Dow Corning Employee Reviews

Long hours and too much required overtime
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 28, 2016
This plant is closing down. Management expects everyone to work overtime on Saturday, Sunday and even some 12 hour shifts while they are home with their families. Very difficult to have time with your family and friends. Short notice given to work overtime. Btw, starting pay is nothing like it is perceived to be.
Pros
it gives you a paycheck
Cons
too many required hours
Silicon lost or found?
Maintenance & Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIJuly 10, 2016
The leadership is currently in turmoil since Dow Chemical acquired the company. There is a good mixture of expertise throughout the company with engineers holding the majority of leadership positions. It seems as though this company's best days are behind it and it remains to be seen if the Dow acquisition re-energizes the work-force.
Great people very professional company. Conservative, risk averse.
Product Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 7, 2016
Interesting work. Many great people to work with in a professional environment. Low level managers are great. Company overall is risk averse.
Pros
Great people, great projects to work on, great low level managers
Cons
Top heavy management.
Safe, clean chemical site in a remote location
Senior Electrical Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, KYJuly 28, 2016
I worked as an exempt employee, so my basic week was Monday through Friday. They work a 9/80 schedule so that means every other Friday off. Most people start between 7.00am and 8.00pm.
September is the shutdown month and you will be expected to work a lot of unpaid overtime as an exempt employee. Safety is very important as is training. There are reasonable opportunities for moving within the company and for promotion, if your face fits.
The site has been there since the mid 60's, there are many long serving employees that are resistant to new ideas. Project spending is cyclic, with boom and bust years. Overall its a good place to work. Compensation is fairly good especially if the bonuses are good that year. Nice gym.
Pros
Safety, friendly, clean, gym, training, respectful culture, 9/80 work schedule
Cons
Remote location, a lot of unpaid overtime expected from exempt employees, cliquey, reluctant to change, no decent catering on site or less that 10 minute drive
Good people
Lead / Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJune 6, 2016
A very good place to work, the people are willing to help you. It has a very positive atmosphere. You have to opportunity to work multiple projects.
Pros
Freedom in your design work, no one looking down your back.
Cons
Getting input from the operators.
Excellent company
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 15, 2016
Excellent company that cared about its employees, but unfortunately was acquired by one of the parent companies. Great people and great work-life balance.
Pros
work-life balance, flexibility, benefits
Dow Corning is a great family feel place
Quality Chemist (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 11, 2016
I enjoy the challenges of anew project, new study, or troubleshooting. I am comfortable with my team but also working alone.
Helpful, Encouraging, and Engaging
mechanical engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hemlock MIJanuary 8, 2016
I was and intern here during 2015 summer. I really enjoyed the experience I acquired there. There was a lot a freedom to explore ideas I had and resources to complete them. It felt like a family there. Everyone willing to help each other and give there opinion.
provictive and fun workplace
Tell the other worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Meigs, ALDecember 3, 2015
Fun work place with great management not all about the numbers but is how you grow and develop . The most enjoyable part of the job was working with new people alongside my colleagues . There were a lot of variety in what i did each and every day.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Decent Company
Chemical Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting the chance to continue to improve on the processes I am assigned to do that specific day. I have had the opportunity to learn how to run a twin screw extruder during my employment and that will make me a more valuable employee at future companies.
Used to be a good place to work
Desk Job (Current Employee) –  Hemlock, MIOctober 14, 2015
Very demanding. You wear too many hats with your job responsibility. Salary is average at best, not competitive. Culture has changed in the last 8 years. The company would rather make a dollar then pay a dollar to even the best workers.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No job security
good pay and benefits
Chemical Operator-manufacture (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 3, 2015
lots of various machinery,different skill sets required, competitive pay, forklift trained and sap experience is a plus, competitive company
Good working and learning environment
Lab Technician Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Midland, MiApril 29, 2015
• Created studies based on problems with silicon-coated products from other companies.
• Ran follow-up tests for senior lab technicians such a release force between adhesives and silicon-coated papers.
• Mixed and coated silicon paper and adhesives.
• Learned how to run the ovens for the appropriate dwell times.
• Kept an inventory of all of the chemicals in the department.
• Cleaned and maintained laboratories.
Very satisfying workplace
Contract Technologist - Adecco Technical (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJuly 6, 2015
I enjoyed working at Dow Corning very much. The people there are very nice and treat everyone very fair. I learned many new test methods and became a very well rounded technician.
Pros
Group outings
Cons
small growth potential
Great company without steady direction.
Procurement / Engineering (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIJuly 29, 2015
Good place to work but limited career advancement for non-engineering majors. Must be political savvy to engage promotion opportunities.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Pay / Leadership
Support Control system for site 24/7
System Process Control Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montgomery AL 36057October 5, 2014
I currently support the Alabama site for Dow Corning 24/7. I program and troubleshoot the day to day stuff such as: Allen Bradley PLC 5, SLC 500, and Control Logix 5000 platforms. Also, I program and troubleshoot HMIs such as Panel View 1000, Panel View 1000 plus, and Panel View 1500 plus. I help the electricians learn and troubleshoot the control system on any process. I create and maintain all IP address for the processes and keep all documentation up to date such as: P&ID's, interlock matrix, and all loop drawing for the site.
Pros
health care
Cons
limited growth
Excellent Place to Work
Marketing and Literature Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 31, 2014
I loved working there every minute. For the first time in my life, I worked for a corporation that not only treated me like a human being, but also valued my opinions and acknowledged my degree(s), usually by openly stating the fact that I have a specific degree in a specific field and inquiring about my opinion in a related matter. That being said, they primarily hire only contractors and it is extremely tough to get in. As a contractor, job security is slim to nil. Usually employment is done through an outside agency that charges Dow Corning a specific fee and they give you less than what the position states ($14/hr instead of the posted $16).
Pros
excellent working environment
Cons
no benefits or job security
Productive workplace
Chemical Batch Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 27, 2015
Team pulls together when needed. How to drive a stand up fork truck. Management works with you to get what is needed to do your job. Hardest part is learning all the new job procedures.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
short breaks
Friendly Fast Paced Place
Cafe Aide (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJanuary 8, 2013
I was a kitchen aide, where I got to make all the speciality sandwiches.
During lunchtime I was one of the servers on the 'line'. I enjoyed the time we had with the employees, serving them food and getting to advertise all the delicious food that was made just minutes before. I also liked the work environment during clean up time, how we all worked together to get everything done in such a short time.
Pros
free lunches, meeting people from different countries, uniforms
Great place to learn new things
Summer help (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJanuary 20, 2015
Dow Corning loves its employees and treats them well. They take safety above everything else. My supervisor were amazing and knowledgable.

I learned many things at Dow Corning, Skills that I can use in my professional career.

I enjoyed working at DC very much and would gladly come back