Domino Sugar Employee Reviews

One of the best jobs i ever had
Bulk Operator (Former Employee) –  Arabi, LANovember 13, 2017
Domino was a perfect launch point to begin my refining career. Though it differs from the petroleum industry it still teaches you the fundamentals of what it takes to run a complex multi-Unit organization. The culture of the refinery was always safety first as well as maximum efficiency.
Pros
Allows you to make your own schedule cause overtime is almost unlimited.
Cons
Wish technology was a little more advanced, still doing a lot of manual information sharing instead of digital traformation.
Fast Pace
Bilingual Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2017
Worked with a group of 5 trading room learn the business. Manger in charge was not nice had his staff cry with his tone of words. I was happy to leave
Pros
free lunch
Cons
health care
Productive and fast paced
Warehouseman/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYOctober 9, 2017
A pleasant place to work, you can learn how sugar is processed, you can learn a lot about management, and you have to work long hours, and follow all safety rules.
Pros
salary
Solid Company
SHIPPING & RECEIVING ASSOCIATE, ORDER PICKER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2017
I've been there for One year and its been a very solid experience. The work is simple with the correct training and the workers are polite and professional.
Pros
Paid lunches, quarterly bonus potential
Cons
lack of overtime
Horrible place to work!!!!!!
Automation Machine Mechanic/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Arabi, LA 70032July 30, 2017
Management plays with hours to accomodate there schedule. Not willing to bend if you have a doctors appointment or need time off. Manipulates employees hours for retaliation,on calling the ethics line for a problem. HR has no clue what happens in production. STAY AWAY if you have a life.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
A Nationally known brand Name
Packaging Engineering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2017
A Plant with 800+ employees. My life was spent with the packaging department. I had the opportunity to learn the packaging lines quickly. Having the confidence of my Managers they recommended I become a Maintenance Supervisor. A plant and manager that quickly moved me up to several titles and responsibilities including Projects. The hardest part of the job was when the elevators failed... eight stories...LOL. I loved the people and the equipment.
Pros
Offers a great living working there no matter the position.
Enjoyable place to work
Logistic Specialty/Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Arabi, LAJune 6, 2017
There's really nothing negative to say about Domino Sugar, good environment to work in, focus on safety, family style relationship, and growth from within the company
Management doesnt't take like to color or anyone that challenges their ideas. if you disagree, you get fired.
SUPPLY CHAIN PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2017
anything you do gets criticized. you always feel like your doing something wrong. it is rare you get appreciated. you feel like a child working there since they are so demeaning.
Pros
holiday lunch if you can make it
Cons
less lunch breaks if busy
Good workplace
1st-2nd Shift Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2016
A good workplace.
A productive place to work.
Good hours but not a lot of over time.
Not a lot of workers.
Hr team is set-up great
a company who does not work with the union
control technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2016
varied jobs; troubleshooting, programming controllers, rebuilding of valves, valve positioners, and other instrumentation
everything learned was from coworkers as this company saw no value in training
management was critical of maintenance and operations personnel
coworkers were almost entirely helpful and friendly
troubleshooting electrical controls (up to & including 440 volts) as most of this was new to me
most enjoyable; rebuilding parts with my coworkers
Ignorant Management
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 31, 2016
Management is by far the worst I have ever seen. The woman maintenance manager has no clue about maintenance and the production manager cares about nothing but making himself look good. Both managers show extreme favorites and don't try to hide it. Fellow workers for the most part and good people. By far the worst place I have ever worked
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours and weekends. Unbelievabley poor managers
Part time
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 20, 2015
Me and 1 other worker arrived at Library, take garbage out, wipe down tables, toys and vacuum the whole facility.

I learned how to be more theral when cleaning.

Management were cool, they rarely bothered us and just let us work.

Hardest part of job was having to beat rush hour to arrive.

The most enjoyable part was that we were not supervised and we could listen to music while cleaning.
Pros
Independent
Cons
Short hours
Productive and efficient workplace.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2014
Very busy fast paced office atmosphere.

Planning and Scheduling along with inventory Procurement.

Management only stepped in as needed.

Very close knit work group.

Juggling many hats was hardest part of the job.

i enjoyed the challenges of maintaining a high on time delivery rate.
high turnover rate
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  cleveland ohioSeptember 18, 2014
If your training to be an machine operator then you mite be ok but if they put you somewhere else, look for another job
Overall good company.
mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baltimore Md.August 10, 2014
Overall good company to work for. Be ready for twelve hour shifts, seven days a week. Average wages are twenty to thirty dollars an hour. You will make tons of money with all the overtime. Family life will not exist. Really a good place for younger people to work. Anyone fifty or over look some where else.
Pros
Money and tons of overtime.
Cons
No home life, hard on families to deal with all the overtime.
Great work culture
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
Management was very supportive, there really was not a typical
day of work. The foundation of my work required much travel,
I learned much about the packaging industry, and have written
many contracts to secure business. The flexible
packaging division was eventually sold prior to me leaving.
Pros
Travel benefits, great work culture
Cons
Compensation
a productive and nice wok envirioment
Line Operator \ Tow Motor Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 24, 2013
a night at domino sugar was fairly slow, but over all nice nights. Co-workers and supervisors were respectful of one another personal space and feelings. The roughest part was when machines broke down and had to be repair, slowing up productivity.
Pros
getting my tow motor license
Cons
not getting hire on
No room for advancement but,very secure company.Buisness never slows down.Unlimited overtime.
Production Foreman/Industrial Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Chalmette, LAMarch 4, 2013
The work is moderate to hard physically most days and mildly challenging mentally on occasion.The working conditions are extremely hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.The benefits are sub par .But, as I said it is rock solid job security and in today's economic environment that is a compelling reason to stay. I have had harder, more challenging and less appreciative work environments.It really isn't all bad.I thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to have this job and provide for my family with the remuneration I earn.
Pros
job security, unlimited overtime.
Cons
extermely hot summers and very cold winters. unlimited overtime.
fast paced hard work
operator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 23, 2012
run and maintain high paced production lines,great people to work with.lots of overtime even when didnt want it. great pay and benefits. relocated to baton rouge
Prepare to live in Cleveland print shop.
press operator (Former Employee) –  cleveland, ohioOctober 18, 2012
I worked for the company for three months. They pay decent to operate flexo presses. Two giant idiots on their second shift who act like babies and do inappropriate things with absolutely no consequences. Every Saturday is mandatory. After a short time it became very apparent that even the money did not make up for all the hours spent there. Inside is about twenty degtees hotter than outside and the safety gear your forced to wear is silly. Management is oblivious to everything and would rather you quit than address your concerns, also frequently threatened to fire me if I did not do what was asked of me. Zero tolerance attendance policy in your first 90 days. The benefits stink, cheap but covered zero on the few occasions I needed to use them.
Pros
hourly pay rate
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Domino Sugar. Our community is ready to answer.