Dragonfly Transitions is looking for bright, confident, and motivated people to be mentors and role models for young adults in transition to healthy living. If you enjoy working in a professional, fun atmosphere and teaching young adults how to live in a healthy and sustainable way, please check out our full-time Farm Mentor position at the Homestead.
The Homestead, a part of Dragonfly Transitions, is a 30-acre market farm where students live and work. The farm is a place for students to work on therapeutic issues in a quiet, rural setting. Farm Mentors teach life skills as well as farming skills. Farm products are sold at the local farmer’s market as well as through a community supported agriculture program.
Role of Farm Mentor
- Be responsible for direct, primary care of young adults.
- Provide a safe and supportive environment for students by holding boundaries and working with students on their treatment goals.
- Work with a treatment team consisting of the primary Mentor, Clinical Director, Therapist, and Psychiatrist to implement students’ treatment plan and goals.
- Plan, lead, and facilitate daily activities including farm chores, cooking as a group, and group meetings. There is room to use your strengths, interests, and creativity in planning activities.
- Model healthy and appropriate interactions, conflict resolution, and life skills. Look for “teachable moments” or windows of opportunity to teach life skills, self-awareness, and other concepts.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in psychology or other social science field.
- Background in working professionally with young adult students struggling with a diversity of issues, including mental health, substance abuse, family dysfunction, motivation, and learning disabilities. Related experience will be considered.
- Experience with farming skills such as animal husbandry, equipment maintenance, weeding, and growing delicious vegetables is preferred.
- A passion for local food, organic gardening practices, and sustainable living.
- Willingness to supervise, enforce boundaries, and provide role modeling and leadership to students.