Dominion Youth Services Employee Reviews

Overall Work Experience
Lead Counselor for TDT (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 25, 2014
The only thing I regret is having to leave this company. I enjoyed my overall experience. I am currently in the process of moving.

A typical day at work consist of being mobile from classroom-to-classroom and back to your designated area to complete all notes due, and any paperwork due for upcoming dates.

Management was great at the Roanoke office; however, communication from Program Coordinators to Lead Counselor's can be a little inconsistent (very seldom). Overall all levels were great with communicating changes, needs, upcoming trainings, and due paperwork.

Co-workers: Even though the agency has over 50 employee's at the site you will only be working with the employees at the school you are assigned to. Nevertheless, the summer program, program meetings, trainings, company events will allow you to meet everyone. The employee's at this company were a great group of people to work with. If not for them, a typical workday would be boring.

For most employees the most difficult part of this job is the paperwork. The stress of paperwork can be reduced with proper time management (know your dates/plan ahead) and communication. If you are behind, request for help and communicate it with your Program Coordinator and Clinician. THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU!!!

The most enjoyable part about working for this company is working with your coworkers, trainings, and assisting your clients on a daily basis.

NOTE:

You will be working with an array of clients with several behavioral issues that will test your patience. This can be difficult for an individual when wears their emotions on their
  more... sleeves. The cure to this is VENTING. I wouldn't recommend violating confidentiality and HPPA laws by engaging in side conversations with teachers and principals, but venting with your coworkers (Lead Counselors, Clinicians, Director, Program Coordinators) can be very beneficial; can provide both laughter and knowledge in coping skills for yourself and for your dealing with your client.

Personal issues with specific employee's come with the territory of any job; therefore, should you have any personal issues be certain to communicate your problems with them. If you cannot, I wouldn't recommend gossiping with others. Nothing is more detrimental to an working environment than personal issues that you are afraid to address. It can disrupt productivity and the rapport between you and your coworkers.

Don't be lazy in this field. Communication is EVERYTHING. Especially with your clients. Nothing is more important than the rapport you build with your client. Plan your paperwork accordingly.

Goodbye. I'll Miss you all

Stop Waiting and Apply For This Position!!!
Pros
possibilty of advancement, raises are given, the company will do whatever they can to ensure their employees voices are heard
Cons
poor health benefits in coventry
No loyalty - Deceptive Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 19, 2013
I was upper management and was pushed out by the owners due to the owners need to sustain their luxurious lifestyles. After leaving Dominion Youth Services, I learned that several upper management personnel were treated the same way, given duties they would not like, offered promises that were not kept, creating an uncomfortable situation, which ultimately led to either termination or resignation.

The owners will do anything possible to sustain luxurious lifestyles even if that means pushing loyal employees out and keeping current salaries low. They were informed by credible accountants that Dominion Youth Services is too top heavy however they refused to do anything about it on their end.

Prior to Christmas break, they laid off employees state wide the day before their holiday vacation just so they did not have to pay for their holiday...a holiday that was earned by hard working employees. The owners are notorious for this type of behavior. Instead, the 5 owners went to an Island in the Caribbean, shared an elaborate house with their families and spent lavishly on meals and "purses" all I'm sure written off by the business even though tax payer dollars fully fund this organization as it feeds off of the medicaid system.

I believe the moral character of Dominion Youth Services is bankrupt and self serving and lacks the important and integral components necessary to sustain itself over time.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
the owners, management and it trickles down...
Awful Work Environment
counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 25, 2014
Management micromanaged even the good employees. Dominion is an unstable environment, many people working there including myself did not feel secure and even a manager shared this with me. Many counselors and some management have either resigned or found new opportunities because of the way they were treated by upper management / owners. There were many promises made to me such as I had management potential, I would be paid a lot more money when promoted, there is plenty of opportunity for growth, which did not happen.

My overall assessment:

Dominion lacks a moral compass that is necessary for it's employees to thrive based on it's continuous lies and fuzzy mission.

Makes promises it will not keep.

Continuous turnover.

Fearful environment, driven my micromanagement.

Final words, if you land a gig with Dominion, you can get mental health experience, which will help in landing better future opportunities.
Pros
experience
Cons
deceptive company, continuous turnover, fear driven environment
About the money - Not the children they serve
School Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 20, 2012
Federally funded private company - your tax payer dollars fund them.

Owners live in lavish homes, live lavish lifestyles, will terminate, lay off employees to maintain their lifestyles. This top heavy allocation of funding explains the lack of quality programming, deficient salaries and employee low morale.

Micromanagement, little pay,unnecessary trainings and calling same day and weekly meetings without warning has contributed to very low employee morale throughout company.

No overtime is paid even though they require you to work overtime weekly.

About the money. They used to give time off to employees during the summer where every Friday was off. The program would have a week to prepare after school ends. The program started immediately last year with no preparation or planning time. This ensures continuous billing and reimbursement by medicaid.
Pros
get to help others
Cons
employees not respected by management
Not a good place to work
Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VaApril 16, 2014
When I started working here they made it seem like the happiest place and that they will have your back. The truth is, everyone is so afraid of upper-management they bear down on you as hard as they can to make sure the company makes all the money it can. The employee morale is very low. I didn't know one person in the day treatment program that wasn't looking for a new job. The program isn't effective with the children it works with and some employees don't actually do intervention with kids and then they make up notes. The management has been known to fire many people in order to save money and avoid giving holiday bonuses so they can make more money. The documentation, like the rest of the job is very micromanaged and you often get notes rejected based off of a single word. You can do better than Dominion... anyone can.
Pros
the clients are great
Cons
micromanagement, useless trainings, money-focused company, ineffective program, low pay, and no room for advancement
Terrible work environment
Lead school based counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 12, 2012
This company does not care about its employees. They took away annual raises and instead developed a bonus policy based on productivity & you can be certain you will never get the bonus. They pay very little and will work you till the bone. You will be forced to take your work home with strict deadlines. Micro managing with no regard to your personal life. They have no care or investment in the kids. The turnover rate is very high and it's definitely not therapeutic as they would have you believe. See if you can find more than 2 people who actually enjoy working here. EVERYONE is actively looking for a new job! They laid off many people to save money and replaced them with inexperienced individuals and payed them much less. Will take your free time/personal time for unnecessary trainings.
Pros
good environment to get clinical experience
Cons
poor pay, high turnover, micro manage, intensive documentation, unnecessary trainings
My overview of the organization rates between 5 and 6
1 Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2013
I find Dominion Youth Services a very enjoyable and reputable organization to work for. The integrity of the organization and how they treat their employees are indeed an asset. Dominion Youth Services offers a variety of programs that focuses on their needs and challenges.

One of the most recognizable assets of Dominion Youth Services is how they recognize the importance of providing quality programs that allow children and adolescents to develop the skills necessary for success. Dominion Youth Services is committed to enhancing the lives of youth by instilling in them a belief that they have the capabilities to achieve their goals.
Pros
ability to advance in the company.
Cons
being qualified in various positions in the company to advance.
Very fulfilling morally and as a great job to have and be a part of
Behavioral Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2012
I worked in various public schools as an aide for children with handicaps or behavioral disorders. I learned that regardless of how hard the job or child may seem after building a relationship with them the daily struggles of their day to day activities became easier and more maintable. I worked independently so I did not have much contact with any other employees. The most enjoyable part is that I felt I was helping children and showing them that I would always be there to help them in a time of need.
Pros
working with children
Cons
travel
Work is demanding but rewarding
Management (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 7, 2012
The company has undergone some major changes in the past year due to government requirements of which resulted in layoffs. The company continues to grow and the owners and management are working very hard to redevelope the culture and life/work balance of the company. We are now working with renewed energy and a new direction in regards to the culture of the company and the value of our employees.
Pros
friendly work environment, flexibility
Cons
grew at a fast pace
Challenging work, good people.
Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VaJuly 10, 2012
I've been with Dominion for almost 8 years. I love the people and the environment. I've learned a lot from my supervisors and colleagues. The clientele is challenging, but it feels good to help people.

I'm part of management and legislation has forced us to make tough decisions over the past year or two. But they were done for the good of the company. The entire mental health field has faced these same challenges.
Pros
good people, good learning environment
Cons
tough clients
tough but rewarding
counselor (Former Employee) –  richmond, vaOctober 17, 2013
Working in any privately own, government funded program makes for a difficult environment. The state has very strict reglautions that Dominion's management and clinical team enforce making the services ethical and honest, unlike many other companies in this field.
If you want to work hard and grow clinically this is a good place to work.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
expectations
Dominion is a good employer with excellent benefits
School Based Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raonoke and LynchburgJuly 30, 2015
Same as Anderson counseling my job is unpredictable due to the behaviors of client we work with. However, dominion you received more support and staffs are more matures.
Pros
Friday off during sumemr camp and you gets paid during inclement waether
Cons
Stressful bu you get support form management
great place for college kids
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2013
it starts off nice and they make you think they are their to assist you until an issue comes up then they throw you under the bus.
Pros
flexible, good hours.
Cons
low pay, no compensation for off times, no opportunities for advancement, never get a raise, places you are sent to treat you like a second class citizen
Overall I enjoy working for Dominion Youth Services.
paraprofessional aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, Va.February 10, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching individuals learn. A typical day for me involves teaching and assisting other students with academic work.
Pros
having the proper training to help you perform job more effectively
Cons
no benefits
good job
mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 12, 2012
I enjoyed working with kids in need. I learned that the richmond school system is flawed. My co-working workers were all women and ask me to do things outside my job requirements. The hardeest part of the job was dealing with bad students. I enjoyed the school day schedule
Pros
bad students
Cons
the hours
Very Challenging
One to On Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Working with at risk youth in school setting. Responsible for youth in classroom, making sure student is on time and prepared for the school day. Tutoring and counseling youth throughout the day. Completing daily progress notes on youth performance weekly
Great company
One to one counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 20, 2015
Enjoyed my time at this company and having direct work experience with the children I provided services to. A laid back work environment as made this job enjoyable.
Joint partnership for behavioral services
CONTROLLER/BUDGET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2013
Growing company that help adults and children manage behavioral and mental health issues.
Productive workplace
Behavior Aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 26, 2014
An environment that is conducive to the growth of children. The management is very helpful with your growth in the workplace.
I love the company just looking to increase earning potential.
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 30, 2014
Work environment is very pleasant management is phenominal