Dressbarn Employee Reviews

Enoyed the high volume of customer interaction
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 29, 2016
Managing sales clerks, opening and closing of store and cash registers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get new merchandise on the sales floor when short staffed. My most enjoyable part of my job was having daily customer interaction, knowing that I was making someone enjoy there shopping experience and having regular customer in which would come in to shop or just to say Hi.
Pros
Advancement potential, parking
Cons
Raises were not very often.
Beware of Management
Assistant Manager/Salesperson/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXApril 3, 2016
Associates come & go along with Asst. Managers. The Store Manager is nice in the beginning but as you continue to work there her other side starts to appear. She runs her mouth about her associates & the Asst Managers. Will fuss & get on to you in front of customers, will tell you no gossiping in the store about your other associates but yet she is doing it all the time. When there is a floor move to do, Corp. sends a Floor Set in what the store is to look like, but yet she will come & change it all up. She is constantly complaining about associates or customers or making ugly rude remarks about them. The FT Asst Manager can hardly see. Last I heard there is the Store Manager, FT Asst Manager & 2 PT Asst Managers. Only get benefits if your full time. All Assoc. Are PTime. There are the rules by Corp., another set by Store Manager, then another by District Leader. An Environment that you find petty, the greatest pleasure is helping the customers with the fashion. Lots of styles that are out dated, especially the fabrics & prints....most is old school.
Pros
Customer Service, snacks in breakroom, most associates willing to work as a team.
Cons
No breaks except for lunch, few hrs, Low pay
Dress Barn is a great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMarch 20, 2016
I understand many jobs cannot offer more than part-time, however we just never seem to have enough hours to really even hit 20 hours a week per person. I wish there were more hours or I probably wouldn't be looking for another job. Overall though, I love it there. The atmosphere and team members are great!
Pros
Great team, easy going atmosphere, business casual dress
Cons
Not enough hours and not many benefits offered for part timers
Amazing benefits, Low pay, High Stress
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLNovember 6, 2015
The pay is below average for Store Manager and the stress is at a high level.
They give you all the typical responsibilities but no cameras and not enough hours to support the store and reduce shrink, also tell you that you must not take your work home with you, but you also can't clutter the counter with paperwork and cannot stay in the backroom to do it so you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Local and Regional management not supportive.

PROs are definitely the benefits. Very affordable and top notch.
Pros
Definitely the benefits. Very affordable and top notch.
Cons
See details
Nice workplace
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 10, 2016
I have enjoyed working at Dress Barn over the years, but many changes have occurred. It is a nice workplace and I enjoy helping the customers.
Pros
Goodie basket from DM
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Dressbarn
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJNovember 18, 2015
A typical day at Dressbarn is to give your customer the best customer service experience. I would say customer service is the most important thing to the company. The next thing would be making sure you have a comfortable work environment. The same way you treat the customers you should treat your employees with the same respect.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
don't give good raises
Great management, good company to work for.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ/ Lake Buena Vista Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Dress Barn it's the type of company that will prepare you for a management carer, very reliable company and benefits are a great plus.
very flexible, understanding, and let's you give your artist visuals or fashion tastes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WI 53546July 16, 2016
I truly enjoy and see my self in a career in Dressbarn, they are very flexible, enjoyable, creative, bonding, and they want to see you blossom. Helping customers find a perfect dress for their date or a special occasion knowing that you were the one to boost their confidence in wearing that specific dress/clothing. My manager treats me like one of her daughters, they are truly caring and understanding when you need time off or need specific shifts. The hardest part of the job is trying not to buy all the clothes in the store or when a new set of clothes come in. My coworkers are part of my life and family, they are fun, mature, professional and once again understanding.
Pros
they pay for your gas, lunch or hotel if you volunteer to help at another store, discounts in about 5+ sister stores, very flexible
Cons
little benefits
Fun retail job
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 20, 2016
Fun retail job. Like most retail jobs, salary and benefits are not the best. If you like women's retail and not too concerned about the rest, it is worth the experience.
Supportive management and great first job
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulalip, WAJuly 17, 2016
My managers worked with me to help me break out of my shell and excel at customer service. I gained confidence making sales and getting feedback for continuing to do good work. I loved the fast paced environment on busy days and that there's always something to do. The hardest part is just juggling serving customers with other tasks related to the job, but there's not an excessive amount of pressure put on associates. My managers were always sensitive and checked in to make sure I wasn't getting overwhelmed. Hearing feedback from customers is the best part of the job. I loved the culture and I'm sad to go.
Pros
associate discount, flexible scheduling
Cons
not always enough hours, sometimes short staffed
Productive and enjoyable work place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 24, 2016
A typical day at Dressbarn would include helping customers to fitting rooms, assisting them in finding outfits for special events or a new wardrobe. I learned to work with different people, personalities and styles to accommodate to the customers liking. The management was well rounded and overall they looked out for the benefit of the employees and the store. My co-workers were great, we didn't work as much with each other as we did with management. The hardest part of the job I would say was accommodating to every customer at the same time, or having a certain task to complete all while helping the customers present. The most enjoyable aspect about Dressbarn was the welcoming environment and shopping experience.
Pros
Yearly raise
Cons
Rare promotion opportunites
Customer service focused
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCJuly 5, 2016
Very focused on providing excellent customer service and building relationships with customers. Not too much tasking to be done, required to have at least two associates at a time so the work load is manageable. The hardest part is the customers really want one on one attention and you need to remember their names. You also have to sell their credit card, although they offer a discount for an application. The best part is getting to know the customers and having them come in and look for you and give you good feedback.
Pros
Nice clothes, nice customers, good support from the company
Cons
Secret shoppers are very picky if you miss any details
Family
Sales Associate/Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 16, 2016
While working at Dress Barn, at Store 777, I always felt like I was part of a family. I always looked forward to going to work and working with my fellow colleagues. A typical work day was like not knowing what to expect. Some days you felt like there were buses that just unloaded people and others were like watching a clock. The hardest part of the job was informing a customer that we didn't have her size in stock, but at the same time the most enjoyable part was helping that same customer find some thing similar in her size. I learned how to follow sales reports and working as a team to meet our sales goals for the day. I also learned that our sales not only effected us for our month to month basis, but it also effected how many hours your management team can give you.
Pros
Family like enviornment, Friendly coworkers
Retail/Customer Service
Associate (Current Employee) –  New HampshireAugust 3, 2015
The job is fun and I do love my coworkers. Not much room for advancement unless you are willing to devote every waking moment to a job that says they promote work/life balance. Entry level job that has too much pressure. Compensation is horrible for the job, but unfortunately typical.

Help customers, make sales, resolve issues, work towards goals in team setting, setting store displays, cleaning.
Pros
More flexibility than other retail customer service jobs
Cons
Compensation and growth potential
Enjoyable atmosphere to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 1, 2016
Working at Dressbarn was very enjoyable. I like the fact that the company unlike many others strongly believe in work and life balance. This being said, if you are schedule to leave at 6pm, then 6pm it is, you will not even be allowed a minute longer. At the same time your supervisor will give you realistic time frame and/or dead lines for projects always keeping the client in mind. You want employees having a fresh mind and being available to the client at all time, not tired and overworked. Time off, vacations, and schedules are also though out around this.

On the other hand, not in every location did I see advancement.
In my last location, employees got cross trained for any position in the store and were pretty much able to take over another position if needed, but I felt that the manager will like her employees so much, that even if the employee was completely capable and ready for a promotion transferring to another location she would not allowed it.
Pros
work and life balance and respect for each other
Cons
not every location allowed advancement
Non supportive upper management leadership, gossip about team that was very negative before I was hired. Needed to hire new assistant managers.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAAugust 30, 2015
Great customers to assist and create an atmosphere of honesty and creativity for each customer. Have a positive attitude with the team, instill honesty, integrity, and happy environment to work in. The Assistant managers were disgruntled of not being promoted to manager position. Upon being hired I was told by DSM and RSDM that management team needed to be replaced. They told me I had support from them to hire a new team that managers that filled the position before me were quiting, they couldn't keep a manager longer than a year. I was the fourth manager to be hired. From the first day to the last day my Assistant managers were disgruntled that I was the manager. I received nothing but negativity from the assistant managers. The assistant management team did not support my leadership they would do anything they could to make my job harder. I was very displeased at upper management for not supporting me. It was a he said she said environment.
Pros
good benefits, bonuses, nice customers
Cons
non supportive leadership skills within the district
Amazing coworkers across the nation, great communication, and wonderful clothes!
Retail/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAMay 29, 2015
A day in Dressbarn typically consists of a lot of customer service, cleaning, and stocking. I've learned through our motto "Inspiring women to look and feel beautiful" that there are a lot of women who need that extra confidence boost. It feels amazing being able to put a little pep in my customer's step! Management isn't so bad, sometimes you just need a little more communication. Co-workers are amazing if you have the right store, I wouldn't trade my girls for anything. They are my family! The only hard part of the job that I can really think of is trying to advance and get raises. There's a yearly review that's based solely on what your manager thinks of you, and you don't have much say in whether they decide to raise your pay or not. I love my job, though! Such a wonderful company with a wonderful and inspiring message and mission!
Evolving business where innovation was welcolmed
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJNovember 6, 2015
Energetic work environment with diverse people both employed and patronizing. Personable "family" orientated atmosphere. Most enjoyed learning different merchandising skills with mass amounts of inventory.
Pros
weekly pay, bonuses, hourly instead of salary
Enjoy working with customers
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIFebruary 29, 2016
typical day at work: opening the store with a manager, cleaning, and straightening tables, then greeting customers and helping them find items they need. I then escort them to a fitting room and get additional items they want. I then ring up their sales. I learned from management how our store operates, visual displays, ordering merchandising for customers. Best part of my job is working with the customers, many of them I am on a first name basis. I enjoy helping them put together an outfit.

I need another part-time job and would like to go into merchandising going to different stores, straightening and stocking shelves, scanning inventory. I know I can be an asset to your company because of my sales experience.

Hardest part of this job is sometimes speeding up at the register when we are busy.
Pros
friendly atmosphere.
Cons
not getting enough part time hours, low pay
easy job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 1, 2016
Typical retail job, customers are what makes your day depending on their attitude. New store "leader" doesnt do much leading. Cut hours down to half of what they used to be, so payday isn't very exciting anymore. Espeically when you're trying to get your stuff together to be on your own. Co-workers and assisstant managers are awesome! Super nice, and make you feel very welcome.
Really an easy place to work, great company to work for, good environment overall.
Pros
great environtment
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, not enough hours.