Douglas County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

workplace culture
Pretrial Officer (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COMay 29, 2017
Working for Douglas County was a great experience, teamwork was a requirement and it felt appreciated. There was stressful situations but coworkers were always there to support you.
Dgso
Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 4, 2017
Very stressful job. It is not for the weak at heart. If you think carrying a gun and badge is cool, this is the wrong job for you. If you want to serve the community. DGSO is where you want to be.
great place to work
Patrol Deputy (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIMarch 14, 2017
many reasons to apply
advancement opportunities
educated instructors
outside classes to attend if wanted
take home cars
vacation earned
paid sick leave
Great Pay!
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJanuary 17, 2017
This place pays great! Wonderful people. Lots of politics! Most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. As long as you are a company man you will be fine!
Pros
The people who work there and the reward from doing your job.
Cons
Current administration has no pulse on the worker.
Takes a special person to put up with it
Employee (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GADecember 4, 2016
The DSCO is a good place to work, with decent benefits. Pay is below average for the surrounding Metro-Atlanta area, especially for individuals that have special skills. Co-workers are generally hard-working, good people. It takes a special person to deal with the types of people that are encountered on a daily basis, including the employees.
Pros
Free meals, decent benefits.
Cons
Stressful work environment, general lack of recognition
Challenging career, stressfull situations
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Douglas County, NVOctober 25, 2016
The job requires the employee to be self motivated, while being a team player and paying attention to detail. The employee must pay attention to the safety of his/her self, partners and the community. He employee must be able to make quick competent decisions and have excellent verbal and communication skills.
Pros
Freedom, great work environment
Cons
Politics
Great career.
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, OROctober 10, 2016
Very good place to work. I had a long, rewarding career with many opportunities for advancement. Great benefits and retirement program.
Pros
Great career helping others.
Cons
Have to work all hours, weekends and holidays.
Great experience
Oregon (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORSeptember 27, 2016
Awesome coworkers and Sargeants, great pay and benefits. They definitely take care of their own. A lot of room for advancement or lateral to another field.
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 24, 2016
12 hour shifts
Technological
Room for growth and advancement
Growing agency
Diverse
Excellent training opportunities
Pros
Healthcare, Benefits
New Sheriff New Management
Patrol Deputy (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJanuary 12, 2016
DCSO was a great place to work, until 2015. A new sheriff was elected and he brought in a new chief. After over 25 + years, the department changed directions to scaring and threatening their employees into submission. The least discipline one can expect now is at minimum, a day off of work. No more verbal or written documentation. There is a high increase of deputies leaving.
Pros
Pay is average
Cons
Corrupt Administration
A professional and respected agency
Financial Crimes Investigator (Former Employee) –  Douglas County, ColoradoJanuary 20, 2015
DCSO is a good place to work with experienced leaders in charge. they value professionalism and have concern for the development of their individuals.
Pros
Professional organization
Exciting and Rewarding Profession
Criminal Investigator (Lieutenant) (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 22, 2014
I am currently in charge of the Criminal Investigation Division which can be a very challenging but enjoyable assignment. Everyday is different and the cases we investigate vary. You have to adjust to a wide range of cases. One minute we are looking at a string of burglaries and the next we could be sent to a homicide. It's a great feeling when you work hard on a case and finally figure it out and who was responsible. Then arresting that person(s) for the crime.

I work with a great group of people who all are different in personalities and likes. But when something happens, especially something big, we all jump in and work as a team to get the case solved. You see and hear some horrible things but that's part of the job and we all accept it. The goal is to help people and when we can it's all worth it. I know that sounds rehearsed but its true. I have jumped and high fived my troops after solving a big case. Then seeking out the victim's family and being able to tell them "WE GOT EM".

What I like doing the most is interviewing suspects to try to gain confessions. Your matching their wits with yours. It's like a chess game. When you get that confession, it's pretty cool!
Micromanagement and toxic culture
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Tuscola, ILJuly 30, 2014
Avoid it if possible, or hope the new sheriff in December changes the environment.
Awesome place to work.
Jailer II (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAOctober 15, 2013
I loved the people I worked with. The stress level can get high at times, but if you just do your job and go home and leave work at work it will be an awesome working experience.
Intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJune 16, 2013
Assist with crime analysts daily cases. Prep, analyze and identify unknown evidence from crime scene. Understand lab safety and guidelines in a Government facility. Travel to crime scenes and assist lab technicians in analyzing and gathering evidence that will be processed in the crime lab.
Sheriff's office with business being conducted by secretaries and deputies
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  E Wenatchee, WASeptember 13, 2012
On a typical day at work, I entered incident reports into computer, ran backgrounds, entered warrants, answered phone, did customer service. I learned how to be efficient and accurate on my jobs. Management asked for specific jobs or tasks. Co-workers were helpful. I did fingerprints and that has hard because I was new. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers.
Pros
long days, lots of warrants to enter
Cons
benefits, vacation, insurance
Review
Communication Officer (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAAugust 8, 2012
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is a great place to work. I worked in communications which i dispatch. We take care of the deputies and make sure they are safe. It was 12 hour shift. Down side was working night shift. It was very excited and eventful. You need to be able to handly very stressful situations and high stress
Pros
benefits and friendly people