Dominion Virginia Power Employee Reviews in United States

Wouldn't work here
Electric Distribution Project Designer II (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAApril 14, 2016
Management is good old boy system and not good to minorities and women per experience. Not paid as much as non minority and treated poorly from experience.
Work Summary
Project Team Lead - DVP Training and Development (Current Employee) –  Dominion, VAMarch 31, 2016
The company is a very well-structured organization with numerous opportunities for growth. However, employees are required to move locations on a regular basis.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Location unstability
A shadow of what it used to be
Senior Business Performance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 27, 2016
Dominion was once looked at as a GREAT place to work and is now just GOOD. Dominion is a financially strong company with a myriad of opportunities to grow and learn different skills. I joined Dominion when they had a pension plan, unfortunately they do not offer that anymore. There were a bunch of other perks related to vacation, parties, health care policies, and general morale that have deteriorated over the years. Dominion's salaries are a bit below market value but their value proposition used to be that it was a stable utility and your job was secure. Over the last 10 years I have seen 3 large layoffs, and now the mantra seems to be "do more with less". A large part of the compensation plan for non-union employees is the Annual Incentive Plan (AIP). for individual contributor it could be 8.5%-10%, Supervisor and senior level individual contributors are 12.5%, project managers are 15%, and manager 20% of your yearly salary. Unfortunately the goal structure to earn this bonus cannot be effected by individuals or even whole departments. Its is mostly driven by the earnings per share, which is largely weather driven.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, great benefits, stable company, excellent training
Cons
unceartain bonus environment, layoffs, low salary compared to peers
good work place
underground lineman (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 6, 2016
fun plac e to work. advancement always available overtime ample, work force well trained. people very nice.clean trucks, well mainted property
productive and benefits
Coal Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Learned how to run equipment efficiently and better use of computers
management was helpful and proficient
co-workers were helpful and made daily working environment pleasant
long hours made the job stressful
job itself and the people made everyday enjoyable

Pros
breaks
Cons
long hours and a lot of overtime
Dominion was a very structured learning environment.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 4, 2015
Dominion was a very structured company. It was an awesome experience in how corporations operate as oppose to smaller businesses. The management varied widely. There were people who were interested in helping entry level applicants to advance and there were some who were not. I met great co-workers at Dominion. I have some life long friends during my career. The hardest part of the job was the lack of flexibility. During my career, I started as a single young woman and grew into a wife, mother and career woman. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to interact and educate people daily. Electricity is a necessity. Helping people to learn how to use it to their advantage was the best part of the job. I was downsized with a considerable number of people which ended my Dominion career. I do not believe that the separation was personal. I simply believe that it was a business transaction. Th
Pros
The company offered excellent benefits.
Cons
There was little flexibility. The company didn't accommodate an ever changing family dynamic.
Ok place if you're okay with limited advancement and nepotism
Distribution (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 17, 2015
The only people who are promoted and now hired at this office are the three "F's": Friends, Family and Favorites. There are people here that have been here since the 1960's and 70's that are doing basically the same job or have only recently been promoted to second tier roles. Meanwhile recent hires with relatives and friends in high places are promoted within a few years and those individuals insure their friends and favorites are promoted. Very political. Very cliquish.

benefits ok. compensation marginal. work-life decent. immediate supervisors incompetent...friends, family and favorites.
Pros
sound company, friendly co-workers, decent benefits, work life balance
Cons
direct leadership incompetent, disgruntle employees, too many others to list
enjoyable place to work and learn
Electrical Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VAOctober 23, 2015
I am enjoy my time working at the company. Management group are very helpful the whole time I am working there. Coworkers are willing to go extra to help you whenever you need help.
Little responsibility for internship given
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Dominion is a very respectable company; however their internship program leaves a lot to be desired. With no real responsibility given, most of my time was spent twiddling my thumbs watching the clock tick. Most of what I did was just shadow real employees. I got a taste of a working environment but I had very little work.
Fun place
Technical Lead Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dominion, VADecember 9, 2014
Dominion was a great company however the management was not the best. very unapproachable and at times did not understand the needs of the employees.
Pros
great company
Cons
everything depends on whos the manager
Job Security indeed
Right-of-Way Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 11, 2014
Many have made a solid career here and have retired and have supported their families well!
Dominion Virginia Power
Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VANovember 1, 2014
This was a nice company to work for. A lot of benefits and people who were there to help you secure your job.
Great Place to Work
Lead Project Designer (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 10, 2014
Dominion is a great place to work for. As with any company, if you have the right skills and mix in with the right people you will definitely go far.
Pros
job stability
Clean and relaxed work place
Energy Advisor - Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2014
Work always started in an environment filled with productivity, ethnicity, and respect. I learned and developed strong and valuable communication skills under different circumstances. Management was always supportive and informative. Co-workers were diverse friendly, and respectful. Most difficult part of work would often come down to relaying bad news to customers. Most enjoyable part of the work experience was all the opportunities given to learn.
Pros
frequent employee lunch provided, many holidays off
Cons
mandatory overtime with bad weather
Great company to work for.
Billing Administrator-Specialized Billing (Current Employee) –  VAJanuary 21, 2014
I have had a wonderful experience working with Dominion. With our current economic situation, all companies are faced with challenges. Dominion has made plans and stayed focus throughout all challenges.
Great Company
Delivery Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2014
Worked in delivery design. Was able to have a lot of freedom and exercise own choices to do work. Awesome pay, relaxed atmosphere. Highly efficient, culture focused on doing the job right for the customer, not budgets.
Pros
atmosphere
Good solid work place
Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 26, 2013
I work in the operations department where we work 24/7. Storms are a must work. the work/life balence is somewhat non-existant. working weekends and nights are tiring.
Pros
good pay
Cons
sitting 24/7. work life balance
Dominion is an employee advocate
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 16, 2013
Once you are employed with Dominion they work consistently to move you forward on the corporate ladder and train/educate each employee for advancements.
Great Company
Human Performance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mineral, VAMay 2, 2013
Great company to work for with a lot of fantastic people. Everyone in the station always seemed willing to help others out even in other departments. A lot of unity.

Pressure was huge when things didn't go right. Everyone pitched in and was expected to work some long days.

Some of the entry level jobs were difficult to progress out of if you were looking for advancement only because there were 100 people in your department with exactly the same skills and experience. You had to bring something from a previous job, do independent study, or volunteer for some of their process improvement tasks.
Greatest grown obtained while working here.
Administrative Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 18, 2012
In a department employing 7 clerks, mine was the only position which was completely unique. I was allowed to learn a system and become the "go-to" person for all outside vendors using this billing system. I was in charge of maintaining and updating all contractual changes into the system so billing would be done at most current rates.

My boss and I traveled throughout several states, providing training to the office staffs of many companies who did tree trimming work for our company.
Pros
varied work, outside travel and training, personal and professional growth.
Cons
location