DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL

DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL Employer Reviews

A new and challenging experience.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Poole, ENGJune 27, 2014
Pros: working with very good people.
Cons: not enough hours - working a temporary contract.
I enjoyed being part of a successful team and I felt that my administrative contribution to their social services expertise
was appreciated by my colleagues.
My contract was initially for one month only but was continually extended to cover a period of nine months in total.
A typical day would be to answer all initial telephone enquiries, to update – more... a bespoke AIS software package regarding new patients to Poole Hospital who were referred to Social Services, to manage all mail in/out correspondence, to scan and photocopy documents on a daily basis, to manage the destruction of classified waste on a daily basis, and to provide any administrative service that my colleagues and managers requested of me.
I learned the complex AIS software package.
I also learned how difficult and demanding my colleagues roles were.
I was managed by an Administration Manager and a Team Leader Manager. I always went out of my way to meet their administrative needs in a prompt ad effective manner. All tasks were completed to their satisfaction.
My co-workers were polite, professional and a pleasure to work for.
Because I worked temporary hours (27 hours per week) the hardest part of my job was to leave the office knowing that my colleagues would still be there until 5 pm or even later.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to learn new skills within a uniquely different administrative environment, and to help my colleagues in any way that I could. – less
reliable
Admin assistant (Current Employee), Wareham, ENGJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: long term employment
Cons: not enough training
friendly staff, a little far to travel.
need more training.
a council in times of change
Project Manager (Current Employee), dorchesterNovember 13, 2013
i have worked for the authority for 12 years, and like all authorities, it is in constant change
a quick fun project
Graphic designer/Artist/Animator (Former Employee), dorsetOctober 21, 2013
Pros: nice to have worked freelance for dcc
Cons: bad communication
This was a simple programme that i was asked to produce for DCC for a care group, that for some reason indeeds website has picked up on as an actual job for me to have to review, hmmm.
Okay then, This was programme that needed to be put together very quickly, without a solid brief and with only over the phone instructions. I had to make it easily accessable – more... for the people reading it, remembering that they had learning dissabillities that needed to be addressed.
It had to look fun and carry with it a sense of glam.

I enjoyed putting it together, as i do most of my work. Though i didn't enjoy the lack of communication throughout the project, as it meant that a simple project was turned into a bit of a nightmare. Meaning it needed to be redone a few times. – less
Fun workplace. Supportive Colleagues.
H&S Administrator (Former Employee), Dorchester, ENGSeptember 23, 2013
Cons: no parking.
Health and safety administration along with course administration. Completed a Customer Service Apprenticeship here.
Productive, learnt a lot of new skills
Customer Services Officer (Former Employee), DorchesterJuly 9, 2013
Every day I learnt something new, customers phoned with such a wide variety of enquiries there was always something to learn. Bosses were very supportive and always willing to help.
Great Job
Care Assistant, Care/Ambulance Driver (Former Employee), Swanage, ENGFebruary 19, 2013
I loved working with people and this was a very rewarding job.
At times my job is stressful
Care Co Ordinator (Current Employee), Colliton AnnexJanuary 7, 2013
Cons: un social hours
An extremely busy office environment, general office duties, working as part of a team, covering sickness from the carers, identifying solutions to problems that arise. I work well within the team. The hardest part of my job is not having job satisfaction.
Generally Good
Youth Support Worker (Current Employee), West DorsetJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: support to others
Cons: do a lot of work which i don't get paid for.
Full on work pattern from the moment doors open to groups.
Learn something new every time.
Clear management structure.
Work as part of a team.
Hard balancing real day to day stuff with local government cuts.
Enjoy empowering others to effect change in their own lives.
good to work for
Bank Chef (Former Employee), based in weymouth have car will travelAugust 17, 2012
Pros: travelling expenses paid
Cons: could be lonely with no one to share things
I was a ''bank chef'' no fixed routine could be weymouth one day christchurch the next. management at DCC very supportive, managers in the care homes could be less supportive, hardest part was not knowing where next, best part was not knowing where next.
I realy enjoyed the ''gypsy life style'', co workers could be difficult they had their set routines – more... and did not like strangers upsetting everything . I learned very quickly to keep my mouth shut and get on with the job..if there was a problem I did not go to the manager until I had a solution for them to approve. – less