Drake University Employee Reviews

white liberal elite
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 15, 2016
I got canned without any review after four months. The students are all coddled white liberal elitists. The campus is not open to outsideers. It's cold in Des Moines.
Pros
smart students
Cons
getting canned
Productive work environment
Assistant Director of Admission - Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 19, 2016
Lots of enthusiasm for students at Drake University. Staff and Faculty genuinely care about students; AND their families.
A creative and positive challenging job
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 31, 2013
I taught in the theater department. I taught dance, choreography, lecture courses in the history of theater. My job required not only expertise in my field, but adeptness at communicating with students, faculty, administrators, and being proficient in the production end. Every work day required the very best one could offer in oral communication, and I enjoyed that aspect, and found that it came easily.

I always learned from the students, their desire to tackle the material, their discipline, and commitment, and enjoyed teaching and encouraging them to achieve ever greater heights.
Pros
working with the students, proud of their growth and advancement.
Cons
long hours in rehearsal for production, but i also found the process gratifying.
Great student position
Creative Services Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 5, 2015
Great position for a student who wants to get some office experience while not being over worked. Was able to use what I have used in my management studies to apply to the film crew. Additionally, It was great to be able to see the sporting events from a different perspective other than fan or competitor.
Pros
Flexible schedule, relaxed work setting
Cons
low pay
A great starting place for teaching
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 1, 2012
Drake was a really great place to start out. As an adjunct professor, I was given the students with less quality voices, lower interest, vocal injuries, and ones that had difficulty understanding the healthy approach to singing and the previous teachers' explanations. My students helped me learn patience and the value of lending an ear. It was a very supportive atmosphere at first, but as the years went on I could see a distancing from the other faculty members as politics got in the way and there was the realization that it was time for me to move on.

The best part about that job was helping students become better people and better singers. Hearing from semester reviews that I was the only teacher that really listened to them and helped them truly understand the concept of healthy vocal production while making it stimulating and enjoyable will stay with forever.
Great
Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 16, 2013
Drake University is a selective, private, co-educational university located in Des Moines, Iowa, USA. The institution offers a number of undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as professional programs in business, law and pharmacy. Drake is one of the twenty-five oldest law schools in the country. Distinguished alumni include Dwight D. Opperman, former CEO of West Publishing Company, after whom Drake's law library was named; Neal Smith, who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1959 until 1995. Drake is noted as a frequent host of Presidential Primary Debates leading up to the Iowa Caucus. Most recently it hosted the ABC News/Yahoo/Des Moines Register Debate in December 2011.
A top tier institution with a wonderful music department and friendly faculty.
Senior Teaching Artist in Voice (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 12, 2013
I spend my day teaching back-to-back voice lessons to undergraduate music majors, non-major participants, and musical theatre majors. I get to hang out with young and vibrant college students who love to sing and perform. I have a beautiful office with a view of campus, a grand piano, and all the creature comforts I could desire. I assist these students in identifying and correcting their vocal faults and help them hone their own diagnostic, as well as performance skills. I thoroughly love my fellow voice faculty. We are a collegial bunch with an open door policy. The hardest part of my job is choosing appropriate repertoire for nearly fifty students each semester, but the payoff is worth it when I see the students make a discovery about themselves as actors or their own instrument.
Pros
Beautiful place to work, freedom in scheduling my work day.
Cons
Non-tenure track, part time, no benefits.
Great athletic department with a vision for success
Graduate Assistant/Video Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 24, 2015
Typical day was very busy with lots of diverse projects, but enjoyed the work and coworkers. Everyone is very friendly and generally on the same page about achieving success as a department. I learned a lot about the business of college athletics.
Pros
Not micro managed
working
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 11, 2014
A typical day researching involves cell culture, cell transfections, and protein extraction. I learned a lot about all three of these techniques through my research. My primary professor is a very good instructor, and whenever I have questions he is able to answer them well. The hardest part of the job is the ever changing schedule. The research completely depends on where your cells are at in the growth stage. The most enjoyable part of the job is the research as a whole. I love learning about viruses, and since we get to make virus like particles I find this research very interesting.
Great hours, manual labor
Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Des Moines IAJanuary 8, 2014
Being a grounds keeper can take you from one extreme to the other, summer time is over 100 degrees at times and in the winter it may be below -0. Great hours 6:00 until 2:30 with option of over time. During warm weather we would mow, weed eat, and landscape. During winter season we would plow snow, de-ice, and make sure all walkways where safe for students to walk on. We also helped set up for the Drake relays and Drake football games
Pros
Great hours, Good managment
Cons
Sometimes long hours in heat/cold
Fun And Satisfying Work Environment
Campus Greenhouse and Vegetable Garden Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 1, 2013
I really enjoyed working in the greenhouse and the vegetable garden. I helped water all the plants and re-potted them as needed. I worked to remove pest insects from the plants. I cleaned and scrubbed the swamp cooler to remove algae. I organized the greenhouse supplies. And I weeded the gardens and harvested the fruits. I also enjoyed learning about new plant species from my employer. I had a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing the plants grow and produce flowers.

The things I least liked about the job was that I had limited paid hours. Even if I worked more than 6 hrs. a week, I would only get paid for 6. It was hard work maintaining everything by myself for the summer and the heat didn't help much. I had to come in early in the day or late a night so that I wouldn't get heat stroke. The greenhouse wasn't cooling properly so it was like working in a sauna.
Pros
flexible schedule, satisfying work
Cons
limited paid hours
Take care of facilities
Facility Monitor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaJune 22, 2014
Each shift would be about less than 2 hours. Manager will schedule the shift and students are responsible their shift I worked as facility monitor which my duties were take care of facilities such as dumbells, record the number of use of each facilities from students, clean the facilities and pay attention to students the way they use the machine. The hardest part of the job is I really have to pay lots of attention to students while they are using the machine or dumbells. Because if they misuse the facility, that could hurt them seriously. The most enjoyable part of the job is I can sit on chair instead of standing for 2 hours.
A world of opportunity
Drake University (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 25, 2013
At Drake University, I had the chance to try my hand at multiple skills and jobs. Drake gave me the confidence and work ethic necessary to be successful in my future career endeavors.
Great job for students
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 10, 2012
This job is offered to students who are receiving federal work-study aid. The Residence Hall Coordinators hired by Drake University are some of the most encouraging and helpful supervisors anyone could ask for. The balance between school and work is completely up to the individual. Bid sheets are given out and the staff pool work together to create a working schedule.
Pros
plenty of time to study, offers aid to those who need it.
Worthwhile Experience
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 3, 2014
As the student manager of the actuarial lab, I have learned quite a bit when it comes to communicating with other lab tutors, learning about their problems and giving out suggestions.

On top of that, I got a taste on how administrative work looks like, as I periodically update reports and spreadsheets relevant to the lab's operations.
Work/Life Balance is on the "work" side
Employee (Former Employee) –  Administrative/StaffJanuary 24, 2013
Survey driven workplace but with no support if identified with a seemingly improvable flaw. Hidden agendas abound. Surveys not transparent to employees.
Cons
overworked under paid, expected to work/available 24/7 (answer phone, emails, etc. attend nonessential activties/meetings)
Worked as a student
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 29, 2015
Worked for the school while attending for one semester, they try to work around your school schedule. Pay is ok for being a student.
Drake University
Assistant Professor & Director of Opera (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 8, 2013
My typical day began at 7 am and finished at 10 pm.

I began to learn strategic planning, fundraising, consulting, how to get along with my colleagues.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the recruiting and building relationships in the community and state.
Small University with friendly people
Coffee shop Barista (Current Employee) –  OlmstedMarch 21, 2015
The University offers wide range of opportunities on campus such as coffee shop, library, sports center and residence hall.
Wonderful place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 4, 2012
My first job in academia and fundraising. I learned a lot of new things and met a lot of great people, many who remain friends to this day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Drake University. Our community is ready to answer.

Drake University Reviews by Location