DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

unproductive and poor management
annonamous (Former Employee) –  Wareham, DorsetJune 13, 2017
The overall management has been appalling to say the least and it has been made worse by the staff members joining their little friend cults which leaves people left out. there has also been a major lack of information or fault reports which leads to numerous amounts of maintenance issues. The discipline of the students is almost non-existent with them and staff are regularly ignoring and altering the policies to their own preferences. On the other hand, it has been a stable source of income and various staff have progressed throughout quite well. depending on the position of your job title, there is many ways for progression if not, as its a government job, there is also a chance of pinging off to another location. by all means, don't be put off. there may be a cult for you. it's just not been my cup of tea.
P.S I would have put the job security as a 4* but with recent cuts its resulted in some redundancies.
Pros
stable job and reliable pay, help with progression in work. pension
Cons
management, staff, pay, funds for equipment
Excellent Workplace
map consultant (Current Employee) –  Home BasedMay 31, 2017
A typical day would be to arrive at 8:30, sit down at the desk do some left over work from the day before for an hour then a days small breif at 9:30. The work place was formal and professional but still had a friendly atmosphere, it made it a pleasure to go to work every day. the hardest part of the job was working in small time contraints due to the nature of the job but was was always achieveable.
Pros
professional atmosphere
Cons
as was i was only a temp it restricted training oportunities
Dcc
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Throughout Dorset and WFHMay 12, 2017
A well organised and professional body.A great organisation to work for and an environment conducive to personal progression

The ability to work within county Hall or work from home makes for a good life/work balance.
Pros
Great Management
great place to work
Senior Practitioner Hospital Social Work Team (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, UKMarch 14, 2017
Great team, great management. supportive and offer training advancement. values staff and promotes team working. enjoyable environment and its in Dorset.
Pros
great team
Professional
Art Technician (Former Employee) –  Lytchett MinsterJanuary 26, 2017
I worked in one of the county's high schools. Very high standards of professionalism, teaching and learning. Very clearly defined management hierarchy and i felt supported by HR and that everything was done correctly when I suffered an accident and was on sick leave.
Pros
Lovely working environment
Cons
Pay a bit low comensurate
variety of work and friendly people
chargehand / team leader (Current Employee) –  anywhere in the county but mainly dorset east areaJanuary 11, 2017
Hard work rain and shine and always have your wits about you,management tick away in the background,co workers are friendly and the hardest parts and the most enjoyable aspects are working outside day in day out
Pros
works van
Cons
stand by rota
Good terms and conditions
Senior Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  WeymouthApril 27, 2016
Good employer with good contractual terms. Bureaucracy can be time consuming and demotivation. Flip side of good terms is that it is easy to get stuck with inefficient staff.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
People at County Hall remote from the front line service
Fine
Forestry and Arboriculture Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  DorchesterMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work my colleagues were very good and helped with all my training. The days went very quickly. The job was good.
Really good place to work
Press Officer (Former Employee) –  DorchesterFebruary 23, 2016
I was only here on work experience for three weeks but it was a really enjoyable and varied job to be in. The people I worked with were extremely welcoming and friendly and it was a very lovely environment to work in. It was great to actually wake up and want to go to work in the mornings!
Nice Employer, little job security
Business and Administration Apprentice (Current Employee) –  DorchesterJanuary 19, 2016
A very Nice employer to work for however, there is currently an issue with job security here due to the amount of cuts made by the government to their funding.
Pros
Suitable Working Leave, Nice Employer
A fast-paced, pressurised working environment
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  DorsetJanuary 4, 2016
I worked for DCC on a fixed term contract. I started work in the Adult services department whilst the organisation was going through a restructure.

The department was very short staffed and I had to 'hit the ground running'! Colleagues were lovely but everyone was too stressed and unable to provide me with the nurturing environment I needed to learn my role in. So I have not applied for a permanent position.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
A highly strung service
A bad experience all round.
Residentiial child care worker (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, ENGDecember 16, 2015
I would class my time with Dorset County Council as one of the worst experiences of my considerably long employment history. They do not abide by their own employee policies, they have an hierarchy of management that are unaccountable to any accepted employment standards. They disregard any view not consistent with their sycophantic relationships and as a new employee they will take considerable pleasure in informing you of nothing and watching you fail.
About something else really
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/AOctober 25, 2015
Have worked for them in mid 90's and it was good until a H & S incident. I received no support so I left.
BUT, this is about jobs advertised by councils...

a Lollipop crossing patrol job 11.67 hrs per week.

11.67 hrs!!! Are they joking?

Where does this figure come from? I mean come on,
This is so tight fisted!
Is it that bad, you can't round up to 3/4 of an hour?
Dumming down jobs means you normally end up with employees with low moral. Its one job I won't be applying for!
Its fine for those at the top on the big money and the modern way of public services, getting it wrong on too many occasions, costing the public more!
One day (maybe) councils will get a grip, instead of hide away in their warm protective cocoons!
Pros
Councils getting it right 80% of the time
Cons
Councils getting it wrong 20% of the time = MASSIVE WASTE!
overall a good place to work
Support Time Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Community Mental HealthOctober 16, 2015
An enjoyable place to work with supportive team and management with provision for training and ongoing personal development.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to work on own initiative
Cons
lone working
Old People are an ever encreasing demographic group. They have modern expectations of their care.
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ferndown Local OfficeOctober 9, 2015
Making appointments. Writing reports, attend meeting, undertake home and welfare check visits, write up assessments
Pros
Very supportive management
Cons
High case loads
Great environment to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Children's ServicesOctober 7, 2015
The administrative team that I was with were welcoming, approachable, fun but exceedingly professional. I have never worked with a more cohesive and friendly team. It was a pleasure to work there and only a shame that I could not stay.
Pros
Like minded team members
Cons
Fixed Term Contract
good place to work
Grounds Maintenance Operative (Current Employee) –  dorchesterSeptember 22, 2015
The job is often rewarding , the hardest part of school maintanence is the change ove at easter running track's etc. My co-workers a good to work with and the best part of the job is working outside.
Good
Treats Toy and Resource Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  DorsetApril 14, 2015
Day to day running of warehouse and shop. Organisation of deliveries and reservations. Maintenance of toys and equipment. Dealing with telephone and email correspondence. Assisting the general public during opening hours. Keeping and updating computer records, invoicing and cashing up. Arranging and delivering safe at home equipment and special needs equipment. Ordering and purchasing of new equipment and arranging its availability. As the only full time member of staff, independent thinking, decision making essential and working as a team to ensure smooth and efficient running of the service.
Great team to work with
Capital Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  DorcesterJanuary 16, 2015
I worked at the Dorset County Council for 6 years I worked with a great team and achieved a tremendous amount with limited funding and resources.

I was made redundant as a consequence of the government funding.
Productive with a good atmosphere too.
Financial Assessment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, ENGJanuary 4, 2015
As long as you were prepared to work hard and be part of the team then there were benefits in the form of flexi time and shorter working hours which made up for the poor salary and insecurity due to short contracts. I would definitely return if the job was right and for a long period.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
No security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.