DreamWorks Animation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work
Exec. Asst. Head of Production Finance (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 1, 2016
Great Company to work for. College Campus like environment. Management can use a little work as far as the way they treat their assistants.
Good company culture
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 22, 2016
I work as a software intern here and people in the company are really nice and there have many events every day.
There provide breakfast and lunch which is very nice. Team members are kind and always discuss together.
Technically challenging and fun place to work.
Operations Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 17, 2015
I supported the technical needs of over 2,000 employees who were mostly concentrated in California, but others who were in London, India and China. In addition, working on technology projects that the studio was pioneering was incredibly rewarding.
Awesomeness TV
Production, Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 30, 2015
I worked for the Awesomness TV division of Dreamworks. This is a very creative place as well as a very diverse place to work. You will be thrown into many different scenarios and assignments
Wonderful environment
Executive Assistant to Deputy CFO (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 10, 2015
Great "campus"/studio environment. Free meals really help balance out their slightly lower salaries. I'd return if there were a position for me.
Pros
Free meals (breakfast and lunch), beautiful campus
Cons
Lower salaries, job stability
DreamWorks is a creative company that inspires their talent to dream bigger dreams.
VP of Global Retail Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 6, 2015
I was hired to set the retail sales and trade marketing strategy and vision for the Consumer Products Division, as well as, recruited and hired an elite team of 14 professionals. 50% of the job required travel, domestic and international. The best of my job was working with so many talented team members across all functions of the Studio.
Work hard, play hard. Fantastic Company!
Payroll Manager - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 31, 2015
I was the manager of a very busy department, but I had a wonderful team and we enjoyed our work and time we spent together. We all had the same passion & enthusiasm to perform our jobs at the highest level
Pros
Free meals! Gorgeous campus!
Cons
None!
We made cartoons
Global Brand Creative Design and Development (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Fun place to work. Wish the movies were more profitable. Hope Dreamworks finds a way to flip the graph so that the line climbs up.
Fun, Fast Paced and Challenging
Product Development Intern - Consumer Products (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 13, 2015
DreamWorks Animation SKG is a tremendous place to work. Their competitive nature allows many employees to collaboratively work together, achieving maximum value from their work.
Creative, energetic and exciting place to work
Recruiting Specialist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2014
DreamWorks Animation is a wonderful place to work. The studio is a very relaxed, university environment that fosters creativity and productivity.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch provided by studio daily
Awesome place to intern
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CASeptember 3, 2014
This company really does a lot for its interns including classes with executives almost every Friday. Great learning opportunity, fun environment and friendly/helpful people
Excellent atmosphere conducive with creative environment
Research Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 7, 2014
DreamWorks Animation was an excellent place to work. We were always busy and always working on films that we knew were entertaining and would give the audience the best possible movie-going experience.
Management at DWA is supportive of the employees in a way that I haven't experienced at other companies. From the free lunch and breakfast to the supportive environment, it's a great place to be.
Most of my co-workers are supportive as well. The culture of collaboration that has been created here allows for employees to get along well with each other and not feel like they're in competition with each other.
The hardest part of the job is living up to the standard every day that has been set. Sometimes we can become victims of our own success, and maintaining that level of excellence consistently is always a challenge.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to collaborate with some of the world's most talented artists on a daily basis.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch; beautiful campus, extra-curicular activities
Cons
difficult to advance; easy to get pidgeon-hiled
fun great plaec to works
Videographer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 11, 2014
Awesome! Everyone works hard and is a positive influence on one another. I've also learned a lot about video and animation editing.
Pros
free food!
Cons
no job openings
As Inspiring as A College Campus
Project Coordinator / Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 20, 2013
DreamWorks Animation had been the platform for me to succeed both professionally and personally for the past 7 years.
The best thing about working here is also the hardest - each and every work day brings constant changes and new challenges. Luckily, the culture here is as diverse (and lively) as a college campus so there is no shortage of variety when it comes to co-workers and the solutions/views they bring.
Pros
free food, free movies, parties, an amazing campus
Cons
career pathing options
A wonderful place to work and learn!
Special Events Intern & Theatrical Mrktg Intern (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 17, 2013
DreamWorks Animation is unlike any other studio in the industry. The internship program is wonderful because interns are paired with a supervisor and given long-term projects as well as daily assignments. The interns are also provided with the opportunity to attend weekly Q&As with different department heads to learn more about the various departments at the studio.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch, fun working environment
Cons
long hours, no pay
very productive and a fun place to work
Production Intern-Penguins of Madagascar (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAFebruary 21, 2013
This is a great company to work for. All of the employees are supportive and very creative. The atmosphere is serious yet fun. Can't complain about the abundance of free food and a great selection of vegetarian options. This is a quality company to work for and a great place to be.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Many Perks
Accounts Payable Temp (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 15, 2013
I worked in shoe box with 3 other accounts payable team members. Many personalities and most had been there years. It was an opportunity to value my personal space, which was limited and also how to work in close, chaotic environments at a quick pace. I think the hardest part was not having a voice, but feeling like I had much to contribute. The most enjoyable part would be the relationships I built with other colleagues outside of my group. When I look back at this experience I know that I was able to work for a Forbes top 15 company and do it successfully.
Pros
breakfast and lunch
Cons
micro-managed

Comment – July 3, 2013

I've managed many clerk-level temp employees over my 30+ entertainment industry career. All were more than eager to work in "hollywood" and most had ideas that would surely change our department, our company, and all our lives for the better. The expectation that these ideas would be immediately adopted was often untamed by the fact that most simply wouldn't work. Yes, the non-production-related positions in entertainment are often disappointing to those hoping for front-of-the-camera excitement. If the perm folks work in a "shoebox", and anyone hired to do the same for a short time period was shown the space ahead of time, should there be issues? My assumption here is that often those not as successful as self-assessed turn their inability to thrive into a criticism of their environment. I would hate to have a less-than-stellar review of a more-than-usual company turn away qualified potential candidates for open positions.

Great and fn place to work
Digital Ink and Painter (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 24, 2012
I love animation and have been fortunate to work in this industry. It has been a wonderful exoerience working along side talented artists and making friends with them. Dreamworks is a great place to work. I really enjoy working there and I wish I can work there again.
DreamWorks Animation was a fun and challenging place to work.
Digital Media Operator / Videotape Operator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 17, 2012
I really learned a lot about the entire post production workflow while at DreamWorks Animation.
Jeffrey is amazing, but his ideas don't trickle down to middle management
production person (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2012
Highly paranoid people. Due to middle management lacking typical degrees in business management or otherwise; lot's of managers hired due to "knowing somebody". Most production staff is highly competitive, and management encourages a "survival of the fittest" mentality. Warm and cuddly on the outside with the campus perks, but the reality is very different at it's core.

For the employee that never aspires to do anything but work on art and never progress their career, this place is great. The minute you show any desire to advance your career, the sharks will come out.
Pros
free food, beautiful campus, jk really cares and is very nice, films are fun to work on
Cons
cut throat environment is encouraged or often overlooked, middle management often lacks education or training, reviews are done by artist with no management experience

4.5