Dressbarn Employee Reviews in United States

Enoyed the high volume of customer interaction
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 29, 2016
Managing sales clerks, opening and closing of store and cash registers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get new merchandise on the sales floor when short staffed. My most enjoyable part of my job was having daily customer interaction, knowing that I was making someone enjoy there shopping experience and having regular customer in which would come in to shop or just to say Hi.
Pros
Advancement potential, parking
Cons
Raises were not very often.
Beware of Management
Assistant Manager/Salesperson/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXApril 3, 2016
Associates come & go along with Asst. Managers. The Store Manager is nice in the beginning but as you continue to work there her other side starts to appear. She runs her mouth about her associates & the Asst Managers. Will fuss & get on to you in front of customers, will tell you no gossiping in the store about your other associates but yet she is doing it all the time. When there is a floor move to do, Corp. sends a Floor Set in what the store is to look like, but yet she will come & change it all up. She is constantly complaining about associates or customers or making ugly rude remarks about them. The FT Asst Manager can hardly see. Last I heard there is the Store Manager, FT Asst Manager & 2 PT Asst Managers. Only get benefits if your full time. All Assoc. Are PTime. There are the rules by Corp., another set by Store Manager, then another by District Leader. An Environment that you find petty, the greatest pleasure is helping the customers with the fashion. Lots of styles that are out dated, especially the fabrics & prints....most is old school.
Pros
Customer Service, snacks in breakroom, most associates willing to work as a team.
Cons
No breaks except for lunch, few hrs, Low pay
Dress Barn is a great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMarch 20, 2016
I understand many jobs cannot offer more than part-time, however we just never seem to have enough hours to really even hit 20 hours a week per person. I wish there were more hours or I probably wouldn't be looking for another job. Overall though, I love it there. The atmosphere and team members are great!
Pros
Great team, easy going atmosphere, business casual dress
Cons
Not enough hours and not many benefits offered for part timers
Amazing benefits, Low pay, High Stress
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLNovember 6, 2015
The pay is below average for Store Manager and the stress is at a high level.
They give you all the typical responsibilities but no cameras and not enough hours to support the store and reduce shrink, also tell you that you must not take your work home with you, but you also can't clutter the counter with paperwork and cannot stay in the backroom to do it so you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Local and Regional management not supportive.

PROs are definitely the benefits. Very affordable and top notch.
Pros
Definitely the benefits. Very affordable and top notch.
Cons
See details
Dressbarn
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJNovember 18, 2015
A typical day at Dressbarn is to give your customer the best customer service experience. I would say customer service is the most important thing to the company. The next thing would be making sure you have a comfortable work environment. The same way you treat the customers you should treat your employees with the same respect.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
don't give good raises
Nice workplace
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I have enjoyed working at Dress Barn over the years, but many changes have occurred. It is a nice workplace and I enjoy helping the customers.
Pros
Goodie basket from DM
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Great management, good company to work for.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ/ Lake Buena Vista Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Dress Barn it's the type of company that will prepare you for a management carer, very reliable company and benefits are a great plus.
Fun retail job
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 20, 2016
Fun retail job. Like most retail jobs, salary and benefits are not the best. If you like women's retail and not too concerned about the rest, it is worth the experience.
Non supportive upper management leadership, gossip about team that was very negative before I was hired. Needed to hire new assistant managers.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAAugust 30, 2015
Great customers to assist and create an atmosphere of honesty and creativity for each customer. Have a positive attitude with the team, instill honesty, integrity, and happy environment to work in. The Assistant managers were disgruntled of not being promoted to manager position. Upon being hired I was told by DSM and RSDM that management team needed to be replaced. They told me I had support from them to hire a new team that managers that filled the position before me were quiting, they couldn't keep a manager longer than a year. I was the fourth manager to be hired. From the first day to the last day my Assistant managers were disgruntled that I was the manager. I received nothing but negativity from the assistant managers. The assistant management team did not support my leadership they would do anything they could to make my job harder. I was very displeased at upper management for not supporting me. It was a he said she said environment.
Pros
good benefits, bonuses, nice customers
Cons
non supportive leadership skills within the district
Retail/Customer Service
Associate (Current Employee) –  New HampshireAugust 3, 2015
The job is fun and I do love my coworkers. Not much room for advancement unless you are willing to devote every waking moment to a job that says they promote work/life balance. Entry level job that has too much pressure. Compensation is horrible for the job, but unfortunately typical.

Help customers, make sales, resolve issues, work towards goals in team setting, setting store displays, cleaning.
Pros
More flexibility than other retail customer service jobs
Cons
Compensation and growth potential
Evolving business where innovation was welcolmed
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJNovember 6, 2015
Energetic work environment with diverse people both employed and patronizing. Personable "family" orientated atmosphere. Most enjoyed learning different merchandising skills with mass amounts of inventory.
Pros
weekly pay, bonuses, hourly instead of salary
I learned alot about the clothing retail business
Stockroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 20, 2015
I hung clothing in the stockroom
I helped set up new stores
I helped on the sales floor when needed
Fixed fixtures so they were safe for the sales floor
Changed light to adequately display our product
Pros
I worked with alot of great women at the store my manager were phenominal
Cons
We only recieved a $.25 cent raise every year
Family
Sales Associate/Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 16, 2016
While working at Dress Barn, at Store 777, I always felt like I was part of a family. I always looked forward to going to work and working with my fellow colleagues. A typical work day was like not knowing what to expect. Some days you felt like there were buses that just unloaded people and others were like watching a clock. The hardest part of the job was informing a customer that we didn't have her size in stock, but at the same time the most enjoyable part was helping that same customer find some thing similar in her size. I learned how to follow sales reports and working as a team to meet our sales goals for the day. I also learned that our sales not only effected us for our month to month basis, but it also effected how many hours your management team can give you.
Pros
Family like enviornment, Friendly coworkers
Amazing coworkers across the nation, great communication, and wonderful clothes!
Retail/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAMay 29, 2015
A day in Dressbarn typically consists of a lot of customer service, cleaning, and stocking. I've learned through our motto "Inspiring women to look and feel beautiful" that there are a lot of women who need that extra confidence boost. It feels amazing being able to put a little pep in my customer's step! Management isn't so bad, sometimes you just need a little more communication. Co-workers are amazing if you have the right store, I wouldn't trade my girls for anything. They are my family! The only hard part of the job that I can really think of is trying to advance and get raises. There's a yearly review that's based solely on what your manager thinks of you, and you don't have much say in whether they decide to raise your pay or not. I love my job, though! Such a wonderful company with a wonderful and inspiring message and mission!
Enjoy working with customers
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIFebruary 29, 2016
typical day at work: opening the store with a manager, cleaning, and straightening tables, then greeting customers and helping them find items they need. I then escort them to a fitting room and get additional items they want. I then ring up their sales. I learned from management how our store operates, visual displays, ordering merchandising for customers. Best part of my job is working with the customers, many of them I am on a first name basis. I enjoy helping them put together an outfit.

I need another part-time job and would like to go into merchandising going to different stores, straightening and stocking shelves, scanning inventory. I know I can be an asset to your company because of my sales experience.

Hardest part of this job is sometimes speeding up at the register when we are busy.
Pros
friendly atmosphere.
Cons
not getting enough part time hours, low pay
Big store, lots to do
Asst Mgr. (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, IASeptember 24, 2015
Workplace is upbeat, most days. There is a lot to do here, ALWAYS!
It is close to home and I have made many friends and have started many new relationships. Hard at times to get that work/life balance.
Pros
Great benefits, close to home
Cons
Too many floor changes
dressbarn is awesome
Top Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 1, 2015
Amazing place to work, the people, the company and the opportunities are all there. Work hard, show initiative and someone WILL notice, not can be said for all companies. You usually work in a small group of women so it's a pretty intimate setting of people who will do almost anything for each other.
Pros
amazing benefits for full time, they strive to make you the best person you can be, awesome work life balance, there are advances if you work hard ask questions and are willing to relocate sometimes
Cons
can be boring on slow season
I love fashion
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJanuary 27, 2016
I loved my team. I achieved great things i.e. exceeds sales quota, inspiring a team to great heights, advancing many of my underlings to management positions of their own,
Pros
Sales Incentive
Cons
Bullied by another Manager in another store, direct Manager was self-centered and lacked concern for others, home life took a backseat despite their claim for work-life balance
Great place to work with amazing teammates and great discounts
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJune 17, 2015
Coming into work is always different and interesting: I debrief with management and my colleagues about current situations for customers and the store, then analyze for myself the floor and any customers' needs. I neaten any askew items, clean, handle transactions of every kind except managerial-approved only and attend to customers and their requests.
I've learned a lot about clothing, design, and how to meet and diagnose customer's needs for outfits while providing a great experience for the customer. I've honed my team-work skills significantly and can work quickly and efficiently as part of one.
The hardest part of the job is actually the most enjoyable part of the job: finding the customer what they're after. I like analyzing and going over the customer's tastes, desires and seeing if we have anything to fit those needs. We often find outfits and styles together and if we don't, at least we had a great experience.
Pros
Friendly environment, great team, efficient work space, helping out on many different tasks, high discount, very good management
Cons
Needed benefits and a higher wage
Great company
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 29, 2015
Work Life Balance is key, in this retail company.
Benefits and employee discount incredible.
There is an element of transparency, empowerment, and continual personal and professional growth.