Dominion Youth Services Employee Reviews

No room for growth
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2016
Staff are hit and miss.

No room for growth.

They will fire you at the drop of a hat and make sure you know that.

Pay is never consistent, never sure if you will have enough clients, always scrapping for hours. Hourly pay, no chance of salary or room to grow in the company. No benefits, all costs are out of pocket so you end up making less than $20 per hour.

Very slow to change or make changes, not flexible.
Cons
no benefits, hourly
Great place to work.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 16, 2016
I worked for dominion from 2011-2013 and decided to step away from the field for awhile. When I was ready to return back to the field I was quickly hired back on. I enjoy being a contract worker. It gives me a lot of flexibility in my work life and personal life. I am able to take better care of myself being a contract worker. The supervisor and program manager are very supportive and promote self care as well as personal growth.
Pros
Very supportive supervisor.
Cons
Being a contract worker you have to get your own health insurance.
Dominion Youth Services
Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Dominion Youth Services is a nice place to work. There is always ways to advance and the management team is very supportive and helpful. They offer continued education and training on a monthly basis.
Pros
Continued education
Cons
N/A
Love this company and the job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2016
Dominion has recognized my potential and constantly provided me with support, encouragement, and recognition along the way. There is unlimited growth potential here and if you work hard then you are rewarded. Best place I have ever worked!
Pros
autonomy, fun work environment
Great people to work with and to work for!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 25, 2016
I have worked for Dominion 6+ years and I always enjoy coming to work. I think the heart of this company is the people. Yes, there are expectations of performance but it is not hard to perform when you are valued and respected for what you do and given the tools to succeed.
Pros
Smart Casual Dress Code
Loved the work
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 29, 2016
Gave me my start in the field of behavioral therapy. I loved working with the children and leadership was supportive of me. The only reason I'm not there now is my knee injury.
Dominion is a good employer with excellent benefits
School Based Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raonoke and LynchburgJuly 30, 2015
Same as Anderson counseling my job is unpredictable due to the behaviors of client we work with. However, dominion you received more support and staffs are more matures.
Pros
Friday off during sumemr camp and you gets paid during inclement waether
Cons
Stressful bu you get support form management
Supportive and positive feedback for professional growth
Intensive In-home Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 22, 2015
Provides high quality mental health services to clients in need of additional services. Agency is supportive and offers positive feedback for professional growth.
Challenging work, good people.
Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VaJuly 10, 2012
I've been with Dominion for almost 8 years. I love the people and the environment. I've learned a lot from my supervisors and colleagues. The clientele is challenging, but it feels good to help people.

I'm part of management and legislation has forced us to make tough decisions over the past year or two. But they were done for the good of the company. The entire mental health field has faced these same challenges.
Pros
good people, good learning environment
Cons
tough clients
Work is demanding but rewarding
Management (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 7, 2012
The company has undergone some major changes in the past year due to government requirements of which resulted in layoffs. The company continues to grow and the owners and management are working very hard to redevelope the culture and life/work balance of the company. We are now working with renewed energy and a new direction in regards to the culture of the company and the value of our employees.
Pros
friendly work environment, flexibility
Cons
grew at a fast pace

Want to know more about Dominion Youth Services?

Ask a question
Very fulfilling morally and as a great job to have and be a part of
Behavioral Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2012
I worked in various public schools as an aide for children with handicaps or behavioral disorders. I learned that regardless of how hard the job or child may seem after building a relationship with them the daily struggles of their day to day activities became easier and more maintable. I worked independently so I did not have much contact with any other employees. The most enjoyable part is that I felt I was helping children and showing them that I would always be there to help them in a time of need.
Pros
working with children
Cons
travel
My overview of the organization rates between 5 and 6
1 Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2013
I find Dominion Youth Services a very enjoyable and reputable organization to work for. The integrity of the organization and how they treat their employees are indeed an asset. Dominion Youth Services offers a variety of programs that focuses on their needs and challenges.

One of the most recognizable assets of Dominion Youth Services is how they recognize the importance of providing quality programs that allow children and adolescents to develop the skills necessary for success. Dominion Youth Services is committed to enhancing the lives of youth by instilling in them a belief that they have the capabilities to achieve their goals.
Pros
ability to advance in the company.
Cons
being qualified in various positions in the company to advance.
tough but rewarding
counselor (Former Employee) –  richmond, vaOctober 17, 2013
Working in any privately own, government funded program makes for a difficult environment. The state has very strict reglautions that Dominion's management and clinical team enforce making the services ethical and honest, unlike many other companies in this field.
If you want to work hard and grow clinically this is a good place to work.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
expectations
great place for college kids
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2013
it starts off nice and they make you think they are their to assist you until an issue comes up then they throw you under the bus.
Pros
flexible, good hours.
Cons
low pay, no compensation for off times, no opportunities for advancement, never get a raise, places you are sent to treat you like a second class citizen
Overall I enjoy working for Dominion Youth Services.
paraprofessional aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, Va.February 10, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching individuals learn. A typical day for me involves teaching and assisting other students with academic work.
Pros
having the proper training to help you perform job more effectively
Cons
no benefits
good job
mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 12, 2012
I enjoyed working with kids in need. I learned that the richmond school system is flawed. My co-working workers were all women and ask me to do things outside my job requirements. The hardeest part of the job was dealing with bad students. I enjoyed the school day schedule
Pros
bad students
Cons
the hours
Very Challenging
One to On Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Working with at risk youth in school setting. Responsible for youth in classroom, making sure student is on time and prepared for the school day. Tutoring and counseling youth throughout the day. Completing daily progress notes on youth performance weekly
Terrible work environment
Lead school based counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 12, 2012
This company does not care about its employees. They took away annual raises and instead developed a bonus policy based on productivity & you can be certain you will never get the bonus. They pay very little and will work you till the bone. You will be forced to take your work home with strict deadlines. Micro managing with no regard to your personal life. They have no care or investment in the kids. The turnover rate is very high and it's definitely not therapeutic as they would have you believe. See if you can find more than 2 people who actually enjoy working here. EVERYONE is actively looking for a new job! They laid off many people to save money and replaced them with inexperienced individuals and payed them much less. Will take your free time/personal time for unnecessary trainings.
Pros
good environment to get clinical experience
Cons
poor pay, high turnover, micro manage, intensive documentation, unnecessary trainings
Not a good place to work
Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VaApril 16, 2014
When I started working here they made it seem like the happiest place and that they will have your back. The truth is, everyone is so afraid of upper-management they bear down on you as hard as they can to make sure the company makes all the money it can. The employee morale is very low. I didn't know one person in the day treatment program that wasn't looking for a new job. The program isn't effective with the children it works with and some employees don't actually do intervention with kids and then they make up notes. The management has been known to fire many people in order to save money and avoid giving holiday bonuses so they can make more money. The documentation, like the rest of the job is very micromanaged and you often get notes rejected based off of a single word. You can do better than Dominion... anyone can.
Pros
The clients are great
Cons
Micromanagement, useless trainings, money-focused company, ineffective program, low pay, and no room for advancement
Great company
One to one counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 20, 2015
Enjoyed my time at this company and having direct work experience with the children I provided services to. A laid back work environment as made this job enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dominion Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Dominion Youth Services Reviews by Location