DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

A fast-paced, pressurised working environment
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  DorsetJanuary 4, 2016
I worked for DCC on a fixed term contract. I started work in the Adult services department whilst the organisation was going through a restructure.

The department was very short staffed and I had to 'hit the ground running'! Colleagues were lovely but everyone was too stressed and unable to provide me with the nurturing environment I needed to learn my role in. So I have not applied for a permanent position.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
A highly strung service
A bad experience all round.
Residentiial child care worker (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, ENGDecember 16, 2015
I would class my time with Dorset County Council as one of the worst experiences of my considerably long employment history. They do not abide by their own employee policies, they have an hierarchy of management that are unaccountable to any accepted employment standards. They disregard any view not consistent with their sycophantic relationships and as a new employee they will take considerable pleasure in informing you of nothing and watching you fail.
About something else really
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/AOctober 25, 2015
Have worked for them in mid 90's and it was good until a H & S incident. I received no support so I left.
BUT, this is about jobs advertised by councils...

a Lollipop crossing patrol job 11.67 hrs per week.

11.67 hrs!!! Are they joking?

Where does this figure come from? I mean come on,
This is so tight fisted!
Is it that bad, you can't round up to 3/4 of an hour?
Dumming down jobs means you normally end up with employees with low moral. Its one job I won't be applying for!
Its fine for those at the top on the big money and the modern way of public services, getting it wrong on too many occasions, costing the public more!
One day (maybe) councils will get a grip, instead of hide away in their warm protective cocoons!
Pros
Councils getting it right 80% of the time
Cons
Councils getting it wrong 20% of the time = MASSIVE WASTE!
overall a good place to work
Support Time Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Community Mental HealthOctober 16, 2015
An enjoyable place to work with supportive team and management with provision for training and ongoing personal development.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to work on own initiative
Cons
lone working
Old People are an ever encreasing demographic group. They have modern expectations of their care.
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ferndown Local OfficeOctober 9, 2015
Making appointments. Writing reports, attend meeting, undertake home and welfare check visits, write up assessments
Pros
Very supportive management
Cons
High case loads
Great environment to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Children's ServicesOctober 7, 2015
The administrative team that I was with were welcoming, approachable, fun but exceedingly professional. I have never worked with a more cohesive and friendly team. It was a pleasure to work there and only a shame that I could not stay.
Pros
Like minded team members
Cons
Fixed Term Contract
good place to work
Grounds Maintenance Operative (Current Employee) –  dorchesterSeptember 22, 2015
The job is often rewarding , the hardest part of school maintanence is the change ove at easter running track's etc. My co-workers a good to work with and the best part of the job is working outside.
Good
Treats Toy and Resource Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  DorsetApril 14, 2015
Day to day running of warehouse and shop. Organisation of deliveries and reservations. Maintenance of toys and equipment. Dealing with telephone and email correspondence. Assisting the general public during opening hours. Keeping and updating computer records, invoicing and cashing up. Arranging and delivering safe at home equipment and special needs equipment. Ordering and purchasing of new equipment and arranging its availability. As the only full time member of staff, independent thinking, decision making essential and working as a team to ensure smooth and efficient running of the service.
Great team to work with
Capital Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  DorcesterJanuary 16, 2015
I worked at the Dorset County Council for 6 years I worked with a great team and achieved a tremendous amount with limited funding and resources.

I was made redundant as a consequence of the government funding.
Productive with a good atmosphere too.
Financial Assessment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, ENGJanuary 4, 2015
As long as you were prepared to work hard and be part of the team then there were benefits in the form of flexi time and shorter working hours which made up for the poor salary and insecurity due to short contracts. I would definitely return if the job was right and for a long period.
Pros
flexi
Cons
no security

Want to know more about DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL?

Ask a question
Fun outdoors
Trainee Ranger (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, ENGDecember 28, 2014
I began an apprenticeship in land based studies, this included: heathland management, bridle way/rights of way up keep, tree care, wildlife habitat management. I really enjoyed the wildlife based parts of this job, getting up close to nature. The work was hard and very hands on and in ALL weather. The job placement also came with 1 day a week release to Kingston Mauward College. This is where I studied for my qualification in land based studies and also gained qualifications in manual handling, health and safety, first aid at work and brush-cutter/strimmer certificate. I greatly loved my time as a ranger and was very sad to leave. I unfortunately had to leave due to a family bereavement.
DCC
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Blandford Children's CenterDecember 16, 2014
working for dorset county council at the Blandford Children's Center was a great place to work with freindly people wanting to help you in anyway. I was the receptionist for three months, whilst I was there I cared for the nursery booking system, and other admin duties.
Pros
really friendly place to work, with good rate of pay
Cons
long hours with few breaks
Valued your skills
Manager (Former Employee) –  BovingtonJune 29, 2014
This organisation valued my skills and encouraged me to use them
A new and challenging experience.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, ENGJune 27, 2014
I enjoyed being part of a successful team and I felt that my administrative contribution to their social services expertise
was appreciated by my colleagues.
My contract was initially for one month only but was continually extended to cover a period of nine months in total.
A typical day would be to answer all initial telephone enquiries, to update a bespoke AIS software package regarding new patients to Poole Hospital who were referred to Social Services, to manage all mail in/out correspondence, to scan and photocopy documents on a daily basis, to manage the destruction of classified waste on a daily basis, and to provide any administrative service that my colleagues and managers requested of me.
I learned the complex AIS software package.
I also learned how difficult and demanding my colleagues roles were.
I was managed by an Administration Manager and a Team Leader Manager. I always went out of my way to meet their administrative needs in a prompt ad effective manner. All tasks were completed to their satisfaction.
My co-workers were polite, professional and a pleasure to work for.
Because I worked temporary hours (27 hours per week) the hardest part of my job was to leave the office knowing that my colleagues would still be there until 5 pm or even later.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to learn new skills within a uniquely different administrative environment, and to help my colleagues in any way that I could.
Pros
working with very good people.
Cons
not enough hours - working a temporary contract.
reliable
Admin assistant (Current Employee) –  Wareham, ENGJanuary 23, 2014
friendly staff, a little far to travel.
need more training.
Pros
long term employment
Cons
not enough training
a council in times of change
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  dorchesterNovember 13, 2013
i have worked for the authority for 12 years, and like all authorities, it is in constant change
a quick fun project
Graphic designer/Artist/Animator (Former Employee) –  dorsetOctober 21, 2013
This was a simple programme that i was asked to produce for DCC for a care group, that for some reason indeeds website has picked up on as an actual job for me to have to review, hmmm.
Okay then, This was programme that needed to be put together very quickly, without a solid brief and with only over the phone instructions. I had to make it easily accessable for the people reading it, remembering that they had learning dissabillities that needed to be addressed.
It had to look fun and carry with it a sense of glam.

I enjoyed putting it together, as i do most of my work. Though i didn't enjoy the lack of communication throughout the project, as it meant that a simple project was turned into a bit of a nightmare. Meaning it needed to be redone a few times.
Pros
nice to have worked freelance for dcc
Cons
bad communication
Fun workplace. Supportive Colleagues.
H&S Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, ENGSeptember 23, 2013
Health and safety administration along with course administration. Completed a Customer Service Apprenticeship here.
Cons
no parking.
Productive, learnt a lot of new skills
Customer Services Officer (Former Employee) –  DorchesterJuly 9, 2013
Every day I learnt something new, customers phoned with such a wide variety of enquiries there was always something to learn. Bosses were very supportive and always willing to help.
Great Job
Care Assistant, Care/Ambulance Driver (Former Employee) –  Swanage, ENGFebruary 19, 2013
I loved working with people and this was a very rewarding job.