Dow Corning Corporation Employee Reviews

Advancement is reducing
Support Operator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, MIDecember 2, 2016
Auburn site for 3 years and the amount of advancement from production is non-existent. The changes being made by management is creating lower salaries and lower chance to advance. Do not expect to advance from an operator to any other position than a slightly better paid operator.
Pros
Decent pay for the experience required.
Cons
Managers do not look out for employees.
Great benefits but no room to advance
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 2, 2016
I have spent the last 9 years working at Dow Corning as a Loss Prevention Officer. During this time I have been given many training and educational opportunities and have been a large knowledge base on health and safety standards along with emergency response techniques and tactics. Compensation has been a very positive side to working for this company. Good pay and excellent benefits. The work life balance has been a struggle however as I have been on a rotating twelve hour shift for my entire career and it has taken a toll on me and my family. I hope to continue my knowledge advancement and bring my experience to the benefit of others through my personal commitment to safety.
Mind-sapping stress-filled management "cluster"
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 12, 2016
For my 23 year sentence I was bombarded weekly with the corporate propaganda, " Our people are our greatest asset". Plain bull! This company will take the strongest dedicated employee and squeeze them to a dry husk. Your best efforts are rewarded with demands to ' do more with less'. This firm has been crying 'we ain't got no money' for so long, they use it as their strategy! Do yourself a favor and seek another career path.
Cons
Two-to-one ratio supervisor/worker
Great Team Atmosphere
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIDecember 7, 2015
Everybody helps everybody. There was a great family like atmosphere within the company. The company was very flexible, and offered great benefits.
Developed many products to market, part of a good team.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland Plant, Corporate Site, Freeland, AuburnJanuary 21, 2015
Typical day at work, testing, test development, logbook care, data reporting, report writing, work planning, sample care, safety, lab maintenance, equipment care...

learned to be part of a team working on a common goal, mainly to develop product and improvements

Sometimes the best part of the job is the people you work with and the knowledge share.

Hardest part of the job, is to show improvements through testing, and to troubleshoot through problems needing solving.
Pros
Vacation, Health Care
Cons
Research takes time to develop results
Innovative Working Environment Good Management
Sales, Sales Manager, Director Sales Training (Former Employee) –  Midland, MI,& Dallas, TexsNovember 10, 2014
The Organization provided me with the opportunity to learn the skills required Sell and Manage Sales Teams
To be promoted to the Director Organizational Sales & Sales Training and Development
To be Rewarded for my impact on the Company's Goals
Provided the resources needed to succeed
The most enjoyable part of my job was working both my peers and managers to achieve their goals
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Sometime long days
Excessive work loads unable to complete tasks
Senior Inspector / Site NDT ASNT Level III (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 1, 2014
1). Typical work day was 9 to 10 hours on site with computer work at home on weekends.
2). Was able to obtain ASNT Level III's in MT, PT, VT. Over the years was able to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge of pressure vessels, piping, and welding.
3). The manage was good to work for.
4). The Mechanical Integrity Department staff was a close net group of people which all got along great.
5). Climbing Distillation columns.
6). Problem solving issues and being part of a team to make repairs in a timely fashion in order to get equipment running again.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long drive to and from work each day
Cooperation and Synergy
Silane Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Hemlock, MIJune 3, 2013
The best thing about my job is not only do I work for a world class organization, but the people are the most supportive and energizing I've ever come across in over 25 yrs working in this field and others. It is a promote from within bottom up and top down synergistic environment that not only promotes the individual, but also the team.
Pros
Great benefits and worklife environment
Cons
Susceptible to market commodity and specialty chemical market ups and downs
A nice innovative company.
I/T Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  MultipleJune 15, 2011
I worked at Dow Corning from 1995 until I was laid off in 2009. Other then being stuck working for the wrong boss at the wrong time my experience with the company was a positive one. Fairly open corporate culture. I found the satellite locations were more relaxed then the Midland headquarters. Good chance for advancement. You have to drive your own career but they give you good tools to do it with. The HR department is a little week but they have world class manufacturing and IT organizations. If the opportunity presented it's self, I would work for them again.
Pros
forward thinking global company
Cons
a little management top heavy
Overall, Dow Corning offers programs that promote health and teamwork.
Quality Lab Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 11, 2012
I spent 25 years at Dow Corning and seen them grow a great deal. I was able to return to school and was encouraged and supported in my growth. The employees support each other and want to do what they can to help Dow Corning succeed. In recent years, there were changes in management and inconsistencies that will improve with time. Dow Corning management promotes work-life balance and I was fortunate that most of my managers were flexible and supported that. Not all managers are in full support.
Pros
free health screenings, profit sharing, global business
Cons
inconsistant management support and training.
Good company with great people.
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  MichiganDecember 3, 2012
Loads of collaboration at Dow Corning. Executing within a team is as critical as personal work.
Broad and diverse job selection. For engineers there is much more than manufacturing. For non-engineers, Dow Corning promotes (at lower levels) based on performance and attitude.
Job changes are perhaps too frequent at about every 3 years.
Lower managment jobs are abundent. Middle and upper managment career moves requires extensive networking.
Executive managment is highly political, but where is it not?

Midland is a great place for family but has next to nothing for singles.
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
too many executive pet projects.
A job at Dow Corning is a good job.
Project leader (Former Employee) –  midland, miJanuary 16, 2013
Dow Corning was a typical corporate job with a higher than average sensitivity to their employees balance of work and life. Their expectations are high but they don't drive their employees to self destruction. Employees can choose to drive themselves to destruction if they so choose. They rate their people's performance regularly and from what I have observed every 2 - 4 years they go through and "prune" the low performing and low diversity (skill not race) employees from the company.
Pros
good pay and average benefits. work life balance is obdserved.
Cons
volatile markets have a big im, pact on the companies performance
Good company to work for, with opportunities to advance, and has a good work life balance program
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland MIApril 29, 2014
When you make the move from hourly to salary and are exempt, then your work life changes. You're not tied to the desk for certain hours of the day, but expected to get the job done no matter when you work on it. You will learn a lot about safety in this company!

The hardest part of this job is trying to stay out of the corporate politics, because this is where the "tell it like it is" guys like me are too rough around the edges.

The most enjoyable part of my career here has been the opportunity to help so many people achieve their goals and help customers accomplish theirs with my support. It always feels good to help out your customers.
Pros
on site cafe', on site fitness center
Cons
badging in and out of the place. It's like fort knox!
Excellent company to work for but diminished culture.
Real Estate and Facility Management support staff (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MIOctober 11, 2013
Dow Corning is an anchor company of mid-Michigan. The corporation has premium offerings for customers, business partners, and suppliers.......most of all it's new-found service providers. There is much uncertainty in this company as they pursue a leadership-driven lean cost structure. Enterprise leadership continues to recruit external staff to lead outsourcing initiatives known as 'service excellence.' It begs a question of whether the million dollar planning consultants for service excellence are really worth it. All the money spent to plan and implement service excellence must surely wash out its cost savings.
Pros
Excellent colleagues, employee benefits, and career development opportunities.
Cons
Uncertainty
safe and secure place to work
Environmental Health Safety and Security (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, KYSeptember 23, 2015
very clean facility and continuous production. plenty of room for growth and ways to move up in the company. It was an honor to work for this corporation.
Pros
great staff
Cons
non
Can be a nice place to work
Former Engineer with Dow Corning (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 15, 2012
Very diverse chemistry

Like: Co-workers are great to work with and are willing to help.

Dislike: Management is changing.

The hardest part of my job is knowing what to work on because of the diverse nature of what is expected.

Like: Working in manufacturing where people can be honest.
Pros
working with the people
Cons
poor communication down the ranks
Vast knowledge in silicone technolgy
Material Scientist III/Project Leader Asia Pacific (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 15, 2015
awesome place to learn and get expose to the silicone technology. The amount of technology learned and developed new technology from it. Good culture on preserving the past knowledge and pass it on to new members so that no reinventing but only new invention.
Dow Corning
Senior Research Chemist (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 25, 2013
Dow Corning has been an excellent place to work. I have had the opportunity to work in a variety of technologies that have required multidisciplinary approaches and has taken me beyond chemistry. The opportunities that the company has provided has expanded my capabilities and provided strengthened confidence in myself as a scientist.
Passionate people passionate about our products
HSC Talent Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 5, 2015
Dow Corning is an incredible place to work, where everyday you interact with passionate people who are passionate about the product and technology.
Good benefits
Global Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 11, 2013
Dow Corning allows for flexible working hours; I worked a 7 to 4 schedule with a half hour lunch. Most of my day involved several meetings, answering email, and making phone calls. Being the company has a global presence I learned a great deal about working with other countries which was critical to success.
Pros
good benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dow Corning Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Dow Corning Corporation Reviews by Location