Dressbarn Employee Reviews

A Life of a Dressbarn Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILDecember 21, 2016
A great team of women and a good environment to work in. I have learned how to use my skills and knowledge in fashion and transfer it to working directly with customers and leaving them with a great customer experience.
As far a pay, it could definitely be better and benefits as well. The management of the district and overall company could be run a bit better with employee benefits and encouragement.
very flexible, understanding, and let's you give your artist visuals or fashion tastes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WI 53546July 16, 2016
I truly enjoy and see my self in a career in Dressbarn, they are very flexible, enjoyable, creative, bonding, and they want to see you blossom. Helping customers find a perfect dress for their date or a special occasion knowing that you were the one to boost their confidence in wearing that specific dress/clothing. My manager treats me like one of her daughters, they are truly caring and understanding when you need time off or need specific shifts. The hardest part of the job is trying not to buy all the clothes in the store or when a new set of clothes come in. My coworkers are part of my life and family, they are fun, mature, professional and once again understanding.
Pros
they pay for your gas, lunch or hotel if you volunteer to help at another store, discounts in about 5+ sister stores, very flexible
Cons
little benefits
Productive and enjoyable work place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 24, 2016
A typical day at Dressbarn would include helping customers to fitting rooms, assisting them in finding outfits for special events or a new wardrobe. I learned to work with different people, personalities and styles to accommodate to the customers liking. The management was well rounded and overall they looked out for the benefit of the employees and the store. My co-workers were great, we didn't work as much with each other as we did with management. The hardest part of the job I would say was accommodating to every customer at the same time, or having a certain task to complete all while helping the customers present. The most enjoyable aspect about Dressbarn was the welcoming environment and shopping experience.
Pros
Yearly raise
Cons
Rare promotion opportunites
challenging work place, salary is very low for management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  texasDecember 11, 2016
Fortune 100 company, cannot support myself on this salary all sales and management are under paid need to have sales experience, merchandising experience accounting and HR training. Pay is extremely low.
Pros
Diverse work schedules
Cons
Low salary, long working days manager has no clue what is going on
Beautiful Associates, inside and out
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXSeptember 27, 2016
I would stay with this job forever....if I could afford to. Sadly, 8.95 an hour won't keep anyone living long, especially a part-timer. The benefits are wonderful....if you're full-time....sadly, i am not...and they aren't hiring full-time for anything. The associates are all wonderful individuals who are delightfully unique and quirky in their own ways.
Pros
I met some of the most amazing people here.
Cons
....can't live on their base hourly pay.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed getting to know the customers, there were always repeat customers. The management was always good at addressing customer needs and getting them met to the best of their ability
Pros
Getting to know people
Cons
Compensation
easy job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 1, 2016
Typical retail job, customers are what makes your day depending on their attitude. New store "leader" doesnt do much leading. Cut hours down to half of what they used to be, so payday isn't very exciting anymore. Espeically when you're trying to get your stuff together to be on your own. Co-workers and assisstant managers are awesome! Super nice, and make you feel very welcome.
Really an easy place to work, great company to work for, good environment overall.
Pros
great environtment
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, not enough hours.
Wonderful place to work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 10, 2017
I have worked at Dressbarn for a little over a year, and I absolutely love it. I started as a sales associate and was promoted to an assistant manager within 6 months. I've worked in two different locations and helped out in a few others, and I haven't met a single co-worker that I didn't get along with instantly. The most enjoyable part of the job is... the job! Getting paid to help women look and feel beautiful is extremely rewarding. The hardest part of the job is having to be on your feet 8 hours a day. It doesn't bother me while I'm doing it, it's the rough feet and necessary pedicures that drew my attention to how rough it is to stand/walk for long periods. It is almost impossible to find a full-time position in this company. I have yet to meet a full-time sales associate. The full-time managers have been there for years (I'm talking 20+!) and they aren't going anywhere. When the hours get cut in January and February, if you are part-time, your pay gets cut in half, while the full-timers take no pay-cut because they are able to use vacation and choice-time to make up their hours. The pay can be terrible, depending on which location you're hired at and how much experience you have. Overall, I love working at Dressbarn and would recommend it to anyone not seeking full-time employment/a large salary.
Pros
Wonderful work environment, positive culture, decent pay, flexible hours.
Cons
Full-time is extremely hard to come by, Hours get cut frequently, No benefits/paid-time off/vacation unless you are full-time
Customer service orientated job with opportunity to advance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Walker, MISeptember 5, 2016
Working here is never boring; there's always an opportunity to meet a new customer and tailor your sales approach to their individual needs. a sense of current fashion trends is a must as well as a positive attitude.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great benefits, employee discount
Cons
low pay, high turnover
great culture
Assistant Buyer, Career Blouses (Current Employee) –  Mahwah, NJAugust 3, 2016
Dressbarn has a great company culture and is an extremely friendly workplace environment. Compensation for the amount of hard work that is put into this brand by the employees needs improvement
Fun place to work, great company and benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJuly 5, 2016
Limited opportunity at the time so accepted new position. The starting pay was low, but received raises every year even in the down economy. Great benefits for health insurance, if opportunity arose would consider returning.
Enoyed the high volume of customer interaction
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 29, 2016
Managing sales clerks, opening and closing of store and cash registers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get new merchandise on the sales floor when short staffed. My most enjoyable part of my job was having daily customer interaction, knowing that I was making someone enjoy there shopping experience and having regular customer in which would come in to shop or just to say Hi.
Pros
Advancement potential, parking
Cons
Raises were not very often.
Not a bad company to work for.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJune 10, 2016
As a member of management we were continuously changing the flow of the store. It definitely took time away from customers. But overall it is a good company to work for.
benefits
Cons
pay scale
Always changing
Part-Time Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MD 21093November 9, 2016
There is always something to do. It is never a dull moment. The environment allows a person to grow in their work environment and help build skills for other careers outside of Dressbarn. An employee will gain skills in sales, time management, customer service, employee relations, problem solving, and shipment. These skills can transfer to other areas of life and work.
Pros
Every day is a new learning experience
Beware of Management
Assistant Manager/Salesperson/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXApril 3, 2016
Associates come & go along with Asst. Managers. The Store Manager is nice in the beginning but as you continue to work there her other side starts to appear. She runs her mouth about her associates & the Asst Managers. Will fuss & get on to you in front of customers, will tell you no gossiping in the store about your other associates but yet she is doing it all the time. When there is a floor move to do, Corp. sends a Floor Set in what the store is to look like, but yet she will come & change it all up. She is constantly complaining about associates or customers or making ugly rude remarks about them. The FT Asst Manager can hardly see. Last I heard there is the Store Manager, FT Asst Manager & 2 PT Asst Managers. Only get benefits if your full time. All Assoc. Are PTime. There are the rules by Corp., another set by Store Manager, then another by District Leader. An Environment that you find petty, the greatest pleasure is helping the customers with the fashion. Lots of styles that are out dated, especially the fabrics & prints....most is old school.
Pros
Customer Service, snacks in breakroom, most associates willing to work as a team.
Cons
No breaks except for lunch, few hrs, Low pay
I loved the manager I hired on with.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTOctober 5, 2016
Expect to be on the floor for hours in heels, climbing ladders to change signage. Floor set are done almost monthly. which means caring tables around that weigh over 40 pounds. to new areas in the store 12 of them .You also have the job of cleaning the public restroom, vacuuming and washing windows at close. Also with heels and nice clothes on. Your expected to wear necklace, earrings bangles and always have on lipstick. Store branding. I loved the manager I had and the ladies I worked with. But they can choose to do what ever they want and put new managers in and send other managers (For there growth) Even if they don't want to leave. Higher Management can play with peoples lives to their own desires. Worked there several years, loved the customers, and the team. But don't ever get settled in thinking that the hard work will pay off.
Pros
40 % discount on over priced clothes
Can be enjoyable
Full Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 3, 2016
Has its magic moments. Unfortunately if you want to move into management there is little to no formal training. You must learn as you go by shadowing and in my case, not necessarily by invitation or intention. Co-workers are an enjoyable part of the job, management again, because no formal training program or location existed, appears random / not in any order. Although the company seemed to provide tools for its employees that were helpful such as webinars and conference group calls, the implementation of said was disjointed. District leaders have little or no accountability or so it appears, and there is a good ole "boy" network for sure. It is a female dominated work force. You will learn the basics of retail management. You are also the visual merchandisers of the stores, with publications to direct you each month. Again you learn by shadowing and/or teaching yourself through reading the visual guidelines, and there are an extensive set of those. Lots of politics. As Dressbarn is struggling as a brand, you now feel that pressure.
Pros
Co workers are generally pleasant as is work environment.
Cons
Training is random, not linear, company is demanding more and more from all.
Dress Barn is a great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMarch 20, 2016
I understand many jobs cannot offer more than part-time, however we just never seem to have enough hours to really even hit 20 hours a week per person. I wish there were more hours or I probably wouldn't be looking for another job. Overall though, I love it there. The atmosphere and team members are great!
Pros
Great team, easy going atmosphere, business casual dress
Cons
Not enough hours and not many benefits offered for part timers
Quality workplace where everyone feels valued.
SENIOR STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHDecember 10, 2016
Dressbarn is a company that truly values all of their employees from the bottom to the top. Communication is very open, lots of transparency. I have said before in discussions with my store and district leader, I do not like working in retail, I like working for Dressbarn. This is a whole different way of working in a retail world. Work/life balance is key to them and there is very little turnover.
A very Fun Environment
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJDecember 26, 2016
Overall a great work environment.Learned a lot with being with the company. A typical day working at Dressbarn was coming in during your shift. learning about the new floor sets that may or may not have come in yet. Then you basically get out on the floor converse with the customers and try to make a sale.
Pros
Discounts, Flexible Hours
Cons
30 minutes break, Standing long, Small room for advancements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dressbarn. Our community is ready to answer.