DOWNTOWN AQUARIUM Employee Reviews

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Restaurant business can be stressful. However, overall good place to work, Must be able to work in fast pace environment. Was stressful some days, but every job can be.
Work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2017
I loved working at the Downtown Aquarium in Houston. The staff members are very friendly and good with people, they made working with them fun. I learned more social skills working at the aquarium. The hardest part of my job was being on my feet all day but I got use to it. The best part of the job was watching everyone come in and enjoy their visit at the aquarium.
Pros
half off of food from the restaurant
Cons
N/a
Fun workplace
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2017
The employees were so friendly and I enjoyed working there. They always had the schedule available so that you can view it. Although I didn't like that the weather conflicted with some hours but that was only a short amount of time during the year. I would recommend everyone especially those who are wanting summer jobs . I didn't have any problem with managers having their favorites because everyone was treated fair.
great start off job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2016
Great for a first job. Supervisors and OM very nice and understanding. Doesn't provide many hours. Good for a summer job when the kids are out of school, which are normally the busiest.
Wasn't too happy working there
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 11, 2016
A typical day at work at the Aquarium consisted of you having to go in at a certain time, but didn't have a certain time to leave. You were allowed to leave when the managers would tell you you could. I did although learn to work in a pretty fast paced environment. It'd have it's really crazy and hectic moments. Management there wasn't the best, but not the worst either. It was really hard to get a manager to come to you when you were in need of their assistance. As to coworkers, not a very good experience. I had to miss a day or two the time I was there and a couple of them had their negative inputs on it. The hardest part of the job I'd have to say was when it would get super packed. We'd run out of things and it'd be so busy that sometimes we couldn't replace it at the moment. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the simple fact that it was the Aquarium!
productive workplace
Banquet Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2016
constant customer service required, fun and exciting employment,. Maintaining the ballroom among other floors of the building to meet the clients demands
Engaging workplace
Educator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2016
As a part of the job, you get a lot of hands-on training. Day-to-day duties would include keeping the exhibits clean and engaging with the guests. We have opportunities to also go out to schools and teach classroom programs or schools can come to us.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible schedule
Cons
Varied weekly hours, limited breaks
No leadership
Lead Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2016
no leadership, place is micromanaged to death.... poor, awful management, no clue what they want done... waste money, then fret over the budget... find another place, ANY OTHER PLACE to work, don't apply here...
Pros
Some nice people here
Cons
some A-hole runs the place
Exciting and enjoyable experience of educating the public about the ocean.
TOUR GUIDE (VOLUNTEER) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2016
I greatly enjoy volunteering at the Downtown Aquarium in Denver Colorado! It gives me the great opportunity to interact with people and educate them on what I know about the species present.

A typical day involves a lot of walking. The only times you get to sit are if you slip away into the back for a break or sit at one of the carts to teach about a specific phylum of animals.

I've learned how to better interact with a plethora of age groups and how to communicate interesting information in an appropriate manner for the different groups of guests.
Pros
Free entry to the aquarium outside of volunteering, family benefits.
Cons
Location in another town
Great Place with amazing animals and ppl from all over to interact with
Lead Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of communication with am MOD of how the morning shift was. How busy was it, how were sales so far, and a plan on how to make the pm shift succesful for the night. Also have a small meeting with other departments to see how they are doing as well and if anyone needs any help. Its a very nice work enviroment and everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand.
Pros
free lunch
Typical work day included interacting with guest and being around a lot of smiling faces.
Host/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2015
Overall this place is fun and laid back. They really go out there way when they have parties and special events. The guests are always number one and the service from everyone is great. The management is great. They seem to be fair with everyone and inflict the rules when needed.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
When business is slow your hours may be cut.
Fun work place, met people from all over the world
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2015
Selling tickets, cash handling, game attendant. Hardest part of this job was smelling the fish when I worked in the Exhibit. Enjoyed doing birthday parties for the kids.
Pros
Discounts Discounts and discounts
Cons
smelling the fish
Poor Management
Curator of Mammals, Birds, and Program Animals (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 27, 2015
Management makes this a difficult place to work. There is no sense of team, and they upper management will be quick to tell you there are plenty of other people who will take your job.
poor managerment
Retail Lead/Certified Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2014
Dont want to get into the detail sorry thanks. Do not wish to commet do not wish to commet do not wish to comment,
Outstanding Customer Service
Admissions Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2014
Customer service, interact with the guest and to ensure there needs are met in a friendly and timely manner.Learned PBX and excellent cash handling. Management is overall great n ensuring team players are treated fairly, and recognized. Co-workers all are team players, all work together to have an successful work day. the most enjoyable part are the guest who make serving them easy.
Pros
Half off on food, bev, and retail shop
Cons
downtown in season less hours
Simple and Straight Forward
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2013
Stock and Restock
Learned time management
Management is fair.
Great people to work with
The hardest part of the job is handling after hours stocking.
The most enjoyable part of the job is putting smiles on kids faces
Great Enviroment
Server/ PBX (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2013
Typical fast paced 12hr day of wich I am top 5 seller. My managers can depend on me for anythang. The best part is all the people I meet from all over the world and the least is unstable income.
Pros
The Enivorment and the people
Cons
The unstable income
Great times
Games and Rides Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2013
You are out doors working with customers ,. making sure they get the best service at the establishment , and get them to enjoy thierselves while there
Very fun and entertainment environment to work in
Ausement Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 26, 2013
A typical day at work is operate rides ans games, walk the train track to make sure it was clear of rocks and anything else that could de-rail the train. I learned how to drive the train and operate the rides. The managing staff was well organized and easy-going. I loved my co-workers of course and enjoyed them. The hardest part of working there was having to work in the cold. The enjoyable part was when they would have a small party for the employees.
Pros
free lunch and paid breaks
Cons
no healthcare benifits for part-time workers and having to work in the cold
Exciting place to work
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2012
During the week it was very boring and time went by slowly, but on the weekends and holidays it was fast-paced and very fun. Co-workers are energetic and friendly with a great sense of teamwork. The hardest part of the job was working holidays and every weekend.
Pros
employee discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DOWNTOWN AQUARIUM. Our community is ready to answer.

DOWNTOWN AQUARIUM Reviews by Location