Dover Downs Hotel & Casino

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino Employer Reviews

Terrible work place
server (Former Employee), Frankie'sOctober 27, 2014
Pros: half price lunch
Cons: hours
It would be a very fun company to work for if the company did not have so many dictators. From management acting like they care but they don't and supervisors that have no idea of the job demanded beside gossiping about everyone .
Part-time Food & Beverage--DO NOT TAKE THE JOB
Cashier/Hostess at The Festival Buffet (Former Employee), Dover, DEJune 20, 2014
Pros: 50% discount on most food items
Cons: zero benefits as part time employee, favoritism, terrible shifts, terrible uniforms, terrible management (although they are great at being friends with you)
Dover Downs is a fantastic place to work--if you are hired as full time in any other department other than Food & Beverage. In my experience, as a part time employee (depending on who you know), I received zero benefits (which means even if you have a doctor's note for absences they are unexcused), terrible shifts (closing until 11:00 PM and back in – more... at 6:45 the next morning), 1.5% pay increases ($0.12 per year--hardly anything considering a gallon of gas can go up three times that much overnight), and I often didn't receive my work schedule for the next week until the day before (with children and a working spouse, this makes it next to impossible to plan your life). However, my managers were nice and most of the time willing to work with you (as long as company policy wasn't violated too terribly), but the drawback is if the manager knows someone personally outside of work, that person will always get the better shift/day off/ etc. Also, the majority of the managers would discipline/coach/yell at employees in front of customers and other co workers which is a complete violation. I worked there for over a year and had one Saturday off (which had to be requested).
The hardest part of the job is being there knowing you are making peanuts and listening to co-workers complain about it not being a "real job". Also, it is hard to work for a company knowing there is no room for advancement (obviously if there is no room for full time status, there is no room for a truly upwards career movement--within the F&B department). The most enjoyable part of the job is the occasionally nice customer that manages to give complements despite the obvious tension and fun loving coworkers (which eventually we weren't allowed to talk to each other either). Employees receive a 50% discount on food in their employee lounge and three other food outlets. Also, if you ever become pregnant, In F&B, there is no promise your job will be held for you because you are a Part Time employee. So all in all, do not take a part time food and beverage position (unless you personally know the manager, supervisor, director). Hold out for a guaranteed full time position in any other department but F&B--in a full time situation DD is THE place to work in DE. – less
Bartending
Waitress/Intern (Current Employee), Dover, DEMay 7, 2014
Pros: half of food
Cons: angry coworkers, not enough benefits
I am a bartender, we normally get 4 shifts a week. work either 10:30am-6 or 5pm-1am. It does get busy from time to time, my coworkers are can be a pain sometimes but i believe the only reason for that is because it is a bunch of females. i love meeting new people at my job the customers are hilarious and can hold a great conversation.
Great Company
Manager (Current Employee), Dover, DEJanuary 17, 2014
Strong level of customer focus. Good benefits. Always looking for new ways to increase revenue.
It has it's ups and downs
Bartender (Former Employee), Dover, DEAugust 25, 2013
rarely time for yourself. You hardly get a break at times if there is no relief.
Some positions here are favorable but not all
slot attendant (Former Employee), Dover DEAugust 15, 2013
Pros: employees receive half price food in employee food areas, coworkers are great, pay is very good for some positions, good people person job
Cons: high stress, can be fired if you don't show up during race weekend, can lose earned vacation time if terminated or call out during your two week notice.
The hardest part of the job is staying motivated when it feels like bosses only look for what they can write you up for. Second hardest is walking all day and not really being able to talk to your coworkers without being called into the office for it. The most enjoyable part of the job is other employees and some of the fantastic customers.
My most favorite job out of all work history
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Dover, DEAugust 14, 2013
What I learned-How to balance 50 lbs trays on my shoulders as I serve the banquet atendees their meals.

The hardest part of the job-Manuvering around obstacles while serving the platters.

Most enjoyable part- The challenge of the obstacles.
Worst Job
Bartender (Former Employee), dover DEApril 18, 2013
Cons: no meal breaks, schedule comes out the day of the week not a week in advance.
You will not be happy to work at this place, your constantly signing a new policy, supervisors and managers are always getting fired or replaced every 3 months. Just ask an employee first before you apply!!
Great company that cares about its employees
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee), Dover, DEJune 12, 2012
Dover Downs is an enjoyable place to work and has great employees. I really enjoy the people I work with and we are a team.
Dover Downs Hotel & Casino is a Four Diamond-rated facility located in Dover, Delaware.
Cage Cashier (Former Employee), DelawareMarch 5, 2012
Pros: healcare program.
Cons: hours, nights and weekends.
They have a variety of position. Managers are very friendly.