Doyon Universal Services Employee Reviews

Productive and eduactional job experience
Security (Current Employee) –  carrizo springs, texasSeptember 21, 2015
Getting more experience so I can further my experience as a police officer. Great job atsmosphere, as well as co-workers.
Good company to work for if you want a foot in the door on the North Slope
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  North Slope, AlaskaSeptember 17, 2015
Doyon is a good starter company to work for if your wanting to be a cook very easy to move up, word of advice start out as a kitchen helper so you know the whole dishes situation. The last thing you want is a mad dishwasher.
Pros
Only work half the year
Cons
Lowest Pay on North Slope, no paid vacation
productive job, good pay, good benefits
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Carrizo Springs, TexasAugust 25, 2015
Good job but too far to travel from home. Too far from family to be gone for two weeks at a time.
Management needs improvement, co workers were good hardest part of the job was some of the post were isolated and worked alone for 12 hours shifts.
Pros
free lodging and meals
Cons
too far to travel to job post
Housekeeper
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  north slope, akAugust 21, 2015
I did like working on the slope as a housekkeper. It keeps your busy but it does make you be away from your family. They put a huge load on each housekeeper when there short handed mamagement tryes to get people to stay longer. They pay was the nice thing.
Pros
paycheck were nice
Cons
being away from family
excellent place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 13, 2015
again I liked working for Doyon Universal Services because they had an excellent benefit pkg,good pay,and good long hours
Pros
good lunches
Cons
healthcare
Alaska Pipeline Camp
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kuparuk,AKApril 20, 2015
I'm a slope worker,I work two weeks on and two weeks off as a housekeeper,for overtime hours I work in the kitchen doing various jobs as a kitchen helper.
Pros
2wks off
Cons
2wks on
JOB SECURITY ,BENEFITS AND PAY WAS VERY GOOD
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 13, 2015
DOYON UNIVERSAL SERVICES IS A VERY WELL RUN MACHINE. I WOULD RECOMEND THEM AS AN EMPLOYER TO ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SAFE AND SECURE JOB
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS AND PAY
Cons
THERE ARE NONE I CAN THINK OF
Security work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAApril 2, 2015
Security work is great but its not a career. Doyon is a leader in pay in the area but its still barely enough to live on. the hours prevent a second part time job
fast paced, high security workplace.
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Deadhorse, AKJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company mostly because I was given plenty hours/weeks to work at a time and was given the opportunity to meet various people.
Pros
free living, nice camps.
Cons
high security by management 24/7.
Negative on Management
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Prudhoe BaySeptember 28, 2014
I got the call to work up there after years of attempts at getting into the company. I had a fantastic resume, so I decided to give the slope a shot. When they called me, they told me they needed me ASAP and that I wouldn't be able to give my current job a two week notice. I didn't care for that, but at the time, I wasn't about to turn down a job I've been trying for, for years! Then I had to work the first two weeks in Fbks, because of the weather situation for flying into Deadhorse. I had a great working relationship with the folks at the Fbks office, but as soon as boots touched ground on Prudhoe, it all went bad. I was warned by several people in management about the supervisor who would be in charge of us, but I never listen to that . I'm a person who likes to make those decisions on my own. Well, I should've listened. LOL...she was the worst supervisor I have ever encountered in my career!! She screamed at people like a drill sergeant, called us names, treated the females the worst especially, got angry when her coffee wasn't waiting for her in the morning, (not my job), and proceeded to tell us all how she was going to go home after the job was over and sit by her pool and get stoned. At one point, she actually followed two of us into the ladies room and flipped out on us because she thought we were talking about her! She was insane, to put it literally. The unprofessionalism was incredible. The worst part was that the project managers AND engineers all watched her treat people like this and did NOTHING to stop it My whole outlook was soured at that point and it wasn't  more... long before I got laid off from the job, not for a poor performance, but because of technical issues on the project. I was never so happy to get on a plane in my life! My advice to all of you is this....make sure you are well aquainted with the super of a job BEFORE you get on that plane!!! I walked out on a perfectly good job here at home to go to that situation. Never again.  less
Pros
new friends, slope experience, good money
Cons
lacking in good management
Horrid company
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  North slopeJune 12, 2014
This was the worst company I have ever been apart of. Working on the north slope is great, the people I worked with were wonderful people. But the big wigs and the HR people from Doyon are pathetic. They treat their people horribly. Employees are toilet paper 100% disposable. The turn over for Doyon is about 5 a week. Don't believe me check the hiring pages Doyon is NEVER. Fully staffed. The pay is sad for the work you do. But for someone like me who had no choice at the time my family needed me to take the job even tho I has not made 11 dollars an hour in 15 years. I had no choice. No room for advancement they do not take care of their female employees on the slope they are just not a good company. If your desperate I understand but protect yourself document everything that happens to you and keep looking for employment else where. Don't plan on planting roots with Doyon it won't happen. Future employees beware!!!!!!
Pros
the weeks off are nice
Cons
everything!! they suck!!
Great people ot work with
Off-shore Night Camp Supervisor, Baker, Cook (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 12, 2014
I learned so much while working here and the training is thorough.
Productive work place and exciting
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKDecember 15, 2013
Definately learn alot whether it be Security, Firefighting, or other contracts Doyon has. As the work load though, the pay doesn't seem to fit the jobs.
I love working up north in this atmosphere
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Deadhorse, AKSeptember 22, 2013
Long weeks and hours but the time off at home was priceless. I enjoyed the camps that I stayed at and the nice people I worked with.
Pros
free housing and food
AWESOME HOURS , 2 WEEKS UP 2 WEEKS HOME
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  KUPARUK, AKAugust 28, 2013
WHAT AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE WORKING ON THE SLOPE HAS BROUGHT INTO MY LIFE . I HAVE WORKED FOR WELL OVER 5 YEARS AS A HOUSEKEEPER , ENJOYING EVERY DAY, IVE BEEN ALL OVER THE SLOPE & GOT TO EXPERIENCE SOME AMAZING SIGHTSEEING . I LOVE THE ATMOSPHEIR WORK SAFE PROGRAMS , IT HAS MADE ME GET THE SKILLS TO MOVE UP IN MY JOB EFFORTS TO DRIVE , WITH OBTAINING MY CDL CLASS A WITH ALL ENDORCEMENTS . SO NOW IM READY FOR A GREAT FUTURE .
Pros
no commute
Cons
gone from home 2 weeks
Work 13 hours a day and get paid for 12
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  North SlopeAugust 19, 2013
Mean managers that do close to nothing but antagonize the staff.
Very few fresh ingredients to cook with. No ability to communicate with HR for a transfer. Working at the North Slope is very difficult.

There is a take it or leave it attitude with supervisors. Company lies about re-imbursement for travel and training.

The training is non-existent. There is zero follow up for your career.
The turnover is around 300%
Pros
it's a job.
Cons
many un-happy co-workers. terrible lifestyle.
Friendly employees good foods and living quarters
Kitchen/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kuparuk and numerous other North Slope campsAugust 8, 2013
I was in the Kitchen doing numerous Kitchen duties but I was also doing Head Housekeeper duties too.
There wasn't really a hard part of the jobs because I was always learning something new and gaining new work experiences.
Pros
free good foods and good living quarters
Cons
short breaks
Remote Medical Work
Tech/Medic (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 25, 2013
Two on/two off rotation but frequently forced to stay over for shifts because of weather. Great place to work but extreme weather shifts.
Pros
money
Cons
working in the arctic
Great people, and experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, waJune 13, 2013
Good learning experience, had military structure and learning about oil refinery.
Pros
uniform and structure
Cons
pay and benefits
No room for advancement , poor pay
Remote Site (Former Employee) –  North SlopeMay 9, 2013
Management and especially HR are a mess they have no clue who, what is going on. Orientation pay $11 per hour and you get paid two hours although the process take most of the day. They are a cheap paying entity and there is very little room for advancement.If you are really stuck this is the place for you.
Cons
disaray, poor management

Comment – January 7, 2014

Had an experience with this outfit which was similar at the ConoccoPhillips towers, the managers suck, ignorant and are on the edge of being reported to EEOC for their underhanded discrimination. Doyon Universal seem to think that being a native corporation that they are untouchable as they have already had a case against them and would expect more in the future