Dougherty County School System Employee Reviews

As long as
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 3, 2017
As a whole my work experience there was somewhat satisfying. During my latter years my teaching position presented more challenges wherein my time to educate my students was diminished. Students were given the power and myself along with other teachers suffered. Five of the eight teachers that taught on the hallway that I was on left this school system.
Pros
Teachers supported each other.
Cons
Insufficient support from administrators
Working with children is rewarding in itself.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 2, 2017
A typical day at work is trying to steer bad behavior into good. Some children come from two parent wholesome homes but most come from a one parent home with little supervision. We realize that it really doesn't matter what type of home they come from, it's about the people they hang around. If they get anything positive from what is being conveyed, then work is not in vain. Having a good leader makes the job more enjoyable. However, just knowing that you helped in changing a child's life makes it all worth coming to work.
Pros
Knowing that a child's life has changed
Cons
The negative mindset of some of the children
educational and exciting
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 16, 2017
I enjoyed working the young students and my principal at the time was such a great leader. She gave me room to make mistakes but also learn from them at the same time.
Very enthusiastic environment
Intern/Student Teacher (1st grade, 5th grade ELA) (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 16, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed doing my internship within this school system. The cooperating teacher allowed me to have free range in the classroom, by allowing me to assist the students any way that I could and encouraging them to become better writers.
Nothing to said at this time.
Sub-Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 6, 2017
At times its very enjoyable to work with students.
I am look for a stable position that offer medical benefits and long term assignments. I plan to stay there for a while because its a part time postion.
Pros
I justed start there to soon to comment.
Cons
need medical benefits for Long term-Substitue Teacher.
Good
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMarch 21, 2017
I served as a Supply Substitute Teacher and taught any subject the school needed. I taught Geometry, Algebra, Language Arts, and Social Studies. My last position was In-School Suspension Coordinator.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Small Lunch Break
Productive fun work place
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 28, 2016
Great System to work for! They are developing leaders every year. During my time I experienced a challenging work environment that made me into someone with a strong work ethic and accountability.
Pros
Great Leadership
Cons
Short breaks
Its a great startting place for the younger generation. If you want to get on your feet.
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 14, 2016
The job itself isn't hard at all. The grounds crew members know their job and will do the best to get the job done to near perfection.
n/a
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 5, 2016
I pick up and drop off the kids to school and home. I learned that doing this job takes great patience. Not only for the kids but for the parents to. I love my co-workers they are some of the best I ever work with. Parents are the hardest part of the job because they have the highest standard for there kids. But me and my co-worker raise to meet the standard every time we get behind the wheel.
good environment
Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 6, 2016
good place to work being a head custodian worker is a very hard job trying to satisfy the worker and get along with them is very hard . they take side with others workers.
I really like my job.
Media Secretary/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 28, 2016
A typical day of work is lots of data entry. My co- workers are awesome. My supervisor is makes my job a great place. I have learned that changes often come in any job.
Exciting, engaging, Middle Grades Social Science Teacher
Highly Qualified Middle Grades Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAMarch 29, 2016
My day consists of a wide variety of tasks. I quickly learned that working in the school environment, you have to be very flexible willing to adapt to change.From facilitating student learning, attending collaborative planning meetings, parent-teacher conferences, after-school programs or troubleshooting student devices the days are never the same. Working with a well managed team is essential. I have had the opportunity to work with some of the most smart, creative and fun individuals who know provide high rigor yet fun and engaging instruction. The administration embraces a student friendly culture while constantly promoting high quality education. Inspiring children to become life long learners is the most rewarding part of being an educator, although the long hours are never enough knowing that you are inspiring children to learn is a
self -fulfilling.
Pros
Summers Off
Cons
Not enough time
Educating the Youth
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day would be to come in and get the students ready for the day.
Starting out with making certain that all students adhered to the assignments that were on the board for their morning work.
Making sure that all students were equipped for all tasks that were assigned, assisted the instructor in aiding parent/teacher conferences for student's who were having difficulties in grasping the material.
Scheduling parent workshops to help the parents be up to date with what their children were learning in school and showing them techniques that could help them aid their children with homework assignments.

A hard day at work would be to get parents to be more involved and interested in their children(s) education.
Pros
Parental Involvement
Cons
Educating students, parents, and administration of the importance of education and parental involvement.
You get to work with different people and explore new places.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Albany, GA 31705September 19, 2015
You get to see smiling faces, and experience the feeling of delivering the children home safety. Enjoy the time off that we have for holiday's so you could spend time with your family. The hardest part of the job is making the children get home safety.
Dougherty County is on the rise
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 22, 2015
When I worked for the county there were many scandals dealing with teachers, administrators, and board personnel. This was one of the main reasons I decided to leave Doco. However, with a new superintendent in place, I have read some great changes that have come into play within the system.
Review Summary
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 28, 2015
My days at work are great. I work with kids. Assist the teachers. I will also make copies of daily assignments and etc. I learn how to use different ways of learning to get through to the kids. My co-workers are team players and we work together at times. I really have not ran into a hard part of my job. My enjoyable moments at work are my kids that I work with.
Pros
Working with the kids, learning new things and the environment.
Cons
Not having all the resources one wants to have.
School
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 26, 2015
While working at the DCSS, I enjoyed teaching students that came from different backgrounds. I enjoyed participating in different activities such as the Safety Team, Climate Committee, being Grade Chair, Extended Learning Program, After School Tutoring, and Leadership Team. My co-workers became a family to me. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the moment the children finally understand what you've been trying to teach them all year. That is the best moment to me.
Hard work but I didn't mind
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 1, 2015
This particular job was a basic cleaning job. My only task was to maintain the up-keeping of my assigned area. My supervisor was very helpful throughout my time of employment there.I worked closely with my coworker however I quickly outgrew my peers there and decided to try and better my life.
A Day at my work
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAFebruary 20, 2015
It can be fuuny, nerve raking, and some days can be sad. Depends what kind of day the children have. When you work with special needs children you never know what kind of day you will have.You learn how they behave and what upsets them, the hardest would be when they can't tell you what is wrong with them, or why they behave like they do. the enjoyable day is when they cooperate with you.
Pros
see them grow
Cons
part-time work no summer pay
great place to work
Title I Parent Coordinator (Former Employee) –  albany, gaDecember 21, 2014
a typical day at work is very productive and very enjoyable will recommend job to others
Pros
monday thru friday
Cons
low pay