Dominion Virginia Power Employee Reviews

good expereience
SQL Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAMarch 22, 2017
good place to get a career advancement. The management staff is extremely understanding and helpful. what you learn here can lead you to a wonderful future.
Great work place
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaJanuary 31, 2017
Designed the system that identifies customer behavior patterns. This customer data helps company to better understand and respondto customer’s needs.
Supervisor, Northwest Regional Operations Center (Current Employee) –  Dominion, VADecember 6, 2016
Great place to work. People genuinely care for your well being and want you to succeed if you put in the necessary work. Opportunities for advancement exist.
No work/life balance and company doesn't care about you
Essential personnel (Current Employee) –  VADecember 2, 2016
The company tells you they support you and help you succeed, but they can easily say and not do. The company promotes work life balance but denies the employees the right to equal work life. The management only cares for themselves and the brown-nosers that can kiss up to them and there bosses. Worked there five years and have gone above and beyond and management cares more for the slackers than the actual worker getting job done. New comers talk highly about company but no experience. Senior personnel will tell you the truth. The company gloats to be the best, but be better working at McDonalds probably get better respect.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
no work/life, extensive hours, and tons of traveling at any time.
Productive and nice place to work
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAOctober 18, 2016
DVP has the Most friendly environment ever. A very competitive compensation is provided. Great work and research are being done.
Challenging work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VASeptember 28, 2016
Working in the power generation field was exciting and always a pleasure working with professionals.
Working at a Nuclear installation that generates electricity was demanding, but always interesting to see how the plant operates. Working with steam turbines is a specialty.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
The project always comes to an end
I learned some great skills here
Telecommunications System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dominion, VAJune 20, 2016
The opportunity here was something that I was looking for to sharpen my skills. I hope to continue my career in utilities telecommunications
Pros
Fantastic expreince
Cons
contract position
Over All Satisfaction as a Customer Service Rep with Dominion
Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAMay 7, 2016
Customer Service Representatives,are the main artery to a successful company. Being a good listener with a caring and supportive attitude, plays an important role in any Company's Success.
Pros
Enjoyed assisting customers and other departments as needed
Cons
Unfortunately, you can not resolve every customers issue.
Wouldn't work here
Electric Distribution Project Designer II (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAApril 14, 2016
Management is good old boy system and not good to minorities and women per experience. Not paid as much as non minority and treated poorly from experience.
Work Summary
Project Team Lead - DVP Training and Development (Current Employee) –  Dominion, VAMarch 31, 2016
The company is a very well-structured organization with numerous opportunities for growth. However, employees are required to move locations on a regular basis.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Location unstability
A shadow of what it used to be
Senior Business Performance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 27, 2016
Dominion was once looked at as a GREAT place to work and is now just GOOD. Dominion is a financially strong company with a myriad of opportunities to grow and learn different skills. I joined Dominion when they had a pension plan, unfortunately they do not offer that anymore. There were a bunch of other perks related to vacation, parties, health care policies, and general morale that have deteriorated over the years. Dominion's salaries are a bit below market value but their value proposition used to be that it was a stable utility and your job was secure. Over the last 10 years I have seen 3 large layoffs, and now the mantra seems to be "do more with less". A large part of the compensation plan for non-union employees is the Annual Incentive Plan (AIP). for individual contributor it could be 8.5%-10%, Supervisor and senior level individual contributors are 12.5%, project managers are 15%, and manager 20% of your yearly salary. Unfortunately the goal structure to earn this bonus cannot be effected by individuals or even whole departments. Its is mostly driven by the earnings per share, which is largely weather driven.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, great benefits, stable company, excellent training
Cons
unceartain bonus environment, layoffs, low salary compared to peers
good work place
underground lineman (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 6, 2016
fun plac e to work. advancement always available overtime ample, work force well trained. people very nice.clean trucks, well mainted property
productive and benefits
Coal Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Learned how to run equipment efficiently and better use of computers
management was helpful and proficient
co-workers were helpful and made daily working environment pleasant
long hours made the job stressful
job itself and the people made everyday enjoyable

Pros
breaks
Cons
long hours and a lot of overtime
Dominion was a very structured learning environment.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 4, 2015
Dominion was a very structured company. It was an awesome experience in how corporations operate as oppose to smaller businesses. The management varied widely. There were people who were interested in helping entry level applicants to advance and there were some who were not. I met great co-workers at Dominion. I have some life long friends during my career. The hardest part of the job was the lack of flexibility. During my career, I started as a single young woman and grew into a wife, mother and career woman. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to interact and educate people daily. Electricity is a necessity. Helping people to learn how to use it to their advantage was the best part of the job. I was downsized with a considerable number of people which ended my Dominion career. I do not believe that the separation was personal. I simply believe that it was a business transaction. Th
Pros
The company offered excellent benefits.
Cons
There was little flexibility. The company didn't accommodate an ever changing family dynamic.
Ok place if you're okay with limited advancement and nepotism
Distribution (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 17, 2015
The only people who are promoted and now hired at this office are the three "F's": Friends, Family and Favorites. There are people here that have been here since the 1960's and 70's that are doing basically the same job or have only recently been promoted to second tier roles. Meanwhile recent hires with relatives and friends in high places are promoted within a few years and those individuals insure their friends and favorites are promoted. Very political. Very cliquish.

benefits ok. compensation marginal. work-life decent. immediate supervisors incompetent...friends, family and favorites.
Pros
sound company, friendly co-workers, decent benefits, work life balance
Cons
direct leadership incompetent, disgruntle employees, too many others to list
enjoyable place to work and learn
Electrical Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAOctober 23, 2015
I am enjoy my time working at the company. Management group are very helpful the whole time I am working there. Coworkers are willing to go extra to help you whenever you need help.
Little responsibility for internship given
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Dominion is a very respectable company; however their internship program leaves a lot to be desired. With no real responsibility given, most of my time was spent twiddling my thumbs watching the clock tick. Most of what I did was just shadow real employees. I got a taste of a working environment but I had very little work.
Fun place
Technical Lead Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VADecember 9, 2014
Dominion was a great company however the management was not the best. very unapproachable and at times did not understand the needs of the employees.
Pros
great company
Cons
everything depends on whos the manager
High Energy Professional Environment
Customer Solutions Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 18, 2014
My position required me to work with customers in providing them with reliable electric service.
I learned engineering and drafting principles
Management was hands on, always accessible
My colleagues were an assortment of ages, education, work experience who were tasked to support one another. Mentoring opportunities were available.
The most challenging part of the job was working multiple complex construction designs while satisfying multiple customer's schedules
I enjoyed the customer experience, listening to their needs and fulfilling them to their satisfaction
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
High stress environment
Job Security indeed
Right-of-Way Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 11, 2014
Many have made a solid career here and have retired and have supported their families well!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dominion Virginia Power. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2