Dominion Youth Services Employee Reviews

Great service for At-Risk Children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 9, 2017
Dominion Youth Services primary offers education to children who can not function in a normal public school environment.
They offer great opportunities for children and have a fantastic staff members.
Pros
Supported Staff
Cons
Many challenging students
School setting
Behavior Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 2, 2017
A typical day getting student off the bus, spending all day with student, communicating with teachers and staff. Making sure students remain focus throughout the day. Documenting weekly and monthly notes
Pros
School scedhule
Cons
Low Pay
Stressful but good benefits
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 30, 2017
So this company lacks training. They are very punitive manangment. They immediately punish verses teaching you how to fix something if you make a mistake on paperwork. They act understanding when experiencing life stressors that require you to need time off but then act punitive when you return. Good benefits but poor pay.
Pros
Benefits, holiday parties with nice prizes and awards
Cons
Punitive staff
productive, leadership
One to One Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 16, 2017
While working for Dominion Youth Services I had the opportunity to work one on one with multiple students in the Richmond, Virginia area. While counseling the youth there are a lot of responsibilities you have and your accountable for that child as well.
I would not recommend!!
Clinical (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 10, 2017
Management is extremely unprofessional, unethical and unorganized! Culture of the company is cliquish, employee morale is extremely low and there is high turnover. Poor communication stemming from upper management and not as therapeutic as promoted. It's all about the $$$
Pros
Flexibility w/schedule
Cons
Unprofessional, lack of training & support, high turnover
Mental Health Skill Building Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAOctober 11, 2017
Great co-workers and management who look out for one another. Focus is on providing quality services to severely mentally ill-adults. Also has the best compensation package in the area.
Pros
Great work environment and flexibility in the schedule
Cons
Health insurance has a high deductible
Great Supervisor/ Stressfull Enviroment
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 24, 2017
Great management/Not enough hours due to school schedules off summers with no pay! Health benefits are extremely high cost. Stressful clients with extreme behaviors.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Benifits
Extremely unprofessional workplace
Clinician II (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 28, 2017
This company is not a good place to work. They pretend to be one way and are actually the opposite. Management is highly unprofessional. Focus is not on what is best for the client. There is very high turnover across most programs, they don't pay well, and there are horrible benefits. Avoid them if you can.
Cons
High turnover, unprofessional atmosphere, dishonest management
Run! Would not recommend employment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 3, 2017
My experience with the company was the worst experience in my career. The lack of organization and communication from upper management was unbelievable. Very unstable , and unprofessional environment to work in. When I started working, they made it seem like this was a great company to be apart of but it's a complete joke. Lack of support and coaching.
Cons
everything. Too many to write
Fun, relaxed atmosphere. Great management team. Enjoyed time workimg here
Behavior Paraprofessionals (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 25, 2017
During my Tenure working for dominion youth services i have gain valuable experience in behavior health field. I have met great people along the way and have built great working relationships with colleagues and/or clients.

Want to know more about Dominion Youth Services?

Ask a question
Crisis Counselor
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 17, 2017
I enjoyed working with the children assigned to me. I shadowed them while at school to keep on task. The pay was not good at all, I recall it being right above minimum wage at that time.
Interview process
Youth Waver Services (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 9, 2017
This company is extremely unprofessional. They waste your time doing 3-4 interviews, tell you they think you're a great candidate for a position they are developing and that you should hear back in a week or 2, if not get back in touch...then when you try to reach out you never hear from them again!! Who does that?!?! Extremely poor HR management...and this is coming from an HR Admin. I never treat applicants like this!
Very productive job experience.
Reimbursement Manager\Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23227May 4, 2017
Very high pace billing position for 3 lines of business on 3 systems and 2 claims clearing houses. Keeping up with denied claims for correction & refilling. Time management on balancing the work load could sometimes be a challenge to maintain a high collection rate.
The non-administrative staff were a joy to work with.
Great Company to work.
Complete daily data collection to student plans (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 2, 2017
This was my first job in human services. Great work environment to learn how to deal with kids with special needs. The down fall is when the school year is over you do not get paid.
Nice people but stressful students at times
1 Educational Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 11, 2017
Been working here for almost two- years and its been a learning experience for me. I never had before this job been around many people that had an mental illness or disability. This job gave me a better insight into the life of someone who will challenges in their life.
I enjoy working at DYS.
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24019March 18, 2017
I think DYS is a great place to work and that they offer a lot of support and opportunity to get supervision while working. I like the management and my coworkers.
Pros
Management Team, Advancement Opportunities, Great Work Enviornment and Lots of Support.
Cons
Below national average salary for TDT Counselors.
Productive and fun work place.
One-on-One Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 12, 2017
A productive and fun workplace would consist of joining together with coworkers, students, and working as a team to ensure that policy and procedures are meet and followed for all parties involved. Also providing excellent support to both adolescents a the key pointers with upmost importance, Time management and communication will ensure a productive work day for both management, staff, and adolescents. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be successful at meeting goals set and accomplishing all expectations. The hardest part of the job possibly consist of enforcing policy and procedures especially based on the participation of others.
Pros
rewarding positive behavior
Cons
short breaks, timing of activities, group sessions for individual expression
Not a pleasant experience
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 8, 2017
The company has character problems stemming from upper level management on down. There lacks an identity on the actual goal or purpose in providing care to each client. I've heard that the majority of management and director personnel were pushed out leaving a minimal sense of security and longevity. Good stepping stone but I'd avoid Dominion if you can.
Pros
experience
Cons
many
Great company for anyone desiring a career in mental health services
Behavioral Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 28, 2017
Dominion Youth Services is a great company. It has afforded me to gain a vest amount of experience working with students with various disabilities within the school setting. Working with this company, I've learn how to handle crisis situations, how to work along with others as well as the families of the students. The administrators are supportive and they are always available to assist there staff if needed.
Pros
Hands on learning experience, supportive adminitration
Cons
Pay
Dominion Youth Services
Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Dominion Youth Services is a nice place to work. There is always ways to advance and the management team is very supportive and helpful. They offer continued education and training on a monthly basis.
Pros
Continued education
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dominion Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8