Dominion Youth Services

Dominion Youth Services United States Employee Reviews

Overall Work Experience
Lead Counselor for TDT (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: possibilty of advancement, raises are given, the company will do whatever they can to ensure their employees voices are heard
Cons: poor health benefits in coventry
The only thing I regret is having to leave this company. I enjoyed my overall experience. I am currently in the process of moving.

A typical day at work consist of being mobile from classroom-to-classroom and back to your designated area to complete all notes due, and any paperwork due for upcoming dates.

Management was great at the Roanoke office; however, communication from Program Coordinators to Lead Counselor's can be a little inconsistent (very seldom). Overall all levels were great with communicating changes, needs, upcoming trainings, and due paperwork.

Co-workers: Even though the agency has over 50 employee's at the site you will only be working with the employees at the school you are assigned to. Nevertheless, the summer program, program meetings, trainings, company events will allow you to meet everyone. The employee's at this company were a great group of people to work with. If not for them, a typical workday would be boring.

For most employees the most difficult part of this job is the paperwork. The stress of paperwork can be reduced with proper time management (know your dates/plan ahead) and communication. If you are behind, request for help and communicate it with your Program Coordinator and Clinician. THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU!!!

The most enjoyable part about working for this company is working with your coworkers, trainings, and assisting your clients on a daily basis.

NOTE:

You will be working with an array of clients with several behavioral issues that will test your patience. This can be difficult for an individual when wears their emotions on their – more... sleeves. The cure to this is VENTING. I wouldn't recommend violating confidentiality and HPPA laws by engaging in side conversations with teachers and principals, but venting with your coworkers (Lead Counselors, Clinicians, Director, Program Coordinators) can be very beneficial; can provide both laughter and knowledge in coping skills for yourself and for your dealing with your client.

Personal issues with specific employee's come with the territory of any job; therefore, should you have any personal issues be certain to communicate your problems with them. If you cannot, I wouldn't recommend gossiping with others. Nothing is more detrimental to an working environment than personal issues that you are afraid to address. It can disrupt productivity and the rapport between you and your coworkers.

Don't be lazy in this field. Communication is EVERYTHING. Especially with your clients. Nothing is more important than the rapport you build with your client. Plan your paperwork accordingly.

Goodbye. I'll Miss you all

Stop Waiting and Apply For This Position!!! – less
Productive workplace
Behavior Aide (Current Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 26, 2014
An environment that is conducive to the growth of children. The management is very helpful with your growth in the workplace.
I love the company just looking to increase earning potential.
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJune 30, 2014
Work environment is very pleasant management is phenominal
Not a good place to work
Lead Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VaApril 16, 2014
Pros: the clients are great
Cons: micromanagement, useless trainings, money-focused company, ineffective program, low pay, and no room for advancement
When I started working here they made it seem like the happiest place and that they will have your back. The truth is, everyone is so afraid of upper-management they bear down on you as hard as they can to make sure the company makes all the money it can. The employee morale is very low. I didn't know one person in the day treatment program that wasn't looking for a new job. The program isn't effective with the children it works with and some employees don't actually do intervention with kids and then they make up notes. The management has been known to fire many people in order to save money and avoid giving holiday bonuses so they can make more money. The documentation, like the rest of the job is very micromanaged and you often get notes rejected based off of a single word. You can do better than Dominion... anyone can.
Overall I enjoy working for Dominion Youth Services.
paraprofessional aide (Current Employee), Richmond, Va.February 10, 2014
Pros: having the proper training to help you perform job more effectively
Cons: no benefits
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching individuals learn. A typical day for me involves teaching and assisting other students with academic work.
Very Challenging
One to On Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Working with at risk youth in school setting. Responsible for youth in classroom, making sure student is on time and prepared for the school day. Tutoring and counseling youth throughout the day. Completing daily progress notes on youth performance weekly
No loyalty - Deceptive Management
Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 19, 2013
Pros: it's a job
Cons: the owners, management and it trickles down...
I was upper management and was pushed out by the owners due to the owners need to sustain their luxurious lifestyles. After leaving Dominion Youth Services, I learned that several upper management personnel were treated the same way, given duties they would not like, offered promises that were not kept, creating an uncomfortable situation, which ultimately led to either termination or resignation.

The owners will do anything possible to sustain luxurious lifestyles even if that means pushing loyal employees out and keeping current salaries low. They were informed by credible accountants that Dominion Youth Services is too top heavy however they refused to do anything about it on their end.

Prior to Christmas break, they laid off employees state wide the day before their holiday vacation just so they did not have to pay for their holiday...a holiday that was earned by hard working employees. The owners are notorious for this type of behavior. Instead, the 5 owners went to an Island in the Caribbean, shared an elaborate house with their families and spent lavishly on meals and "purses" all I'm sure written off by the business even though tax payer dollars fully fund this organization as it feeds off of the medicaid system.

I believe the moral character of Dominion Youth Services is bankrupt and self serving and lacks the important and integral components necessary to sustain itself over time.
tough but rewarding
counselor (Former Employee), richmond, vaOctober 17, 2013
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: expectations
Working in any privately own, government funded program makes for a difficult environment. The state has very strict reglautions that Dominion's management and clinical team enforce making the services ethical and honest, unlike many other companies in this field.
If you want to work hard and grow clinically this is a good place to work.
great place for college kids
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 17, 2013
Pros: flexible, good hours.
Cons: low pay, no compensation for off times, no opportunities for advancement, never get a raise, places you are sent to treat you like a second class citizen
it starts off nice and they make you think they are their to assist you until an issue comes up then they throw you under the bus.
My overview of the organization rates between 5 and 6
1 Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: ability to advance in the company.
Cons: being qualified in various positions in the company to advance.
I find Dominion Youth Services a very enjoyable and reputable organization to work for. The integrity of the organization and how they treat their employees are indeed an asset. Dominion Youth Services offers a variety of programs that focuses on their needs and challenges.

One of the most recognizable assets of Dominion Youth Services is how they recognize the importance of providing quality programs that allow children and adolescents to develop the skills necessary for success. Dominion Youth Services is committed to enhancing the lives of youth by instilling in them a belief that they have the capabilities to achieve their goals.
Joint partnership for behavioral services
CONTROLLER/BUDGET MANAGER (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2013
Growing company that help adults and children manage behavioral and mental health issues.
Very fulfilling morally and as a great job to have and be a part of
Behavioral Aide (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 5, 2012
Pros: working with children
Cons: travel
I worked in various public schools as an aide for children with handicaps or behavioral disorders. I learned that regardless of how hard the job or child may seem after building a relationship with them the daily struggles of their day to day activities became easier and more maintable. I worked independently so I did not have much contact with any other employees. The most enjoyable part is that I felt I was helping children and showing them that I would always be there to help them in a time of need.
good job
mentor (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 12, 2012
Pros: bad students
Cons: the hours
I enjoyed working with kids in need. I learned that the richmond school system is flawed. My co-working workers were all women and ask me to do things outside my job requirements. The hardeest part of the job was dealing with bad students. I enjoyed the school day schedule
Work is demanding but rewarding
Management (Current Employee), VirginiaSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: friendly work environment, flexibility
Cons: grew at a fast pace
The company has undergone some major changes in the past year due to government requirements of which resulted in layoffs. The company continues to grow and the owners and management are working very hard to redevelope the culture and life/work balance of the company. We are now working with renewed energy and a new direction in regards to the culture of the company and the value of our employees.
Challenging work, good people.
Director (Current Employee), Richmond, VaJuly 10, 2012
Pros: good people, good learning environment
Cons: tough clients
I've been with Dominion for almost 8 years. I love the people and the environment. I've learned a lot from my supervisors and colleagues. The clientele is challenging, but it feels good to help people.

I'm part of management and legislation has forced us to make tough decisions over the past year or two. But they were done for the good of the company. The entire mental health field has faced these same challenges.
About the money - Not the children they serve
School Based Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 20, 2012
Pros: get to help others
Cons: employees not respected by management
Federally funded private company - your tax payer dollars fund them.

Owners live in lavish homes, live lavish lifestyles, will terminate, lay off employees to maintain their lifestyles. This top heavy allocation of funding explains the lack of quality programming, deficient salaries and employee low morale.

Micromanagement, little pay,unnecessary trainings and calling same day and weekly meetings without warning has contributed to very low employee morale throughout company.

No overtime is paid even though they require you to work overtime weekly.

About the money. They used to give time off to employees during the summer where every Friday was off. The program would have a week to prepare after school ends. The program started immediately last year with no preparation or planning time. This ensures continuous billing and reimbursement by medicaid.
Terrible work environment
Lead school based counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 12, 2012
Pros: good environment to get clinical experience
Cons: poor pay, high turnover, micro manage, intensive documentation, unnecessary trainings
This company does not care about its employees. They took away annual raises and instead developed a bonus policy based on productivity & you can be certain you will never get the bonus. They pay very little and will work you till the bone. You will be forced to take your work home with strict deadlines. Micro managing with no regard to your personal life. They have no care or investment in the kids. The turnover rate is very high and it's definitely not therapeutic as they would have you believe. See if you can find more than 2 people who actually enjoy working here. EVERYONE is actively looking for a new job! They laid off many people to save money and replaced them with inexperienced individuals and payed them much less. Will take your free time/personal time for unnecessary trainings.

About Dominion Youth Services

And darkness shall have no dominion, as long as Dominion Resources powers lights across the territory it serves. Dominion is one – Read more

Dominion Youth Services Salaries