Downey Unified School District Employee Reviews

Student Teacher
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 19, 2017
This district is extremely unsupportive to incoming teachers going into the field. Many of the administrators are quick to throw new talent under the bus to pacify union conflict with their classified staff. Finally, they are unprofessional to college organizations in order to hide their incompetence, favoritism and anything that would otherwise mar their supposed track of excellence.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No support whatsoever
Encouraging work place
SIA/BC (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 22, 2017
This is a very good place to work for. It is such a rewarding job to work with children and be apart of their everyday routine. Knowing you can make a difference in one life of a child is amazing & Downey unified allows you to do so!
Pleasant environment with competitive salary
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 2, 2016
Being an instructor is quite pleasant. Administration varies depending on your site, but are generally amenable. Part-time assignments are common and full-time positions are hard to come by. Nevertheless, salary is competitive.
Pros
Salary, environment
Cons
Administration, few hours
Very friendly
Food Preparation Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 26, 2016
Enjoyed being employed here. Treated well and my availability was taken into consideration. Very well kept environment. My boss was extremely friendly and got along well with everyone.
really good
Substitute Custodian/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 10, 2016
Responsible for maintaining the Districts school grounds and buildings.
Perform a variety of skilled and semiskilled maintenance repairs within the schools
Pros
workers
Cons
management
Substitute office Worker
Substitute Intermediate Clerical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Downey CAOctober 7, 2015
Sustitute worker, ample opportunity for position changes and possible permanant employment
Diverse population of students
I felt comfortable and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CaliforniaMay 11, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people and the children. It was always busy. I learned multiple positions. We had to prepare and serve quickly, and clean up prior to end of shift.
Pros
It allowed me to have the same schedule and days off as my child.
Cons
The job did not provide benefits.
Excellent place to work
Substitute Senior Instructional Aide/B.C. and SMH (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 20, 2015
This district really takes care of their employees and does do the necessary steps to ensure the well being of their students
Learned how to be a tutor and a mentor.
Avid Tutor (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Tutors encourage students to excel in classes and to attend a four year college. Tutors run tutorials in the tutor student ratio of 1:7 and use writing, inquiry, and collaboration to facilitate student growth as independent learners. Be a role model that promotes the development of an academic identity. Tutors are the bridge between the experience of the students and the expectations of the site coordinator.
Good staff
Senior Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 14, 2014
Productive days at work. Translated for parents and staff.
Productive and fun place to work
Food Service Worker, Food Preparation Workers (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 28, 2014
Prvovide customer service to staff and students. Prepare meals for staff and students. Clean and sanitize areas. Ensure that all work areas are safe.Customer service and cash handlng. Inentory in storage areas. With this experence I have learned how to work at a faster pace and make quick sound decisions. Management ensures that we all work together as a team. I enjoy working with my co-workers,we all work together as a team. The hardest part about this job is that I am working part time. I wish that there were more then three hours a day. The most enjoyablepart abou this job I would say that we all work togeher as a team.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
Short work hours no work in the summer time
Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  DowneyFebruary 19, 2014
Due to the financial crisis affecting the state of California teaching jobs are declining.
Great Office skills were learned.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 2, 2013
A day at the Downey Unified School District was very productive. From the moment I walked in to the office till the time I would have to clock out. Answering phone calls and taking messages, filing paper work: such as home schooled students work, state projects, and invoices. Also got to help out with payroll and prepare for meetings for the ROP Director.
Pros
Learning form the best Mangers!
Cons
My contract ended, wish I could have continued working there.
Fun place to work in
Speciol Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 1, 2013
A typical day at work would be to greet parents and students, work with small group of students, supervise students during lunch and recess. I learned to be a very patient and compassionate person, and to also have an open mind. The teacher treated us as equal, our opinions were also taken into consideration, everyone I worked with was very freindly and kind-hearted. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students smiles.
Pros
Weekends off, long lunches
Cons
Not much room for advancement
good place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 4, 2013
Good and fun place to work . prepared and served breakfast and lunch for students and teachers and staff. co-workers were very nice. Made alot of long term friendships.?Hardest part of job was getting more hours if not in supervisor positions.Best part of job being able to be home with my children on days off and vacation as we both had same schedules.
Pros
good pay, fun people
Cons
no benefits for anyone under 6 hours daily

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downey Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Downey Unified School District Reviews by Location