Dougherty County School System Employee Reviews in United States

good environment
Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 6, 2016
good place to work being a head custodian worker is a very hard job trying to satisfy the worker and get along with them is very hard . they take side with others workers.
I really like my job.
Media Secretary/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 28, 2016
A typical day of work is lots of data entry. My co- workers are awesome. My supervisor is makes my job a great place. I have learned that changes often come in any job.
Exciting, engaging, Middle Grades Social Science Teacher
Highly Qualified Middle Grades Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAMarch 29, 2016
My day consists of a wide variety of tasks. I quickly learned that working in the school environment, you have to be very flexible willing to adapt to change.From facilitating student learning, attending collaborative planning meetings, parent-teacher conferences, after-school programs or troubleshooting student devices the days are never the same. Working with a well managed team is essential. I have had the opportunity to work with some of the most smart, creative and fun individuals who know provide high rigor yet fun and engaging instruction. The administration embraces a student friendly culture while constantly promoting high quality education. Inspiring children to become life long learners is the most rewarding part of being an educator, although the long hours are never enough knowing that you are inspiring children to learn is a
self -fulfilling.
Pros
Summers Off
Cons
Not enough time
Educating the Youth
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day would be to come in and get the students ready for the day.
Starting out with making certain that all students adhered to the assignments that were on the board for their morning work.
Making sure that all students were equipped for all tasks that were assigned, assisted the instructor in aiding parent/teacher conferences for student's who were having difficulties in grasping the material.
Scheduling parent workshops to help the parents be up to date with what their children were learning in school and showing them techniques that could help them aid their children with homework assignments.

A hard day at work would be to get parents to be more involved and interested in their children(s) education.
Pros
Parental Involvement
Cons
Educating students, parents, and administration of the importance of education and parental involvement.
You get to work with different people and explore new places.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Albany, GA 31705September 19, 2015
You get to see smiling faces, and experience the feeling of delivering the children home safety. Enjoy the time off that we have for holiday's so you could spend time with your family. The hardest part of the job is making the children get home safety.
Dougherty County is on the rise
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 22, 2015
When I worked for the county there were many scandals dealing with teachers, administrators, and board personnel. This was one of the main reasons I decided to leave Doco. However, with a new superintendent in place, I have read some great changes that have come into play within the system.
Review Summary
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 28, 2015
My days at work are great. I work with kids. Assist the teachers. I will also make copies of daily assignments and etc. I learn how to use different ways of learning to get through to the kids. My co-workers are team players and we work together at times. I really have not ran into a hard part of my job. My enjoyable moments at work are my kids that I work with.
Pros
Working with the kids, learning new things and the environment.
Cons
Not having all the resources one wants to have.
School
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 26, 2015
While working at the DCSS, I enjoyed teaching students that came from different backgrounds. I enjoyed participating in different activities such as the Safety Team, Climate Committee, being Grade Chair, Extended Learning Program, After School Tutoring, and Leadership Team. My co-workers became a family to me. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the moment the children finally understand what you've been trying to teach them all year. That is the best moment to me.
Hard work but I didn't mind
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 1, 2015
This particular job was a basic cleaning job. My only task was to maintain the up-keeping of my assigned area. My supervisor was very helpful throughout my time of employment there.I worked closely with my coworker however I quickly outgrew my peers there and decided to try and better my life.
A Day at my work
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAFebruary 20, 2015
It can be fuuny, nerve raking, and some days can be sad. Depends what kind of day the children have. When you work with special needs children you never know what kind of day you will have.You learn how they behave and what upsets them, the hardest would be when they can't tell you what is wrong with them, or why they behave like they do. the enjoyable day is when they cooperate with you.
Pros
see them grow
Cons
part-time work no summer pay
great place to work
Title I Parent Coordinator (Former Employee) –  albany, gaDecember 21, 2014
a typical day at work is very productive and very enjoyable will recommend job to others
Pros
monday thru friday
Cons
low pay
Good place to work and possibly advance.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 10, 2014
I enjoyed working as a Paraprofessional. I had a great supervisor and administrators at the school where I worked. I have no major complaints.
Pros
working with students, holidays, weekends, and summers off with pay, good coworkers, supervisor and administrators.
Cons
hard to advance, if you want to go back to school where you can only take day courses, but if you can get into a program in which your courses will be online, or in evenings/nights you will be fine
Great school system.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 14, 2014
THE ONLY great school system to work for along with the student body.
Pros
great kids good food
Cons
sometimes the kids can get loud!!!!!!
My Experience as a Parent Facilitator
Parent Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 11, 2014
A typical day as a Parent Facilitator could be rewarding at times and then at other times, it could be a bit stressful. I was responsible with bridging the gap between the home, school,and community. This was the rewarding part because I love the relationship that was developed between the students, parents, teachers, and community stakeholders. I would go out and bring resources into our school that would be helpful to our students and parents to help ensure that our students are getting the necessary reources that they would need to be successful. I learned so much in this position. I learned how to communicate more effectively on every level as well as how to organize and submit the necessary documents and reports as it relates to student achievement and parent participation. I learned how to organize and conduct beneficial parent workshops that would help them be able to help their students in areas they maybe having difficulty. The hardest part of this job was so many hours that I would put in on a day to day basis and miss carrying out my own duties at home as a wife, to make sure that everything was in order so that we would pass our GADOE audit and not even be appreciated. I loved working with the other facilitators. We worked together as a team and helped each other to make sure that we all was on the same accord with documentation that had to be provided for our GADOE audit. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with and meeting new people on a day to day basis and be able to make the connection with the students, parents, teachers, administration, and community  more... leaders and establish so many new relationships.  less
I enjoyed my time there
Substitute Teacher (K-5) (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 19, 2014
Working for this employer was a great experience especially as the VISTA Volunteer. The job required thinking outside of the box to accomplish the goals of helping children who were not reading at grade level. Until the tutorials were up and operating our days consisted of planning and obtaining the proper materials. For any one who like working with children will love this employer.

As a substitute teacher, it was okay.
Pros
we were not ied down to a location because we had more than one school to serve.
Cons
if a problem arose while at the other site, sometime it made it difficult to address a particular need of a volunteer.
Limited Room For Growth
Air Conditioning Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 1, 2014
Our work day begins promptly at 7:30am. We meet with the Crew Leader to discuss any potential issues and plan our day. We have a great team and work together well. The hardest part of the job is the physical wear and tear on your body and working in extreme temperatures at times. The most enjoyable part is working with the crew. We keep each other encouraged and are able to share personal experience as well as work-related opinions.
Pros
paid vacation time, direct deposit, health insurance.
Cons
furlough days, limited pay increase
Productive And Active
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 18, 2014
The School I am at is very Family Oriented. It is an active school and very productive. Hours are excellent but it those hours are starting to effect my college career. Everything is good the pay could be better and the benefits could be more.
Pros
benefits, off on weekends
Very good place to work.
Assistant Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Albany, GaDecember 13, 2013
I enjoyed my work at the Dougherty County School System. I advanced my knowledge to levels I never thought possible.
School cafeteria, children, fun enviornment
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 20, 2013
I loved working for this company. Never had a dull moment especially when the kids came through the line it was always something.
Pros
children, cooking different foods, atmosphere was enjoyalbe
Cons
low benefits, low wages
Dcss
French, Spanish, and ESOL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 11, 2013
Through adequate mentorship, professional development, and varied opportunities, I have been able to develop effective skills for educational leadership i.e. classroom/behavior management, instructional leadership, data-driven instruction, unit planning, and assessment creation and evaluation. There is, however, a lack of diversity and global awareness.
Pros
opportunities for teacher growth, family environment
Cons
eat lunch with students, extended service and no overtime

Dougherty County School System Reviews by Location