
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 26, 2014
Pros: hours, family, regular customers, managment
Cons: safeway inc
Although some Dominick's locations do poorly, mainly due to their "lack luster" locations, many were a vital staple of the Chicago area. At the end of 2013, Safeway Inc (based in CA) liquidated nearly 80 Dominick's stores for corporate gain.

This company was nice to work for. Not the best pay but plenty of hours and a wonderful family feel.

It is unfortunate that these stores were dissolved by greedy suits who put 10,000 people out of work, but oh well. These things happen and those who plann to land on their feet will.
I learned so much from different pharmacists
Data Entry, Prepare Medication (Former Employee), Dominick's Willowbrook ilJune 24, 2014
Pros: great boss
Cons: needed more dedicated workers
I learned awesome customer service with customers and employees also stability and great work environment which produces great and dedicated workers
Great work place and area
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Customers love when you help in every way as possible, treat them right and they will love you forever
Dominick's
Assistant Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 14, 2014
Pros: great healthcare, hourly wage, and vacation.
Cons: due to frequent management changes, having to prove myself over and over again.
I started at Dominick's as a sixteen year old bagging clerk, quickly advanced to cashier, and then to bookkeeper within the first eighteen months. A typical day involved handling customer complaints and returns, answering phones, check cashing, register pickup and til verification, as well as armored truck delivery verification, and daily sales reporting. Management rotated frequently, and I had to adjust accordingly to the differing personality types. I worked with many terrific people at Dominick's, and developed friendships with some customers as well. The hardest part of the job was juggling several tasks at once, but I did it well, and it taught me great multitasking skills.
Not enough work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 20, 2014
Cons: not enough hours
The work was fun, but not a lot of work to do. I learned how to treat the customers and always asking them do they need anything. The hardest part of the job was not a lot of hours. I went to work every day and they would sometimes send me home to save on hours.
This was one of the finest jobs I've ever done
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Northlake,IllinoisMay 10, 2014
Pros: driving safe equipmemnt, working for a company that took pride in its employees
I worked 2nd shift as a tractor trailer driver.We delivered to every Dominicks store , you had no set route. We also would make pick ups at various vendors for the company.My co-workers were fellow union members who took pride in their job. I enjoyed driving and doing a good job every day.

1 2 3 4

About Dominick's Finer Foods

Dominick's Supermarkets feeds residents of the Windy City. The company is the second-largest supermarket operator in the metropolitan – Read more

Dominick's Finer Foods Photos