Doodle Bugs! Children's Centers

Doodle Bugs! Children's Centers Employee Reviews in United States

Not A Fan Of Daycares
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYDecember 19, 2015
The ONLY thing that kept me there for the year that I worked was my fantastic coworkers. Had to leave for multiple reasons: low pay, poor benefits, grossly under-staffed, threats of no bathroom breaks, unappreciative parents, corporate was constantly coming up with ridiculous rules and guidelines to follow, you had to beg/borrow/steal in order to get a single day off, etc. The list goes on and on.

I was smart that when I had to call in due to illness I didn't ask if I could, I told my director I wasn't coming in. If you ask, you'll be expected to come in and they will promise to get you out sooner than your scheduled time to leave. Expect to get sick over and over again for this very reason--ill employees expose their contagious germs to fellow coworkers and to the children as well, it had a potential to be a vicious cycle during flu season.

If your goal is to teach, this is the perfect place to pay your dues and get your feet wet. You'll gain experience working with infants (6 weeks old) to children up to age 5, as well as after-school aged children. You'll definitely end up appreciating working in a real school district one day. If your goal is to pay your bills (hahaha), this is a great pit-stop. You will end up eventually leaving having made some great friendships and awesome memories of the babies/children you cared for. :)
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Low pay with long hours
Profit at the price of children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Penfield, NYMay 25, 2016
This company cares above and beyond about profits and appearances over all else. I loved my kids and the teachers I worked with. Sadly children and teachers are moved around all day long and some are OK with it, many are not. Teachers are overworked (required to work more than 8 hours daily with one 1/2 hr break) which affects the quality of care in many classrooms. Teachers (hourly wage earners) are also encouraged to buy materials for their classroom, even though this is a for profit company. Many materials we needed for lessons were often not available or we had run out.

Liked most of the teachers I worked with and loved the kids and center itself. No room to move up, exhausting work, no raises given. Dead end job paid in good Karma, but not a career choice.
Pros
Teaching kids is the best
Cons
Upper management, wages, the for profit business model at the expense of kids and teachers
Outstanding early childhood educational company
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJune 28, 2015
With over 15 years of experience working in the early childhood education industry, in various roles and companies, Doodle Bugs! Children's Centers cares about children and quality! I have never worked with a company so passionate for educating children, the growth of their employees and creating partners in the local communities; which are just a few attributes to list. The company is hands on and sincerely wants the best for every child and family. We are lucky Doodle Bugs! are growing in Florida.
Pros
company growth, accredited centers, high quality learning enivronments
Happy children, happy parents, happy teachers
Director Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orchard ParkAugust 14, 2013
I applied to work at DoodleBugs! because I was looking for child care for my infant son and was so impressed by the DoodleBugs! approach to early childhood education and employee professional development. It is a first-class establishment - from mindfully designed and meticulously maintained facilities to talented and caring teachers who creatively deliver developmentally appropriate curriculum - there is no better child care center for children and employees. At DoodleBugs! I have a team of coworkers I can respect and learn from/with, a fun and fast-paced working environment, great opportunities to grow professionally, and absolute assurance that my son is well cared-for and thriving. The company administrators are accessible and responsive, and benefits are excellent. Thumbs up!
Pros
a great team, beautiful facilities, responsive management, benefits, professional growth/challenge
Multiple Opportunities for Advancement Within the Company
Director Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, NYAugust 12, 2013
I was hired as an assistant teacher in 2009 and was afforded the opportunity to work my way up to a lead teacher in 2010. Doodle Bugs! has a great development program, allowing employees that work hard and show a dedication to the organization the opportunity to take part in curriculum development, team projects, and creative brainstorming. After 2 years of work in the classroom, I was given an opportunity to work on the other side of the desk as a Director Assistant. Doodle Bugs! is supportive in career advancement opportunities and support their employees by providing an exceptional working envoirnment.
A company with a team that works to provide only the best for their children, their families and their employees.
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYAugust 20, 2013
I began working for DoodleBugs in 2008 as a Program Coordinator. This position allowed me to use my skills gained from receiving my Masters Degree in Education while also opening the door to developing my management style. In a short time, I was promoted to the position of Director at the Webster location and have been there since. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy not only being around those children every day, but also developing great and everlasting relationships with my families and teachers. If you have a can do attitude, then DoodleBugs is the place for you!
A wonderful company to work for!
Center Director (Current Employee) –  West Amherst, NYAugust 14, 2013
I began my employment relationship as a Lead Teacher with DoodleBugs! in 1998 when it was a young program just beginning to grow. As DoodleBugs! has developed into the quality program it is today, I also advanced within the company. I was promoted to the position of Center Director in 2000. DoodleBugs! is committed not only to the families it provides exceptional care for but also to their team members. There is advancement opportunity within the company. Simply said - DoodleBugs! is a wonderful company to work for!
Extremely supportive work environment.
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Clarence NYAugust 14, 2013
Doodle Bugs! really stands behind their Missions statement. Commitment Accountability Respect, and Excellence. They provide a high level of training and support to their team. I am never left with a question unanswered or concern not addressed. I feel lucky to be gaining such invaluable experiences working at such a supportive and high quality company.
Pros
fun environment, employer matched 401k, employer pays up to 75% of healthcare premium
A company commited to providing the very best for children
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Orchard Park NYAugust 12, 2013
I have worked for Doodle Bugs since 2001 and love the fact that I started as a teacher assistant and how I was able to grow with the company. I have always felt supported and a part of the family.
I love how rewarding my career is and how I know that together we are providing the very best care and education to our children. Doodle Bugs! is filled with a great deal of heart & passion- you can feel it at every location.
Great Teachers, Difficult Management
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 9, 2013
If you are interested in pursuing an education career, this is a decent place for recent graduates and current students to get some experience. Mostly young teaching staff and very friendly people. However, management is awful! Teachers are overworked and underpaid. Teachers are continuously taken advantage of - lost days off requests, late schedules, little support when needed, below poverty line pay and you're pretty much forced to come into work when sick as there are absolutely NO substitute teachers. There is rarely any kind of thank you from the director, but there are always criticisms ready to be thrown out. Communication of expectations is awful which results in a lot of upset teachers.

Oh, you also have to sit through a mandatory training once a month in the evening, making it difficult if you have to attend school or if you have another job. This was not mentioned during hiring.

It is definitely one of the better run daycares in the area. But parents should be aware that the teachers get little support from management. Behavior problems go unaddressed because directors refuse to intervene. Kids are often shuffled into random classrooms to meet 'ratios', causing a number of waterworks episodes throughout the day. For the price parents pay, their child should not EVER have to move from their designated classroom. It stresses out teachers who do not know that child that well, and it obviously stresses out the child to be in a new routine and environment.

It has the potential to be a great place to work, but its success is marred by poor management and little knowledge
  more... of best practice in early childhood development. Look elsewhere for employment. I'm happy I did.  less
Pros
free lunch, great teachers, decent curriculum (sometimes it's awful)
Cons
a lot is expected, teachers are overworked, poor pay, not much support
Fairly quality childcare; horrible working environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 27, 2014
As a teacher at Doodlebugs!, I have experienced this childcare company firsthand. While Doodlebugs! Children’s Centers have many strengths, I feel that there are situations that prospective employees and parents should know before they send their children to Doodlebugs!

As a general rule, employees are not allowed to call in sick. While many may attempt to call in, they are told that they have to come in to work because the center does not have enough staff to allow more than possibly one person to be absent. Given that teachers regularly come in to work with illnesses such as bronchitis, pneumonia, stomach bugs, and pink eye, this policy at best communicates callous disrespect for their employee’s health and welfare.

But even more frighteningly, Doodlebugs! consistently and knowingly exposes the young children in their care to contagious germs. For example, teachers have been required to come into work- and continue working full shifts- while vomiting. In addition, employees with bronchitis have come into work before they’ve been able to get medication, meaning they are also likely contagious. I can’t imagine that many parents would be happy knowing that their children are knowingly exposed to such germs. Doodlebugs! has a policy that children who have been vomiting or have a fever in the last 24 hours shouldn’t be brought in. However, there are no such policies for employees. Quite the opposite; employees with fevers or stomach bugs are regularly required to report to work.

Part of the issue with teachers attempting to call in sick is the company's refusal to employ substitutes
  more... or "on-call" teachers. While multiple employees have offered to be on-call, management has told them that, "corporate wouldn't allow that". While I have no idea what the reason could possibly be, these policies are costing them employees and creating a very negative work environment.

In addition, employees seeking part-time work should be particularly warned. Part-time employees at the center where I work are regularly scheduled for 40 hours but are still considered part-time employees; as such, they do not receive any benefits.

Employees receive their schedule the Friday before for the following week. While schedules usually stay fairly consistent, it makes any kind of planning (or a second job) next to impossible. Know this ahead of time if you are applying. They will not tell you this in your interview.

Many teachers often work off the clock, mostly in curriculum preparation and the completion of child assessments/portfolios. They do sometimes need to take assessments home in order to get them completed, as they are not given enough work time out of the classroom to finish them. Most teachers are able to prepare curriculum during naptime if there are two teachers in that classroom, as they “break ratio” during nap. In other words, one teacher leaves the classroom even though technically they are out of ratio at that time. It is my understanding that this is allowed though not encouraged by OCFS (Office of Child & Family Services). However, if there are many children who do not nap or a teacher is alone in the room, curriculum cannot get done and many teachers end up making up for this on their own time. While the management does not directly order this working off the clock, it is absolutely an unofficial expectation.

Also know that employees are not allowed to go to the bathroom for most of the day because of the ratios that need to be maintained. When you call the front desk to ask for a bathroom break, they may or may not be able/willing to send someone to stay in your room for you while you go to the bathroom. While normally it’s not an extended amount of time, it could easily 30-60 minutes if someone can come down at all.
Pros
good coworkers, wonderful children & fantastic parents
Cons
terrible management, unimpressive benefits, etc.
At the core of this company are solid values and an innovative spirit, dedicated to providing the very best for children
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 15, 2013
I relocated to Buffalo last year and began searching for an opportunity in the public schools. Frustrated by the lack of response and professionalism I was encountering, I began to broaden my search and found an opportunity in curriculum development with Doodle Bugs! I took a chance on a position that wasn't exactly what I thought I was looking for, and it becomes more evident all the time I am in exactly the right place. I am surrounded by a company of extremely talented, supportive, positive people with huge hearts and an obvious passion for what they do. This environment has helped me stretch my mind and challenged me to become a better thinker, writer, and member of the educational community. I look forward to the work I have ahead, knowing I am a part of a dynamic group of individuals with a solid purpose and a drive for excellence.
Pros
a work environment of positive passionate people, excellent facilities to work in, high standards of professionalism, challenging and rewarding place to work
Great company!
Center Drector (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYOctober 16, 2013
I started at Doodle Bugs as a Lead Toddler teacher and I have since grown with the company. Currently I am the center director of the Henrietta location. I love coming in everyday to the smiling faces of both the children and my staff. It brings me joy everyday knowing that together we are providing the very best care and education to our children. The company is great, always offering support when needed and the family like atmosphere makes it easy to come to work everyday.
Great Company to work for!
Center Director (Current Employee) –  PenfieldAugust 9, 2013
I am the Center Director at the Penfield location. Our team is very strong and we have some amazing faculty that work here. I have been the Center Director for the past five years and truly love working for this company. It is so rewarding being able to see all the children's smiling faces everyday. Our highly qualified teachers are amazing educators that implement the curriculum with enthusiasm.
Great young company that is growing.
Director of Real Estate & Development (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 12, 2013
The company has been growing for over 20 years, and has great future plans to continue that growth.
Regret every minute
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  West Amherst, NYMay 18, 2013
Terrible place to work. The director was the worst manager I've ever had. No communication, would take weeks to get cleaning supplies, almost every classroom infested with ants, center thermostat set at 78 degrees and would not change (summer was real fun to work in those conditions), the list goes on...