DOMTAR Employee Reviews

Good workers
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Delaware, OHJune 12, 2015
Pros: work hours
Cons: poor managerment
I have good people to work with, but manager in my department does not do a good job, his management skills are not as good as they should be for the amount of experience he claims to have.
Productive and fun work place
Business Analyst - Talent Management (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: awesome coworkers, autonomy
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Productive and supportive workplace
Backstand Techinician (Former Employee), Washington Court House, OHJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: supportive, educational
Cons: long hours, swing shifts
Despite the long hours and the swing shifts, this job was enjoyable and educational. Teammates were supportive and management was committed to safety
Great workplace! Diaper factory.
Assistant Operator (Former Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, discount off diapers, schedule, mangement.
Cons: some coworkers are never happy.
If you like the warehouse/factory setting, this job is for you. One of the nicest factories I have worked at. First, the shift was started off with a safety meeting, and we would go over numbers from the previous shift. We go out to our spots at one of the diaper lines and relieve the shift before us. My position was assistant operator A. Which was second in responsibilities right below the Team Leader. The job requirements were to be able to stand on your feet for hours, observation skills; looking for quality defects/ making adjustments. Working with tools; replace machine parts if damaged, or during changeovers. Management was constantly finding ways to strive. In productivity and safety. The coworkers were like a family, they all knew who I was and I had a good relationship with everyone of them. The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 12 hours. And the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Good enviorment
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: having weekends off.
Cons: short breaks
Prepping rolls and having them ready to put on machine. Was able to learn how to clean and run machine. Management was well. Loved my co-workers on my line. Hardest part was trying to get machine up and running when it shut down.
ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCNovember 6, 2014
Domtar is a good work environment but management could be alot better.
Older industry setting
Safety Intern (Former Employee), Hawesville, KYOctober 19, 2014
More geared to the seasoned veteran employee. As for a young college graduate you will seem out of place.
Inside Sales
Inside Sales /Customer Service (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCOctober 10, 2014
Pros: good company, good training, good support
Cons: too sedentary
Domtar is a great company to work for and I have learned a lot, but sitting in front of a computer all day is something I don't want to do anymore. I would like to have more face to face interaction with customers and move around more.
Good to adequate management.Domtar tries hard to meet or compramise employee needs.Safety,quality and production are stressed as in any manufacturing
Assistant Operator. (Current Employee), Addison Ill.August 31, 2014
Pros: good management, occasional free lunches, excellent training programs, safety meetings and good communications.
Cons: rotating shifts every two weeks, heat, changing work schedules and mandatory overtime and weekend work
Busy,hot,daily safety meetings within teams.Weekly safety meetings with management and available team members.Filling out pre task forms,quality catch forms,hazard analysis forms and multipe,seemingly repetitive,forms.Cleaning and keeping work area safe.Assisting operator and other team members requiring help.

I've learned the use of tools I have never used,good troubleshooting methods,better safety methods through Safe Start program.

Good management open to any suggestions and willing to compramise in "gray areas".

As in all working situations we have differrent personalities and work ethics.We have good,adequate and bad attitudes at Domtar as well as I have seen with any company I have worked for.I choose to make my own opinion about co-workers rather than take the opinions of others about employees they may or may not like.

Rotating shifts and changing schedules are the most difficult part of the job.The heat and humidity are also unbearable at times,even in the winter.Occasionally we have mandatory weekend work which can dissrupt any plans you have made prior to your short notice.

Annual parties (on site),personal recognition for performance above and beyond,occasional lunches and informational meetings and training are second to none that I have ever experienced.The culture Domtar is trying to create is beginning to take shape in my opinion.Moral is not always great but,we do not all have the same attitudes,opinions and work ethics.
Production Planner (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCAugust 18, 2014
Managers and co-workers made this a great place to work. Enjoyed going to work.
very laid back and great people
Accounts Payable - responsible for freight bills (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCMay 19, 2014
Domtar was a very laid back and fun place nothing was ever hard or aggravating
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee), Johnsonburg, PAApril 3, 2014
Pros: team environment, compensation
Cons: watch your back
Domtar is a good company to work for. The pay is good, the company will gladly spend money if you justify the spending. They believe you have to spend money to make money. One big downfall is trust within the organization. There are a few that believe the best way to look good is to make other people look bad. If you can handle that, this is a solid place to work. There will be opportunities for advancement. There is a team environment. As mentioned, the pay is good.
Great place to work.
Crew Leader (Current Employee), Johnsonburg, PAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: the company cares about their employees and the safety of each and everyone!
Being able to part of a very strong safety environment... To have a team concept when one area is having troubles everyone steps up and helps out to get that area lined out and running smoothly again...We have the best co-workers in the industry...
Great entry level job
Material Handler (Former Employee), Washington Court House, OHJanuary 9, 2014
Great team environment, the leadership took time to train, great opportunity to make a good hourly wage with lots of opportunity for overtime
domtar
Utility-Preloader-Press Operator (Former Employee), Langhorne, PAJanuary 1, 2014
moved up in this plant was there for 10 years before they closed there doors i learned many trades like running presses preloading roll doing utility jobs like banding rolls on pallets had great co workers that were like family to me i still keep in touch with a lot of them even after they closed the doors. hardest thing of job was when the press was messing up while you work on getting to to run right
great place to work
Order Puller/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 3, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: worked a lot of overtime/they didnt have enough workers on 2nd shift
I like working here would still be down there if it was not sold
A typical day
Paper Maker (Current Employee), Johnsonburg, PASeptember 20, 2013
A hot and fast paced atmosphere, with a high demand on the employees. Although working safe is a high priority for the company as a whole. Worked as a team, with co-workers, throughout the work day. The most enjoyable part of the day is that at times, the paper I make I have a chance to load that finished product on a truck to a costumer. Giving me the satisfaction of completion, and knowing that I have produced and shipped a high quality product.
Shift work
Papermaker (Former Employee), Ashdown, ARSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: shift work
A typical day at work included working on a hot and humid paper machine. You didn't get set breaks, but that could be a good thing if the papermachine is running right. I also learned what hard work is all about and paying attention to safety.
Good working environment with scope for learning.
SAP Functional Analyst (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCAugust 23, 2013
Knowledge enhancement in skillset as well as business processes is encouraged.
Good pay. Horrible management
Maintenance technician (Current Employee), Kingsport tnApril 15, 2013
Pros: good pay an benefits
Cons: management that knows nothing about making a rational decision.
Domtar pays good and has good benefits. But the management is horrible. They don't let the people working on the equipment make any decisions. This is the people who sees the equipment every day. The decisions are made from the offices without even looking at the equipment. The only reason this mill is still running is because it produces too much paper quantity to shut down. The quality is pathetic. And it's all managements fault. They don't care. It's pathetic.