Drake University Employee Reviews

Productive, easy-going work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 25, 2017
My main job was to assist the Service Specialist in the Registrar's office; in addition to projects with the Schedule-Building & Graduation Coordinator. I assisted with the transition to electronic transcripts a week after employment started. I took ownership of special projects to fulfillment in a timely matter. Management was very approachable and welcoming.

I loved and enjoyed the environment and colleagues I worked with in the office along with helping students and processing information to help them reach their goals.
Pros
Great atmosphere, welcoming, approachable
Cons
no benefits due to temporary position
Summary
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 24, 2017
Very good school and very good people. Leadership changed recently but the school made a very good hire.

They need to continue to hire diversity all over campus but Des Moines, IA is a great place to live and raise a family.
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 31, 2017
Drake University is a great educational institution. They strive to provide their students with the best environment in order to promote their growth and future success.
Actuarial Science Grader
Actuarial Science Grader (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 19, 2017
• Managed and communicated effectively with faculty members to meet the common goal of dramatic gains in the classroom and providing a safe, productive and engaging learning environment.
• Graded homework assignments for Actuarial Science professor and provided feedback to improve the quality of questions and grading keys
• Set and met deadlines for pick up and drop off grading assignments while providing helpful, positive feedback to students on their work
Productive and Collaborative Environment
Assistant Director of Recreational Services (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 15, 2017
Rec Services was a fun work environment that challenged you to be the best version of yourself.

My favorite part of the job is the people, my co-workers were / still are awesome.
Drake is a good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Des MoinesMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed my undergrad time here and am still finishing up.
I don't understand why this website is making me think that I worked here. I was a student here.
Pros
College Education
Cons
Tuition
The Mass Communications program at Drake is impressive.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 23, 2017
I was temporary part-time adjunct professor in the Mass Communications program when tenured professors were unavailable. I taught two classes: Creative Strategies and Principles of Copywriting
Friendly Atmosphere
Administrative Assistant II/Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 23, 2017
The higher education atmosphere is a fun one to be a part of. I was part of a great team with exceptional leadership. I enjoyed the perks of working on a college campus.
Pros
Educational setting
Cons
Compensation was not satisfactory
white liberal elite
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 15, 2016
I got canned without any review after four months. The students are all coddled white liberal elitists. The campus is not open to outsideers. It's cold in Des Moines.
Pros
smart students
Cons
getting canned
Productive work environment
Assistant Director of Admission - Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 19, 2016
Lots of enthusiasm for students at Drake University. Staff and Faculty genuinely care about students; AND their families.
Drake University
Program Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  CEPDFebruary 24, 2016
Drake University in a great place to work. I have learned a lot about continuing education and enjoy working with the AEA's in the state of Iowa. I have a good working relationship with my co-workers and management is great to work for. Love every aspect of my job at Drake University.
Great student position
Creative Services Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 5, 2015
Great position for a student who wants to get some office experience while not being over worked. Was able to use what I have used in my management studies to apply to the film crew. Additionally, It was great to be able to see the sporting events from a different perspective other than fan or competitor.
Pros
Flexible schedule, relaxed work setting
Cons
low pay
Great athletic department with a vision for success
Graduate Assistant/Video Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 24, 2015
Typical day was very busy with lots of diverse projects, but enjoyed the work and coworkers. Everyone is very friendly and generally on the same page about achieving success as a department. I learned a lot about the business of college athletics.
Pros
Not micro managed
Worked as a student
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 29, 2015
Worked for the school while attending for one semester, they try to work around your school schedule. Pay is ok for being a student.
Small University with friendly people
Coffee shop Barista (Current Employee) –  OlmstedMarch 21, 2015
The University offers wide range of opportunities on campus such as coffee shop, library, sports center and residence hall.
Worthwhile Experience
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 3, 2014
As the student manager of the actuarial lab, I have learned quite a bit when it comes to communicating with other lab tutors, learning about their problems and giving out suggestions.

On top of that, I got a taste on how administrative work looks like, as I periodically update reports and spreadsheets relevant to the lab's operations.
Take care of facilities
Facility Monitor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaJune 22, 2014
Each shift would be about less than 2 hours. Manager will schedule the shift and students are responsible their shift I worked as facility monitor which my duties were take care of facilities such as dumbells, record the number of use of each facilities from students, clean the facilities and pay attention to students the way they use the machine. The hardest part of the job is I really have to pay lots of attention to students while they are using the machine or dumbells. Because if they misuse the facility, that could hurt them seriously. The most enjoyable part of the job is I can sit on chair instead of standing for 2 hours.
working
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 11, 2014
A typical day researching involves cell culture, cell transfections, and protein extraction. I learned a lot about all three of these techniques through my research. My primary professor is a very good instructor, and whenever I have questions he is able to answer them well. The hardest part of the job is the ever changing schedule. The research completely depends on where your cells are at in the growth stage. The most enjoyable part of the job is the research as a whole. I love learning about viruses, and since we get to make virus like particles I find this research very interesting.
Great hours, manual labor
Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Des Moines IAJanuary 8, 2014
Being a grounds keeper can take you from one extreme to the other, summer time is over 100 degrees at times and in the winter it may be below -0. Great hours 6:00 until 2:30 with option of over time. During warm weather we would mow, weed eat, and landscape. During winter season we would plow snow, de-ice, and make sure all walkways where safe for students to walk on. We also helped set up for the Drake relays and Drake football games
Pros
Great hours, Good managment
Cons
Sometimes long hours in heat/cold
A top tier institution with a wonderful music department and friendly faculty.
Senior Teaching Artist in Voice (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 12, 2013
I spend my day teaching back-to-back voice lessons to undergraduate music majors, non-major participants, and musical theatre majors. I get to hang out with young and vibrant college students who love to sing and perform. I have a beautiful office with a view of campus, a grand piano, and all the creature comforts I could desire. I assist these students in identifying and correcting their vocal faults and help them hone their own diagnostic, as well as performance skills. I thoroughly love my fellow voice faculty. We are a collegial bunch with an open door policy. The hardest part of my job is choosing appropriate repertoire for nearly fifty students each semester, but the payoff is worth it when I see the students make a discovery about themselves as actors or their own instrument.
Pros
Beautiful place to work, freedom in scheduling my work day.
Cons
Non-tenure track, part time, no benefits.