Douglas County Sheriff's Office

Douglas County Sheriff's Office Employer Reviews

Exciting and Rewarding Profession
Criminal Investigator (Lieutenant) (Current Employee), Omaha, NEOctober 22, 2014
I am currently in charge of the Criminal Investigation Division which can be a very challenging but enjoyable assignment. Everyday is different and the cases we investigate vary. You have to adjust to a wide range of cases. One minute we are looking at a string of burglaries and the next we could be sent to a homicide. It's a great feeling when you work hard on a case and finally figure it out and who was responsible. Then arresting that person(s) for the crime.

I work with a great group of people who all are different in personalities and likes. But when something happens, especially something big, we all jump in and work as a team to get the case solved. You see and hear some horrible things but that's part of the job and we all accept it. The goal is to help people and when we can it's all worth it. I know that sounds rehearsed but its true. I have jumped and high fived my troops after solving a big case. Then seeking out the victim's family and being able to tell them "WE GOT EM".

What I like doing the most is interviewing suspects to try to gain confessions. Your matching their wits with yours. It's like a chess game. When you get that confession, it's pretty cool!
Micromanagement and toxic culture
Corrections Officer (Current Employee), Tuscola, ILJuly 30, 2014
Avoid it if possible, or hope the new sheriff in December changes the environment.
Awesome place to work.
Jailer II (Former Employee), Douglasville, GAOctober 15, 2013
I loved the people I worked with. The stress level can get high at times, but if you just do your job and go home and leave work at work it will be an awesome working experience.
Intern
Intern (Current Employee), Castle Rock, COJune 16, 2013
Assist with crime analysts daily cases. Prep, analyze and identify unknown evidence from crime scene. Understand lab safety and guidelines in a Government facility. Travel to crime scenes and assist lab technicians in analyzing and gathering evidence that will be processed in the crime lab.
Sheriff's office with business being conducted by secretaries and deputies
Records Technician (Former Employee), E Wenatchee, WASeptember 13, 2012
Pros: long days, lots of warrants to enter
Cons: benefits, vacation, insurance
On a typical day at work, I entered incident reports into computer, ran backgrounds, entered warrants, answered phone, did customer service. I learned how to be efficient and accurate on my jobs. Management asked for specific jobs or tasks. Co-workers were helpful. I did fingerprints and that has hard because I was new. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers.
Review
Communication Officer (Former Employee), Douglasville, GAAugust 8, 2012
Pros: benefits and friendly people
Cons: long hours
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is a great place to work. I worked in communications which i dispatch. We take care of the deputies and make sure they are safe. It was 12 hour shift. Down side was working night shift. It was very excited and eventful. You need to be able to handly very stressful situations and high stress